** NEW HD-DVD OWNERS - WELCOME TO HD and AVS! ** - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 64
With all of the new players being sold, and the close to 900 viewing this HD DVD player forum, its just a matter of time before people will be looking for answers and assistance from AVS.

Newbies with questions we've seen hundreds of times will be needing our help.

Patience, correct info, will go a long way in educating others.

I say lets show them that AVS is still the best place on the Net for A/V info!

For a DETAILED look at HD DVD audio, setup, etc, have a look here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=957051

From member Batpig we have the following info:

QUESTION:
What's this I hear about 5 FREE MOVIES with my HD-DVD player?

ANSWER:
All new HD-DVD players are eligible for 5 free movies via mail-in-rebate from Toshiba. Information and the form can be found by clicking on "The Perfect HD-DVD Offer" link at: http://thelookandsoundofperfect.com/

QUESTION:
Where can I find the user manuals for HD-DVD players?

ANSWER:
Go to http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/hddvd/ and click on the "SUPPORT" tab at the tab of the page to access user manuals and other information. THIRD GEN (A3/30/35) MANUALS ARE NOT YET AVAILABLE ONLINE.

Direct Links:
HD-A1 manual: http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu...uals/hddvd.asp
HD-XA1 manual: http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu...uals/hddvd.asp
HD-A2 manual: http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu...uals/hddvd.asp
HD-A20 manual: http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu...uals/hddvd.asp
HD-XA2 manual: http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu...uals/hddvd.asp

QUESTION:
I will be connecting my HD-DVD player to my receiver via Optical (or Digital Coaxial) -- what audio will I get?

ANSWER:
It depends on what model of HD-DVD player you own. Multichannel hi-resolution audio formats cannot be transmitted over SPDIF (optical or coax), so your player will automatically decode the audio and then re-encode it into either DTS or Dolby Digital for transmission.

Your user manual has a chart titled "Output sound conversion table" (found on Page 60 in most manuals) which gives a precise breakdown of the audio outputs.

NOTE: To output multichannel audio over SPDIF, you must set the "DIGITAL OUT SPDIF" setting in the Audio Setup Menu to "BITSTREAM." Setting this to "PCM" will provide you with only 2-channel audio over SPDIF.

Summary of output over SPDIF:

1. If a DTS-HD or DTS MASTER AUDIO track is selected, all players will output the 1.5mpbs DTS "core" soundtrack.

2. If a DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS or DOLBY TRUE HD soundtrack is selected, the following players will transcode and ouput the audio as 1.5mbps DTS: A1 / XA1 / A2

(NOTE: If you have one of these three models, you must have a receiver which will decode DTS soundtracks. Certain older receivers, especially older Sony ES receivers, claim DTS support but do not correctly handle the full bandwidth 1.5mbps DTS stream. If soundtracks sound garbled or "underwater", your receiver cannot handle the DTS properly.)

3. If a DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS or DOLBY TRUE HD soundtrack is selected, the following players will transcode and ouput the audio as 640kbps DOLBY DIGITAL: A20 / XA2 / A3 / A30 / A35

QUESTION:
I just bought an HD-A2 one one of these great deals but my receiver doesn't have HDMI and doesn't decode DTS (i.e. Dolby Digital only). What's my best option for audio?

ANSWER:
Unfortunately, the only way to get multichannel sound over an optical connection from the HD-A2 is via a transcoded DTS 5.1 signal. If your receiver either doesn't decode DTS or has trouble with the full 1.5mbps DTS stream, you have three options:

1. Get a newer receiver that can handle the DTS
2. Grab a different model (i.e. A3 or A20) that ouputs 5.1 Dolby Digital
3. Set the HD-A2 to output "PCM" over optical SPDIF (in the Setup menu of the player). This will give you a very high quality 2-channel PCM stream over optical, and you can use Dolby Pro-Logic decoding to create surround sound. (Note: Make sure to set the "HDMI AUDIO OUT" to "Downmixed PCM" as well, as the two audio settings can affect each other).

QUESTION:
I only have a 2-channel (or 2.1) audio set-up? Will I still benefit from the improved audio on HD-DVD's?

ANSWER:
YES. Go to the HD-DVD's setup menu, set the SPDIF Audio Out setting to "PCM", set the HDMI Audio Out setting to "Downmixed PCM". The HD-DVD player will now output a hi-resolution 2-channel downmix of the DD+/TrueHD soundtrack on HD-DVD's over optical connection.

QUESTION:
How can I get this new hi-quality multichannel "lossless" sound from my HD-DVD's?

ANSWER:
There are only three ways to get hi-resolution multichannel sound (i.e. Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-HD or MA) from an HD-DVD player:

1. If you have an HDMI capable receiver that can handle multi-channel PCM audio over HDMI, the HD-DVD player can decode the audio and send it as multi-channel PCM over HDMI.

2. If you have an HD-A35 player and a HDMI 1.3 capable receiver that can decode the new formats internally, you can send the raw bitstream audio ouput to the receiver for decoding/processing. As of now, every single HD-DVD player besides the A35 has to decode the new sound formats internally, and output PCM to the receiver as with point #1 above. The XA2 is rumored to be adding this capability with a future firmware update.

3. If you have an HD-DVD player with multichannel analog output -- A1 / XA1 / XA2 / A35 -- and a receiver with multichannel analog inputs, you can have the player decode the sound internally and output the sound to your receiver. (PLEASE NOTE that most receivers will not allow ANY processing on the multichannel analog inputs, which means you must set up bass management, speaker levels, and speaker distances in the HD-DVD player!)

SEE THIS THREAD FOR MORE INFO ON HDMI AUDIO AND YOUR RECEIVER:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789994

And from member turbe, we have this info:

HELPFUL LINKS (I will continue to update):

FIRMWARE
USA: http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...d2firmware.asp
Canada: http://209.167.114.38/support/ceg/downloads/#

MANUAL
HD-A2 manual: http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse.../HD-A2KU_E.pdf

REBATE FORM
http://thelookandsoundofperfect.com/...ption_form.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

With all of the new players being sold, and the close to 900 viewing this HD DVD player forum, its just a matter of time before people will be looking for answers and assistance from AVS.

Newbies with questions we've seen hundreds of times will be needing our help.

Patience, correct info, will go a long way in educating others.

I say lets show them that AVS is still the best place on the Net for A/V info!

I am willing to help people as much as I can! Anything I can do to make HD-DVD a success I am trying to do everything in my power to not let Blu-ray win!
post #3 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I agree, just checked out some deal sites and there are over 400,000 views on the A2 deal. If that is any indication of sales I think we will have alot of new HD DVD members that will need our knowledge.

"Guns at dawn, swords at dusk."

post #4 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Customgamer1 View Post

I am willing to help people as much as I can! Anything I can do to make HD-DVD a success I am trying to do everything in my power to not let Blu-ray win!

well i hope somebody can help me i bought the hd player this morning at wm already have the xbox 360 addon player but figured for that price why not get one for the bedroom.do i need to update my player? if i do how hard is it to do that i can not burn a disc i would need too hook my player up to my modem and do i have to leave the player hooked up to the modem all the time i do not care about internet features just want to hook up for the update.THANK YOU VERY MUCH
post #5 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Welcome to the fold, HD DVD rookies!

---

Some A2 firmware info here and here.
post #6 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Let's hope they ask the questions in the right section. Otherwise, we may have some new members getting the 3rd degree who will never come back because some blubot scorned them for making a purchase and threatened to kidnap one child for every HD-DVD movie the new customer bought.

forum tennis, look right.........................................forum tennis, look left
post #7 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:19 AM

Thanks for posting up this thread. People tend to forget these things and it can turn off a new user in a hurry. BTW, I joined the battle this morning but I'm still a little purple. If I could buy a Blu Ray for this price I'd be in both camps.
post #8 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3569 Post(s)
Liked: 3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigbat View Post

Thanks for posting up this thread. People tend to forget these things and it can turn off a new user in a hurry.

This forum DESPERATELY needs a sticky FAQ thread, which gives a clear list of model numbers, the differences in features between them, hook-ups, settings, and how to set up the audio on the different models. As a relative noob, it would be so much easier if someone could just point me to a single FAQ thread at the top of the page which would answer 99% of the questions.

Nobody wants to dig through each of the 3,000-5,000 post model-specific owners threads to figure this stuff out.

But I will do my part as a now-educated post-noob to help the next wave.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I already been bashed in the blu ray forum for buying the A2 for family and friends....
post #10 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will assist any new user. Try not to point the noobs to links reply back with a straight answer.
post #11 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

This forum DESPERATELY needs a sticky FAQ thread, which gives a clear list of model numbers, the differences in features between them, hook-ups, settings, and how to set up the audio on the different models. As a relative noob, it would be so much easier if someone could just point me to a single FAQ thread at the top of the page which would answer 99% of the questions.

Nobody wants to dig through each of the 3,000-5,000 post model-specific owners threads to figure this stuff out.

But I will do my part as a now-educated post-noob to help the next wave.

Great idea!!! Now to find someone willing to step up and take this on.
post #12 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

WOW! there are almost 1000 people viewing HD DVD Players forum.

Maybe that's not big number for AVS, but it seems big to me.
post #13 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
We welcome you with open arms!

post #14 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

WOW! there are almost 1000 people viewing HD DVD Players forum.

Maybe that's not big number for AVS, but it seems big to me.

Wow,it's usually around 180 at any given time.
As for the rookies I say welcome and I just ask one thing...please don't ask "will my HD DVD player look good on a SDTV?".
Also please read the Master Firmware Burning thread how to update your player.

Happy viewing.....
post #15 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Long time listener, first time caller. Oops! That's not right. I have been on the forums for long time and bought my HD set through an AVS power buy. I did pick up my first HD-DVD player this morning, thanks to this forum. I am RED and proud of it!

"There's gotta be some way to hook it up, it's the freakin' future" - Eric Cartman
post #16 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISMO1 View Post

well i hope somebody can help me i bought the hd player this morning at wm already have the xbox 360 addon player but figured for that price why not get one for the bedroom.do i need to update my player? if i do how hard is it to do that i can not burn a disc i would need too hook my player up to my modem and do i have to leave the player hooked up to the modem all the time i do not care about internet features just want to hook up for the update.THANK YOU VERY MUCH

i found some info about updates but do i need to always keep my player connected to my modem?i just wanted to hook to the modem to do updates.i do not care about web extra features.THANK YOU
post #17 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 2273
nice idea:

hope you don't mind I added 'welcome' to thread title

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
post #18 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:43 AM

I'm more than willing to help anyone with this. I suggest making videos and making a nice thread and making it a sticky. We can always shoot 20-30 sec videos of the features that HD DVD uses, like updating the sytem, hooking it up to the network and using other features from disks. That'd be pretty cool imo.

Hmmmmm What to write?
post #19 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 17
..welcome aboard.
post #20 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Patience.

Restraint.

Do not assume someone asking a potentially inflammatory question is a troll.

Do not feed the trolls (or smurfs).

Not sure I qualify as an AVS vet just yet, but I'm mostly posting this as a reminder to myself.
post #21 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohaimenK View Post

I'm more than willing to help anyone with this. I suggest making videos and making a nice thread and making it a sticky. We can always shoot 20-30 sec videos of the features that HD DVD uses, like updating the sytem, hooking it up to the network and using other features from disks. That'd be pretty cool imo.

that would be SWEET that would help alot of us.
post #22 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Group hug?

Purple
post #23 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

i found some info about updates but do i need to always keep my player connected to my modem?i just wanted to hook to the modem to do updates.i do not care about web extra features.THANK YOU

You dont need to keep your player permanently connected to your modem, a disc with web features will still work if there is no internet connection. As for doing the actual update, make sure DNS and DHCP are set to on in the players ethernet menu and also make sure there is no disc in the player when you update.
post #24 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohaimenK View Post

That's a great idea! Youtube so they can see how its done like updating the fw via ethernet, etc..
post #25 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:47 AM

They should set it up where any new members MUST first complete a search before being able to make there 1st post. That would be so nice.
post #26 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:48 AM

<----- Rookie

Just bought my first projector a few months ago (Mitsu HD1000U). Just bought my first HD DVD player at Walmart this morning (well 2 of them actually).
post #27 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxrd55 View Post

They should set it up where any new members MUST first complete a search before being able to make there 1st post. That would be so nice.

or help them: post a link to where they can find the info

It would be so nice to welcome and help new members instead of the usual ...stuff...that goes on in the HDM forums

Thanks again

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
post #28 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

You don't have to keep your player connected all the time. You only need it connected when you want to update your firmware or enable the web features on your discs.
post #29 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

post #30 of 370 Old 11-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

I suggest some one author an A2 FAQ that can be made into a sticky so we dont get the same questions over and over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page