Quote:
Originally Posted by ekimzulad View Post

***Attention A35 users using 5.1 Analog Out***

Anyone else experiencing these 2 problems with this combination:
1) Lip Sync issues?
2) Low Subwoofer Sound?

I'm experiencing both, please help!!!

Ekimzulad

I have no experience with these issues, but remember reading about a lip sync and low LFE sound on the XA2. These may have been fixed with a firmware and setting change on the XA2.

I am interested in hearing about any 5.1 analog problems on the A35 as the 5.1 analog would be my primary reason to purchase over the A2/A3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Hello fellow AVS'ers. I just got my A35 and have a few questions. If you can answer any of them then I have a $20 bill coming your way. Ok, not really, but I'd really appreciate it!

I have an older Yamaha RX-V795 receiver that doesn't have HDMI, but has 6 analog inputs (for External Decoder). For speakers I'm using 8 year old Klipsch Quntets, with a 10W sub. My TV is a Philips 52" LCD 7422D

1) Is it ok to use compositive cables and video cables to connect the 6 analog ports on the A35 to the receiver. I'm trying not to buy new cables and I have a box full of assorted cables, such as the ones I mentioned.

I don't see any problem with doing it that way. Make sure you label your RCA plugs, though.

2) Are these settings correct (to get TrueHD & DD+ decoded in player and passed on to receiver using 5.1 analogs):

Digital Out SPDIF = PCM
Correct if you use an optical cable, as well.

Digital Out HDMI = Auto
Doesnt' matter

Digital Direct Audio Mode = Off
Makes no difference unless using HDMI

Dynamic Range Control = Off
Useless, keep it off

Dialog Enhancement = Off
Useless, as well. Leave it off

Speaker Setting = 5.1ch
Correct

3) In the Speaker Settings, I choose small for all. In the Crossover Setting I choose 120W (I also set my sub to 120W). When I play the audio test, my sub sounds pretty low compared to my speakers (volume is set 1/2 way). Is this how it's supposed to sound?

Make sure that all crossover settings are off on your subwoofer, otherwise, the settings can be cancelled out. 100-120 hz seems like a good sub crossover setting for people that have non full range speakers. I would experiment with setting the speaker size to large. Find your owners manual for your speakers and check what their frequency range is. Ideally, they should be able to go down below 40hz. This way, if your receiver allows it, you can spread the bass across your front three and your sub. Again, I don't have a lot of experience using analog ins for HD DVD. I am sure there are plenty of other members who do this and can chime in.

4) I played my first HD-DVD movie yesterday, Phantom of the Opera, and noticed a slight lip sync. Any ideas how to correct this?

I have noticed 0 lip sync issues. However, I use HDMI

5) When playing SD-DVD's, should I use the analog 5.1 outputs (using the External Decoder setting on my receiver) or should I leave an optical cable connected to the A35 and switch from External Decoder to DVD. Does it really matter which cable I use for SD DVD's (playing DD & DTS)? I assume that if I want the receiver to decode DD & DTS I would then need to set the A35 to Bitscream, instead of PCM. That will be a pain to remember to do, every time I switch from HD-DVD to SD-DVD.

Tough for me to answer. I have never used analog ins, but I see their value. If I were you, I would run both an optical and analog connections. But thats just me. You need to invest in a sound pressure meter, as well. Get the one from Radio Shack. They are very cheap. Having this will allow you take the guesswork out of your speaker level settings. Every home should have one! :- )

6) In my Picture menu I have the following settings:

Enhanced Black Level = Off.
Personal preference used if your display does not show black properly. I'd leave it off. Or test to see which looks better. If when you set to on the detail in darker scenes disappears, turn it off

RGB Output range = Standard
Unless you are connecting to a PC monitor, leave at standard.

Picture Mode = Auto
Film is at 24fps, Video is at 30 or 60 fps. Your DVD player and display work together to allow the proper cadence of frames. Since it is very possible that you have a 60 frame set, I would leave this setting at auto. I have not witnessed nor heard of any problems with the 35 not detecting video or film properly.

Resolution Setting = up to 1080p/24
I've always felt you should have as few conversions as possible. Since your display cannot handle 24fps, set to 'up to 1080P'7)

I've noticed that in the menu of SD DVD's I have to switch back to the 1080p setting in order to navigate them. Is there a work around for this, or will I always have to switch back and forth between the settings when I access the menu and play the movie?

If you follow my advice in the last question, this shouldn't bother you anymore.

Thanks!
Ekimzulad

Answers are in RED!

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #273 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 PM

Thanks Will for taking the time to address my questions. Here is a follow up on some of your points:

Make sure that all crossover settings are off on your subwoofer, otherwise, the settings can be cancelled out. 100-120 hz seems like a good sub crossover setting for people that have non full range speakers. I would experiment with setting the speaker size to large. Find your owners manual for your speakers and check what their frequency range is. Ideally, they should be able to go down below 40hz. This way, if your receiver allows it, you can spread the bass across your front three and your sub. Again, I don't have a lot of experience using analog ins for HD DVD. I am sure there are plenty of other members who do this and can chime in.

I have the Klipsch Quintet 5.1 + 10w Sub combination. (see specs are here: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/quintet-ii.aspx) With this in mind, I wonder if I should set them to Small or Large, and what crossover frequency I should use? As I understand it, on small the sub takes care of all the base (or low frequencies). On my sub I have a knob where I can adjust the crossover frequency. Are you saying I should turn it down to 0, because it will cancel out the setting on the A35??

Resolution Setting = up to 1080p/24
I've always felt you should have as few conversions as possible. Since your display cannot handle 24fps, set to 'up to 1080P'7)

My Philips 52" LCD 7422 TV can accept a 1080p/24 source, but that's not it's native spec. I guess it's a matter of which device I want to do the 60 to 24 conversion, the HD player or the TV.

You need to invest in a sound pressure meter, as well. Get the one from Radio Shack. They are very cheap. Having this will allow you take the guesswork out of your speaker level settings. Every home should have one! :- )

Interesting suggestion. I'll have to look into this. I guess I'd need a calibration disc, like DVE or Avia that can play sounds from each speaker so I can measure them? And then do I adjust the "db" setting on the A35 to compensate? I read somewhere that I'm suppposed to set each one to 75db.

I played another HD-DVD last night, Transformers, and didn't notice any lip sync issues, so perhaps it's just with Phantom. But, using the analog outs on the A35 I did have to turn my sub volume almost to the max setting, where as normally I set it about half way when using optical.
post #274 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm still waiting for the Klipsch site to come up. I wanted to answer one item quickly while I was waiting.

If your subwoofer does not have an internal/external crossover switch, do not turn the crossover knob down, turn it up all the way to 120hz. If you didn't do that, if you, for example set your crossover at 100 and your subwoofer setting at 60, you would loose everything from 60hz to 100hz. And that would suck, big time.

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #275 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The Klipsch site didn't come up. I did get the info I needed, though. Yeah, the mains will only handle down to 100hz. I'm not familiar with the 5.1 setup on the 35. I would just make sure that that all frequencies below say, 120 hz went to your subwoofer. Don't let those mains do any bass work at all. If you are able, do some experimenting with your subs physical location so you can get maximum effect. Having the SPL meter that I mentioned previously would help immensely. Usually a corner is the best place to set your sub but YMMV.

I hope that I answered all of your questions, if not, let me know...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #276 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post

With my brand new A35 operating for a total of 1 full day, the following has occured with these discs:

300 "non combo". Very first disc I put in. Got a "NOT PLAY" on the player screen. Reloaded disc, played fine.

Knocked Up. 2nd disc I put in. Got a 6-7 digit error code. Reloaded disc, played fine.

Evan Almighty. Froze during Universal HD DVD logo screen. Entire unit was frozen. Unplugged unit, reloaded disc, played fine.

I've owned this new 3RD GENERATION unit since Saturday. Should these minor glitches be happening on a brand new unit that is now in its 3rd incarnation? I like the machine. Playback is great, but loading the movie 2 times to play it once is not something I want to keep doing. I'm on firmware 1.1 now.

HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED ANYTHING SIMILAR WITH THE A35?

No, I'd return it for a new one. There is clearly a problem with this unit.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #277 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 01:32 PM

I have not experienced any lip sync issues with ~10 HD-DVD's played so far.

My A35 was a direct drop in swap from my old A1 using the analog 5.1 outs and the bass seems just as loud as the A1's was. Watched "Hot Fuzz" last night and the sub/LFE was very active.
post #278 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optica View Post

I have not experienced any lip sync issues with ~10 HD-DVD's played so far.

My A35 was a direct drop in swap from my old A1 using the analog 5.1 outs and the bass seems just as loud as the A1's was. Watched "Hot Fuzz" last night and the sub/LFE was very active.

Thanks Optica! What audio settings are you using on the A35? Were you able to change the sub/LFE on your receiver? On mine, I can only lower the DB amount And lastly, did you change anything on the sub itself?

Thanks
post #279 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

I'm still waiting for the Klipsch site to come up. I wanted to answer one item quickly while I was waiting.

If your subwoofer does not have an internal/external crossover switch, do not turn the crossover knob down, turn it up all the way to 120hz. If you didn't do that, if you, for example set your crossover at 100 and your subwoofer setting at 60, you would loose everything from 60hz to 100hz. And that would suck, big time.

Here is a pic of the back of my sub http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/fra...sw10_panel.jpg
It doesn't look like it has the internal/external crossover switch that you describe, so I guess I'll turn the crossover all the way up to 120hz, and also set it up as 120hz in the A35 setup. And also use SMALL for all the speakers, so the sub does all the bass. Does that sound reasonable?
post #280 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes. That is correct. One more thing, though...Make sure the settings in your receiver match this, as well, if applicable. Regards...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #281 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 05:25 PM

Help!! I have a brand new A35 and I connected it via HDMI video and I am getting no signal, neither audio nor video. I connected a composite video cable and it is working. Do I have to do some initial setup before HDMI is enabled?

I have it connected to my Onkyo TX-SR705, which does HDMI out to my TV. Can anybody offer any advice?

LG 55" LED TV // Onkyo TX-SR705 // Custom MediaPortal HTPC // Toshiba Blu-ray and HD-DVD // Shaw 1TB DVR // Logitech Harmony 1100 remote // Wharfedale Diamond 5.1 audio

post #282 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I know this can sound offensive but check to make sure that the HDMI cables are connected properly. I've made that mistake before.

Also, using the composite cable, check the resolution setup on the A35 to ensure that it is inputting the proper signal (480p, 720p, 1080i/p) I think the 35 defaults to 1080p/24 and some displays don't like it and will not sync up. Try those, especially the resolution setup and see if it works.

Regards...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #283 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, make sure that you have the proper assigments in your 705. ie, DVD=HDMI 1, etc. That would also cause what you are describing...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #284 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 05:46 PM

The resolution looks like it was set to 1080i by default. I set it to 1080p/24 when I went in thru the composite cable, but I will reset it just to be sure. It went directly in place of an HD-A2 so I was hoping it would be plug and play, but I guess not.

Your help is appreciated

LG 55" LED TV // Onkyo TX-SR705 // Custom MediaPortal HTPC // Toshiba Blu-ray and HD-DVD // Shaw 1TB DVR // Logitech Harmony 1100 remote // Wharfedale Diamond 5.1 audio

post #285 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 05:49 PM

Works now!! I'm not sure if it was the firmware update, but I also checked that the cable was plugged into the receiver fully (it's a very stiff cable that could come loose easily). It probably was not plugged in properly. I shall hang my head in shame now :P

post #286 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm...I just replaced an A2 with an A35, using an Onkyo 605. It was pretty much plug and play. Something sounds weird here. I do not know if there are additional menu items on the 705 but I cannot think of anything that would prevent a signal from being processed or sent.

It should have been plug and play. Try iniatializing the 35, then reset all of your menu items to where you want them to be. Reset the 35 and hopefully all will be well. Keep us updated...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #287 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz83 View Post

Works now!! I'm not sure if it was the firmware update, but I also checked that the cable was plugged into the receiver fully (it's a very stiff cable that could come loose easily). It probably was not plugged in properly. I shall hang my head in shame now :P

Oh shoot! I didn't see your response before I posted. Congratulations!

Ah, don't hang your head in shame. I had a professor that once told me that if you make a mistake once and never make the same one again, you have learned something. And that makes it a good day.

Enjoy your new HD-A35!

Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #288 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 06:09 PM

Well, I'm pretty happy now! Pure Audio is working on my receiver, all I have to do is run the Audyssey setup now and I'm gonna be laughing. Oh hell, I'm already laughing

post #289 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

No, I'd return it for a new one. There is clearly a problem with this unit.

Returned it for another one and it does the same thing. Won't load. I'm sure my local Best Buy got a bad batch, but I'm going to avoiding any more 35 models. I still have the trusty A1 to fall back on. However, I may opt for the XA2.
post #290 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 PM

Has anyone with an A35 watched The Good Shepard the whole way through ? I was watching it tonight and experienced many audio drop outs and 2-3 second lip sync problems and then around chapt 13 the hd dvd refused to play. I restarted it several times and even gently washed the disc, but it never fixed anything. Good thing for combo discs...my wife insisted that we flip the disc over and finish the movie in SD (very noticeable difference) . I suppose that I just have a bad copy ??? Before I send it back to amazon I would like to confirm that it is the disc copy and not some disc specific glitch with the player ?
post #291 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Hmm...I just replaced an A2 with an A35, using an Onkyo 605. It was pretty much plug and play. Something sounds weird here. I do not know if there are additional menu items on the 705 but I cannot think of anything that would prevent a signal from being processed or sent.

It should have been plug and play. Try iniatializing the 35, then reset all of your menu items to where you want them to be. Reset the 35 and hopefully all will be well. Keep us updated...Will

Hi Will, I'm also considering pairing up my A35 with a SR-605 and I'd like to get your (and others) impressions on this setup:

a) Are you able to bitstream TrueHD and DTS-MA and DD+ so the SR-605 can process it instead of the A35?

b) Does it light up on your receiver showing the appropriate codec?

c) How does it sound compared to having the A35 do the decoding?

d) Can the A35 even decode DTS-MA or just bitstream to the receiver.

e) What are your overall impressions of the 605, is there another receiver in it's price class I should consider?

f) If I got the 605 instead of the 705, what am I missing out on other than the 1 HDMI and analog ports?

g) I wonder how it sounds using HDMI compared to my old Yamaha RX-V795 (which was $800 in it's heyday) using Analog 5.1.

h) I also want to buy a PS3 (or Samsung 1400) and connect it to the 2nd HDMI port on the SR-605. Then I guess I would only need to use 1 HDMI cable to connect to my TV. That being the case, would I lose the ability to change the TV's settings for each HDMI connection?

Thanks,
Ekimzulad
post #292 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Will, I'm also considering pairing up my A35 with a SR-605 and I'd like to get your (and others) impressions on this setup:

a) Are you able to bitstream TrueHD and DTS-MA and DD+ so the SR-605 can process it instead of the A35?

Yes, indeed...Witnessed by my own eyes.

b) Does it light up on your receiver showing the appropriate codec?

If it wasn't for the sound, I would say that this was the coolest part.

c) How does it sound compared to having the A35 do the decoding?

You just HAD to go there? J/K. Let's just say that there are more than several members that believe that. Yes.

d) Can the A35 even decode DTS-MA or just bitstream to the receiver.

Just bitstream to the receiver.

e) What are your overall impressions of the 605, is there another receiver in it's price class I should consider?

I knew I wanted this receiver the day it was announced. It was love at first sight. The Denon that it replaced cost more than three times what the 605 does. We live in a new world. It doesn't have to cost a mint. You just have to research. I love this receiver. I doubt there are very many components that have the same bang for the buck.

f) If I got the 605 instead of the 705, what am I missing out on other than the 1 HDMI and analog ports?

You know...If I don't own a piece of equipment or know someone that I trust that does, I generally don't say much about it.

g) I wonder how it sounds using HDMI compared to my old Yamaha RX-V795 (which was $800 in it's heyday) using Analog 5.1.

Please see posts e and f.

h) I also want to buy a PS3 (or Samsung 1400) and connect it to the 2nd HDMI port on the SR-605. Then I guess I would only need to use 1 HDMI cable to connect to my TV. That being the case, would I lose the ability to change the TV's settings for each HDMI connection?

Unfortunately, yes.

Thanks,
Ekimzulad

Answers to questions in RED...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #293 of 4877 Old 10-29-2007, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintakaX View Post

Has anyone with an A35 watched The Good Shepard the whole way through ? I was watching it tonight and experienced many audio drop outs and 2-3 second lip sync problems and then around chapt 13 the hd dvd refused to play. I restarted it several times and even gently washed the disc, but it never fixed anything. Good thing for combo discs...my wife insisted that we flip the disc over and finish the movie in SD (very noticeable difference) . I suppose that I just have a bad copy ??? Before I send it back to amazon I would like to confirm that it is the disc copy and not some disc specific glitch with the player ?

The Good Shephard is one of my favorite HD movies. On both my A2 and A35, I never had an issue. I will try and check the chapter 13 problem but the wife and little one are asleep. I have insomnia, so I am awake!
Once the boss leaves for work, I will check that section out and report back to you. Why? cause I'm such a nice guy, that's why!

Sorry, a little punchy, I am...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #294 of 4877 Old 10-30-2007, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I just watched The Good Shephard up to chapter 14. I didn't have any audio issues at all. However, on chapter 13, during the dinner scene with Laura, I had a one second video dropout. I backed up to see if it would happen again, it didn't.

You know, alot of people say that combo disks are problematic. Maybe you and I (especially you) just witnessed it. Who can say?

Considering the lockups, audio dropouts and lip sync issues, I would swap the disk out. My .02...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #295 of 4877 Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM View Post

I'm been looking at getting an A-35 since returning my D2. But I haven't seen any confirmation on the BTB or Color Space problems of the D2 using HDMI >DVI. I have the "The Last Starfighter" just burning a hole in my entertainment center, and all the reports about how good Transfomers is - is just killing me

Same question, except my problem is not with the A2 HDMI/DVI, it is with our TV. For some reason all pictures sent through the DVI input appear too dark.

Just spied the a35 on amazon for $389.98
Does the A35 have the same options for picture adjustment that the Xa2 does?

The reason I ask is our TV has a DVI input and nothing we put through it (not cable, not other DVD players) looks as sharp as composite cables (too dark), and I need the XA2's internal ability to adjust the picture.

thanks
post #296 of 4877 Old 10-30-2007, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

Same question, except my problem is not with the A2 HDMI/DVI, it is with our TV. For some reason all pictures sent through the DVI input appear too dark.

Just spied the a35 on amazon for $389.98
Does the A35 have the same options for picture adjustment that the Xa2 does?

The reason I ask is our TV has a DVI input and nothing we put through it (not cable, not other DVD players) looks as sharp as composite cables (too dark), and I need the XA2's internal ability to adjust the picture.

thanks

The A35 does not have the picture controls that the XA2 has.
post #297 of 4877 Old 10-30-2007, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Doctor,

Since your player is likely on a different input, is there any reason that you don't adjust that input to maximize the picture?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #298 of 4877 Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Doctor,

Since your player is likely on a different input, is there any reason that you don't adjust that input to maximize the picture?

No way to adjust it. I contacted the manufacturer about it months ago. No updates, nothing they recommend other than using composite instead of DVI.
post #299 of 4877 Old 10-30-2007, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post

The A35 does not have the picture controls that the XA2 has.

OK Thanks.
post #300 of 4877 Old 10-30-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Answers to questions in RED...Will

THANKS WILL!
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List