Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4877 Old 11-09-2007, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobogan View Post

Just got my A35 the other night - so far I love it! I have a couple of questions for you guys though...

I currently have it hooked up via HDMI to my Samsung HL-T5676S DLP set. For audio I'm using the 5.1 analog outs into my DENON 2802 AVR.

My biggest issue right now is the level of the audio - With my old DENON 2200 connected via toslink, we would listen with the volume set at -18 and the walls would shake. The other night, after tweaking everything with a sound pressure meter, I had the AVR at -4 watching transformers, and still didn't feel it was loud enough. I know that people have said the Transformers HD-DVD is lax in the LFE, but I've spot checked both the freebies from the box and a few SD-DVDs, and I have to crank the AVR to get to the volume I was listening at before. I've searched through this thread and have not really seen much mention of this, so I don't know if it's common - any ideas? I'm not sure there's much I need to do on the AVR side, being that I just have it set to "Ext. Inputs" and using it for amplification....

Secondly, how do I know if I'm getting 1080P/24? I've looked all over the 'net trying to see if my HL-T5676S can do 1080P/24, but haven't been able to find anything. I have the A35 set to "up to 1080P/24" and when I hit the display button on the remote, it shows "10820P" - would it also specify the 24fps on that screen as well?

Other than those questions, I'm loving this unit! Upconverting on it is awesome - I put in my DVD of The Incredibles last night and it was absolutely stunning.

Is your audio setting Bitstream or PCM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4877 Old 11-09-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anairns View Post

my display (Panasonic 750 series) can't accept 1080p/24, only 1080p/60. Pardon my ignorance but why should I set the max output to 1080i because my display only accepts 180p/60?

be gentle...

I have a similar question. My samsung only accepts 1080p/60 but I have a Onkyo 605 which allows for 1.3 HDMI -- I guess for True HD sound?. Would I get a the benefit of the A35 with regard to the picture or would I be just as well off with a A2?
post #543 of 4877 Old 11-09-2007, 07:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anairns View Post

my display (Panasonic 750 series) can't accept 1080p/24, only 1080p/60. Pardon my ignorance but why should I set the max output to 1080i because my display only accepts 180p/60?

be gentle...

Unless the video decoder in this player is different from other Toshiba models, the output from the decoder will be 1080i. Set the resolution on the player "up to 1080i". Set the resolution on your 905 to 1080p/60 (if that in fact is the native resolution of your display). The Reon will then properly deinterlace and apply 3:2 pulldown to the 1080i signal and produce an outstanding picture at 1080p/60. It does on my DTR 8.8. The deinterlacer and scaler in the Reon is much better than the ABT chip in the A35.
post #544 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Tango View Post

Unless the video decoder in this player is different from other Toshiba models, the output from the decoder will be 1080i. Set the resolution on the player "up to 1080i". Set the resolution on your 905 to 1080p/60 (if that in fact is the native resolution of your display). The Reon will then properly deinterlace and apply 3:2 pulldown to the 1080i signal and produce an outstanding picture at 1080p/60. It does on my DTR 8.8. The deinterlacer and scaler in the Reon is much better than the ABT chip in the A35.

Exactly.
post #545 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezthis View Post

I'm within 30 days, I might just exchange the damn thing then.

I wish you luck my friend. This A35 is my third one. I'm still trying to figure out why there are so many people using 1.1/1.1 with no problmes. On my system with this newest A35, 1.0/1.1 would play The Good Shepard and recover from an error (Chapt 16 I think). After going to 1.1/1.1, at the same spot in the movie, the A35 quits with an unrecoverable error. I also have DD+ audio dropouts in movies that previously (1.0/1.1) played OK, this is only with HBR streaming. I've decided I'm just going to wait it out and hope that the next frimware will be better ?
post #546 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Is it me only, my display is on 1080p/24Hz. When I got into HD I was interested in clarity of the picture. I have a Toshiba 42HL167 with the HD-A35. I play my SD King Kong, SD Transformers and SD AVP Alien/Predator and they are amazing. I played the HD promos Bourne Identity and 300 discs and they are clear but quite frankly if there is a difference I sure can't see it. I have mentioned the above info on a previous post right after I hooked up the A-35. At that time I hadn't really viewed the HD promos through just a quick view. Since then I have checked them out and as I said don't see a difference. I have my Yamaha soundbar and woofer hook up with optical and TrueHD is not possible and not something I was trying for, I am satisfied with sound. My big question is why spend extra money on HD movies if the SD movies are as clear. I did checkout the best HD movies clarity/viewing reviews and a bunch said Transformers and King Kong were really great, If I purchase the HDs will they be better than my SD movies. I am just a tad confused. Now on SD television viewing I get a very good picture, actually as good as my CRT TV. I am on DISH Network. I mention this because a lot of TV reviews say they have problems with SD viewing. I am not complaining about anything just wanting to see if anybody else is seeing the same thing.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
post #547 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasko View Post

I played the HD promos Bourne Identity and 300 discs and they are clear but quite frankly if there is a difference I sure can't see it.

Promos are typically in SD. What HD DVD discs have you watched. You should see a difference in say comparing SD Transformers & HD DVD Transformers. Not night & day, but noticeable.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #548 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

Promos are typically in SD. What HD DVD discs have you watched. You should see a difference in say comparing SD Transformers & HD DVD Transformers. Not night & day, but noticeable.

Question? Why would they put 2 promos in the box and I am looking at the Bourne Identity one right now and it say on top HDDVD and on the back it says under the Main Feature that it is a 1080p High-Definition Widescreen 2.35:1 and under the Special Features it says 480/p Standard Definition. Now I am wondering about the 5 extra HDs coming. I am very pleased with the player have not had any problems at all just as I said confused. No I have not viewed any other HD movies I have been so busy viewing old SD movies and trying to save money after new TV-Sound System and Player purchases. Its either that or I will be a looking for a new home my wife is only so patient.

post #549 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 03:33 PM
aod
Advanced Member

Quote:

Question? Why would they put 2 promos in the box and I am looking at the Bourne Identity one right now and it say on top HDDVD and on the back it says under the Main Feature that it is a 1080p High-Definition Widescreen 2.35:1 and under the Special Features it says 480/p Standard Definition. Now I am wondering about the 5 extra HDs coming. I am very pleased with the player have not had any problems at all just as I said confused. No I have not viewed any other HD movies I have been so busy viewing old SD movies and trying to save money after new TV-Sound System and Player purchases. Its either that or I will be a looking for a new home my wife is only so patient.

All of the mail ins are %100 HD don't worry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now viewing the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the
post #550 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Maybe I missed it in this thread, but is there a way to revert from 1.1/1.1 back to 1.0/1.1. My player would handle dvd menus perfectly, even with 1080p24. I updated firmware, and now it's horrible. I'd rather not have to change resolutions each time I navigate the menu.

So, is there a way to revert back?

I'm having this same problem, but I haven't checked my firmware version yet. I'll do that next. I thought it was a problem with my HDMI cable at first, but narrowed it down eventually to the player.

As I am experiencing the problem, when you play a standard DVD and the Toshiba is set to "up to 1080p/24," certain parts of the menu can't be navigated. When I switch the A35 to output 1080i, I have no problem. Is that what you are experiencing?

EDIT: Found this problem addressed in the initial first post on features. Sorry.
post #551 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it me only, my display is on 1080p/24Hz. When I got into HD I was interested in clarity of the picture. I have a Toshiba 42HL167 with the HD-A35. I play my SD King Kong, SD Transformers and SD AVP Alien/Predator and they are amazing. I played the HD promos Bourne Identity and 300 discs and they are clear but quite frankly if there is a difference I sure can't see it. I have mentioned the above info on a previous post right after I hooked up the A-35. At that time I hadn't really viewed the HD promos through just a quick view. Since then I have checked them out and as I said don't see a difference. I have my Yamaha soundbar and woofer hook up with optical and TrueHD is not possible and not something I was trying for, I am satisfied with sound. My big question is why spend extra money on HD movies if the SD movies are as clear. I did checkout the best HD movies clarity/viewing reviews and a bunch said Transformers and King Kong were really great, If I purchase the HDs will they be better than my SD movies. I am just a tad confused. Now on SD television viewing I get a very good picture, actually as good as my CRT TV. I am on DISH Network. I mention this because a lot of TV reviews say they have problems with SD viewing. I am not complaining about anything just wanting to see if anybody else is seeing the same thing.

The movies that came with the player are HD DVD, but they're both grainy by design, especially 300. It's the way they were made by their directors. Go buy or rent King Kong or Transformers in HD DVD so you can compare that to your SD version, then you'll see the difference.

Pics from my TV
and
post #552 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintakaX View Post

I wish you luck my friend. This A35 is my third one. I'm still trying to figure out why there are so many people using 1.1/1.1 with no problmes. On my system with this newest A35, 1.0/1.1 would play The Good Shepard and recover from an error (Chapt 16 I think). After going to 1.1/1.1, at the same spot in the movie, the A35 quits with an unrecoverable error. I also have DD+ audio dropouts in movies that previously (1.0/1.1) played OK, this is only with HBR streaming. I've decided I'm just going to wait it out and hope that the next frimware will be better ?

I just rewatched Tranformers the other day and did notice split second audio dropouts, probably about 6 or so throughout the whole movie. I also paused in the middle and when I came back a few minutes later to hit play the audio was out of sync. A quick rewind/play fixed it.

Compared to what I had before, and what you keep having, I'll take it. I haven't gotten the 408bc504 error code since upgrading to 1.1.

Pics from my TV
and
post #553 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post

The movies that came with the player are HD DVD, but they're both grainy by design, especially 300. It's the way they were made by their directors. Go buy or rent King Kong or Transformers in HD DVD so you can compare that to your SD version, then you'll see the difference.

Thank You chrisO, I never thought of renting a HD movie. I have not rented anything since early VHS days. With TV Pay Per View movies and recorders its easier to sit at home and not rent. A lot cheaper to rent 1st to check it all out. This may ward off a quickie divorce down the road. I do not mind buying the HD movies, just did not want to buy something that was the same as what I was already viewing. It looks like I may have some exceptional movie viewing down the road.

post #554 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post

I heard from another post that the 2 HDs I received with the HD-A35 are director made grainy type movies. So it appears I will have some viewing surprises coming. I am also going to rent some HD movies (another post) before I purchase to cover my backside before I buy.
Thank You for your reply.

post #555 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post

I just rewatched Tranformers the other day and did notice split second audio dropouts, probably about 6 or so throughout the whole movie. I also paused in the middle and when I came back a few minutes later to hit play the audio was out of sync. A quick rewind/play fixed it.

Compared to what I had before, and what you keep having, I'll take it. I haven't gotten the 408bc504 error code since upgrading to 1.1.

Glad its all good for you Chris. I watched 12 Monkeys tonight and had many split second audio dropouts throughout the movie when bitstreaming the DD+ track. Switching to PCM cured it, but the HBR streaming is the reason I got the A35. You have a Sony 5300ES reciever, right ?
post #556 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Crap, I really want the A35 to bitstream the advanced audio, but with all these problems I am hesitant.
post #557 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobogan View Post

My biggest issue right now is the level of the audio - With my old DENON 2200 connected via toslink, we would listen with the volume set at -18 and the walls would shake. The other night, after tweaking everything with a sound pressure meter, I had the AVR at -4 watching transformers, and still didn't feel it was loud enough. I know that people have said the Transformers HD-DVD is lax in the LFE, but I've spot checked both the freebies from the box and a few SD-DVDs, and I have to crank the AVR to get to the volume I was listening at before. I've searched through this thread and have not really seen much mention of this, so I don't know if it's common - any ideas? I'm not sure there's much I need to do on the AVR side, being that I just have it set to "Ext. Inputs" and using it for amplification....

How did you set up the HDMI audio in the setup menu? If you have no HDMI you must set it to "downmixed PCM". Don't keep the "auto" default setup. Setting AUTO or PCM reduces the output level of analog out and optical bitstream.
post #558 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 10:14 PM

I have my A35 today and i have a question, can update my firmware up to 1.0/1.2 when is available because to many have probleme with 1.1 and i d'ont need buggy 1.1 firmware because my player work perfectely with 1.0 ???

When 1.2 is available do i need to update at 1.1 before install 1.2 ??
post #559 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Good evening Gentlemen, and any ladies that may be here too. This is my first post on the forum, however, I have been a long time lurker. I have been visiting this thread off and on from the start with great interest. I have finally received my A35 on Friday and I am sooo excited to have it! I finally stopped worrying and learned to love both formats. Like a lot of you, I keep up to date regularly about the world of Hi-Def so I don't have the anxiety about which format will win or lose. As long as I get great hi-def pics and sound. I would like to share some of my findings with the group too.

Will-
I too experienced the strange shifting between 48khz and 96khz. However, something very interesting to note is a DTS HD MA sampler HD DVD that someone else mentioned a couple of pages back that has a track on it that is in both 7.1 and in 96khz! Confirmed by checking the signal status on my Denon 3808Ci. It said fS 96khz and showed 3/4/.1 vs. 3/2/.1 Everything else was sampled at 48khz and in 3/2/.1 (even though one other track said it was supposed to be 7.1, it wasn't). This was done with SPDIF in both Bitstream and PCM along with HDMI set to Auto and Digital Direct set to ON. I remember someone else saying here that the current crop of HD DVD's are at 48khz and I would have to second this based on the fact that the A35 will output 96khz regardless of what SPDIF is set to. Hope that is helpful.

Now the dark side
Like several have started reporting (i.e. Marine, Chris0, et al) I too have experienced audio drop outs. I immediately updated the firmware right out of the box so I have Zero experience with the A35 in FW1.0 The update went smoothly via ethernet and took about 20 minutes total to update (though my DSL is not the fastest out there). This happened while I was watching Transformers with my family. My wife even asked if there was something wrong with the sound. The dropouts were split second quick, just enough to know something is wrong, and they would happen every couple to few minutes. Seemed to be dependent on how much action there was going on the screen. My audio finally went dead when the human arrive at Hoover Dam while Optimus is giving his narration about why we are worthy of being saved. I stopped playback and started back up, jumped to the scene and had sound again, but still with dropouts. After that movie was over, I tried The Matrix with Dolby THD. I didn't watch it the entire way through but I did several long scenes in a row and didn't hear any dropouts. Sounds to be pretty consistant with what others are saying in that it may be a problem with DD+ tracks. Will have to experiment more when I have more time. Oh, I did try Transformers in PCM also and had no dropouts there either. The DTS HD MA sampler also had no dropouts. Curious.

Sorry that was really long winded for a first post, but I wanted to help confirm what others are having trouble with and let you know you are not alone. Hope I can be a useful member to this discussion. If anyone would like me to experiment using the Denon let me know. These problems definately are not limited to those using the Onkyo's. Thanks for listening.

Eric Sapp

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #560 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintakaX View Post

You have a Sony 5300ES reciever, right ?

correct.

Pics from my TV
and
post #561 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiboy24 View Post

When 1.2 is available do i need to update at 1.1 before install 1.2 ??

Nope. Whatever is available replaces whatever you have completely, they don't stack on top of each other.

Pics from my TV
and
post #562 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

esappy, welcome to the boards and welcome to the purple side of things...it's the only way to fly!

I guess I'll just go PCM when I watch a DD+ HD DVD.

Pics from my TV
and
post #563 of 4877 Old 11-10-2007, 11:37 PM

Just picked up my Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD Player with 10 Free HD-DVD's (2 in the box [300 & The Bourne Identity], 3 free instantly in-store [King Kong, Transformers & Children of Men] and the 5 free mail-in rebate from Toshiba) for $390.00 from Best Buy..

How'd I do?

- R
post #564 of 4877 Old 11-11-2007, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post

Just to mention, the movie "300" that's included in the box, is HD only. The retail version of "300" is combo SD/HD.
post #565 of 4877 Old 11-11-2007, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandysWay View Post

Just picked up my Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD Player with 10 Free HD-DVD's (2 in the box [300 & The Bourne Identity], 3 free instantly in-store [King Kong, Transformers & Children of Men] and the 5 free mail-in rebate from Toshiba) for $390.00 from Best Buy..

How'd I do?

How'd you get the $390 price from Best Buy? I bought mine for $450 at BB....may have to price match if you have link...thx
post #566 of 4877 Old 11-11-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudetta View Post

How did you set up the HDMI audio in the setup menu? If you have no HDMI you must set it to "downmixed PCM". Don't keep the "auto" default setup. Setting AUTO or PCM reduces the output level of analog out and optical bitstream.

So in my situation I am running the HDMI straight to the TV for video and the optical to the receiver for audio. Are these the settings I should be running too?

I will be getting a new receiver for Christmas either the Onkyo 805 or the Denon 2808CI so then I won't need to worry about it.
post #567 of 4877 Old 11-11-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post

Now the dark side
Like several have started reporting (i.e. Marine, Chris0, et al) I too have experienced audio drop outs. I immediately updated the firmware right out of the box so I have Zero experience with the A35 in FW1.0 The update went smoothly via ethernet and took about 20 minutes total to update (though my DSL is not the fastest out there). This happened while I was watching Transformers with my family. My wife even asked if there was something wrong with the sound. The dropouts were split second quick, just enough to know something is wrong, and they would happen every couple to few minutes. Seemed to be dependent on how much action there was going on the screen. My audio finally went dead when the human arrive at Hoover Dam while Optimus is giving his narration about why we are worthy of being saved. I stopped playback and started back up, jumped to the scene and had sound again, but still with dropouts. After that movie was over, I tried The Matrix with Dolby THD. I didn't watch it the entire way through but I did several long scenes in a row and didn't hear any dropouts. Sounds to be pretty consistant with what others are saying in that it may be a problem with DD+ tracks. Will have to experiment more when I have more time. Oh, I did try Transformers in PCM also and had no dropouts there either. The DTS HD MA sampler also had no dropouts. Curious.

Eric Sapp

Does Toshiba know about these DD+ dropouts using bitstream over HDMI? This does seem to be a recurring theme...at least a dozen people on here are experiencing it.
It is the only track that is giving me fits. TrueHD, DTS-HD MA all work fine. DD+ gives me dropouts on several titles.
I don't want to have to use PCM for this. I can certainly tell a difference when the AVR does the DD+ decoding.
post #568 of 4877 Old 11-11-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Maybe I missed it in this thread, but is there a way to revert from 1.1/1.1 back to 1.0/1.1. My player would handle dvd menus perfectly, even with 1080p24. I updated firmware, and now it's horrible. I'd rather not have to change resolutions each time I navigate the menu.

So, is there a way to revert back?

i wanted to know also so i contacted toshiba. this is their response: "I apologize for the inconvenience but you will not be bale to back-track and revert back to 1.0, all firmware updates are permanent."
post #569 of 4877 Old 11-11-2007, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Does Toshiba know about these DD+ dropouts using bitstream over HDMI? This does seem to be a recurring theme...at least a dozen people on here are experiencing it.
It is the only track that is giving me fits. TrueHD, DTS-HD MA all work fine. DD+ gives me dropouts on several titles.
I don't want to have to use PCM for this. I can certainly tell a difference when the AVR does the DD+ decoding.

Not sure if they are aware of the problem or not. But I guarantee they will know soon. Probably won't be until Tuesday though as I bet they will be unavailable today and tomorrow due to the Holiday. I am going to send off an email about it and I will also give them a call.

Maestro, you are the one who also has the DTS HD MA sampler, correct? Could you check out the 5th track and see if it shows up at 96khz for you too? I was pretty excited when I got to see the "holy grail" of DTS HD MA in 7.1 @ 96khz light up on my 3808Ci and just wanted to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Everything else showed up at 48khz. Thanks.

Eric Sapp

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #570 of 4877 Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcfan View Post

So in my situation I am running the HDMI straight to the TV for video and the optical to the receiver for audio. Are these the settings I should be running too?

I will be getting a new receiver for Christmas either the Onkyo 805 or the Denon 2808CI so then I won't need to worry about it.

Yes, in audio setting, you have to set HDMI to Downmixed PCM

Quote of page 22 of the manuel :
Note
Setting Auto or PCM will reduce output level of multi channel sound from the ANALOG AUDIO OUTPUT jacks and the DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT BITSTREAM/PCM jack if you:
- view the playback picture on an HDMI TV connected to this player.

- play an HD DVD video disc of a certain type, recorded in linear PCM format.
In this case, the output level will be restored by setting to Downmixed PCM.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page