post #541 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndy46 View Post

Some poster previously said that the sale won't happen in Utah. Is this TRUE?
Is there anyway I can circumvent this BS???
Also, I work tomorrow, is there any trick to buying online, and pick up at the stores nearby?
I am REALLY bummed about the Utah thing if it is true.
Lyndon
Salt Lake City

Yes. Blame your state laws. UT, WI, OK, HI and Puerto Rico do not allow this markdowns like this.

You still might get a deal, but not necessarily $99.

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?secti...e117144-lLink1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndy46 View Post

Some poster previously said that the sale won't happen in Utah. Is this TRUE?
Is there anyway I can circumvent this BS???
Also, I work tomorrow, is there any trick to buying online, and pick up at the stores nearby?
I am REALLY bummed about the Utah thing if it is true.
Lyndon
Salt Lake City

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret (re-directs from http://www.walmart.com/secret )

Quote:

"While quantities last. Not available in all stores.
Prices may vary in WI, OK, UT, HI, and Puerto Rico."

WI, OK, UT, and HI all supposedly have anti-dumping/predatory pricing laws.

The stars at night
Are big and bright
Deep in the Heart of Texas Theater!
post #543 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 04:27 PM

Liked: 11
It sucks. I called my local WM and spoke to the Electronics Manager. He said they have 30 A2's but they won't be $99. Same thing with the movies He said both WOULD be discounted but he wouldn't know the price on either until the price is updated in the system tomorrow morning.
post #544 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataxic_dentist View Post

It sucks. I called my local WM and spoke to the Electronics Manager. He said they have 30 A2's but they won't be $99. Same thing with the movies He said both WOULD be discounted but he wouldn't know the price on either until the price is updated in the system tomorrow morning.

I guess I don't need to stop by our WM then (up the Turnpike from you)to see all the people who were supposed to be feverishly snatching up all these player tomorrow...
post #545 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataxic_dentist View Post

Some WM managers are simply not in the loop on the specifics of this sale for some unknown reason. Odds are very high that all the stores that have the A2 and the discs will have them at the sale prices.

fafner
post #546 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 06:57 PM

I live in WI and called two Wal-Marts today. Both said they had "a lot" of players but the price would not be $98.

One clerk quoted me "$180-$200" but he didn't sound very sure.

If you're in a lame-o state like me, call ahead.
post #547 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 07:10 PM
D-X

Guuys, I owe all of you an apology.

I had NO CLUE that this was going to be the price. Home office dod one hell of a job hiding this info as it was nowhere to be found before today.

I did give a full list of all the $14.88 HD DVD movies on sale though.
post #548 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-X View Post

I had NO CLUE that this was going to be the price. Home office dod one hell of a job hiding this info as it was nowhere to be found before today.

Hey no prob.

P.S. I wonder if the so-called Wal-Mart Manager that posted that was relly a Wal-Mart Manager, or a paid Wal-Mart PR guy.
post #549 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My problem was not that you were right or wrong but with the attitude you took toward other forum members and the WM manager who posted info that you did not believe was correct.

fafner
post #550 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 PM
D-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

My problem was not that you were right or wrong but with the attitude you took toward other forum members and the WM manager who posted info that you did not believe was correct.

fafner

It was a member with 1 post.

I was just getting tired of people asking the same question over and over and over after I had answered it numerous times. Some people just need to learn to read.
post #551 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGreg View Post

Wallyworld IS going to have the Tosh A2 for $99.00 in an unadvertised (except the Walmart web site) Secret Sale with the 5 free HD DVD coupon EXCEPT!!!...in WI (my state), OK, UT, HI, and Puerto Rico. In my state it has something to do with a moronic deep discount law. Walmart will have them here...but at almost $200.00.

Looks like I'll be driving over the border into IL tomorrow before work. Sorry boss...I'll be late.

Where do you see that the 5 free HD DVD movies are still in play. Everywhere that I have looked at states that it was a summer sale, and it ended in Sept. Toshiba's website states Sept. as an end date as well.

Please give us a link if you know of any retailers that will still honor the 5 free DVD's, but so far all the sites that I have visited and used to boast about the free HD DVD's no longer has such information on their site.

There are only 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count and those that can't!
post #552 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsandbytes View Post

Where do you see that the 5 free HD DVD movies are still in play. Everywhere that I have looked at states that it was a summer sale, and it ended in Sept. Toshiba's website states Sept. as an end date as well.

Please give us a link if you know of any retailers that will still honor the 5 free DVD's, but so far all the sites that I have visited and used to boast about the free HD DVD's no longer has such information on their site.

Google (and Toshiba) is your friend.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/hddvd/da...Rebate_R08.pdf
post #553 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

looks like Toshkba has now set the bar for HD-DVD player prices. Now the consumer will expect $99 players now. Have fun with that Toshiba.

Thats the genius of it. Toshiba did not set the bar for HD DVD Player prices until after they segmented the market. See all of these Blu Boys running on here claiming the player sucks because it's 1080i and last gens model?

Well, Toshiba can still the pimp the crap out of the 1080p 3rd Gen players for $300, which cost marginally more to produce than the 2nd gen 1080i players, and still sell them against $400 1080p Blu Ray players while being considered the better value. They did the one thing that every business in America wants to do, Price Discriminate. Ironically enough, Sony's Full HD Campaign is probably one of the biggest factors in making this move possible.

Ever Notice how 720p TVs are dirt cheap yet 1080p TVs still sell like hotcakes even though most wont notice a difference between 720 and 1080?
post #554 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post

People people people...

Let me state this LOUD AND CLEAR.

I don't favor one format over the other..PERIOD. They are equal in my eyes...save the tongue lashing for true fanboy troublemakers.

Look...I'd love to be able to upgrade my 4 SD DVD players...but due to this mess I'm not willing to at this time....there has to be ONE FORMAT...pricing that nears what we see SD stuff...there needs to be local rental options that don't just have a handful of hi-def movies...

When/if that day comes and my machines slowly die off and hi-def discs are so engrained in the shopping world etc, THEN I will slowly start an adoption process.

I will not fall into the "fanboy" trap.

So I take it you're going to WM for their Secret Sale today? Kinda hard to keep your argument going with the $99 price tag. Time to bite that proverbial bullet and grab one to hook up to your HD TV, ya think????
post #555 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Lyndon,

I have a buddy in SLC. He called around and apparently on some Wal Mart stores are affected. He and another guy from work are going to go hit half a dozen Wal Marts in the morning.

Apparently he said only about 1/3 of the stores will be carrying the players, but he wasn't specific with me on which ones they are. He did say that some of them claim to have 50 units.

Crap. I'm in UT also.

Gamertag: Bonfirehat
post #556 of 560 Old 11-01-2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by D-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

fafner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Hey no prob.

P.S. I wonder if the so-called Wal-Mart Manager that posted that was relly a Wal-Mart Manager, or a paid Wal-Mart PR guy.

It actually turned out to be a big coincidence that our store found out the price on Tuesday. We just happened to be looking at the playbook right when it was dropped to the stores from home office. It initially had the prices of all the items in the secret sale and we printed them off. I'm guessing that after about 15 minutes they realized what they had done and immediately removed the prices from the playbook. When I checked it the next day (Wednesday) like D-X there was no pricing in the playbook anymore.

However, Wednesday was a different story. By Wednesday morning the tab file (the pricing file that will activate at the time of the sale so that the items ring up correctly at the register) had dropped and showed the $98.87 price. So all day Wednesday while D-X was claiming that the $98 price was not happening, he was correct in stating that playbook did not show the $98.87 price, however any manager in the company could have looked at the tab file and saw the sale price that morning.
post #557 of 560 Old 11-02-2007, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was a member with 1 post.

I was just getting tired of people asking the same question over and over and over after I had answered it numerous times. Some people just need to learn to read.

Yes and unfortunately you gave them wrong information even it if was unintenional, and the member with one post gave the correct information. Maybe you should adjust your expectations from new members accordingly.

And again you are showing a disrespectful attitude toward other users who may not have time to read every post on every thread but just want an answer. As a manager you should know to always be respectful to all those around you. At least that is what I expect from a manager.

fafner
post #558 of 560 Old 11-02-2007, 04:47 AM
D-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMManager View Post

Originally Posted by D-X

It actually turned out to be a big coincidence that our store found out the price on Tuesday. We just happened to be looking at the playbook right when it was dropped to the stores from home office. It initially had the prices of all the items in the secret sale and we printed them off. I'm guessing that after about 15 minutes they realized what they had done and immediately removed the prices from the playbook. When I checked it the next day (Wednesday) like D-X there was no pricing in the playbook anymore.

However, Wednesday was a different story. By Wednesday morning the tab file (the pricing file that will activate at the time of the sale so that the items ring up correctly at the register) had dropped and showed the $98.87 price. So all day Wednesday while D-X was claiming that the $98 price was not happening, he was correct in stating that playbook did not show the $98.87 price, however any manager in the company could have looked at the tab file and saw the sale price that morning.

Could have it I actually worked that day.

Sorry, but yoiu had ONE post and made what sounded like a pretty damn outrageous claim. WHat did you honestly expect?

Ive apologized once and you and fafner just become arrogant jerks about it. Ill just hold what info I do have next time.
post #559 of 560 Old 11-02-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
People people people...

Let me state this LOUD AND CLEAR.

I don't favor one format over the other..PERIOD. They are equal in my eyes...save the tongue lashing for true fanboy troublemakers.

Look...I'd love to be able to upgrade my 4 SD DVD players...but due to this mess I'm not willing to at this time....there has to be ONE FORMAT...pricing that nears what we see SD stuff...there needs to be local rental options that don't just have a handful of hi-def movies...

When/if that day comes and my machines slowly die off and hi-def discs are so engrained in the shopping world etc, THEN I will slowly start an adoption process.

I will not fall into the "fanboy" trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamminJoe View Post

So I take it you're going to WM for their Secret Sale today? Kinda hard to keep your argument going with the $99 price tag. Time to bite that proverbial bullet and grab one to hook up to your HD TV, ya think????

Why???....Ya missed TWO things there....first I said when there is ONE format I'll jump in...also added that I'll do THAT when my current players start dying off...they haven't

I DON'T want a nich machine that only plays SOME hi-def movies..I want ONE machine at that kind of price tag that plays EVER SINGLE HI-DEF DVD made...period.
post #560 of 560 Old 11-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 316
enough of this

members who are insulting other members are violating AVS rules

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page