post #451 of 4877 Old 11-04-2007, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

Does the A35 downmix to DD or DTS through optical?

That depends on what track you select. Dolby tracks are output as DD, DTS tracks are output as DTS Surround.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4877 Old 11-04-2007, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumbo View Post

I did have a 100W transformer previously, and gave it away because of noise hum.

Will try the power press 4 times quickly, and I just pulled the ethernet out as well.

Still no go. Will pick up another 100W transformer.

You will only have hum if you are using a cheapo transformer. The last thing you want to use is a cheapo transformer. It's important you get a decent one for this job (not necessarily the most expensive, but not the cheapest either!)
post #453 of 4877 Old 11-04-2007, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

I have one of each (1.3a & "regular), both work, but my connections are less than 3-ft.

A "1.3a" cable should be no different from any other HDMI cable outside of the ever present question of raw cable and termination quality, but those aren't functions of "1.3a". This is just another advertising gimmic to sell cables. What is needed is a good quality HDMI cable, regardless of how it's named!
post #454 of 4877 Old 11-04-2007, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
TrevorS,
Thanks for you input. Was looking at the specs today for all players.

post #455 of 4877 Old 11-04-2007, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintakaX View Post

Tomorrow I will get my THIRD A35--this time from a different store (amazon). I'm going to do some experimenting before I upgrade to 1.1/1.1. Actually if it appears to work OK on the 3 discs I had trouble with, I'm not going to do the upgrade. The A35 really has such great capabilities. Its really a shame that so many units seem to have problems. I suppose Toshiba is aware of this...or not ? I suppose that I should also switch out the hdmi cable if I'm having problems, despite the fact that the same cable was working fine on an XA2...
If the third machine acts up, I'll really have to suspect something else, although I'd be at a loss as to what it could be ?

I've got my fingers crossed for ya.

Pics from my TV here and here.
post #456 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Will Munshower,
I pick up the Onkyo 805 today from CC for a great price today. What to with the yam 661 now.

Ah! Congratulations on the 805! Let us know what you think of the AQ when the receiver is doing the processing.

Me, I usually sell light items on Ebay
Heavy items like a receiver, I sell to my friends.

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #457 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

Correction, the corner is NOT usually the best place for a subwoofer. The effect of a corner is to maximally boost the sub output at certain room frequency modes, but that is very likely to result in more BOOMY bass, than GOOD bass. The optimal location is one that provides relatively smooth bass and is quite likely away from any corner but probably along a wall. Optimal placement usually requires experimentation.

That is why I said 'usually' and 'your mileage may vary'. I have discovered, given the obscure shape of my room and being a bass player, I found the sound of a subwoofer in the corner to be appealing. Subwoofer manufacturers such as Velodyne recommend corner placement. I must state that I don't take owner's manuals too seriously, though. I also stated that the poster should experiment with placement locations.

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #458 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm interested in seeing those assurances coming from somebody in a position to truly know. My understanding is the problem is common to each of the A20, A30, and A35. I'm interested in the A35, but not the problem !

I agree. I never stated with any certainty that this was going to be fixed. I was just relaying what was said to me by someone I consider to be a reliable source. I, personally, don't think it can be fixed via firmware. Due to the very nature of the 20/30/35 taking 1080p/24 down to 1080i/60 then to 1080p/60 seems like a rediculous chain of events to me.

If the ABT1018 can be programmed via firmware, all should be well. I won't believe till I see it. Believe me, I have a vested interest since I passed on an XA2 to buy an A35!

If something is fact, I will say so. Otherwise, I will definitely put in disclaimers, which I do often. There are hundreds here that know much more than me.

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #459 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A "1.3a" cable should be no different from any other HDMI cable outside of the ever present question of raw cable and termination quality, but those aren't functions of "1.3a". This is just another advertising gimmic to sell cables. What is needed is a good quality HDMI cable, regardless of how it's named!

Preach on, brother! I HATE marketing gimmicks such as this. Just like I needed to upgrade to a USB 2.0 cable...Yeah, right.

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #460 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 07:47 AM

I purchased the A35 Saturday to compliment my new Pio 6010 and Onkyo 875. I fired up the True HD audio on "300" and I was literally shocked how good it sounded. My wife say the sound was almost distracting because it was so real. When I purchased my first HD TV 6 years ago I would watch whatever crap Comcast had on both HD channels. Now I find myself looking for True HD audio on movies and will probably start repurchasing movies I have on DVD to get the better sound. I never thought I would become an audio snob but it appears I am going down that path quickly.
post #461 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Will Munshower,

The yam 661 has hdmi 1.2. What about SQ vs a receiver that can decode internally.

Quote:

Go directly to Circuit City on-line and check out the price on an Onkyo 805, and don't forget to use a readily-available 10% coupon (many listed on-line... check out dealnews.com)... great receiver!

Quote:

Will Munshower,
I pick up the Onkyo 805 today from CC for a great price today. What to with the yam 661 now.

Congrats! You are going to love the 805, and CC was giving them away I almost bought a second one
BTW: put the 661 out on the curb with a FREE sign on it Just kidding, sell it on ebay.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #462 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Whoa, I will really need 1.3a cables for my new A35 due tomorrow? I thought I read that any monoprice HDMI cable will work on this thing for HBR audio to a 1.3 AVR? What is everyone using?

Quote:

I have one of each (1.3a & "regular), both work, but my connections are less than 3-ft.

Quote:

That was my point. "I have one of each (1.3a & regular), both work, -snip-"
I will only purchase Monoprice HDMI, and if I ever need a 50-ft run (I don't, however, 3-ft only), I'll be sure to get the largest diameter wire (not cable, but the wires inside the cable jacket) possible... no matter what name they give it.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #463 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Congrats! You are going to love the 805, and CC was giving them away I almost bought a second one
BTW: put the 661 out on the curb with a FREE sign on it Just kidding, sell it on ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Ah! Congratulations on the 805! Let us know what you think of the AQ when the receiver is doing the processing.

Oops, I didn't see your answer, Will... good point about the weight. Of course, you could just charge the the buyer the exact shipping charge. For the 805, ground would be about $70, I don't know what the 661 would go.

post #464 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 09:08 AM

Hi all,

I found the hd-a35 player cannot play back 1080p at 24hz to my 720p projector, before I was able to play back 1080p/24hz using my PS3

Do I need to upgrade the firmware to 1.1/1.1 ?

My AV amp is denon 4308

Thanks
post #465 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did not know that the 805 had Burr-Brown DACs. Damn, that rocks. If it only had the Reon...Ah, I guess thats what the 875 is for!

Grubavs...Put it on the curb with a FREE sign! You're too much...LOL

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #466 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllee View Post

Hi all,

I found the hd-a35 player cannot play back 1080p at 24hz to my 720p projector, before I was able to play back 1080p/24hz using my PS3

Do I need to upgrade the firmware to 1.1/1.1 ?

My AV amp is denon 4308

Thanks

The PS3 has a forced mode for 24p output. The HD-A35 does not, it will only output what the handshake tells it the display is capable of.

Check what your signals your display is capable of receiving, that's the best you'll get until you upgrade your display.

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
post #467 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 AM

That's not completely correct. My Optima HD-70 projector accepts and takes 24hz and doubles to 48hz, and will actually take a 1080p 24hz input and display it at 720p 48hz. Problem is, that the handshake isn't correct. PS3 with forced mode will do it, A35 will not. Not all equipment does the handshake correctly, thus the need for forced 24fps.

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD supporter.
post #468 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

You may want to try Craig's list for heavy items that can't be shipped well/cheaply.
post #469 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Hi,

Could someone post a non 1-800 number to call from outside the US for Toshiba support please?

My A35 is still not booting up.

How is VE (Robert) for returns/support?

Serving IMHD, IMConnect, FAVIA
post #470 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hi,

Could someone post a non 1-800 number to call from outside the US for Toshiba support please?

www.toshiba.com

post #471 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Done that, and via email said to call 1-800, then Japan. Doesn't work for me.

Serving IMHD, IMConnect, FAVIA
post #472 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hi,

I also bought an A35 from VE (Robert) that doesn't boot up correctly. Last time I talked to him, he wanted me to wait until the next firmware. I sent him an email this morning stating that I didn't want to wait and I would like to exchange it. Haven't heard back yet.

The only problem with sending it back to VE is that you have to pay for the shipping. Some stores (like amazon.com, I believe) will pay for the return shipping back of a defective product. Also, I'm sure Toshiba itself may pay for the return of a defective product. I tried to contact Toshiba's 800 number, but after a half hour on hold, I gave up. I'll try again this afternoon.
post #473 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post

I've got my fingers crossed for ya.

Thanks Chris !
post #474 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Alright. I've got Clear and Present Danger paused so I can type this out.
First of all, received the new A-35 early this afternoon. Took it out of the box, hooked up the HDMI cable and power cord, turned it on and immediately inserted my ready-to-go firmware update disc for version 1.1. Took about 15 min. Initialized, did my settings for HBR audio. Ready to proceed.
Nice machine. Really nice machine. Loved seeing that TrueHD light up on my Pio Elite VSX-92. As you would expect, the audio presentation is incredible. PQ is about on par with the A2 for HD DVD content, IMO. (I have not tried an SD DVD yet) Right before the A35 arrived, I was watching disc 4 of Planet Earth (seasonal forests). Within 30-45 min of watching parts of it on an A2, I had it running on the A35. For me, there was no noticeable difference in PQ. Now, in AQ, there certainly was. Of course on the A2, DD+ is PCM'd into my AVR. On the A35, it was bitstreamed. (The Dolby symbol and DigitalPlus lit up on the AVR) AQ was more robust, dialog was crisper and a bit louder. I hadn't adjusted one thing on my AVR mind you.

This is where it gets fun. I have an HD DVD dts-HD Master Audio demo disc (I got it from a trade show) so of course, I'm ready to go with that. Insert the disc, hit play and look out. Speakers come alive with Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill. I had to turn down the AVR a few notches as everything started shaking.
The disc also has BT-Dynamic Symmetry (interesting track), Pat Metheny-Overture, another BT one called 1.618 and Omar Hakim's Listen Up!
Incredible stuff. dts-HD MA is just amazing.
Okay, I've gone on long enough. Now back to Jack Ryan kicking some druglord's ass.
post #475 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 03:34 PM

So we get 300 and Bourne for free with this player. I thought I read somewhere where we could get 5 additional HD-DVDs, but I don't see anything in my box. Can someone enlighten me please?
post #476 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyp View Post

So we get 300 and Bourne for free with this player. I thought I read somewhere where we could get 5 additional HD-DVDs, but I don't see anything in my box. Can someone enlighten me please?

Here!
post #477 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 03:41 PM

The 5 free HDDVDs are via Mail. You can download the Mail Form PDF from Toshiba HD-DVD website.
post #478 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Mine should arrive tomorrow according to Amazon.
post #479 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 05:45 PM

Hi Doom4400,

I am using Optima HD-70 projector , can you play back 1080p at 24hz using A35?

Do I need to update the latest firmware?
post #480 of 4877 Old 11-05-2007, 06:03 PM

Well I received my THIRD A35 today( this one from from amazon) and guess what ? It seems that I am cursed ! The dvd drawer will not open ! The front cover door is jammed. It looked funny when I first took it out of the box in that the top of the door was not flush with the front face of the unit. I have a feeling if I could get it to open once it might be OK. When it tries to open the top of the door is moved 1/4" but not enough for me to see whats jamming it. It appears that I am not destined to be a proud owner of this unit, unless I try yet again. For me there is no other hdvd player that I want. Does anyone know when a comparable unit is going to be released by anyone?
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page