Returning opened HD A3 to best buy. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 11-10-2007, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I decided im just going to wait on the format to mature a little bit more. I keep getting a disc unplayable error no matter what movie i watch. My question is, how will best buy take a return of this with the 3 free in store movies. They're opened, but the upc is still on the toshiba box, and they have no other a3s in stock. Can i get money back if i return everything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-10-2007, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Try another bestBuy store. My local BB just got a boatload of A3's in stock. You just got a defective player. It happens with all types of CE devices. Heck last week I had to return a new Pioneer 94TXH because it had HDMI issues and that's a $1600 piece not a $200 player.
post #3 of 26 Old 11-10-2007, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

The whole area is out of A3's 60 mile radius. Plus, i dont want it anymore, just want my money back and wait for the format to mature.
post #4 of 26 Old 11-10-2007, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage...42&id=cat12098

Looks like a credit only for the movies since opened.
post #5 of 26 Old 11-10-2007, 10:47 PM

what movies are you trying to return,you could try selling them on avs or ebay
post #6 of 26 Old 11-10-2007, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchino View Post

Plus, i dont want it anymore, just want my money back and wait for the format to mature.

The format is not mature because you got a defective player? There has never been, nor will there ever be in all likelihood, a piece of CE that is 'mature' enough to enjoy a 0% failure rate.

I don't see how the two even correlate with one another?
post #7 of 26 Old 11-10-2007, 10:51 PM

you can't return the three free movies, this is what will happen the price you paid for the player minus the value of the movies will equal your money back. But like other said, you can try to sell the movies so you can recoup some of your money back. Good Luck!!

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Owner
post #8 of 26 Old 11-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O View Post

The format is not mature because you got a defective player? There has never been, nor will there ever be in all likelihood, a piece of CE that is 'mature' enough to enjoy a 0% failure rate.

I don't see how the two even correlate with one another?

Its very apparent he doesn't want the player so he will make any comments to sway himself into taking it back.
post #9 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

I'm sure the OP can live with a glitch every now and again, some level of failure can be accepted in CE, but I'm also certain that the rate at which he is experiencing his issues make it unacceptable. To him. There's no reason he should live with something he's not happy with because someone else tells him he's wrong.

Since the movies are opened not sure how they'll go with them, either store credit or you could just sell them on Ebay. Them being opened is what's going to sway BB one way or the other.

PSN: VinnAY-DBC
post #10 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 05:12 AM

Why start a thread to let us know the format is not "mature"? I bought a dishwasher and it leaked the first time it was used. It had to be serviced. Are dishwashers not a mature technology? Should I be washing by hand?
post #11 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
OK, back off from the OP's comments everyone. Geez, he/she bought a brand new toy, and it doesn't work out of the box. That can be frustrating and seem like the overall technology is not ready for the masses. Especially when almost any other electronic gadget does work 99.999% of the time right out of the box.

To the OP:

Although the policy is not to accept opened media, it is pretty clear the the media is useless with a faulty player, and if they cannot offer a replacement player, then they should take it all back.

Since you can probably prove very easily that the player does not function, take the whole thing back. They should honor the return completely or offer to get a replacement shipped in ASAP. Or maybe they'll offer an upgraded model as the replacement (A30??).

But, it really depends on the mood of the manager...

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #12 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for those who responded. I was in no way trying to bash your format of choice. For ME its not worth keeping just yet, especally when every movie ive watched has errored out on me with no rhyme or reason. Not to mention from the numerous threads I'm not the only one.
post #13 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for those who responded. I was in no way trying to bash your format of choice. For ME its not worth keeping just yet, especally when every movie ive watched has errored out on me with no rhyme or reason. Not to mention from the numerous threads I'm not the only one.

Right. To the mods please shut this down it's the kind of nonsense and trolling that's not wanted on this board.
post #14 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
sounds like someone needs to update the firmware...I bought mine 2sday and still haven't opened it...just my my Panasonic plasma so today's the day!woohoo!
post #15 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would rather give someone the benefit of the doubt in these instances then shake the troll card.

To the OP assuming you are not a troll.

This is AVS. People come here when they have problems with their HT equipment. I first came here to research HDTV's. and at first glance it seemed every single model had severe issues. Because every owners thread was chock full of people having geometry issues, green blobs, handshake issues, collapsed light tunnels. It was scary. But in reality all of these products were just as reliable as any other electronic device. You will always see an extreme over representation of issues here for any product. Truth be told if the problem to product ratio was as high as it seemed on AVS- there would be a massive recall.

I'm not going to try to talk you into keeping something you don't want. Just make sure you are properly informed is all. It has much less to do with the format or your model of player in particular and more to do with "sh*t happens" when you buy advanced electronics. It's a reality you should try to become more comfortable with if you plan to buy more in the future. and it's certainly a reality you have to keep in mind when reading AVS.

and I think a lot of people here have a very even temper with advanced electronics. So they see your eagerness to "give up" without even trying to exchange the unit as a possible symptom of a "troll".
post #16 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I decided im just going to wait on the format to mature a little bit more. I keep getting a disc unplayable error no matter what movie i watch. My question is, how will best buy take a return of this with the 3 free in store movies. They're opened, but the upc is still on the toshiba box, and they have no other a3s in stock. Can i get money back if i return everything?

I don't think they'll take them back if opened ... but I am curious: Did you upgrade the firmware on the player? What version of firmware are you running?
post #17 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post

Right. To the mods please shut this down it's the kind of nonsense and trolling that's not wanted on this board.

Don't be so quick to pull out the troll card. I don't get that vibe from him. There is no reason not to believe him at this point.

post #18 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:

I believe you're misunderstanding the responses.

I'm certain everyone here agrees 100% that having a player that errors out is terrible and isn't shouldn't you should live with. This isn't a format problem though. These players are mature and generally don't error out.

Yes, you should bring that player back to the store. But, you shouldn't flat out return it and go home. It's clearly a defective player; working players don't have errors "with no rhyme or reason". You should bring the player back and exchange it for a new one.

While you don't generally see it as a consumer, electronic devices do have a low out-of-box failure rate that may eventually bite you someday. Back in college when I worked as a technican at Best Buy part-time, we would receive several products a day that were exchange due to being defective out of the box. It happens. Hence why there are store return policies and manufacture warranties.

I have never once had an error, skipping, or any other problem with my A2 since I purchased it used many months ago. Are there "numerous other threads" mentioning problems? Sure. But remember that the AVSForum is a poor statistical population. Everyone will post a thread if they have a problem or issues, but few will post a thread saying "Yep, my player works great!". Go into any forum section on this website; you'll see a negative post about almost every device imaginable -- even the cream of the crop.

To answer you original question. Best Buy will gladly take the player back and/or exchange it. Opened discs will only be exchanged for the same movie, to once again deal with the occasional defective movie that slips through. The movies that came inside the box should count as original packaging contents -- like the remote and manual -- and so getting full price on the player itself should work. Worst case, they'll doc the price of the "free" discs deal off the returned price. Honestly though, that's a bit shady and talking to a manager since the discs were technically "free" should clear that up. Calling the corporate customer service hotline (just ask for it) while in the store if that doesn't work is your next best thing. Again, though, you really should consider exchanging. Even though your Best Buy is out-of-stock, you might be able to work out a purchase from bestbuy.com while you're in the store. Talk to someone and see what they can do.
post #19 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I decided im just going to wait on the format to mature a little bit more. I keep getting a disc unplayable error no matter what movie i watch.

What movies have you tried to watch? HD DVD? SD DVD? Some of the recent HD DVD releases require that the firmware be at the most recent revision to work properly - this is covered in the manual and in a sheet of instructions that comes in the box.

This is true for both HD formats, and was true with DVD, as well. If you're waiting for the format to 'mature' beyond this point, you may be in for a long wait......
post #20 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

To everyone trying to get the OP to keep the player or exchange. Why? Do you all work for Toshiba or get a free movies for each consumer you "save"? The OP clearly indicates he wants to return it.

To the OP:
Return everything to BB. There are two possibilities.
1) They accept everything (including the free movies). They shouldn't but lots of times they will. You get 100% of the price you paid back.

2) They accept the player but not the movies. At this point it would likely be better to exchange. This is what they will do (assuming player sold for $200 and had 3 free movies and retail price of movies was $25 ea): $200 - $25x3 = $125. You get $125 back and keep the 3 movies. You can now ebay them or sell them on amazon but likely in open condition you will get $10-$15 tops minus time spent.
post #21 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 04:52 PM

I returned an A3 back to BB for full credit and got the opened movie back for free as the customer service guy told me that they can not take the movie back if it already opened.
post #22 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update. I did return the A3 today, and they refunded my amount in full. Took the 3 free opened movies back also. Which i was more then fine with. I do apoligzie for any contreversy this thread has caused, it was not my original intent, I just wanted advice from someone else that might have done the same thing, so i would know what to expect when i went into the store today. Maybe i just did have a bum unit, but it was very frustrating watching a movie then half way through, or at the end getting an error code.
post #23 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince2909 View Post

I'm sure the OP can live with a glitch every now and again, some level of failure can be accepted in CE, but I'm also certain that the rate at which he is experiencing his issues make it unacceptable. To him. There's no reason he should live with something he's not happy with because someone else tells him he's wrong.

Since the movies are opened not sure how they'll go with them, either store credit or you could just sell them on Ebay. Them being opened is what's going to sway BB one way or the other.

No one suggested that he should live with it. I think the suggestion is that he try to exchange it. It's a defective player...not a defective format. His original post seems to suggest that the "format" is defective.

If he came on here and said "I have a bad player, and I'd like to return it", that would have been one thing. Instead, he said "The HDDVD format is not mature, and I'd like to return my player". Hence these responses.
post #24 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 06:58 PM

I don't understand people who completely give up without trying to see if a replacement unit rectifies the issues they were having. Totally mind-boggling.

To each his own I guess.
post #25 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I do apoligzie for any controversy this thread has caused, it was not my original intent,

Don't worry mxchino. Ever since these new fangled Hd-DVd and bluray players came out alot of people have become paranoid little children. Some people here actually WANT to help people when they have questions so keep posting!

It's all about the sound!
post #26 of 26 Old 11-11-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstar79 View Post

Don't worry mxchino. Ever since these new fangled Hd-DVd and bluray players came out alot of people have become paranoid little children. Some people here actually WANT to help people when they have questions so keep posting!

+1

Sorry you got pounced on OP....hope ya find a new gadget you like...
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page