**Official Toshiba HD-A35 (ONLY) Thread** - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2007, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had no dropouts so far with my A35, even playing DD+, through my Onkyo 705. I'm sending the audio as bitstream over HDMI, not sure if they makes a difference.

Hosted a movie night for some friends Saturday and we watched "Hot Fuzz"... everyone there was raving about the picture and sound : )

New sh*t has come to light...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by khwiggins2 View Post

This is sounding more and more like the audio dropouts are a problem with the receivers decoding DD+.

When I first got my HD-A1, I had a Sony 55 somthing ES receiver. It didn't have 5.1 analog inputs, so I tried using both Optical and Coax. Both had garbled dialog. Eventualy found that the problem was that the Sony ES receivers were not able to handle a full bandwith 1.5 Mbps DTS signal. After upgrading to a Denon receiver, no further problems.

One other small observation that probably doesn't have anything to do with it, but here goes. Sony and Pioneer make blu-ray players. Blu-ray supports, but currently does not use DD+. Could it be that since they really don't use it, there was something they weren't aware of and that's why their receivers have problems. On the other hand Denon has been researching both formats and Onkyo is soon coming out with an HD DVD player so they may have been aware and implemented it properly, or in Denon's case, has a downloadable firmware fix in place.

Now if anyone has this problem with an Onkyo receiver, that shoots that theory out of the water, though it may still be a receiver issue. Does anyone have this problem that has an Onkyo or Denon receiver with the latest firmware in the player and receiver?

Interesting theory. I'm having the dropouts using a Pio Elite 92. I have seen others mention either the same Elite or the 94. And Sony has come up a couple times. But you are right, nobody has mentioned any issues with DD+ bitstreamed to an Onkyo. If somebody has any, please speak up.
I think we may be on to something in regards to the AVR being the issue and not the player, especially since Brad had dropouts before his firmware update to his Denon.
Edit: Just saw that someone is having an issue with dropouts and an Onkyo. Hmmm....
Old 11-12-2007, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I have experienced dropouts with my A35 running into my Onkyo 805. I did not experience this until I upgraded the firmware on my Toshiba. I seriously don't think my Onkyo is at fault. Not only does it drop audio but everynow and them it switches from Bitstream to PCM, powering down the player resolves the issue.

Making the most out of what I got.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:14 PM

No audio drops with my Onkyo 875 and the A35 with any audio format bit streamed through HDMI. I do however run into a problem with the A35 holding the bit stream setting in the menu and instead running PCM multichannel until I enter the set-up menu after each reboot. I do not make any changes to the menu, but I must enter it or the unit will decode internally.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Lobrow View Post

No audio drops with my Onkyo 875 and the A35 with any audio format bit streamed through HDMI. I do however run into a problem with the A35 holding the bit stream setting in the menu and instead running PCM multichannel until I enter the set-up menu after each reboot. I do not make any changes to the menu, but I must enter it or the unit will decode internally.

I've seen multi in when I was in the menu's of Transformers, but when I started the movie, it switched back to bitstream. If this happens during the movie, are you accessing any special features when it happens?

I'm really beginning to get nervous about saying I'm not having a problem, I keep thinking there's a magic number and if I say it too many times, I'll start having the issue as well.

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
Old 11-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason30 View Post

Guys what does it mean when you're typing "1.1/1.1"? I know the current firmware is 1.1 but im curious as to why you refer to it like that (twice). Thanks! (mines on the truck due tomorrow, and I want to make sure I update it correctly if it needs it).

J30
I still haven't updated mine and have never received an error message of any kind. I decided to use it for a while before any upgrading. I did download and burn to CD but to much experience with Microsoft from 98 to Windows Me to Xp etc etc etc. I am not a A-35 type of expert or whatever but there have been quite a few posts that have had trouble after the upgrade. I can just tell you I have had the occasional Microsoft upgrade problems through the yrs. You can ALWAYS upgrade later.
wvasco

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 768
I was watching disc 3 of Heroes season 1 and half way thru it stopped and the player displayed error 408bc504. This is a Netflix rental, so I decide to clean the disc. It seemed to work. Anyone have experience with this error code? I have the current firmware.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 11-12-2007, 03:38 PM

hello to all, i am new to this forum so please be gentle.

i just received my a-35 in the mail today hooked it up to my pioneer VSX-91TXH via hdmi cable. i do not have a problem playing DD+ or Dolby trueHD but for some reason when i play my french import of "brotherhood of the wolf", i get a popping and static type of noise when playing the dts-ma track. the display on my receiver says "dts master" on it and when the studio canal+ logos play, it says dts master and i do not have a problem with that noise. once the movie itself starts, then the popping and static kick in. i tried to adjust the settings on the player and receiver but it still does it. i have also updated the firmware. any suggestions?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyerjp View Post

hello to all, i am new to this forum so please be gentle.

i just received my a-35 in the mail today hooked it up to my pioneer VSX-91TXH via hdmi cable. i do not have a problem playing DD+ or Dolby trueHD but for some reason when i play my french import of "brotherhood of the wolf", i get a popping and static type of noise when playing the dts-ma track. the display on my receiver says "dts master" on it and when the studio canal+ logos play, it says dts master and i do not have a problem with that noise. once the movie itself starts, then the popping and static kick in. i tried to adjust the settings on the player and receiver but it still does it. i have also updated the firmware. any suggestions?

Ok gently, I went to the Dr and said Dr when I raise my arm over my head it hurts, what can I do? The Dr said stop raising the arm over your head and that should stop the hurting. I would not play that particular DVD anymore until I had played others to make sure it's just not a disc problem. Sometimes jumping into a problem can make it worse and when you start changing settings etc you end up with more problems. If it is a player problem eventually other discs will start spouting error codes at you.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasko View Post

J30
I still haven't updated mine and have never received an error message of any kind. I decided to use it for a while before any upgrading. I did download and burn to CD but to much experience with Microsoft from 98 to Windows Me to Xp etc etc etc. I am not a A-35 type of expert or whatever but there have been quite a few posts that have had trouble after the upgrade. I can just tell you I have had the occasional Microsoft upgrade problems through the yrs. You can ALWAYS upgrade later.
wvasco

So if someone is writing they have "1.0/1.1" that means they have the version 1.0? I'm confused if there's some reason people are writing it like that rather than just saying "1.1" or "1.0". I'm just coming off reading the Integra threads discussing the firmware update needs 3 different upgrades to complete, so im just confused if this is what is going on here. Is all that is required to upgrade to 1.1 the file burned to a CD off of Toshiba.com? Thanks guys
Old 11-12-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason30 View Post

So if someone is writing they have "1.0/1.1" that means they have the version 1.0? I'm confused if there's some reason people are writing it like that rather than just saying "1.1" or "1.0". I'm just coming off reading the Integra threads discussing the firmware update needs 3 different upgrades to complete, so im just confused if this is what is going on here. Is all that is required to upgrade to 1.1 the file burned to a CD off of Toshiba.com? Thanks guys

For reasons known only to Tosh, that is what they show you when you check the version in the player's menus.

Yes, the downloaded iso is all you need to update the A35.

Brian
Old 11-12-2007, 04:34 PM

It seems like settings in the different audio menus greatly affect the audio properties.

For example if you have HDMI connected to the TV and no HDMI to the receiver, you should set the HDMI to downmixed PCM. This downmixed PCM setting in HDMI gives louder audio from both the 5.1 channel Analog Audio output and from the Digital out SPDIF (Toslink). I can confirm this.

If you set Digital Out SPDIF to PCM you get only 2 channel output. But if you set Digital Out SPDIF to Bitstream, you get Dolby Digital 5.1 that is decoded by your receiver and sounds terrific. However if left on bitstream, it seems to affect the 5.1 channel Analog Audio output (it does not sound as good as when Digital Out SPDIF is set to PCM). Thus it seems to get the best results from 5.1 analog outs (six channel), you need to set Digital out SPDIF to PCM and also set HDMI to downmixed PCM. Can someone else confirm this?

Also Home Theater review of HD-A35 states that setting SPDIF (Toslink connection) to Bitstream lowered the audio quality over HDMI from 48 Khz to 96Khz. Thus it seems like you need to be very fussy about the audio settings in the HD-A35 menus.

Anyone else have similar findings?

Thanks
Bonus
Old 11-12-2007, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

So, any Onkyo 805/875/905 owners having the "dreaded DD+ bitstream audio dropout" issue with your HD-A35??

For those having the issue, what are your receivers? Did updating the FW for your receiver fix this issue?

Transformers is a good test, since it's great DD+ encode. I ask because I'm looking quite closely at both an Onkyo receiver and the A35 at this point.

Thanx in advance!

Still looking for a movie theatre that shows movies the way they're SUPPOSED to be viewed...

...with a bitrate meter and screencaps.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khwiggins2 View Post

I've seen multi in when I was in the menu's of Transformers, but when I started the movie, it switched back to bitstream. If this happens during the movie, are you accessing any special features when it happens?

I'm really beginning to get nervous about saying I'm not having a problem, I keep thinking there's a magic number and if I say it too many times, I'll start having the issue as well.

I was not accessing any special features, just trying to play the movie. This glitch isn't a real problem but more of a nuisance.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

For reasons known only to Tosh, that is what they show you when you check the version in the player's menus.

Yes, the downloaded iso is all you need to update the A35.

Brian

Thanks! Player is due by UPS tomorrow so i'll get the CD burned and ready to go.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasko View Post

Ok gently, I went to the Dr and said Dr when I raise my arm over my head it hurts, what can I do? The Dr said stop raising the arm over your head and that should stop the hurting. I would not play that particular DVD anymore until I had played others to make sure it's just not a disc problem. Sometimes jumping into a problem can make it worse and when you start changing settings etc you end up with more problems. If it is a player problem eventually other discs will start spouting error codes at you.

yea, i'll try to find another disc with the dts-ma on it. see how that goes. it was just odd to me that when the company logos are on, it is fine. disc issue, i guess.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILJG View Post

So, any Onkyo 805/875/905 owners having the "dreaded DD+ bitstream audio dropout" issue with your HD-A35??

For those having the issue, what are your receivers? Did updating the FW for your receiver fix this issue?

Transformers is a good test, since it's great DD+ encode. I ask because I'm looking quite closely at both an Onkyo receiver and the A35 at this point.

Thanx in advance!

I own the Onkyo 805 and have not had one audio dropout playing everything from Transformers to King Kong.
I have to think alot of the problem is related to the reciever used and especially the hdmi cable used.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviec View Post

I own the Onkyo 805 and have not had one audio dropout playing everything from Transformers to King Kong.
I have to think alot of the problem is related to the reciever used and especially the hdmi cable used.

Cool, thanks Steve. I'm actually the most interested in the 805. Someone else who has an 875 said they don't have the issues either. I think the people having the problem may have it on their receiver's end, too, since one poster mentioned he updated his receiver's FW and the problem was fixed.

Interesting.

I'm hoping the cable really isn't the issue, but just to check, what kind of cable to you have player to reciever, and what kind from receiver to display?

Still looking for a movie theatre that shows movies the way they're SUPPOSED to be viewed...

...with a bitrate meter and screencaps.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviec View Post

I'm not saying that this is the case with you, but the dropouts happen so quickly I didn't notice them until someone else here pointed it out. (Curse of being on the AVSforums?)

Pics from my TV here and here.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I was watching disc 3 of Heroes season 1 and half way thru it stopped and the player displayed error 408bc504...Anyone have experience with this error code?

I'm guessing you didn't do a search for "408bc504." There are numerous mentions of it in this thread and there are at least two dedicated threads about 408bc504.

Edit: Make that 3 dedicated threads. I just saw that another one was added yesterday.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILJG View Post

Cool, thanks Steve. I'm actually the most interested in the 805. Someone else who has an 875 said they don't have the issues either. I think the people having the problem may have it on their receiver's end, too, since one poster mentioned he updated his receiver's FW and the problem was fixed.

Interesting.

I'm hoping the cable really isn't the issue, but just to check, what kind of cable to you have player to reciever, and what kind from receiver to display?

Possibly another good point brought up...the cable. I am using an old fashioned HDMI cable (monoprice) from my A35 to my Pio Elite 92. Are people that have experienced dropouts on DD+ tracks also using regular HDMI cables as opposed to 1.3a certified ones?

Edit: Let me just clarify...not debating the issue of a 1.2 HDMI cable vs 1.3a cable....just trying to disect this issue even further so we can try to determine where this problem occurs.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm using 1.3 monoprice ables, both from the A35 to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV. I don't think it's the cables.

It's strange that an Onkyo FW update would fix the problem when people are having the problem with at least 4 (Sony, Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer) different receiver manufacturers. I wonder what they changed.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What about the new Yamaha avr.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:52 PM

I have been running an Onkyo 875 with out any audio drops and it is connected with a cheapo HDMI cable that came in my Oppo DVD player. I still have the original firmware on both the AVR and the A35.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I updated my firmware out of the box... makes me wonder if I should have stuck with 1.0
Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

I updated my firmware out of the box... makes me wonder if I should have stuck with 1.0

You are not alone I guess. I do not know why everybody is in a rush to upgrade. It could be the small plastic type printed insert that says IMPORTANT NOTICE, in order to take advantage of newly available features on your HD DVD disc your player may need to be updated with the latest firmware etc etc. Even the Notice says MAY NEED TO BE UPDATED, but a lot of people are jumping the gun. Spread the word you can always update later but once you update your stuck until a future update comes out that may or may not help.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

In my case I had to update the firmware. With version 1.1 Transformers would freeze halfway through.

Making the most out of what I got.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well my A-35 arrived about 1.5 hours ago and Houston we have some problems. ...

I thought something was wrong as it took forever to get beyond the welcome screen. I mean a long time. The setup menu was rather quick though.

Put in 300...the TrueHD sound felt a big stronger for lack of a better word but without a direct a/b this is purely subjective. But about 45 seconds into the film it freezes up and then says Error Code and numbers. Ejected the disc and tried again and this time it wouldn't load. Kept making this noise like the drive was messed up. Certainly louder than the XA-1 drive. I had to unplug, replug it in to get the disc out. Tried Transformers....and right after the menu, it gives me another error code.

I will try and update the FW as mine is 1.0. Maybe that will help but the drive sounding loud and clunky has me suspicious.

While the 1st Gen XA-1 was/is certainly slow it is a beautiful machine. Well built and elegant. This new A-35 is rather, well, cheap feeling.

Having my new Onkyo THX receiver doing the decoding is certainly a reason to 'upgrade' players but all things being equal, they are Night & Day in regards to build quality. Night and Day.

Maybe the FW update will help....

Don't mean to be a downer as I did read the great review from Ultimate A/V. Tom Norton is a tough cookie and he loved it so I'm sure what I got is not the norm.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:17 PM

Since my audio dropouts have gone down that is good news but the freezing of the video for a second or two (I'm assuming at the layer change) & then the video going off synch gets frustrating.

Going back to the beginning of the chapter resyncs it. I don't think that could be a receiver problem.

It only happens on Dolby Digital Plus tracks.

Is anyone else having the picture freeze for a second or two & then the audio goes off synch?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

What about the new Yamaha avr.

I'm running mine through a Yammy 1800 and have not had audio dropouts at all. I have run DD+ and TrueHD (bitstream) and have had no issues to date. Upgraded firmware on the A35, out of the box on the Yammy. I've probably gone through about 8-10 movies so far. It doesn't seem to be an issue with this AVR, but I will let you all know if this changes.