Visual Proof of HD-A2 at Walmart - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wnorris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Personally my suspicion is that they made this deal for the A2 some time ago and have been dedicating production for Wal Mart for at least the last month or so. Walmart might also feel more comfortable selling the A2 as it's been out for a year, has more refined firmware and has a "proven" track record with consumers.

Wal Mart might have placed such a large order that they needed to dedicate A2 production to them some time ago, and now A3 is going into the channel for everyone else.

One store has reported about 60 decks on order. There are over 1000 Walmarts in the US, plus more in Canada. Assuming other stores are ordering around 60 decks, that's 60K decks going to Wal Mart stores as an initial order. With likely additional shipments going out in November/December.

That's a fair amount of production.

Fact check:

There are 1040 Wal-Mart Discount stores in the US (regular Wal-Marts). There are 2326 Wal-Mart Super stores in the US (super Wal-Marts).

This brings the total number of Wal-Marts to 3366 in the US, not including Sam's Clubs (584) and Canada (278 + 7 Sams). That would be 254k players if every location got 60 (highly unlikely).
wnorris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
 
unclewebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Toshiba isn't losing money selling an A2 at $200. The marginal cost to manufacture a machine to play an HD DVD is minimal. The real cost is probably similar to what it costs to manufacture a stand alone DVD player and we all know how little they retail for these days.

The movie companies that went exclusively with HD DVD this year did so for one reason. Toshiba's new deal with Wal-Mart at a price point that any consumer with a high def TV can easily afford. They are hoping to flood the market with these players this Christmas season. Movie sales will follow which should convince more of Hollywood to produce HD DVDs in 2008.

XBox outselling the PS3 by over 4 to 1 last month, Transformers HD DVD continuing to sit at #1 in the high def sales charts and Toshiba getting their foot in the door at Wal-Mart are all very positive signs for HD DVD.
unclewebb is offline  
post #63 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post

Toshiba isn't losing money selling an A2 at $200. The marginal cost to manufacture a machine to play an HD DVD is minimal. The real cost is probably similar to what it costs to manufacture a stand alone DVD player and we all know how little they retail for these days.

The movie companies that went exclusively with HD DVD this year did so for one reason. Toshiba's new deal with Wal-Mart at a price point that any consumer with a high def TV can easily afford. They are hoping to flood the market with these players this Christmas season. Movie sales will follow which should convince more of Hollywood to produce HD DVDs in 2008.

XBox outselling the PS3 by over 4 to 1 last month, Transformers HD DVD continuing to sit at #1 in the high def sales charts and Toshiba getting their foot in the door at Wal-Mart are all very positive signs for HD DVD.

That's a rather ignorant statement.

If you want to say that at the basic level, the assembly of a DVD machine and an HD DVD machine are the same then you would be correct.

However, the parts costs, even with large volumes, for an HD DVD player (or Blu Ray player) are much much higher.

HD DVD players require inclusion of a blue laser diode, additional computer memory, additional ethernet controllers and many other components not found in a regular DVD player.

Even at commodity prices this adds a lot to the manufacturing costs.

Blu Ray players are even more expensive to manufacture because they require the inclusion of a much higher quality optical sub system to read the blu-ray disc spec.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #64 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
unclewebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You should look into the actual cost of computer memory or ethernet ports when you buy 100,000 or a 1,000,000 of them.

The cost of HD DVD was to develop the technology. The cost to actually produce a player is dirt cheap and well under the $200 retail price.
unclewebb is offline  
post #65 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wnorris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

That's a rather ignorant statement.

If you want to say that at the basic level, the assembly of a DVD machine and an HD DVD machine are the same then you would be correct.

However, the parts costs, even with large volumes, for an HD DVD player (or Blu Ray player) are much much higher.

HD DVD players require inclusion of a blue laser diode, additional computer memory, additional ethernet controllers and many other components not found in a regular DVD player.

Even at commodity prices this adds a lot to the manufacturing costs.

Blu Ray players are even more expensive to manufacture because they require the inclusion of a much higher quality optical sub system to read the blu-ray disc spec.

Memeroy and Ethernet ports are dimes in large quantities. Blue laser isn't what it once was either. In January, just the diode was around $35 if you could get one. Now in for a quantity of one they are about $14, so in bulk, probably around $9 each. 1/4 the price now as in January.

They are more expensive than DVD, but I doubt by more than $20-$30 at this time. A decent chunk of that is just extra licensing.
wnorris is offline  
post #66 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
MohaimenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Even if they make $10 profit, still they're making a profit. 2nd, they're not here to make profit on their players, they're more interested in ONE THINK and that is to win the war and be exclusive. That will give them over $10 billion over the next 10 years. Sony is too much into themselves to understand that. They want to make money now and future. That's their plan.

Hmmmmm What to write?
MohaimenK is offline  
post #67 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'm very familiar with what components cost in bulk, as I work for a telecomm equipment provider and have seen the cost breakdown on our components.

I think you will find though that even from a parts perspective an HD DVD player costs at least $50 more in just parts costs than a standard DVD unit.

You guys would be a bit naive to suggest otherwise. Would you argue that an HD DVD player requires a faster processor? More RAM? extra controllers? Extra DSPs?

Even at bulk prices all of this adds up. It also increases cost of the mainboard fabrication .
jmpage2 is offline  
post #68 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cobolisdead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Prattville, AL
Posts: 1,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I hope these players don't come out before I get my stand alone player. Man, I really hope that I can hold out for an XA2.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
cobolisdead is offline  
post #69 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Otter0911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

If true.
Should this not be in the rumor thread?

Its a pretty nice A2 rumor I got sitting in my bedroom for $198.00
Otter0911 is offline  
post #70 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Member
 
Dark Helmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw the A3 at my local walmart for $298
Dark Helmet is offline  
post #71 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 PM
D-X
Senior Member
 
D-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Those of you asking why would WM or Toshiba do this: Its Wal-Mart. Do NOT disregard their buying and selling power.
D-X is offline  
post #72 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
unclewebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a powerful Celeron 900 which is very similar to the one inside the A2.

It retails for $10.48. Buy a 100,000 of them directly from Intel and I'm sure Toshiba got a better price than that. Once an item is designed, the incremental cost of production is minor. The third generation is more like a minor update with Toshiba learning new ways to cut costs to maintain their profit margins.
unclewebb is offline  
post #73 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Kolgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeahhhh... no.

I stopped at two Wal-Marts today in my town of Madison, Wisconsin. Both only just got their acts "together" with a half-assed HDM display on one endcap, about 3:2 Blu-ray to HD DVD.

It's pretty weak. And there's no HD player there of any kind other than PS3.

So far, no good.
Kolgar is offline  
post #74 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Averhoeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now, the real question is... would Best Buy allow me to 30day price match with that or do I need to wait until pictures are up?
Averhoeven is offline  
post #75 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
cdzie1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if this was posted:

"I have a picture of a 198.00 Toshiba a2 on a endcap in walmart. I dont know how to send it. The store I was at had to take the endcap down because its not set to sell until 11/03. It will be in the circular for that week. Each store was allocated 18 units. It is set as a nonreplenishable item. Meaning the will get in whole buys when they ask for them. Meaning walmart. If anyone knows how to share a pic let me know."


Note: I couldn’t link the image from imageshack, so I downloaded, resized and copied it to my server. It is not my picture however.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/viewComments.cfm?db=dvd
cdzie1 is offline  
post #76 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I'm very familiar with what components cost in bulk, as I work for a telecomm equipment provider and have seen the cost breakdown on our components.

I think you will find though that even from a parts perspective an HD DVD player costs at least $50 more in just parts costs than a standard DVD unit.

You guys would be a bit naive to suggest otherwise. Would you argue that an HD DVD player requires a faster processor? More RAM? extra controllers? Extra DSPs?

Even at bulk prices all of this adds up. It also increases cost of the mainboard fabrication .

There was a very detailed nearly full-page report in the New York Times a year or so ago which stated that a basic DVD player cost ~$19.00 to make, pack and distribute in the US. Thus, the explanation as to why Colby, etc can sell players for $29 or $39 and still make a sizeable profit. I have never seen anyone dispute this analysis.

So even with a basic HD-DVD player's parts costing 2 or even 4 times as much, then we can estimate that the cost ranges from $60 to $160.00. Thus a profit would be made at $199 and and most likely also at $149. Or using the $50 upcharge for HD-DVD parts mentioned here, the cost would be around $69.00, again ensuring a nice profit at any reported MSRP for HD-DVD players.

Remember that Toshiba's strategy all along was to minimize all costs by staying as close to standard DVD as possible in all aspects. It is not at all unreasonable to think they have gotten to the point now where the upcharge for making HD-DVD players is at a low figure.
fafner
fafner is offline  
post #77 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Averhoeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well thank you. I figure with these 2 items in hand, I may find myself about $50 richer at Best Buy in the next few days!
Averhoeven is offline  
post #78 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 04:40 PM
 
Slim GoodBooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was in a WM yesterday and the A2 is $198, A3 is $298 and the S300 is $498.
Slim GoodBooty is offline  
post #79 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
theone2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdzie1 View Post


Note: I couldn't link the image from imageshack, so I downloaded, resized and copied it to my server. It is not my picture however.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/viewComments.cfm?db=dvd

theone2 is offline  
post #80 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rover2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdzie1 View Post

Not sure if this was posted:

"I have a picture of a 198.00 Toshiba a2 on a endcap in walmart. I dont know how to send it. The store I was at had to take the endcap down because its not set to sell until 11/03. It will be in the circular for that week. Each store was allocated 18 units. It is set as a nonreplenishable item. Meaning the will get in whole buys when they ask for them. Meaning walmart. If anyone knows how to share a pic let me know."


Note: I couldn't link the image from imageshack, so I downloaded, resized and copied it to my server. It is not my picture however.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/viewComments.cfm?db=dvd

That looks like the A1.
rover2002 is offline  
post #81 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MichaelHDDVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fantastic price!

$198 on the shelf at a store BAM!!!

No pricing error, no wondering if the online company will honor the $200 price. Now only if Toshiba flashes the "5 Free movie" promo
MichaelHDDVD is offline  
post #82 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
The Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a old type 40
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdzie1 View Post

Not sure if this was posted:

"I have a picture of a 198.00 Toshiba a2 on a endcap in walmart. I dont know how to send it. The store I was at had to take the endcap down because its not set to sell until 11/03. It will be in the circular for that week. Each store was allocated 18 units. It is set as a nonreplenishable item. Meaning the will get in whole buys when they ask for them. Meaning walmart. If anyone knows how to share a pic let me know."


Note: I couldn’t link the image from imageshack, so I downloaded, resized and copied it to my server. It is not my picture however.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/viewComments.cfm?db=dvd


That looks like the A1.

No, that actually is an a2, you can tell by the picture of the A2 on the Box
The Doctor is offline  
post #83 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xboxboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
omg - 30 units each ordered! that would be 60 units. if that is per store. how many of that will be on Wal-mart across the US of A
xboxboi is offline  
post #84 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Robert D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxboi View Post

omg - 30 units each ordered! that would be 60 units. if that is per store. how many of that will be on Wal-mart across the US of A

I don't know how many Walmarts are in the USA but if they had this promotion world wide I think they could sell a million players by the end of the year.
Robert D is offline  
post #85 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
HiDef4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is fantastic new for HDDVD. C'mon Black Friday! So much for Fuh Yuan!
HiDef4Life is offline  
post #86 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xboxboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
and oh. one of the many reasons that Dreamworks and Paramount went HD DVD exclusive. Comes November 3rd, we might see Disney making announcements that will again shock world press. Anyhow = people keep selling the 18month period exclusive deal. you know what. 18month is closing. start counting from June 2006
xboxboi is offline  
post #87 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rover2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post

I don't know how many Walmarts are in the USA but if they had this promotion world wide I think they could sell a million players by the end of the year.

Fixed.
rover2002 is offline  
post #88 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rover2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

No, that actually is an a2, you can tell by the picture of the A2 on the Box

What else could i have been referring to if not the pic?
The silver bar is blured and gave me the impression of a 1st gen unit, after checking my unit (E1) i concur, its a 2nd gen
rover2002 is offline  
post #89 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
HiDef4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxboi View Post

and oh. one of the many reasons that Dreamworks and Paramount went HD DVD exclusive. Comes November 3rd, we might see Disney making announcements that will again shock world press. Anyhow = people keep selling the 18month period exclusive deal. you know what. 18month is closing. start counting from June 2006

I thought HDDVD was ''dead''.
HiDef4Life is offline  
post #90 of 560 Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rover2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDef4Life View Post

I thought HDDVD was ''dead''.

In asia it pretty much is
rover2002 is offline  
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off