I do NOT get the error with the player at 1080i 97 45.12%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 77 Old 04-26-2011, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Was perusing the "Just watched -- on HD-DVD and WOW!" thread and saw a few mentions of defective discs, including Forbidden Planet which someone checked on multiple players (my copy of that is fine.) Wonder if a master defective discs list should be compiled? (Got my Canadian "Philosopher's Stone" disc today and watched all of it, no problems. Should be getting a new "Chamber of Secrets" this week.) Will have to watch "Eastern Promises" soon as my friend says that's been the worst HD-DVD he ever saw in terms of freezing up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 04-29-2011, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
my copy of "Eagles farewell tour" also started having this error once you start to play program. But if you got to menu and jump to track 15 and above, it plays fine but track 15 and below are unplayable now. Anyone face the same issue?
post #63 of 77 Old 05-01-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Where's the "I get it at 1080p" option? I get this on a handful of discs, all of which have some kind of residue on them. Usually scrubbing them with a damp cloth or just reloading and hitting play again seems to work.
post #64 of 77 Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 569
I've had this happen with a few discs over time that did not respond to cleaning. Recently I purchased "The Best of HD DVD, Volume Three (Blazing Saddles / The Departed / GoodFellas / Superman - The Movie)" and both "Blazing Saddles" and "Superman" had multiple errors with playback. I returned the set to Amazon without trying the other two. That's a good thing about purchasing from Amazon; they take them back without question and pay for shipping.

I have had the experience with "Mutiny on The Bounty" where 3 different discs had playback errors, all purchased from the same vendor. Sent them all back to Amazon and ordered the 4th from another Amazon vendor and this one plays without a problem.

I have had discs that played on my XBox 360 add-on without errors that did display error code: 408bc504 on my HD-A2.

I have a theory that some of these are production-run specific and apparently aren't a problem for all players. I ran across some reviews on "The Best Of HD DVD" sets and many reviews indicated problems with this error code amongst these sets. I decided I wasn't going to bother trying any more of these sets.

BTW, both my add-on and HD-A2 are @ 1080i.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #65 of 77 Old 05-02-2011, 03:43 PM

Looks like a lot of Warner-manufactured HD-DVDs were faulty- I've now gone through THREE copies of "Chamber of Secrets" that freeze up at different points! Will have to watch more of my Warner discs soon while it's still relatively easy to find replacement copies if I need them.

Don't have the Eagles disc but the problem described sounds like one of the two layers has gone bad.
post #66 of 77 Old 05-03-2011, 04:44 AM

WOW- I just checked my "Superman" disc and it's defective too! Checked "Blazing Saddles" and that seems to be fine- it seems like if you chapter-skip through a defective disc, it will get stuck on the chapter where the defect is. The time counter will keep going, but it will display a still frame of where it got stuck. I randomly pulled out "The Fugitive" and THAT'S bad too! Didn't think to check Mutiny on the Bounty, will have to do that tomorrow when I have time. Guess I'm going to have to check ALL my HD-DVDs, at least all the dual-layer ones made by Warner, while there's still a good chance of finding replacement copies if I need them!

Have to say that's pretty pathetic that such a large number of discs are defective. Some of these I might not have played until decades later and then found out they were bad!
post #67 of 77 Old 05-04-2011, 04:48 AM

Checked Mutiny on the Bounty tonight and that seemed fine, but found 2 more bad ones- Training Day and Swordfish. I'll be checking at least 5 discs a day til I've gone through them all.
post #68 of 77 Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Checked Mutiny on the Bounty tonight and that seemed fine, but found 2 more bad ones- Training Day and Swordfish. I'll be checking at least 5 discs a day til I've gone through them all.

8traxrule,

Which HD DVD player do you have?

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #69 of 77 Old 05-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

If you are having problems with that many titles where the disc surface looks pristine, I'd start suspecting the player or where/how you are storing your titles.
What model is your player and is the player firmware up to date? Is the player clean (ie. inside, no dust, etc.). Are the discs clean? 99% of the time when I've had a disc lock up or misbehave, cleaning the disc fixes it. HD-DVDs do seem to be much more finicky about any sort of dust or mark than DVDs or BDs.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #70 of 77 Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 PM

I currently have two good players- ironically a 3rd got bricked last week when I tried to upgrade the firmware to see if that would help these bad discs, but I just got another one off Ebay. It was an A2, the main player is an A30 and the other is an A3, both of those are on firmware 4.0 and the A30 is region-free. The first batch of bad ones were checked on 3 players, since the other one died I've only had two but certainly ONE of these should've played with no problems.

Latest casualty is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, which won't even load. Both players give the message onscreen "Disc is not DVD format", I didn't check what the front displays said.

Saw some comments here of bad discs as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Phanto...ref=pd_sim_d_1

(Checked my Unforgiven after reading that and it's OK.)
post #71 of 77 Old 05-12-2011, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule
WOW- I just checked my "Superman" disc and it's defective too! Checked "Blazing Saddles" and that seems to be fine- it seems like if you chapter-skip through a defective disc, it will get stuck on the chapter where the defect is. The time counter will keep going, but it will display a still frame of where it got stuck. I randomly pulled out "The Fugitive" and THAT'S bad too! Didn't think to check Mutiny on the Bounty, will have to do that tomorrow when I have time. Guess I'm going to have to check ALL my HD-DVDs, at least all the dual-layer ones made by Warner, while there's still a good chance of finding replacement copies if I need them!

Have to say that's pretty pathetic that such a large number of discs are defective. Some of these I might not have played until decades later and then found out they were bad!
Did you try restarting those discs? I was playing Serenity the other day on my hd-a30 and it froze the same way at one point. But I restarted the disc and skipped ahead to just before where it stuck and it played fine this time.
post #72 of 77 Old 05-14-2011, 05:19 AM

Yes, these problems have all been repeatable on my 4 players. Skipping straight to the bad spot still makes it get stuck (I 'bookmarked' it on a few titles) and letting it play from the beginning will freeze it up at the bad spot. Warner just REALLY screwed up manufacturing these (see my other thread under HD-DVD Software.)
post #73 of 77 Old 05-21-2011, 05:57 PM

i have an xa2 that freezes up at about the 1 hour mark on all discs regardless of studio-i guess you could say its an equal opportunity freezer.most times video freezes and audio does NOT and counter on front display keeps going.if i back up a little it will play through orig.freeze zone but do the same thing about 5 min.later.i did an exchange with toshiba a few years ago for the same problem with an xa2.in my case i feel its the machines problem since all the discs play well on my a35.
post #74 of 77 Old 01-17-2012, 12:02 PM

Just purchased Mutiny on the Bounty from an Amazon seller .. shrink wrapped with warnewrs sticker across the top of case .. unwrapped and played the next day .. FBI/ HDD commercial/ opening Overture and most of chapter one all play fine .. but Then it pixelates and freezes .. I did a number of massive tests including firmware ( 4.0) on my Toshiba A3 , checked others movie HDD discs , ., as well as inspecting and cleaning surface .. seems fine .., checked all extra menu features , they are fine .. then backtracked from chapters 22 down and discovered it 'acts up' in freezing at the chapter 17 mark therefore 2 to 17 don't work ..

I can't really blame the seller who sold me a shrink wrapped movie BUT I do blame Warner Bros for shoddy material . .I have about 40 HDD movies and this one plus Phantom of the Opera are defective .. Is there a toll free number or internet site to report and get replacements ..... ?
post #75 of 77 Old 01-17-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttodd0450 View Post

Just purchased Mutiny on the Bounty from an Amazon seller .. shrink wrapped with warnewrs sticker across the top of case .. unwrapped and played the next day .. FBI/ HDD commercial/ opening Overture and most of chapter one all play fine .. but Then it pixelates and freezes .. I did a number of massive tests including firmware ( 4.0) on my Toshiba A3 , checked others movie HDD discs , ., as well as inspecting and cleaning surface .. seems fine .., checked all extra menu features , they are fine .. then backtracked from chapters 22 down and discovered it 'acts up' in freezing at the chapter 17 mark therefore 2 to 17 don't work ..

I can't really blame the seller who sold me a shrink wrapped movie BUT I do blame Warner Bros for shoddy material . .I have about 40 HDD movies and this one plus Phantom of the Opera are defective .. Is there a toll free number or internet site to report and get replacements ..... ?

Nope. You won't find anyone who is willing to help. I have had a couple of my HD-DVD's have a sector or two that causes issues. Friday Night Lights and Matrix for starters. I think that HD-DVD was unusually finicky in the manufacturing process. I tried a couple of times for each disc to obtain help or replacements for the discs. I did get one response of "we no longer support or maintain items for that particular format". That was about it.

It is a bummer I know.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #76 of 77 Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttodd0450 View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21381744

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #77 of 77 Old 01-20-2012, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My XA2 has played all of my 110 discs with the exception of Disc.1 from Smallville Season 5 were I got the error message. Played Disc 2, so I'm attributing it to a bad disc.
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page