**Official Toshiba HD-A35 (ONLY) Thread** - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PLEASE READ FIRST BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS! IT CAN HELP A WHOLE LOT! ENJOY!

Check this post for the following information:
- Audio, video, settings, tweaks
- Firmware updates, procedures, bugs, fixes, new updates requests
- Analog out settings, performance
- HBR settings, performance, issues
- Upscaling performance
- Interlacing issues/fix at 1080i/p 60fps
- HDMI CEC
- HD-DVD disc play issues
- Others?

There are multiple threads with bits and pieces of A35 knowledge, but we'll try to aggregate the key stuff here, up front, in this thread, in this first post with periodic updates.

FIRMWARE UPDATES - LATEST VERSION IS 1.3
- Firmware 1.3 is out. For full information on what it is, how to update and all that good stuff, go here.
- It has 39 download steps and 4 installation steps and it apparently fixes playback issues, though some have reported improved response times to remote commands. Note, even though the player says "1.1/1.1", still proceed with the upgrade (it will let you). When done, it will read "1.3/1.1", (which will likely be fixed to "1.3/1.3" in the FW version . . . 1.4 upgrade?!?).
- To check your firmware revision, go to setup and then the 'general' tab. Then go to 'maintenance'. Under maintenance, there is another button...Update. Push update and a box will pop up. The current format is: xx/yy where yy is your version number.

KNOWN ISSUES, BUGS AND SUCH
- Disc playback errors, especially with rentals or Netflix: any dirty or scratched discs, . . . Solutions: light soap and warm water, firmware updates. This appears to be a larger problem for the A35 than initially thought - discs that won't play in Generation 3 players, particularly the A35, will play in the Generation 2 players. So the A35 is excessively unforgiving of any dirty, scratched, or even just "used" or "rental" discs. If you have this problem, contact Toshiba.
- Improper deinterlacing at 1080p60 for HD-DVD, and at 720p, 1080p60, 1080p24 for SDDVD upscaling. . . Solutions: hoping it's not a hardware issue and that a firmware update will fix it in the near future.
- SD-DVD menus will not hilight, move, adjust, or generally work when the player is set to 1080p24. They do work if the player is set to another resolution. The HD-XA2 has the same problem . . .. Solution: hopefully a firmware fix, but otherwise have to switch resolutions for menus and then switch back to 1080p24 or 480i to then avoid the other deinterlacing bug listed above.
- Stuttering frames and then the 408bc504 error. . . Solutions: clean the disc (see above), power cycle, firmware updates.
- HDMI "handshake" issues: if the player is turned on before the display and/or audio or splitting device, HDCP or "handshake" errors may occur. . . . .Solution: turn on the HD-A35 last in your equipment power-on queue. Hopefully, future firmware may address this.
- Audio sync issue after pause to TACP . . . Solution: do a chapter skip and then jump back to re-sync, power cycle, maybe firmware.
- [To Be Confirmed] Selecting "bitstream" on the SPDIF digital audio setting seems to affect the sampling of the frequency of the digial audio signal sent over HDMI by locking it at 48kHz instead of 96kHz. This problem existed on the G2 players, but not sure how many HD-DVDs it really affects that have audio output at 24bit/96kHz. . . Solution: unclear, maybe firmware.
- Audio dropouts playing DD+ tracks bitstreamed to a HDMI version 1.3 receiver, but seems to work if PCM is selected, indicating a problem sending the bitstream over HDMI. . . Solution: unclear, maybe firmware

VIDEO SETTINGS and TWEAKS
- Suggestions welcome on settings.

AUDIO/HBR SETTINGS AND TWEAKS
- Suggestions welcome on analog 5.1 out and HBR over HDMI.
- To playback HBR (Dolby TrueHD, DD+, DTS-HD XX, etc.) over HDMI 1.3, set "Digital Out HDMI" to "auto", set "Direct Digital Audio" to "on."
- If you are using the optical/toslink port to output digital audio, then select either "PCM" for uncompressed 2-channel audio or "Bitstream" for 5.1/7.1 DTS and Dolby Digital output to a capable receiver.

UPSCALING PERFORMANCE/NOTES/ISSUES
- Suggestions welcome on the ABT1018 chip/overall performance

HDMI-CEC
- Anyone?

OTHER TWEAKS/NOTES
- To enter the time and date on the unit, you have to use the numeric keypad, not the arrows

NOTES - FAQ: PLEASE read before posting questions . . .
- The Units has the following features:
- - HDMI 1.3a port with support for Deep Color
- - Component video out
- - 5.1 analog output via 5.1 ports with distance, crossover and speaker "size" settings. The A35's analog outputs are line level outputs and cannot drive speakers - you will need to run these to your receivers 5.1 inputs for amplification.
- - Optical Toslink port for digial audio output
- - NO COXAIAL DIGITAL OUTPUT
- - ABT1018 chip for SD DVD upscaling - there are no picture quality adjustment settings for SD-DVD playback, except an adjustment for black level enhancement, which only works on 480i output over component cables according to the manual, though people seem to see a difference over hdmi too. This is unlike the XA2 which uses the Reon chip and has picture (color, brigntness, contrast, etc.) and quality (noise reduction, edge enhancement, block noise reduction) adjustment capabilities.
- - HBR = High Bitrate Audio - sends the HD audio formats to the receiver over HDMI 1.3, including DTS HD-Master, DD+. HBR is NOT possible over the optical toslink port, though you can get certain "core" or downmixed signals of the HD audio formats. HBR is NOT possible as a digital audio signal over the 5.1 analog outs, but the HD audio formats ARE output via an analog signal over the 5.1 analog outs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Count me in. If it's cool with the mods and other 35 owners.

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #3 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

I'm down with an a35 specific thread too.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #4 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am all for it. I have mine hooked up to a VW60 with the Onkyo 805. I am having lots of problems with the a35. I upgraded to 1.1 this afternoon and am watching my first movie. I also am getting another a35 fedexed to me from a different dealer tomorrow so I can test that out and narrow down what is causing the issues.
post #5 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Yes, there are too many separate threads and too many A3\\A30\\A35 combined threads. There should be an Official thread like this for each model. Nice job SPLawren!

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #6 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 03:19 PM

Please count me in as well. Thanks.
post #7 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 03:28 PM

Anyone have a A35 hooked up to a Onkyo 705 and a Sammy 1080p DLP? Thinking about making the plunge. Is the bitstream sound worth the extra $$$? Any concerns about 1080p@60?

Doug
post #8 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 03:31 PM

I agree an a35 specific thread is certainly warranted. and since they're already out and seem to be in good supply, hopefully this thread can jump right into the good stuff (tweaks et al) and won't have the usual first 25 pages of "when will it ship" and all that nonsense.

now getting down to business, what was this about a 1.1 upgrade? details...?

KO
post #9 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 03:33 PM

I have a A35 replacing a A1 going HDMI to a Onkyo 605 reciever going HDMI to a Mits DLP WD-65831, when I have the A35 set to 1080p the blacks are real hollow and weak, set on 1080i everything looks fine, any thoughts
post #10 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I was planning on ordering an A35 tomorrow, should I hold off?
post #11 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Another thing..this thread needs to have the first and maybe second posts reserved for all the problems, firmware fixes and issues as well as dl website and current state of the player...this way we wont have to dig all through this thread to find information pertinent to the player.

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #12 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Received my A-35 today. I'm coupling it to a Onkyo 605. Right now I have a Sony HS51 front projector but I'm upgrading soon to probably a VW60. I'll give my impressions shortly. Meantime, it might be nice for someone on this thread to post the proper settings for outputting bitstream and 1080p/24, etc just so some of us noobies can set things up a little faster. I haven't had time to install the A-35 yet and surf through the settings. Any tips would be appreciated.

Oh, and I already burned an image of the updated firmware, so installing that will probably be one of the first things I do.
post #13 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Might as well. My A35 and Dolby TrueHD thread was more about the sound...

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

Another thing..this thread needs to have the first and maybe second posts reserved for all the problems, firmware fixes and issues as well as dl website and current state of the player...this way we wont have to dig all through this thread to find information pertinent to the player.

Zoiks - I agree with this idea, but will fully admit I'm too lazy to check and update the first post. I'll try though.

That said, I just got an A35 from VE yesterday. Hooked it up toslink + hdmi to a Denon AVR-3805 and a Mits HC5000 projector and it looked pretty good on a few test discs. I haven't been able to update via ethernet to the 1.1/1.1 firmware, but will try again this weekend.

Keep the bugs, issues and tweaks coming - I'll try to add them up front.
post #15 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

I'm in...I have an A35 with the following equipment

Samsung 61" DLP 1080P
Integra DTC-9.8
Emotiva MPS-1
Focal Speakers 7.1 setup
JL Audio Fathom F113 SUB

So far, no issues...crosses fingers....
post #16 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

My HD-A35 feeds 1080p24 into my Sony 52XBR4 (5:5) and it looks absolutely amazing. Joerod was right about the load times of this new model, it has been greatly improved. The Toshiba is rock solid with no hiccups or freezes. Hats off to Toshiba for making a fine product. Not to mention support for my Onkyo .

Making the most out of what I got.
post #17 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

I am all for it. I have mine hooked up to a VW60 with the Onkyo 805. I am having lots of problems with the a35. I upgraded to 1.1 this afternoon and am watching my first movie. I also am getting another a35 fedexed to me from a different dealer tomorrow so I can test that out and narrow down what is causing the issues.

What exact problems are you having?
post #18 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

HD-A35 owner here, Hooked up to a Denon 3808 and a Pioneer pro150-fd display. So I'm getting 24p and bitstream audio.

Initially I was having a problem with pinpoint dropouts on certain DD+ tracks. Anyone who has a Denon HDMI 1.3 receiver (3808, etc) should immediately apply the Denon f/w update. Smooth as silk now. No trouble with the Transformers 1.5mbs DD+ track.

The 24p mode is nice but honestly I find more value from
* Having all the audio processing going on in the receiver, where I can control it and see what is happening
* The faster load times.

Basically I want the player to do as little as possible -- just send out unprocessed decoded video frames and audio. Kinda ironic that we have to pay *more* to get the capability for the player to stay the heck out of its own way.
post #19 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLawren View Post

Does any one else think there needs to be a separate thread for the Toshiba HD-A35? If people nix the idea, I'll pull the thread, but I'd like to see a thread for the A35, only, b/c there are enough differences and unique featuers (HBR audio, HDMI CEC, 5.1 analog outs, closer comparisons with the XA2). Of course, the usual topics apply:

- Audio, video, settings, tweaks
- Firmware updates, procedures, bugs, fixes, new updates requests
- Analog out settings, performance
- HBR settings, performance, issues
- Upscaling performance
- Interlacing issues/fix at 1080i/p 60fps
- HDMI CEC
- HD-DVD disc play issues
- Others?

Or should people just search through the various threads for what's already there. . . ?

There are multiple threads with bits and pieces of A35 knowledge, but we'll try to aggregate the key stuff here, up front, in this thread, in this first post with periodic updates.

FIRMWARE UPDATES
The 1.1/1.1 firmware is out, which is an upgrade from 1.0/1.1. Ethernet seems to be working for some folks, or you can burn an ISO image to a disc. Instructions are in another thread I'm still looking for.

KNOWN ISSUES, BUGS AND SUCH
- Improper deinterlacing at 1080p60 for HD-DVD, and at 720p, 1080p60, 1080p24 for SDDVD upscaling. Solutions: hoping it's not a hardware issue and that a firmware update will fix it in the near future.
- Some disc playback errors: any dirty or scratched discs, Transformers, Top Gun . . . Solutions: light soap and warm water, firmware updates.

VIDEO SETTINGS and TWEAKS
Suggestions welcome on settings.

AUDIO/HBR SETTINGS AND TWEAKS
Suggestinos welcome on analog 5.1 out and HBR.

UPSCALING PERFORMANCE/NOTES/ISSUES
Suggestions welcome on the ABT1018 chip performance.

HDMI-CEC
Anyone?

Looks Awesome!!

As for the extra work that is part of being an owner thread starter.....

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #20 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 06:16 PM

Does the A-35 load up faster than the A-30?
post #21 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 07:53 PM

what is enhanced black level?
post #22 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC7727 View Post

what is enhanced black level?

Page 33 of manual, "Effective only in 480i output from component"
post #23 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 09:37 PM

Yea I read that, but people on here state they see a difference with HDMI also.
post #24 of 4877 Old 10-19-2007, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Updated firmware. Downloaded via player (although I had a disc with 1.1 burned as backup). Took about 15 minutes to download. Then there was a 4 step installation process. 4/4 step made the standby light blink blue/red for about 3 minutes. Then it shut off. On restart the clock displayed. Entered the time. Then I checked the firmware and it was updated 1.1/1.1. No problem whatsoever.

I played Transformers. First time it froze on "updating web features". Had to force power off (15 seconds). Restart didn't freeze. Dolby Digital + displayed on my Onkyo 605 when the movie started. I didn't have ANY audio or video glitches at all. I'm happy.

This player might be a little faster than my RCA HDV5000. It took about 30 seconds before the HD DVD logo appeared on the screen and probably another 30 seconds before the menu appeared for the disc in the tray.
post #25 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Just got my A35 hooked up. My processor only does HDMI video, so I'm using the optical for audio. I'm assuming I want bitstream? Also, how do I check and see what firmware version I have?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #26 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Might as well. My A35 and Dolby TrueHD thread was more about the sound...

Here, here!

Mine was about both audio and video since what Joerod neglected to tell you is that he owns practically every HDM device invented, including the XA2. Basically what I am trying to say is that the device I updated from was an A2. From a viewing distance of a little over 8 feet on a 60" screen, I see the difference between i and p. So it was about video for me, as well.

We all owe (or will) owe joerod alot, since he was one of, if not the first A35 owner to get one AND post his opinions. He da' man...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #27 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 02:43 AM

Went down to Bestbuy to get a BDP1400, got me a A 35 while I am at it. The 1400 has firmware to let it bitstream DTS HD MA, does the A 35 do DTS HD MA yet? If not, when can we expect? In fact, are there any titles that support DTS HD MA for HD DVD for that matter? I was happy to find a copy of Bourne Identity and 300 when I opened my A35...I guess to show how DTHD kicks DD's asss. Bourne Identity...anything older? I mean I bought both so what do I do now with the demo? Return as new? nope, not for sale sticker all over it...give it to a friend as Christmas present I guess. I rather they throw in a decent hdmi cable or a sack of potato or something or is it random which discs are in the box
post #28 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Just got my A35 hooked up. My processor only does HDMI video, so I'm using the optical for audio. I'm assuming I want bitstream? Also, how do I check and see what firmware version I have?

Yes, set the optical setting on your 35 to bitstream. You will then have access to 1.5 mbps DTS. It's not DD+ or TrueHD but it's no slouch, either.

To check your firmware revision, go to setup and then the 'general' tab. Then go to 'maintenance'. Under maintenance, there is another button...Update. Push update and a box will pop up. The current format is:

xx/yy where yy is your version number. Most, if not all out of the box 35's will have 1.1/1.0. You will need to update to 1.1. When the update is completed, when you check again, it should read 1.1/1.1.

I hope this helps...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #29 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsunderI View Post

does the A 35 do DTS HD MA yet? If not, when can we expect? In fact, are there any titles that support DTS HD MA for HD DVD for that matter?

The answer to your 1st question is yes. The A-35 will bitstream DTS-MA. The answer to your 2nd question is...Imports!

If you go to the HD DVD Software thread, you will find all the information on where to buy and what to expect. Make sure you go to the bathroom first. You'll wet your pants when you see what movies are available and what audio formats are on them!

Good luck...Will

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #30 of 4877 Old 10-20-2007, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Is it just me or does it seem like a vast majority of members who bought an A-35 also own an HDMI 1.3a capable receiver?

I wonder why that is?

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page