Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Well, it's kind of a public thing that those of us who like the AQ of the receiver doing the processing catch a lot of flack. To me, LPCM was great. In my opinion, and from my experience as a musician, I like the AQ more with the receiver doing the heavy lifting. It's not a level issue (I checked all my speaker levels with an SPL meter). I, and more than a few others find it more appealing. Since I am not an acoustics engineer, I cannot explain why it sounds better to me.

I am in no way saying everyone with HBR capabilities should run out and buy an HDMI 1.3a receiver. I was just cracking a joke about the appearance that a majority of us who do own one, went for the A-35.

There's really no way to go wrong with the 35. If you have HDMI that has LPCM capability, great! Just go LPCM. If you don't have HDMI, that's cool too. Use the 6 analog RCA jacks and connect them to your receiver.

Additionally, I like the PQ capabilities of the 35 as well. Like I said, you really can't go wrong with this puppy!

Regards...Will

Hi Will,

No I understand your points. And mine was that ppl who buys a35 for its Bitstreaming ability are 1. can afford a 1.3a receiver, 2. they want the best. Or else, they will keep buying 200 bucks HD player and 200 bucks basic surround anps/receiver.

And thanks for the advise. Poiint taken. I like LCPM too but if I padi 2500 for a denon 4308ci, I want those DTHD and DTS HD MA indicators (with my BDP1400 blu ray player with firmware update) to light up on the lcd display! I wish they make the fonts bigger so I can see it without havin to use a binoculous to see them from my viewing area. I am sure LCPM is fins, whether decoding is done by receiver or player, does it really make any noticeble difference that our hears can distinguish, maybe. But the psychological effect of having the indicators light up probably makes me perceive the sound is better. Call me vain but chasing technology nerd I can't deny. Decoding by receiver is better than the player, probably, but does it really? To me, if I spend that much money for a receiver, I am going to make myself think it is. Doesn't matter, you get what you can afford and both sides will have their arguments to support it.

Back to te A35, Bistreaming (BSing) DTHD or DTS HD can only be done via HDMI? Toslink opt cable won't do it right? And it has to be a 1.3a cat2 HDMI cable? I found some Sony ones and Panasonic ones for half the price of Monster...I Love it. They are thinner and lighter and they are less likely to brreak my components HDMI jacks like it did to my xbox and Directv HR10-250 HD DVR, (I know I can replace that, anyone know if it is hard to do so?) Seriouly, Monster cables are heavier than my cat I am sure Monsters will go to hell for their misleading marketing. Off topic, sorry. Is DTHD 5.1 native or 7.1 or does it matter and just depends on the receivera?

Anothe off topic question, how many remotes do you have in your entertainment center area? I personally have 8. I have 2 harmony universal but they are so hard to use!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

Agree with you, Ruined. I read early on in the firmware update thread (when I had my A2) that it was a good idea to INITIALIZE after any firmware upgrade, and so far it's seemed to work.

I have the same problem. Just turning off doesn't do it. It keeps LPCMing depsite I had all the setting corect on both the player and my receiver. I finally got it to say DTHD on my denon receiver!!!! Yesterday I saw the DTS MASTR with my samsun 1400 and now DTHD on A35...I an in heaven.

I think HD or Blu ray is better for sound than picture. Sure, 1080p/24 is great but a good upconversion dvd player is fine with me too...in fact, I hate to say it but DVD looks less grainny sometimes. I mean it's great to see the actors pores and acne but I guess I am still getting used to 1080p. 720p and 1080i is fins for me for sports and tv and cgi videogames but I can't believe I am saying this...I am buying blu ray and HD for the surround sound which I never even give a hoola before...I use rca cable thru tv speakers and don't even turn on the simulated surround on some tv sets...what a moron
post #63 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Isunder,

I know what you're saying about the chase when it comes to technology. If it wasn't for the Mrs. keeping me in control, I would be upgrading a component once a month! On the plus side, she supports, enjoys and wants to understand home theater. And, the agreement is that this room is mine and I can do with it as I please. Within reason, of course

I'm not a rich man either...That makes it all the more crucial that a product with the best bang for the buck is purchased. I research every potential 'candidate' with great care...Mostly here...Lot's of smart people on this site. Thats why I have been here over 5 years and have just over 200 posts. I read 20 times more than I posted.

As far as remotes, yeah, I could have a few sitting on the coffee table. I have the capability of only needing one. My Harmony 880. However, the remote for my Dish Network VIP 622 reminds me of my Tivo remote (I owned like 8 of those from 99-05!) This type of remote is great since you don't have to look at it, at all. You know by feel where you are. So, in short, I have but 2 in use.

Back to bitstreaming...Yes, it is indeed cool to have the TrueHD light fire up and the LCD banner to read 'Dolby TrueHD'. However, the excitement about this wears off in a few days. I stick to my guns that the sound is slightly better when my receiver does the decoding. Let me throw this in for anyone who wants to fire up the acetelyne torch...I don't know why this is so. Extra processing, lack of processing...who knows? I'm waiting for the experts at some of my favorite HT magazines to chime in. They know the science behind this stuff and I do not.

Now onto DTS HD MA. No, you cannot use a toslink cable for this. You will be happy to know that the specifications for DTS HD MA actually are designed for 6.1 and 7.1 systems, in glorious 96/24. I am still waiting on my imports to arrive. I haven't gotten to check it out yet.

Additionally, I've always been one of the 'I like DTS more than DD' guys. That gap for me narrowed (disappeared, actually) once I heard DD TrueHD for the first time. Plus, there are some DD+ encodes that bring the roof down, as it were. Who knows? Once I get a taste of Master Audio, I may turn my nose up to THD (I doubt it!)

As far as HDMI cables, just go to monoprice and save yourself a load of cash. The nerve of these companies that charge like $100 for a cable. It's unbelievable that they get away with this. Alot of people here also like Blue Jean cables.

Well...It's time for my second cup of tea! If you have any other questions, fire away! I just hope that I can answer all of them next time!

Good morning...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #64 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Really want HBR audio decoded by my new Denon 3808. Is the A35 worth upgrading from an XA2, or should I just hold out for firmware updates for the XA2?
post #65 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

Really want HBR audio decoded by my new Denon 3808. Is the A35 worth upgrading from an XA2, or should I just hold out for firmware updates for the XA2?

Yes it is unless you intend to still watch alot of standard dvds in which case you may want to keep the Xa2.
post #66 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 08:02 AM

has anyone had any issues with ethernet connectivity, whenever i try to update the firmware to 1.1 i get an error message that says server not found. i was wondering if anyone could help me i believe it's user error but i don't know what to change in the settings to make it work

Keith

MHT pro store 503
atlanta,ga.
post #67 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mht503pro View Post

has anyone had any issues with ethernet connectivity, whenever i try to update the firmware to 1.1 i get an error message that says server not found. i was wondering if anyone could help me i believe it's user error but i don't know what to change in the settings to make it work

In the past I have had to connecto to my modem directly. I have a router and a large switch between the modem and the HD DVD player and that never seemed to work. A direct connection from HD DVD player to the modem did the trick for firmware updates.

Last night I tried the web enabled content of Transformers with the Router and Switch in place and it was a no go. I did not try the direct connect again but that is not a continuous option.
post #68 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Does the A35 have an adjustable crossover when using the 5.1 analog outs?

TIA.

Brian
post #69 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 09:55 AM

Hi to all. I need some expert advice here. I just purchased the above HD DVD player and I was wondering if I don't have an HDMI equipped receiver (I have the older Onkyo HTIB 6.1 system), is it better to use the Analog connection (which is set to PCM) or use the Optical connection (which is set to Bitstream) to watch the Transformers HD DVD movie? I just updated the firmware version to 1.1/1.1 a few days ago. Will I hear the Dolby Digital Plus soundtrack of the movie better or just quite the same? Thanks alot.
post #70 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

Does the A35 have an adjustable crossover when using the 5.1 analog outs?

TIA.

Brian

Brian,

Yes. It sure does. I just took a peek at it when I fired the 35 up for the first time. If you need more details, let me know...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #71 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnX18 View Post

Hi to all. I need some expert advice here. I just purchased the above HD DVD player and I was wondering if I don't have an HDMI equipped receiver (I have the older Onkyo HTIB 6.1 system), is it better to use the Analog connection (which is set to PCM) or use the Optical connection (which is set to Bitstream) to watch the Transformers HD DVD movie? I just updated the firmware version to 1.1/1.1 a few days ago. Will I hear the Dolby Digital Plus soundtrack of the movie better or just quite the same? Thanks alot.

Definitely go analog out. You won't be able to hear DD+ or THD if you don't. Toslink will only give you DTS 1.5 mbps. But that sounds pretty darn good, compared to SD DVD.

Regards...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #72 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsunderI View Post

Another off topic question, how many remotes do you have in your entertainment center area? I personally have 8. I have 2 harmony universal but they are so hard to use!

I know you were asking this of Will, but I'm going to answer it anwayay. I use my Harmony to control my Plasma, receiver, A35, PS3, and my HR20-700. It works beautifully. Maybe you need to give programming it/them another try? There's an updated version of the software that's even easier than the last, and I understand that Logitech customer service is very helpful.

Pics from my TV here and here.
post #73 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm wondering why so many people are having problems with connecting to the internet through their routers. Do you have DHCP turned on in your router? My A35 connected instantly once I went into the Ethernet settings and turned on DHCP in the A35.

post #74 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Definitely go analog out. You won't be able to hear DD+ or THD if you don't. Toslink will only give you DTS 1.5 mbps. But that sounds pretty darn good, compared to SD DVD.

Regards...Will

Thanks for this tip Will. I was wondering what will be the best settings then on my 5.1 speaker setup menu of the HD DVD player? Any ideas?
post #75 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

Brian,

Yes. It sure does. I just took a peek at it when I fired the 35 up for the first time. If you need more details, let me know...Will

Thanks. I am considering an upgrade from my A2, and it is between the XA2 an A35. Either will be used with the 5.1 analogs, and having an adjustable crossover was important to me.

Is it safe to assume that it can be set to 80 hertz?

Brian
post #76 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I've probably had it at least hafl a dozen times.

I was watching Transformers last night but paused a couple of times to check in on the score of the LSU game. When I switched back to Transformers all I could hear was what can best be described as a sound similar to a modem connection blasting out of my speakers and nothing else. I had to switch back to my TV input and then back to my HD-DVD again to get it to stop.

It happened twice last night with Transformers and a few other times under various conditions (not necessarily pausing/switching/switching back) with other HD-DVD's. Actually one of the times it happened last night was on the initial start of the movie, then once after I had paused it.

My a35 is bitstreaming into my Onkyo Pro 885, which is also performing my video switching. I have successfully done the 1.1 firmware update to the a35 prior to this, but this has happened before and after that update.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #77 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post

I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I've probably had it at least hafl a dozen times.

I was watching Transformers last night but paused a couple of times to check in on the score of the LSU game. When I switched back to Transformers all I could hear was what can best be described as a sound similar to a modem connection blasting out of my speakers and nothing else. I had to switch back to my TV input and then back to my HD-DVD again to get it to stop.

It happened twice last night with Transformers and a few other times under various conditions (not necessarily pausing/switching/switching back) with other HD-DVD's. Actually one of the times it happened last night was on the initial start of the movie, then once after I had paused it.

My a35 is bitstreaming into my Onkyo Pro 885, which is also performing my video switching. I have successfully done the 1.1 firmware update to the a35 prior to this, but this has happened before and after that update.

I'm pretty sure it's a HDMI handshake issue with the A35. Mine likes to restart the movie when I switch away from the A35 and then back to it.

post #78 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLawren View Post

2) I am unable to navigate SDDVD menus. It seems like they don't load correctly or completely - audio is choppy, the options don't hilight, the directional arrows have no effect (except very, very sporatically). Again, thoughts? SD DVDs tested include Pearl Harbor, Master and Commander, U571.

I don't have an a35, but my a30 does the same thing with SD DVDs. However, the arrows do work properly, but there is no feedback on the menuing system (highlighting doesn't work). You need to keep track mentally of where the arrow would be.

Ed
post #79 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLawren View Post

SD DVDs tested include Pearl Harbor, Master and Commander, U571.

Did you try it on Waterworld, Das Boot, Hunt for Red October or Titanic?

Just kidding...you seem to have an affinity for water based movies.

post #80 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnX18 View Post

Thanks for this tip Will. I was wondering what will be the best settings then on my 5.1 speaker setup menu of the HD DVD player? Any ideas?

There are so many factors involved, that would be real tough to answer. Sorry!..Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #81 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

Thanks. I am considering an upgrade from my A2, and it is between the XA2 an A35. Either will be used with the 5.1 analogs, and having an adjustable crossover was important to me.

Is it safe to assume that it can be set to 80 hertz?

Brian

I can't speak for the XA2 but I just checked on the A-35...You can go down to 80 hz. Hope this helps...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #82 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't speak for the XA2 but I just checked on the A-35...You can go down to 80 hz. Hope this helps...Will

Same with the XA2. 80-120
post #83 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

i have my a-35 hooked to my onkyo 705 via HDMI and the onkyo to my tv also via HDMI.
I want the onkyo to do all the work (crossover etc etc)
what do i need to do?

thanks
post #84 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got my HD-A35 today from Best Buy. Coming from an A1 last year to an XA2 which I returned for the A35 because of all the hype of bitstream and 1080p/24. I have no regrets returning the XA2 so far.

I believe the picture is sharper on the A35 like many have said and yes I DO notice a difference when bitstreaming to my onkyo 875. I am not saying the XA2 wasn't an awesome machine but the A35 does have an advantage with this new generation.

If you are deciding between the XA2 and the A35 definately go for the A35! If you all ready have an XA2 and thinking about a total upgrade that may cost you more money I wouldn't worry about it. I did really like the XA2 especially the build quality but the A35 is the choice especially if you have a good receiver that does the decoding.
post #85 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brogan2424 View Post

I have 2 A35s & an Onkyo SR805 & a Onkyo SR875 (and a BDP1400 & PS3)
I went from a XA1, BDP1000 & Onkyo NR1000 in my bedroom plus a XBOX360 addon, PS3 & a Sony 5200ES receiver in another. Then went to a XA2 & a BDP1200. Once Bitstream capabilities became available, I had to upgrade. What can I say, I love my toys

And I thought I was bad for replacing my Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX and Toshiba HD-A2 for an Onkyo 875 and the Toshiba HD-A35
post #86 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:

I think HD or Blu ray is better for sound than picture. Sure, 1080p/24 is great but a good upconversion dvd player is fine with me too...in fact, I hate to say it but DVD looks less grainny sometimes. I mean it's great to see the actors pores and acne but I guess I am still getting used to 1080p.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...but the grain you may be referring to is likely caused by filming in digital.
A great example is Miami Vice both HD and SD dvd. The night scenes look a little weird to me. Like it's full of noise...turns out it's digital camera effect.
post #87 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:

In fact, are there any titles that support DTS HD MA for HD DVD for that matter?

At this point, I have one DTS-HD MA. It's Terminator 2. It's the French version that has two discs. One of which is the directors cut which is 131 minutes It's available from a company here in the USA at a very reasonable price. They also carry a large assortment of other imports in both Blu ray and HD.

https://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/index.php
post #88 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leovip View Post

Also can anyone recommend wheres a good place to buy hd-dvds from? over here in australia blue-ray seems the go but im going down the hd-dvd track

Lots of imports from this company here in USA.......
https://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/index.php

And I'm sure you have Amazon.com in Australia too.

Good luck.
post #89 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDextreme View Post

I just got my HD-A35 today from Best Buy. Coming from an A1 last year to an XA2 which I returned for the A35 because of all the hype of bitstream and 1080p/24. I have no regrets returning the XA2 so far.

I believe the picture is sharper on the A35 like many have said and yes I DO notice a difference when bitstreaming to my onkyo 875. I am not saying the XA2 wasn't an awesome machine but the A35 does have an advantage with this new generation.

If you are deciding between the XA2 and the A35 definately go for the A35! If you all ready have an XA2 and thinking about a total upgrade that may cost you more money I wouldn't worry about it. I did really like the XA2 especially the build quality but the A35 is the choice especially if you have a good receiver that does the decoding.

Thanks for posting this information. I have an 875 and have been thinking that the A35 would be the best choice to pair up with it because of the
hd audio bitstreaming and that it seemed silly to pay for another Reon processor when the receiver already has one. Since you just bought your A35 today, do you know if it has the 1.1 firmware? I would rather avoid dealing with the firmware update if they have started shipping units with it.
post #90 of 4877 Old 10-21-2007, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHD View Post

Thanks for posting this information. I have an 875 and have been thinking that the A35 would be the best choice to pair up with it because of the
hd audio bitstreaming and that it seemed silly to pay for another Reon processor when the receiver already has one. Since you just bought your A35 today, do you know if it has the 1.1 firmware? I would rather avoid dealing with the firmware update if they have started shipping units with it.

Yup it's a great match up with the 875. Bitstreaming sounds really nice on the the 875. My A35 has the 1.0 firmware to begin with, I will probably be updating it within the hour by ethernet. To be completely honest about the Reon, I think it is nice to have but kinda overrated. The A35 does just as good a job and from what I hear it supports 480i output so if you want to get the full advantage of your onkyo's reon you can set the A35 to 480i and have the Onkyo upconvert it.... I will have to try that later too.
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page