HD-DVD Player Special Deals: ALL pricing deals and locating talk goes here - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Costco now has D3 (same as A3) on it's website for $179.99 shipped. I assume a HDMI cable and 2 free movies are included in the box?

Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

The dvds make it worth the money because of the price per dvd paid. If you don't like them, you can trade/sell them for dvds that you do like.

Oh, I know they are. I am not going to try doing that. What I really thought was unique was how the whole package (A3 + 3 HD DVD's) cost $199.00 from Amazon, and when the A3 shipped without the DVD's yet, Amazon informed me that $144.10 was charged against my account.

So $199.00 - $144.10 = $54.90. Then $54.90 / 3 = $18.30. So I guess Amazon considers each of the three HD-DVD's to be $18.30 a piece.

Never Underestimate The Power Of Forums.
post #273 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
My A3 order was split the same way - $144.62 for the A3 w/300 & bourne. My three movies showed the standard price each + 10% discount + another discount to bring the total price down to $46.89. Amazon is playing some strange games with what they charge and what promo discounts apply to what parts of the order, but I don't care - the math came out right. I got two tracking notices - A3 and movies have shipped.
post #274 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlu View Post

Costco now has D3 (same as A3) on it's website for $179.99 shipped. I assume a HDMI cable and 2 free movies are included in the box?

Link

only with 5 dvds and not 10, so that may be worth it to some to pay less and worth it to others to get 5 more dvds for $20

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #275 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
You get 7, because 2 are included in the box. I bought mine there. It has an HDMI cable too. 6ft I think.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Pixar screenplay slideshows
!
post #276 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

only with 5 dvds and not 10, so that may be worth it to some to pay less and worth it to others to get 5 more dvds for $20

All Gen 3 players (including the Costco D3) currently include 2 movies in the box plus an mail-in offer for 5 more, that make it 7 total.

So comparing the Costco D3 deal against the Amazon A3 deal, you get a HDMI cable (not expensive, but can be convenient for some), pay $20 less, but don't get the 3 extra movies. Other considerations to keep in mind are: return policies and sales tax implications depending on what state you live in.

However you look at them, these are sweet deals to get started in HD.
post #277 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 03:42 PM

I am planning to get Costco's version due to the 3 months return policy. I will accept to miss the 3 good movies offered by Amazon against having a chance to return my unit after 3 months since I am planning to get the XA2 once the price goes down more than what Amazon is offering now.

I still have the A3 from amazon ready with the movies selection in my Amazon cart thgouh
post #278 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, I forgot about the 2 dvds in-box.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #279 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Well I broke down!

What a deal thanks AMAZON!

WS
post #280 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 05:09 PM

"As for Sears matching their own Black Friday prices, I just talked with the nearest Sears to me, and the guy said they have been told that NO Black Friday price will be matched, ESPECIALLY buying their own products before hand. So it may depend on local manager interpretation (or maybe even ignoring the rules). This 3 level, large mall based Sears had only THREE HD-A3 in stock from now until after BF!"

Sorry to hear that Misha. The Sears I went to here in Nebraska is a smaller "B" store not an "A" store. Certain managers are willing to bend the rules, so to speak, in order to satisfy the customer. I guess I got lucky. The salesperson and manager of the dept. both told me they would honor the deal simply because, I could just come in and return the item, and than rebuy it for the lower price. They're doing the honorable thing by saving me the trouble. Not only that, but being a smaller store, they'll take any business they can get. Thats my advantage I guess. It'll be interesting to see how many people go back to "Best Buy" this friday threatening to return there unopened A3's unless they receive the lower price. I'd bet money, alot of managers cave in to avoid a riot.
post #281 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 05:10 PM

The Amazon deal is just great! I ordered one last night for my Dad for a Christmas present. It cost me $4 more since I had Amazon wrap everything ($1 per item wrapped is a great deal too!). I had them ship it direct to his home 1000 miles away from me.

Everything shipped today and he will get on Wed. I wonder if he will be able to wait 1 month to open it.
post #282 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 05:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post

Amazon.com just e-mailed me that part of my order shipped (I ordered the A3 with the 3 Free HD-DVD's for $199.00, and the rebate for 5 more). The part that shipped was the A3 and the e-mail said I was billed $144.10 because only part of the order shipped (the DVD's haven't shipped yet).

Same here! I'm surprised it already shipped, as the estimated ship date was 11/26. It'll beat my Monoprice HDMI cable here!

After all this time waiting it out, this was too tempting.
post #283 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

bhphotovideo.com A3 $199

International Shipping
post #284 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 05:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leggy View Post

I am planning to get Costco's version due to the 3 months return policy. I will accept to miss the 3 good movies offered by Amazon against having a chance to return my unit after 3 months since I am planning to get the XA2 once the price goes down more than what Amazon is offering now.

I still have the A3 from amazon ready with the movies selection in my Amazon cart thgouh

Firstly: It's unbelievable BS to "rent" a piece of equipment from COSTCO. You and your cohorts-in-crime are why there is a three-month max return on some items at COSTCO. Jesus!
and B: there is no time limit for DVD, Blu-ray, or HD-DVD player return. However, if a bunch of folks like you do what you're planning, there probably will be

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #285 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I am planning to get Costco's version due to the 3 months return policy. I will accept to miss the 3 good movies offered by Amazon against having a chance to return my unit after 3 months

Have you no shame?

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #286 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

Firstly: It's unbelievable BS to "rent" a piece of equipment from COSTCO. You and your cohorts-in-crime are why there is a three-month max return on some items at COSTCO. Jesus!
and B: there is no time limit for DVD, Blu-ray, or HD-DVD player return. However, if a bunch of folks like you do what you're planning, there probably will be

I don't think it's fair for people to take advntage of a company that has such good policies for their customers, however Costco makes the rules, and as long as the customer abides within those rules, then any illwill that would result is on Costco. They are well aware of people taking advantage of the loopholes, and they must be ok with it or at least are willing to put up with it because they make enough money to offset those incidents.

My wife used to manage a store called Talbots (high end womens clothing).
They have a policy that if an item that you buy shows too much "wear and tear" (purely interpretational by the eyes of whome ever may be looking at it), that they will take it and give you your money back. Some people have had the "gall" to bring in clothing that is 7-10 years old and claim that it wore out too fast. They get their money back... no questions asked... the customer is always right.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #287 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:

I couldn't agree more. This really has to stop.

post #288 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 06:33 PM

To those who think that return to Cotsco should be stopped and because of those returns the policy reduced to 3 months. Well, if you have no intention to return the product at all, then why do you care if the policy is unlimited, 3 onths, or 2 weeks? Seems you are pissed because you can not return the product after a year and you are stuck with it. No?

Please do not forget that Costco has already calculated the cost of those returns and added to the price. Costco is gaining customers with such policy, you are paying extra (like my case) buying from Costco becasue of such policy. Costco is getting my business. I could save and buy from Amazon then Costco will gain nothing. I accepted to pay more to have such privilege.

However, I may or may not return what I bought (this could be the first item I ever return to Costco, if I decided to return it); therefore, Costco has made much more than it lost when getting my business.

We are not breaking the rules nor we are lieing. We are just enjoying the given rights. No one has forced Costco to implement such policy. They have done so for a reason, and we are proving them they are correct to implement such policy, is when we pay extra and buy from them.

Why we do not blame Costco when they sale the same item for the same price like BB or CC sale and offer such return policy? Can we tell Costco they are being unfair to offer such policy where no one else does? Of course not, Costco doing so to win our business and against winning our business we are being enjoyed with such policy, and we have the total right to enjoy it.
post #289 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Has anyone found any remaining A2's in any Sears stores within the last couple of days? If so, what price were they selling them for?
post #290 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:

To those who think that return to Cotsco should be stopped and because of those returns the policy reduced to 3 months. Well, if you have no intention to return the product at all, then why do you care if the policy is unlimited, 3 onths, or 2 weeks? Seems you are pissed because you can not return the product after a year and you are stuck with it. No?

Please do not forget that Costco has already calculated the cost of those returns and added to the price. Costco is gaining customers with such policy, you are paying extra (like my case) buying from Costco becasue of such policy. Costco is getting my business. I could save and buy from Amazon then Costco will gain nothing. I accepted to pay more to have such privilege.

However, I may or may not return what I bought (this could be the first item I ever return to Costco, if I decided to return it); therefore, Costco has made much more than it lost when getting my business.

We are not breaking the rules nor we are lieing. We are just enjoying the given rights. No one has forced Costco to implement such policy. They have done so for a reason, and we are proving them they are correct to implement such policy, is when we pay extra and buy from them.

Why we do not blame Costco when they sale the same item for the same price like BB or CC sale and offer such return policy? Can we tell Costco they are being unfair to offer such policy where no one else does? Of course not, Costco doing so to win our business and against winning our business we are being enjoyed with such policy, and we have the total right to enjoy it.

Hard to go through a day without a good rationalization. This attitude and abuse is the very reason that Costco went from an open return policy to a limited return policy on displays and projectors. If you want to rationalize your own morals, then go ahead, but in my book, making a purchase, knowing the limitations of a product, and accepting those limitations enough to make a purchase, then returning it to "upgrade" is theft. Just because you're taking advantage of "the system" doesn't make it any less than that.

Enjoy your BS morals.
post #291 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 08:15 PM

Location: Markham, ON, Canada - ever so slightly NW of Toronto
Just took the red pill.... Well okay,...I ordered the red pill. Amazon A3 $199 /10 titles deal, which with xchange will be slightly less than that. Have to wait a couple of weeks until I get a chance to get to Buffalo to pick it up at my friends place.

BTW, If you are ordering from Amazon from Canada, try not to ship it direct to Canada - the duties will kill the deal.

On a side note, "renting" at Costco does nothing but drive up the costs/price on all goods in the store. Why would you want to do that? I assume you shop there for more than the occasional HD player....
post #292 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Except that morally, ethically and legally every transaction, whether a commercial transaction or a personal agreement, has an implied obligation of good faith. No developed or civilized society can exist for any extended period of time without it.

There is a world of difference between buying a player and then 2 months later deciding to return it because you do not like it or even because you subsequently decide to get a different, newer model vs. buying a player with the intent to return it when another model's price comes down.

So, if you buy the player from Costco planning on returning 3 mos later, then you have breached that obligation. If any company could prove that is what you did, which your post would do, and if the company bothered to exert the effort to do so, then they could rightfully deny your return because you fraudulently entered into the transaction.

Hopefully you were just being glib, or still maturing.
post #293 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
for amazon, if you return dvds, you will pay for player $145 only?
post #294 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

Has anyone found any remaining A2's in any Sears stores within the last couple of days? If so, what price were they selling them for?

At my local Sears today they only had a demo A2. No box or remote control. They wanted $89 but I passed on it. I want to jump in, see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=941354 Still trying to read a lot of posts and figure out which unit would maximize my setup.
post #295 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 09:55 PM
KOA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Vision View Post

At my local Sears today they only had a demo A2. No box or remote control. They wanted $89 but I passed on it. I want to jump in, see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=941354 Still trying to read a lot of posts and figure out which unit would maximize my setup.

I got an used A2 at Sears the other day. It was in the box with all the paperwork, cables, and remote with batteries still wrapped. Not even a fingerprint on the unit, so maybe just a return. $98 less 10%.

Is there a way to tell how many hours are on a player???

BTW About Costco. I don't think they lose any money on returns. The supplier has to take items back and credit Costco. I buy a lot of stuff at Costco. Sometimes I buy it with the thought of taking the item back, but most times end up just keeping it. So I think Costco gets way more of my business than just about anyone else. If you look at their stock price long term I don't think their liberal return policy is hurting them.
post #296 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay65 View Post

The Amazon deal is just great! I ordered one last night for my Dad for a Christmas present. It cost me $4 more since I had Amazon wrap everything ($1 per item wrapped is a great deal too!). I had them ship it direct to his home 1000 miles away from me.

Everything shipped today and he will get on Wed. I wonder if he will be able to wait 1 month to open it.

Which movies did you choose for him?

"I was right in the middle of a freaking reptile zoo. And somebody was giving booze to these darn things! It won't be long before they tear us to shreds!"

-- Raoul Duke
post #297 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post

INot even a fingerprint on the unit, so maybe just a return. $98 less 10%.

Is there a way to tell how many hours are on a player???

Not to my knowledge... but I would just take a look at the back where the fan is... if it was a display unit which ran all-day, it will likely have a fair bit of dust.. if not then it was probably a return. Either way... thats one hell of a deal, if it works now you likely won't have any issues.
post #298 of 8408 Old 11-19-2007, 11:14 PM

Dijuno and av noob. When making purchase decision estimation for future should be set and I doubt that anyone would refuse to return his item when he finds better deal regardless if he has pre plan for it or found it accidentally. In both cases you are returning your item. Many people have this plan in their minds (buy something and when you find a better deal return your old item if you can and get the better one). I doubt if you both will refuse to go through this path one day.

Price matching is similar thing. People buy things and keep checking afterward just in case they found better deal so they ask for price match. And no, it is not a different thing, because once they keep checking that means they have the pre intention to get the better deal once they find it.
And the same goes for the pre intention that if one day you thought you would not like it then you can/will return it thus you already have that intention and utilizing it so you are making your purchase decision accordingly, otherwise why would you pay extra and buy from any dealer who offers long/good return policy?

So please curb the ethical values aside. The action is the same regardless of the intention.
post #299 of 8408 Old 11-20-2007, 04:49 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Anyone guess how long the Amazon deal will last?

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #300 of 8408 Old 11-20-2007, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Absolutely agree!!!

it's people like this guy that makes me want to throw up!!! Due to this ridiculous behavior, it is the regular population that gets hit with the consequences.

Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page