Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Then what the hell are you doing here? Seriously. If you are sitting on the sidelines booing the whole format war then you aren't contributing one iota to the discussion of the issues.

If you are waiting for;

1. The format war to be settled.

2. $50 HDM players.

3. $10 HDM media.

Then you are going to be waiting a really really long time.

LOL don't bother w/ him. He's been here since 2001 so he obviously knows what's up just doesn't know how to make a good decision form what he just said. So let him enjoy his VHS and $5 movies on his, who knows what type of tv that he's using.

But for the rest of us, most of us in this thread will enjoy the spankin clarity of the hd dvd's and convince others to join us. If only people sat around like mr Gordon then there wouldn't be an outcome of anything.

Remember, safe players are cheap players. They have lot to gain yet nothing to spend to gain them, so they end up losing most of the fun.

Last time I checked, I bought my HDTVs for a reason, and that is to watch as much as hd programming I can....

Hmmmmm What to write?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdzie1 View Post

This thing is spreading around the net like crazy. It's possible that Wal-mart may sell these out by the end of the first weekend, especially if they only get 18 units per store.

If that happens, the buyers at Wal-mart will have a lot to think about!

Whew! I don't know. Still... Only 68,000 total...It could happen.
post #183 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:09 AM

I remember buying my first DVD player and it was over $200.I also remember the small selections at the rental stores as well as Wal Mart.Same thing here,people want the next best thing and I think an under $200 player will sell well this holiday season.
It wasnt untill Wal Mart jumped into the HDTV market that the prices started to come down to where the average Joe could afford one.I see the same thing happening with the HDM market.
post #184 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 AM

MohaimenK: Nice display at Wally-Mart. I was just wondering if you have these things hooked up properly with an HDMI cable so shoppers are seeing what the A2 is really capable of. Maybe you could drag a couch from home furnishings into that aisle and a popcorn machine so people can relax and enjoy a good movie. After the show they'll naturally pick up an A2 to take home with them.

Gordon: I think you under estimate the demand for a cheap HD player. Once the $200 price point was broken in Canada last month for a few weekend sales, it was pretty tough trying to find an A2. They were flying off the shelves.
post #185 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohaimenK View Post

LOL don't bother w/ him. He's been here since 2001 so he obviously knows what's up just doesn't know how to make a good decision form what he just said. So let him enjoy his VHS and $5 movies on his, who knows what type of tv that he's using.

But for the rest of us, most of us in this thread will enjoy the spankin clarity of the hd dvd's and convince others to join us. If only people sat around like mr Gordon then there wouldn't be an outcome of anything.

Remember, safe players are cheap players. They have lot to gain yet nothing to spend to gain them, so they end up losing most of the fun.

Last time I checked, I bought my HDTVs for a reason, and that is to watch as much as hd programming I can....

Just an FYI Mr. Elistist....

Using a 57" Hitachi RP HDTV in the main "home theater"(yes I'm sure you HATE that term)...included with that is my new JVC digital 7.1 receiver to run my current 6.1 set up. Oh and yes I do have a 5 disc upconverting DVD player attached to all that..all connected via HDMI. ...sorry no VHS...I retired my S-VHS player a few years back.

Upstairs we're enjoying HD Directv on our 32" Westy LCD.

I'm sure NONE of that is up to your elitist standards, I don't really care, but just wanted to clarify for you what I had going on in my household.

Currently
post #186 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SamwisetheBrave

Sorry I totally just ignored you. Thanks for the compliment

As for getting people to help out at Walmart, I don't even know who I'd call to get that done. I can tell my manager, but by the end of the day, he wouldn't give a damn and just forget it.....u know what I mean??

You're welcome.

And THANK YOU again. I was getting a little blue (pun intended) thinking that the cheap $198 Chinese players weren't coming.

Now: Who needs them!!!
post #187 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post

It's a free world...No rules stating I can't offer counter point to some far out predictions found in both camps....

For instance the one above saying that WM will sell ALL these $198 players in one weekend....not gonna happen folks...the slow adopters that wanted to wait till the $200 mark will snatch these up..sure..that's a given....the "regular" shopper will pass it by.

Man seriously, just go away, no one wants your useleses worthless negative thoughts in this thread. Go post where someone actually cares about what you have to say on the format war.. this thread is about Walmart and HD DVD okay? Goodbye!

Panasonic 50" VT25 3D = Beauty
post #188 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

as of 20 mins ago (i called them), my local wm (hinsdale, nh) had no hd dvd players, no hdmedia, no idea when they will get any, i seriously doubt the elect. man. even knew what the stuff was. bummer. i want to buy one locally as im pretty sure id have to return/exchange (unless i get really lucky) it based on reliablility issues talked about here at avs. i dont want to have to deal w time consuming shipping to/fro, etc if i bought it on-line.
post #189 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post

MohaimenK: Nice display at Wally-Mart. I was just wondering if you have these things hooked up properly with an HDMI cable so shoppers are seeing what the A2 is really capable of. Maybe you could drag a couch from home furnishings into that aisle and a popcorn machine so people can relax and enjoy a good movie. After the show they'll naturally pick up an A2 to take home with them.

haha no no can't put couches even though that dept is right beside ours. I'm sure it's a fire safety hazzard.
Also, we do have popcorn in our dept but again, I'm sure its some type of safety hazzard from all those little mommies that will come and try to sue walmart for giving their kids popcorn w/out their permission

Walmart is currently too cheap to go and put HDMI set up all over but we're using 1:8 component switch. Plus those HDMI switches will be too expensive. But after getting through setups, I'll make the picture look just as sexy as myself

Hmmmmm What to write?
post #190 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

there are other types of fun besides hd ht. i cant think of any right now but i know they're out there. LOL!
post #191 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris-Co View Post

Man seriously, just go away, no one wants your useleses worthless negative thoughts in this thread. Go post where someone actually cares about what you have to say on the format war.. this thread is about Walmart and HD DVD okay? Goodbye!

Just ignore him, like I have
post #192 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:34 AM

I just came from the nearest WM (I'm in Oklahoma). They have no HD DVD or bluray players of any sort and no immediate plans to carry them. Their selection of disks was also dismal. There's another WM across town. I'll see if their selection is any better in a day or two.
post #193 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just came back from my local WM where they had 23 HD-A2s on the floor (14 on an end cap and 9 up on a shelf). All were marked $198. I took one to the register and, when scanned, was greeted with a "Sell Not Allowed" on the register screen. I pushed it all the way up to the store manager but they would not sell it to me. I was told they can't sell them until 11/3.
post #194 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

walmart rocks....
post #195 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:39 AM

FYI,

Just called my Walmart in Germantown, MD and they said they had 6 of them at 198. Will be picking one up on my way home!
post #196 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Here's what page 20 from the A2 manual says:

*Why HDMI connection is most recommended?

HD DVD and DVD video disc creators have the option to include copy protection instructions in their discs that prohibit the output of some standard video or high definition video (original 720p or 1080i or up-converted 480i or 480p) from the COMPONENT OUTPUT jacks. If such instructions are present in the disc you are playing, you must use the HDMI OUTPUT jack to view the disc in a high definition format and the COMPONENT OUTPUT jacks, if activated, will output video only in 480i or 480p resolution.

That's one of the reasons consumers don't notice much of a difference when shopping. Most stores are hooking these things up with component cables like they've always used and the output at 480i or 480p is not high definition and no better than what they're used to from a regular DVD player. Aisle 3 usually has HDMI cables so go crack one open and hook at least one of these players up properly. You might sell some more HDMI cables as well!
post #197 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:

HD DVD and DVD video disc creators have the option to include copy protection instructions in their discs that prohibit the output of some standard video or high definition video (original 720p or 1080i or up-converted 480i or 480p) from the COMPONENT OUTPUT jacks. If such instructions are present in the disc you are playing, you must use the HDMI OUTPUT jack to view the disc in a high definition format and the COMPONENT OUTPUT jacks, if activated, will output video only in 480i or 480p resolution.

That's one of the reasons consumers don't notice much of a difference when shopping. Most stores are hooking these things up with component cables like they've always used and the output at 480i or 480p is not high definition and no better than what they're used to from a regular DVD player. Aisle 3 usually has HDMI cables so go crack one open and hook at least one of these players up properly. You might sell some more HDMI cables as well!

Thats only for upconverted DVDs, if you play HD DVDs it will still be 720p/1080i thru component.

In the world of the blind, the One Eye'd man is king.
post #198 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

\\

I'm TOTALLY willing to wait it out...there isn't a movie made that I "MUST HAVE" in hi-def DVD....it just doesn't excite me to the n'th degree like it does for some folks...not sayin it's a bad thing, but I just don't get excited about it.

how can you have an opinion on this matter if you don't own either format?

SD DVD's are a waste of time if you own a HDTV.
post #199 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it sounds like u're referring to 'ict' (image constraint token) which is not currently being used on hdm; maybe in 2010, according to rumors. hopefully NOT! so, the way i understand it you will currently get an hd image from a hd dvd thru component output but not an upscaled image from a sd dvd.
post #200 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 10:54 AM

I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read. I just tested my A2 and it puts out 1080i with component cables when playing a HD DVD.
post #201 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

People people people...

Let me state this LOUD AND CLEAR.

I don't favor one format over the other..PERIOD. They are equal in my eyes...save the tongue lashing for true fanboy troublemakers.

Look...I'd love to be able to upgrade my 4 SD DVD players...but due to this mess I'm not willing to at this time....there has to be ONE FORMAT...pricing that nears what we see SD stuff...there needs to be local rental options that don't just have a handful of hi-def movies...

When/if that day comes and my machines slowly die off and hi-def discs are so engrained in the shopping world etc, THEN I will slowly start an adoption process.

I will not fall into the "fanboy" trap.

NO HDM FOR YOU!!!

One format....LOL!

Keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting.
While you wait....more and more people will be enjoying the hell out of HD....wether it be in a blu case or red case....or both!
post #202 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Spalding View Post

how can you have an opinion on this matter if you don't own either format?

SD DVD's are a waste of time if you own a HDTV.

Sorry to disagree, but no they're not. They provide hours of enjoyment for us...
post #203 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martijua View Post

NO HDM FOR YOU!!!

One format....LOL!

Keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting.
While you wait....more and more people will be enjoying the hell out of HD....wether it be in a blu case or red case....or both!

And absolutely more power to them..it's a free world...I'm quite happy they are enjoying it....I can wait.
post #204 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris-Co View Post

You are completely correct..this is about WM and HD DVD...and that's what we're discussing..points and counterpoints...like it or not.

My stance is even with stscks of $200 machines staring the masses in the face, it will not grab hold of them as many claim it will...heck some here think all stores will sell out of these the FIRST WEEKEND....not gonna happen IMO.
post #205 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

You seem to be radically confused about what Wal Mart does. They pay their employees at the absolute low end of the range and do virtually ZERO training on any products other than what they might pick up from brochures, the internet, word of mouth, or some random sales rep that shows up at a store.

To insist that Wal Mart gives two craps about educating the public OR their own employees about HDM formats is laughable at best and ridiculous at worst.

Wal Mart doesn't care about educating consumers beyond what can be done with in store demo discs and printed brochures and point of sales materials.

They simply don't pay their people enough to justify turning them into AV experts.

Easy, fella. I'd quoted (and was responding to) a poster who apparently works at Wal-Mart and was going to great lengths to explain how hard he works to educate his patrons.

And I was saying that without that education, it's still a question how well these A2s will sell at WM, $198 price tag or no.
post #206 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 PM

Who cares - not that great of a deal considering you can buy the new A3 for $250 and you are getting 2 extra HD-DVDs in the box too.
post #207 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post

Just came back from my local WM where they had 23 HD-A2s on the floor (14 on an end cap and 9 up on a shelf). All were marked $198. I took one to the register and, when scanned, was greeted with a "Sell Not Allowed" on the register screen. I pushed it all the way up to the store manager but they would not sell it to me. I was told they can't sell them until 11/3.

I wonder what the point of that is? That's just part way between now and Black Friday. Nothing else special about that date, is there?
post #208 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1969 View Post

Who cares - not that great of a deal considering you can buy the new A3 for $250 and you are getting 2 extra HD-DVDs in the box too.

I'd rather have an A2 and 5 movies for $198 than an A3 and 7 movies for $249, considering the A3 and A2 are functionally the same.

Quote:

That's just stupid.
post #209 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Doesn't the A2 perform like the A1 does when using optical? sending DD+ as DTS at 1.5mbps. I thought the A3 sends DD+ as DD at 640kbps. That would be my main reason to choose the A2 over the A3.
post #210 of 560 Old 10-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They are going to run an ad in the Wal-mart circular and it’s probably going to say something like “minimum 18 per store.” That’s why they won’t sell them early.
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page