Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Is it just me or does it seem like a vast majority of members who bought an A-35 also own an HDMI 1.3a capable receiver?

I wonder why that is?

I have 2 A35s & an Onkyo SR805 & a Onkyo SR875 (and a BDP1400 & PS3)
I went from a XA1, BDP1000 & Onkyo NR1000 in my bedroom plus a XBOX360 addon, PS3 & a Sony 5200ES receiver in another. Then went to a XA2 & a BDP1200. Once Bitstream capabilities became available, I had to upgrade. What can I say, I love my toys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
FWIW - I did successfully do the ethernet update this morning . . . Interestingly, once the DL steps were completed and the install steps were completed, when I tried to restart the player, it wouldn't really turn on. It hung at the "welcome" screen on the front panel, but had no video output. I had to power cycle twice before it finally asked me for date/time and read 1.1/1.1. So far, everything seems to work.
post #33 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it just me or does it seem like a vast majority of members who bought an A-35 also own an HDMI 1.3a capable receiver?

I wonder why that is?

It must be just you. I am one of the few HD-A35 owners WITHOUT an HDMI 1.3a capable receiver ... but that may change in the next 3 weeks. So far the analog outs have been getting me by.

Incidently, I'd like the 1st page of this thread to be updated as new information comes available. I hate to hunt down info in long threads.

Example: The link to the firmware upgrade could be pointed to post #89 (my detailed instructions) or other detailed instructions to avoid users from having to spend time hunting.

Also the 1.1 firmware upgrade fixed the lip sync issue since I tested the exact same discs and chapters. It is not a maybe, it is known.

Firmware 1.1 did not fix the 1080p/60 de-interlacing issue. 1080p/24 is still o.k.

k
post #34 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, count me in; I just ordered an A35!

Has anybody done the firmware upgrade via a wireless connector to the ethernet plug? I have a Mac so I don't know if buring discs to do firmware upgrades will be a challenge for me?
post #35 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

It must be just you. I am one of the few HD-A35 owners WITHOUT an HDMI 1.3a capable receiver ... but that may change in the next 3 weeks.

You will be very happy when you get yours...I know that I love mine!

Best regards...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #36 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Watching Transformers lastnite with that great D.D.+ soundtrack was awesome!

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #37 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

Incidently, I'd like the 1st page of this thread to be updated as new information comes available. I hate to hunt down info in long threads.

Example: The link to the firmware upgrade could be pointed to post #89 (my detailed instructions) or other detailed instructions to avoid users from having to spend time hunting.
k

Done and done.

Unfortunately, I seem to have two persistent problems even after the firmware update.
1) the player doesn't start up the first time I push the power button. it hangs with the "welcome" on the front panel and does nothing - no HDDVD light illumination, no response to button pushes, etc.. I have to then force it to power off by holding down the power button for 12 secs and then immediately push it on again, and then the player will startup. Anyone else with this problem? Thoughts?

2) I am unable to navigate SDDVD menus. It seems like they don't load correctly or completely - audio is choppy, the options don't hilight, the directional arrows have no effect (except very, very sporatically). Again, thoughts? SD DVDs tested include Pearl Harbor, Master and Commander, U571.

I'm not sure if this was a problem before or after the firmware update. I'm thinking there's a hardware issue here . . .

UPDATE: Called Toshiba tech support - they said this was a hardware problem and to send it back for repairs. GRRRRR. Calling VE for a replacement. . . AND replacement on the way . . .
post #38 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 10:14 AM

Liked: 12
I'm been looking at getting an A-35 since returning my D2. But I haven't seen any confirmation on the BTB or Color Space problems of the D2 using HDMI >DVI. I have the "The Last Starfighter" just burning a hole in my entertainment center, and all the reports about how good Transfomers is - is just killing me
post #39 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 10:50 AM

I posted this in the other all inculsive 3rd gen thread. Since i had alot of problems getting 1.1 on my player i figured i would post this here too.

This is a link to the program i used to burn the the firmware 1.1 iso to cd, http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm , thanks IBL8. I couldn't update my through the ethernet port, and when i tried using my regular burning software my a 35 wouldn't reconize the disc. It wasn't until i used the iso burner in the link at 2x speed that i finally got my player to reconize the cd and in about fifteen minutes my firmware was updated. Since doing this i have gotten no error messages or audio dropouts.
post #40 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Just finished watching 300. Wow. I'm hooked on HD movies now. Anyone with a big screen must get off the fence and get into HD-DVD or Blu-ray. I never thought the video AND sound would be so much of an improvement.

Next week I should be getting my Denon 3808 and thanks to all those of you with the A-35/AVR-3808 combo, I'll be sure to get the firmware update immediatly.

So far no bigs or other isses to report. I've only watched one movie straight through, but I've skipped through 3 or 4 others. The A-35 seems to be a decent machine.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

post #41 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I just watched Transformers on my new 52inch XBR, PQ is unbelievable. Sharp as a nail. I was really blown away by the experience. This was the best experience I've ever had on high def disc, no kidding. Too bad the movie wasn't that great. The HD-A35 delivered, yet again.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #42 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 12:25 PM

ordered my A-35 from the states yesterday. we havnt got this model here in australia yet so im looking foward to receiving it soon. its good to get all this good info from you guys here.
also can anyone recommend wheres a good place to buy hd-dvds from? over here in australia blue-ray seems the go but im going down the hd-dvd track
post #43 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Was it better with the 905 decoding? j/k

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." -Sir Walter Scott

post #44 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I have a question:

After a power failure or firmware update, the unit asks me to set the time. After doing so, it just says "WELCOME" on the unit's LCD and the screen remains black until I hit a button to open the tray or whatnot - it then works normally. Everyone's unit like this? Trying to see if this is related to the problem below or if this is a normal player response.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #45 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLawren View Post

Done and done.

Unfortunately, I seem to have two persistent problems even after the firmware update.
1) the player doesn't start up the first time I push the power button. it hangs with the "welcome" on the front panel and does nothing - no HDDVD light illumination, no response to button pushes, etc.. I have to then force it to power off by holding down the power button for 12 secs and then immediately push it on again, and then the player will startup. Anyone else with this problem? Thoughts?

UPDATE: Called Toshiba tech support - they said this was a hardware problem and to send it back for repairs. GRRRRR. Calling VE for a replacement. . . AND replacement on the way . . .

Before you send it away, try this as I had the same problem:

Go to the place where you did the firmware update and hit "Initialize". That seemed to fix the problem #1 you listed for me I had a while ago.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #46 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

I have a question:

After a power failure or firmware update, the unit asks me to set the time. After doing so, it just says "WELCOME" on the unit's LCD and the screen remains black until I hit a button to open the tray or whatnot - it then works normally. Everyone's unit like this? Trying to see if this is related to the problem below or if this is a normal player response.

See my reply in the other thread you posted to.
post #47 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I watched it yesterday morning and agree with you completely!!! WOW!

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #48 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

whoohoo! I had an A30 and a copy of Miami Vice (I think some of you already know this story) which kept hanging up at a certain spot in the beginning of the movie. I exchanged the A30 for an A35 and another copy of MV, still hung up in the same spot. I just updated the firmware and decided to try the movie again...it works! Played right past the problem spot with no stutters or anything. I am one happy camper right now!

Pics from my TV here and here.
post #49 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

I just watched Transformers on my new 52inch XBR, PQ is unbelievable. Sharp as a nail. I was really blown away by the experience. This was the best experience I've ever had on high def disc, no kidding. Too bad the movie wasn't that great. The HD-A35 delivered, yet again.

After the credits started after Transformers, I turned to my wife and said "This is what HD DVD was invented for". We were in awe of the PQ and AQ. I still cannot believe it is a DD+ track. I cannot imagine how good a TrueHD audio track would sound like. I can't get enough of the movie. Neither can my 4 year old son.

I wish I would have kept my A2 to compare it to the 35. I still kind of dream about the XA2. I'll get over it. This is an awesome device. Also, I cannot stress enough how cool it is to have a wife that supports, enjoys and even understands HDM and the improvement in AQ and PQ compared to SD.
Regards...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #50 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 04:06 PM

Do the in player settings in the A35 affect the HDMI audio similar to the XA2? With the XA2 you need to set all speakers to large, SPDIF to bitstream, all settings at 0 to get the most out of the HDMI audio output....Is the A35 the same way and if so what EXACT settings should be used to max the HDMI audio output? I have an Onkyo 885 so I will be using bitstream for the advanced audio codecs since this pre/pro can decode them. Any settings I need to know about?

Thanks
post #51 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I wonder why that is?

Hi Will,

First of all, thanks for the info on imports and A35 bitstream DTS MA capability. Not only will I go to the bath room, I will cut up all my credit cards too otherwise I will buy everthing

As for your observation, why did you ask that? I think ppl who wants A35 knows what it can do and they want the A35 to do it, namely, bitstream lossless audio. Which means you will need a mid to high end receiver that is capable. Are you saying ppl should just buy the cheaper non hdmi ones and just let the A35 LPCM? Well, if ppl don't mind LPCM or don't know about it, they probably want to spend less than 499 or 599 (I forgot...damn, I should look at prices before buying stuff more often to avoid bankruptcy). I mean you can get HD DVD for xbox for 170...

To be honest, when I first got into blu ray and HD DVD, I did it for the picture quality, not audio. That's why I bought a 60 inch 1080p plasma. Crap, I was even just using the tv's speakers for sound and worse, I use those IR wireless headphones when my wife is sleeping. Then I discovered a/v receivers and surround sounds and DTS MA and DTHD and all this gimmicks, then I started upgrading. Stopped using PS 3 as my blu ray and gave my HD DVD xbox player to my friend. I first got a sony 3300 ES and then a denon 3808, realized 3 HDMI in are just not going to cut it and so I upgraded to 4308ci denon with 4 hdmi input and 2 output and its still not enough (I think denon makes one that has like 30 hdmi input but it costs like 7500...I think I will just buy a hdmi selector or buy another 4308 ) Now my wife and I don't even go out to watch movies unless it is a chick flick and I will go to the theatre to sleep...

Is this what you meant in your questioning?

BTW, anyone has any exp with those psyclone hdmi selector? Are they 1.3a compliant? Well, I was just gonna hook up my PS 3 and xbox and Directv Tivo...so doesn't matter, they are all DD for games anyway).
post #52 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, it's kind of a public thing that those of us who like the AQ of the receiver doing the processing catch a lot of flack. To me, LPCM was great. In my opinion, and from my experience as a musician, I like the AQ more with the receiver doing the heavy lifting. It's not a level issue (I checked all my speaker levels with an SPL meter). I, and more than a few others find it more appealing. Since I am not an acoustics engineer, I cannot explain why it sounds better to me.

I am in no way saying everyone with HBR capabilities should run out and buy an HDMI 1.3a receiver. I was just cracking a joke about the appearance that a majority of us who do own one, went for the A-35.

There's really no way to go wrong with the 35. If you have HDMI that has LPCM capability, great! Just go LPCM. If you don't have HDMI, that's cool too. Use the 6 analog RCA jacks and connect them to your receiver.

Additionally, I like the PQ capabilities of the 35 as well. Like I said, you really can't go wrong with this puppy!

Regards...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #53 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After the credits started after Transformers, I turned to my wife and said "This is what HD DVD was invented for". We were in awe of the PQ and AQ. I still cannot believe it is a DD+ track. I cannot imagine how good a TrueHD audio track would sound like. I can't get enough of the movie. Neither can my 4 year old son.

I wish I would have kept my A2 to compare it to the 35. I still kind of dream about the XA2. I'll get over it. This is an awesome device. Also, I cannot stress enough how cool it is to have a wife that supports, enjoys and even understands HDM and the improvement in AQ and PQ compared to SD.
Regards...Will

Maybe your 4yr old and my 7yr old can watch it together as I have watched it with him 6 times and he is telling all of his little school mates to come to his house and watch it in his Home Theater. My A35 with my Samsung SP-H710AE is stunning.

KJ
post #54 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Before you send it away, try this as I had the same problem:

Go to the place where you did the firmware update and hit "Initialize". That seemed to fix the problem #1 you listed for me I had a while ago.

Yeah, tried that twice - no dice. Did you also have trouble navigating SDDVD menus, like me?
post #55 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Great idea!
I'm tired of reading 'should I get the A3 or A1' posts in the A3/A30/A35 thread.

Could you add to the OP, what the 1.1 filmware upgrade fixes?
THX!

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #56 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Has anyone else had the issue, when you updated to 1.1, the PiP, IME, etc. has no sound?

I popped in several different movies with some kind of picture in picture feature, whether it is U-Control, IME, etc. when the PiP shows up, there's no sound accompanied. The normal movie soundtrack continues.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #57 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I should also mention, I am using this unit with a Denon 4308CI and I have it set to pass the bitstream, if that makes a difference.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #58 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:

Yes, set the optical setting on your 35 to bitstream. You will then have access to 1.5 mbps DTS. It's not DD+ or TrueHD but it's no slouch, either.

To check your firmware revision, go to setup and then the 'general' tab. Then go to 'maintenance'. Under maintenance, there is another button...Update. Push update and a box will pop up. The current format is:

xx/yy where yy is your version number. Most, if not all out of the box 35's will have 1.1/1.0. You will need to update to 1.1. When the update is completed, when you check again, it should read 1.1/1.1.

I hope this helps...Will

This did help. Thanks Will.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #59 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post

Has anyone else had the issue, when you updated to 1.1, the PiP, IME, etc. has no sound?

I popped in several different movies with some kind of picture in picture feature, whether it is U-Control, IME, etc. when the PiP shows up, there's no sound accompanied. The normal movie soundtrack continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post

I should also mention, I am using this unit with a Denon 4308CI and I have it set to pass the bitstream, if that makes a difference.

This is the problem with using a bitstream output. Dolby has written about this at length on their website in their DD+ and TrueHD for receivers articles.

With all previous players (HD-A1 through HD-A30), there was no option to output the audio in bitstream form. The DD+ or TrueHD audio for the movie was being decoded into 5.1 channel PCM inside the player.

HD-DVD players also have a second audio decoder. This second decoder is for the things you mention, like PIP commentaries, U-Control, IME, etc. Any sound that is not the movie's own soundtrack is being handled by the second audio decoder. All those secondary audio sounds are also decoded into PCM inside the player.

Then, the two PCM soundtracks from the two seperate decoders are mixed together into a single PCM signal that is sent out via HDMI to your receiver. With the HD-A1, HD-XA1 and HD-XA2 (and the HD-A35 if you are NOT using the bitstream output), that mixed PCM can also be processed through an internal DAC and be output as an analogue signal using the 5.1 analogue connection. And in all players, that single, mixed PCM signal can be sent through a DTS encoder and output via optical or coax S/PDIF so that any receiver that has a DTS decoder can play back the audio.

But when you set the HD-A35 to output the DD+, TrueHD or DTS-HD:HR/MA signal in bitstream format, there is no way to mix the audio from the second audio decoder inside the player. I'm am not completely sure what the HD-A35 is technically doing. My guess is that the only audio that is being output is the DD+, TrueHD or DTS-HD:HR/MA bitstream and that the secondary audio is simply not sent at all.

But even if the secondary audio IS being sent, there are no receivers available that can mix two audio sources at once. Again, my guess is that the HD-A35 is only sending the one bitstream because I'm sure sending two seperate audio signals to any receiver would muck things up in a major way!

So this is why bitstream output isn't necessarily such a great thing. At the moment, you really only NEED bitstream output for DTS-HD:HR/MA and that is because the HD-A35 cannot decode those formats internally. It can decode the 5.1 DTS "core" that is embedded, but you lose the extra extensions that give you the "high resolution" or lossless "master audio". So having the option of bitstream output is great if you import and you have HD-DVD discs that actually HAVE DTS-HD:HR/MA audio tracks on them. For virtually all North American HD-DVD releases, the player can internally decode the 5.1 DD+ or TrueHD audio, in which case it can be mixed inside the player as described above.

The other situation in which the bitstream output will be needed is if we start to get 6.1 or 7.1 channels. Right now, all the HD-DVD players out there only decode 5.1 channels of DD+ and TrueHD internally. A firmware update might be able to expand the internal decoding to 7.1, but I'm not at all sure. Toshiba makes specific mention of being able to output 7.1 channels using the bitstream output though when they describe the HD-A35 on their website.

So, in closing, if you want to hear the secondary sounds from PIP, U-Control, IME, etc., you will have to let the HD-A35 decode the DD+ or TrueHD movie soundtrack internally so that it can be mixed and output as a 5.1 PCM signal. If you are listening to a DTS-HD:HR/MA soundtrack, you will have to use the bitstream output and thus, you won't be able to hear the secondary sounds. And that will also apply if we ever start to see 6.1 or 7.1 channel releases on HD-DVD.

And just for the record, all of this will also be true of Blu-ray profile 1.1 and 2.0 players. They handle audio is exactly the same way, with two audio decoders delivering two PCM tracks that are mixed together and output as one multi-channel PCM stream to your receiver. The new Sony S500 and S2000ES can internally decode DTS-HD:HR, but they cannot decode DTS-HD:MA and as a real kick in the pants, they can't even output DTS-HD:MA in bitstream form, so all those Fox titles cannot be heard in their full glory! The Samsung P1400 can output DTS-HD:HR/MA bitstream, but cannot internally decode them. Although it doesn't really matter since it's a profile 1.0 player and has no second audio decoder anyway!

It appears that the dual format LG BH200 will be one of the first profile 1.1 Blu-ray players (it may even be profile 2.0 aka BD-Live - BD-Live is actually mentioned by name in LG's own press release from Sept.5), but all the info points to it being able to output DTS-HD:HR/MA as a bitstream, but no internal decoding. The PS3 may actually be the first player to get internal DTS-HD:MA decoding and the Samsung dual format UP5000 may also have internal decoding - bitstream output seems to be a lock for that unit.

Jon
post #60 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosman22 View Post

I posted this in the other all inculsive 3rd gen thread. Since i had alot of problems getting 1.1 on my player i figured i would post this here too.

This is a link to the program i used to burn the the firmware 1.1 iso to cd, http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm , thanks IBL8. I couldn't update my through the ethernet port, and when i tried using my regular burning software my a 35 wouldn't reconize the disc. It wasn't until i used the iso burner in the link at 2x speed that i finally got my player to reconize the cd and in about fifteen minutes my firmware was updated. Since doing this i have gotten no error messages or audio dropouts.

I too was having problems burning an ISO CD. This download worked perfectly. Just updated to 1.1. Thanks for the great info!

Growing Older But Not Up
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page