Visual Proof of HD-A2 at Walmart - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2007, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, I work for Walmart part time, in the Electronics Dept and had to be very excited, as an HD DVD supporter, when I found out that Walmart is going to carry the A2 for $198. I found the SKU #s and was able to track it down when I went to work finally. Here are the 2 visual proof of them being ordered. I don't know yet, why they have two different SKU #s but we are getting Qty of 30 for each SKU #s.

Hmmmmm What to write?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is indeed good news. And aside from a picture of one on the shelf, what you showed is pretty solid proof.

Go red team, go!

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
Old 10-24-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
weren't these discontinued and replaced by A3?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

weren't these discontinued and replaced by A3?

Actually, no words on if they were discontinued but from what I can tell, Toshiba came out w/ the A3 really quickly, which didn't make sense to me at first, but now I realize why. They wanted to hold off on the rest of the shipment of A2 for the X-mas season.

I am very sure they had talked about this deal w/ Walmart way before they even released the A3 and that is the reason Walmart decided not to carry the Venturer. It makes perfect sense because we have regular Venturer DVD players on our shelves and for them to deny the HD DVD version was very weird until we saw the Toshiba SKU's for sub $200 player. Who on their right mind would buy a Venturer for $200 when they can get Toshiba for $198??

Also, I am going to work tonight at Walmart so when I do, I'll see if they have arrived or not. Since I work there evenings, I never get to see my manager so I can't actually ask her what's going on.

Hmmmmm What to write?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:06 AM

I will be getting one of these....do we know when these will be available? Are all the stores going to get some?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post

I will be getting one of these....do we know when these will be available? Are all the stores going to get some?

I will see if I can check other stores or not. But this is a deal between Toshiba and Walmart and I am very sure it's nationwide deal because I've heard from other people that they've seen the A2's on shelves for $198 but not sure how true that is because it should've already made google news by now w/ picture. But I assure you, the day I get them in our store, you will have a picture uploaded here

Will get you guys more update tonight when I go to work at 7pm.

Hmmmmm What to write?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohaimenK View Post

I will see if I can check other stores or not. But this is a deal between Toshiba and Walmart and I am very sure it's nationwide deal because I've heard from other people that they've seen the A2's on shelves for $198 but not sure how true that is because it should've already made google news by now w/ picture. But I assure you, the day I get them in our store, you will have a picture uploaded here

Will get you guys more update tonight when I go to work at 7pm.

Thanks...will be waiting for the update...
Old 10-24-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

The full registerd barcode number for these items are 022265000151 and 022265000236. Both are barcodes issued by Toshiba Consumer Products USA.

Description for the 022265000151 is Toshiba HD DVD HD-A2-K-TU
Description for the 022265000236 is "Blank"

Since places like Costco have their own HD-A2C. Perhaps Wal-Mart is initially getting standard A2's, later to get HD-A2W's with their own UPC.

Other possibilities include a unique UPC for a Black Friday special (price would be the same, lowered the day of the special, and raised back to $198 after the special ended, for any unsold inventory). Or they could also be doing some type of uniqe bundle, requiring a different UPC. Like how they have regular DVD's, and then the two pack with a book or extra disc and the regular DVD, exclusive to Wal-Mart.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Can you tell us if this store previously had HD DVD movies or standalones? Thx...
Old 10-24-2007, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

Description for the 022265000236 is "Blank

Thats because its 02226500023. Don't put 6 in the end

Hmmmmm What to write?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guys, I work for Walmart part time, in the Electronics Dept and had to be very excited, as an HD DVD supporter, when I found out that Walmart is going to carry the A2 for $198. I found the SKU #s and was able to track it down when I went to work finally. Here are the 2 visual proof of them being ordered. I don't know yet, why they have two different SKU #s but we are getting Qty of 30 for each SKU #s.

Very nice Let the games begin.

Blu ray is the best Blah, blah, blah.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Other possibilities include a unique UPC for a Black Friday special (price would be the same, lowered the day of the special, and raised back to $198 after the special ended, for any unsold inventory). Or they could also be doing some type of uniqe bundle, requiring a different UPC. Like how they have regular DVD's, and then the two pack with a book or extra disc and the regular DVD, exclusive to Wal-Mart.

As for the price go, there's something else, SOMETHING VERY INTERESTING TO DO WITH PRICING, and I am not sure if I can discuss that w/ anyone which is why I blacked it out on both pictures. Just for safety reason, I just made sure the $198 showed and their SKU #s.

Hmmmmm What to write?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:05 AM

Liked: 12
I just hope walmart sell the a2 in ALL of their stores. I live like 5 minutes from walmart . In my local walmart they sell blueray dvds and the sony model ,and they do sell hd dvds but not the player.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

As for the price go, there's something else, SOMETHING VERY INTERESTING TO DO WITH PRICING, and I am not sure if I can discuss that w/ anyone which is why I blacked it out on both pictures. Just for safety reason, I just made sure the $198 showed and their SKU #s.

Let me guess, get a movie for $1. Out the door with player and movie for under 2 bills.

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

Old 10-24-2007, 09:09 AM

I would love to see the Toshiba available in Canadian Wal-marts. I've been wracking my head looking for a great deal for a standalone.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

While I love a good rumor or inside information, at this point you are wise not to divulge something that could be detrimental to HD DVD (or your job).

I look back to when 3rd generation models were leaked too early and standalone HD DVD players took a sales hit for a good month.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed View Post

I would love to see the Toshiba available in Canadian Wal-marts. I've been wracking my head looking for a great deal for a standalone.

In Calgary watch Soundsaround and Visions. I got an A20 for $244 during their "Madness Sale"
Old 10-24-2007, 09:20 AM

Ours still has the 3 A3's they put out a little while ago...no hi-def kiosk, no major hi-def DVD signage at any of the stores...

Although one thing changed since last week...all the hi-def DVD's have HUGE security badges strapped to them..you can't even see 1/2 of the front cover art.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats because its 02226500023. Don't put 6 in the end

Sorry, the 6 is required to have a valid UPC code. Toshiba uses a 12 digit UPC code and 6 is the correct check digit for the partial code listed. The code I have posted is correct and I have confirmed that it was issued by Toshiba Consumer Products USA.

The photos you have shown only contain 10 digits for the UPC#. The first and last digits are omitted. The first digit is the first digit of the GS1 ID number assigned to Toshiba Consumer Products USA (each Toshiba division has a different ID number). In this case it is a 0. The last digit is a check digit used to check that the rest of the barcode is valid. The correct check digits are 1 and 6. Thus I took your partial 10 digit barcodes and corrected them to be the full 12 digit barcode you would find on the package. Then I looked them up in the GS1 database, which revealed an A2, and an undescribed item.

I am reminded of last year with Wal-Mart and the Gameboy micro. I waited in line and bought one. However, when I went to check out, it came up full price and not the discounted Black Friday price. Naturally I complained and they called electronics. Apparently the electronics employee who got the micro for me, got one from the regular case and not from the Black Friday stash. The two items, even though packaged identically, had two different barcodes. One barcode was for the BF model, and the other for the model they were normally selling.

When BF was over, they still had BF micros left. They just upped the price in the system so that both barcodes had the same price, and they mixed all their BF stock with standard stock.

Could very well be the same thing here. A standard price A2 (the barcode with the description) and a BF special A2, with a new barcode. The special could be free movies, cheaper price, a combination, etc.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:28 AM
D-X

Thank you Mohamien. An associate who know how to work a Telzon.

I dont know why I didnt think about taking a pic of the screenfor the naysayers.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried 6 Walmarts around me....none had this deal....but I'm glad they didn't.
Cause I was reading here and learning about the new A3 (next generation) and saw Value Electronics has it for $40 more delivered, and 7 HD-DVDs.

Ordered

"Welcome To The Thunder Deck" our $6k theater/media room, 100% DIY

There are 2 types of people in this world - home theater enthusiasts and idiots
Old 10-24-2007, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry, the 6 is required to have a valid UPC code. Toshiba uses a 12 digit UPC code and 6 is the correct check digit for the partial code listed. The code I have posted is correct and I have confirmed that it was issued by Toshiba Consumer Products USA.

Hmm that's interesting because if you see the screen shots and look the top long numbers, that's what pulls up in our system....

But there is something very weird about those sku's like I said earlier on a post, I can't discuss it here or not sure if I can discuss at all. But I'll just let them come out and see if one of them will eventually dissapear out the system.

But believe me guys, I'd love to say it if I could But just be glad, the players will sell for $198.

Hmmmmm What to write?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm that's interesting because if you see the screen shots and look the top long numbers, that's what pulls up in our system....

But there is something very weird about those sku's like I said earlier on a post, I can't discuss it here or not sure if I can discuss at all. But I'll just let them come out and see if one of them will eventually dissapear out the system.

But believe me guys, I'd love to say it if I could But just be glad, the players will sell for $198.

I believe you system only uses the inside 10 digits and not the full 12 digits. This is actually quite common in older barcode systems. My guess is Wal-Mart started this way a long time ago, and it is just to much hassle/expense to update it across every system.

Programs like DVD Profiler used to be coded to only use the inside 10 digits too, but have since switched to using the full 12 digits. But barcodes for retail sale will be 8 or 12 digits. Your photo provided a 10 digit number for UPC#, which is not a valid UPC#.

If you look up the UPC# 5200001248 in your database, you will get that it is a can of Beenee Weenee's. The actualy barcode on the product is 052000012484.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma George View Post

I tried 6 Walmarts around me....none had this deal....but I'm glad they didn't.
Cause I was reading here and learning about the new A3 (next generation) and saw Value Electronics has it for $40 more delivered, and 7 HD-DVDs.

Ordered

BTW, my local BB will match that price. Except for the HDMI cable because they have expensive cables. But what they did instead was, they gave me the more expensive HD DVD's. (you'll notice that **************** have only the cheaper non-combo or older hd dvd's as a choise from them) But that cannot be matched with TV seasons or multi hd dvd packs.
haha

Hmmmmm What to write?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I believe you system only uses the inside 10 digits and not the full 12 digits. This is actually quite common in older barcode systems. My guess is Wal-Mart started this way a long time ago, and it is just to much hassle/expense to update it across every system.

Programs like DVD Profiler used to be coded to only use the inside 10 digits too, but have since switched to using the full 12 digits. But barcodes for retail sale will be 8 or 12 digits. Your photo provided a 10 digit number for UPC#, which is not a valid UPC#.

Actually, these are the two SKU's I first got from another website: 564786 & 570634 (notice how short they are??) and once I put them in as ITEM # the sku #s just automatically came up.

Hmmmmm What to write?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 AM
D-X

Quote:

Actually, these are the two SKU's I first got from another website: 564786 & 570634 (notice how short they are??) and once I put them in as ITEM # the sku #s just automatically came up.

Yeah, I posted the item numbers in the other thread over a week ago.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-X View Post

Yeah, I posted the item numbers in the other thread over a week ago.

ohh ok thanks man! I wasn't sure if I got them from here or highdefforum.com

u also work at walmart??

Hmmmmm What to write?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:11 AM

Found something amusing on Walmart's website...

Go to their site....do a search (entire site) for "hd-dvd" or "hd dvd"....take a look at what the first item is that pops up as a match.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is just terrific.

Sony BDP-S300 Blu-Ray Disc Player w/ 7 Free Movies
The crystalline clarity of 1080p Blu-ray Disc movies and DVD upscaling brings your DVDs to the highest possible quality — your favorite films have never looked or sounded so good!
Model #: BDP-S300

I wonder how much this cost Sony? Geez!

Good catch, Gordon. Thanks for the heads up on this one. Can this format catch a break?

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
Old 10-24-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

This is just terrific.

Sony BDP-S300 Blu-Ray Disc Player w/ 7 Free Movies
The crystalline clarity of 1080p Blu-ray Disc movies and DVD upscaling brings your DVDs to the highest possible quality your favorite films have never looked or sounded so good!
Model #: BDP-S300

I wonder how much this cost Sony? Geez!

Good catch, Gordon. Thanks for the heads up on this one. Can this format catch a break?

haha don't worry my friend....give it a few weeks and check back on it. Soon as HD DVD players are selling at the store, there'll be a difference. Believe me, not that many people buy online compared to at the stores. Also, if someone's looking for "HD DVD" they will look passed the blu-ray and go straight to HD DVD player.

Hmmmmm What to write?