**Official Toshiba HD-A35 (ONLY) Thread** - Page 163 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4861 of 4877 Old 09-21-2013, 11:40 AM

Location: Toronto Ontario Canada/ Port Charlotte Florida Port Charlotte Florida
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Owning the same equipment here are some things to try.

1. Make sure the proper selection is made for the HD player on the screen of the Denon usually DVD or HDP

2. Un plug the Denon for 30 seconds this will re set it no settings will be lost

3. Make Certain that the ports on screen display are the same as the one you are using. You can change the designations in the denon as they are assignable

4. Check the settings/out put screen set up in the Toshiba 3500 should be set to HDMI you can alternate to PCM

5 Use HDMI cables you know that work or buy a new one they are now send information both ways.

6. Re connect the HDMI cables

7. Try different HD discs.

8. By pass the Denon and go direct to the tv as a trial and error experiment.

9 Make certain that the TV is set to receive the signal from the denon. If you have a blu ray set up disconnect it and replace it with the Toshiba HD player.

Both Toshiba Denon and Sony have free telephone help lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 4877 Old 09-21-2013, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks James T! Will try your suggestions.

"I'm Your Huckleberry..."
post #4863 of 4877 Old 09-22-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post

7. Try different Blu ray discs.

"Try different Blu ray discs."? This is an HD DVD player so why would you try blu-ray discs as they wouldn't work?

lujan
687 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #4864 of 4877 Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 PM

Location: Toronto Ontario Canada/ Port Charlotte Florida Port Charlotte Florida
Liked: 19
should be HD discs my error
post #4865 of 4877 Old 09-22-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Can you summarize the problem in a shorter post? Might get more readers that way.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #4866 of 4877 Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 AM

Liked: 11
Ok, my HD-A35 has been hooked up but unused for quite a while. I have recently had more time for movie watching and started dipping back into the HD-DVD collection.

My player seems to have a problem though. Most (or all) discs seem to freeze at what I assume is the layer break. This happened on Knocked Up, The 40 Year Old Virgin, and Goodfellas. Fast forwarding a minute or two past the point of the freeze fixes the problem. On all movies, it was right around half-way or a little past half-way through the movie. I don't suppose anybody has any ideas or experience with this? For the freeze on Goodfellas, I actually had to unplug the power from the player and restart the player. I may just toss the player if nobody has any good ideas.

I pulled my old HD-A2 out of storage, hooked it up, and updated the firmware. I skipped to the problematic chapter on Goodfellas and there was no freeze. I also tried the disc in my computer using the GGC-H20L drive and it worked fine as well on the problematic chapter. I would rather use the HD-A35 than the HD-A2 or the HTPC, but I would rather not miss a minute out of the middle of each movie to fix the freeze.
post #4867 of 4877 Old 10-07-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Happens to me too redface.gif

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #4868 of 4877 Old 10-20-2013, 11:10 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone have a copy of the A35 firmware version 1.3 or know where I could get it? The Toshiba firmware links through the forums are no longer active and the Toshiba support site only has firmware version 4.0 available.
post #4869 of 4877 Old 10-21-2013, 03:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruser View Post

Ok, my HD-A35 has been hooked up but unused for quite a while. I have recently had more time for movie watching and started dipping back into the HD-DVD collection.

My player seems to have a problem though. Most (or all) discs seem to freeze at what I assume is the layer break. This happened on Knocked Up, The 40 Year Old Virgin, and Goodfellas. Fast forwarding a minute or two past the point of the freeze fixes the problem. On all movies, it was right around half-way or a little past half-way through the movie. I don't suppose anybody has any ideas or experience with this? For the freeze on Goodfellas, I actually had to unplug the power from the player and restart the player. I may just toss the player if nobody has any good ideas.

I pulled my old HD-A2 out of storage, hooked it up, and updated the firmware. I skipped to the problematic chapter on Goodfellas and there was no freeze. I also tried the disc in my computer using the GGC-H20L drive and it worked fine as well on the problematic chapter. I would rather use the HD-A35 than the HD-A2 or the HTPC, but I would rather not miss a minute out of the middle of each movie to fix the freeze.

If you haven't already tossed your HD-A35, try this.

When I had my A-1 permanently plugged into the power outlet, I had freezes on several disk.

Unplugged it, put it into the closet for a couple of years.

Plugged it back in and it played a disk just fine with no freezes.

Left it plugged in and a few days later, tried to play a disk and it did the whole freezing thing again.

Wound up tossing it but got thinking about it later. I'd bet that leaving it connected to power caused some kind of heat failure.

If you can, unplug it for a few hours and then plug it in and play a disk immediately. If that works, then your solution is to unplug it when you're not using it.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4870 of 4877 Old 10-21-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kennedy View Post

Does anyone have a copy of the A35 firmware version 1.3 or know where I could get it? The Toshiba firmware links through the forums are no longer active and the Toshiba support site only has firmware version 4.0 available.

I can check and see because I used to keep all the versions?

lujan
687 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #4871 of 4877 Old 10-21-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks, if you could check I would really appreciate it.
post #4872 of 4877 Old 10-21-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried to send it to you as a PM with an attachment and kept getting this error:

"AJAX response unable to be parsed as a valid JSON object."

lujan
687 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #4873 of 4877 Old 12-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think my unit just died. No red light when plugged in. No response to power button. .. Nothing..... It's just dead. Any suggestions?
post #4874 of 4877 Old 12-27-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 View Post

I think my unit just died. No red light when plugged in. No response to power button. .. Nothing..... It's just dead. Any suggestions?

I don't recall, is there a fuse internal to these machines?

Al
post #4875 of 4877 Old 01-03-2014, 02:38 PM

Liked: 13
If someone needs the HD-A35 firmware's, I keep an archive of them in ISO format. I have 1.1, 1.3, 2.0 and 4.0.

Send me a PM.
post #4876 of 4877 Old 01-12-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 View Post

If you are not a technical person, the most feasible thing to do, if you want to be able to play HD DVDs again, is to find another player for sale. Also, offer yours for sale as is; it may have value to someone who can mix and match parts from more than one player to make a good one.

The technical ideas include checking inside the machine for a blown fuse and otherwise testing its power supply.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #4877 of 4877 Old 01-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

If you are not a technical person, the most feasible thing to do, if you want to be able to play HD DVDs again, is to find another player for sale. Also, offer yours for sale as is; it may have value to someone who can mix and match parts from more than one player to make a good one.

The technical ideas include checking inside the machine for a blown fuse and otherwise testing its power supply.

I checked the fuse. Works. No blown caps. Looks flawless inside. I hate electronics.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page