HD-DVD Player Special Deals: ALL pricing deals and locating talk goes here - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Amazon A3 now showing "in stock December 9," so you folks who bought them for gifts should be in good shape. Price still at $179 and Eyes Wide Shut has fallen off the list of free DVDs (= no sale for me).

As a point of clarification, I would like some further confirmation that those of us who received five free DVDs earlier this year are not eligible for the current offer. That is contrary to how most other rebates work. I can understand that the "rules" may prohibit me buying two players today and getting 10 free under the current offer, but I'm having a hard time accepting that bacause I bought an A20 in June I can't participate in the current offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have owned the A1 since August of 2006, and it has been a GREAT player!! I just upgrade my system to the XA-2 for $450 on Amazon. I thought this deal was too good to pass up. I can't wait to receive my player next Tuesday!!!
post #633 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJack View Post

Amazon A3 now showing "in stock December 9," so you folks who bought them for gifts should be in good shape. Price still at $179 and Eyes Wide Shut has fallen off the list of free DVDs (= no sale for me).

As a point of clarification, I would like some further confirmation that those of us who received five free DVDs earlier this year are not eligible for the current offer. That is contrary to how most other rebates work. I can understand that the "rules" may prohibit me buying two players today and getting 10 free under the current offer, but I'm having a hard time accepting that bacause I bought an A20 in June I can't participate in the current offer.

I am pretty sure you will still get the offer since it is a different order and you are purchasing a new player.
post #634 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 12:50 PM

Just bit the bullet on the A3 at Amazon (my first HD player)-the order totalled $179.99 with free super saver shipping. The player shows a 12/14 estimated ship date, with the 3 free discs shipping on 12/6.
post #635 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 12:55 PM

Picked up the A-3 from Sears with a price match of $149 against HH Gregg. I noticed 300 looks grainy on my 5271F with HDMI. Is that just the way it was produced? Bourne looks great.
post #636 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver10 View Post

I noticed 300 looks grainy on my 5271F with HDMI. Is that just the way it was produced? Bourne looks great.

Don't worry, it is based on Comics and it was made to look so.

HDM future 8K Television System ÂSuper Hi-vision is the TV technology of our dreams
post #637 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver10 View Post

Picked up the A-3 from Sears with a price match of $149 against HH Gregg. I noticed 300 looks grainy on my 5271F with HDMI. Is that just the way it was produced? Bourne looks great.

My status still states it will arrive AFTER Dec 25.... WTF??? I am hoping they will update the status on it. Doesn't seem right that people who ordered it after me and others would get it sooner!
post #638 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Life is not aways fair

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #639 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07 View Post

Life is not aways fair

Sure it is!!!!
post #640 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

my amazon follow up. purchased last week for $199 and the ten free movies. the player is aleady in my hands and movies on the way. noticed today, thanks to this thread, the price was dropped to $159 for a couple of hours. emailed amazon around 10am and got confirmation of $40 credit this afternoon. good stuff. later.
post #641 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlewis View Post

Well I got screwed......

So do you think I was an idiot for sharing my info about Costco on this thread? I'm thinking that that could very well be the reason they are out of stock!

Thanks for listening....

If it makes you feel any better...I got the $159 deal from costco without seeing your post.
post #642 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 01:26 PM

Liked: 44
Has anyone on this thread purchased an HD DVD player early this year . . . sent in and received the 3 free movies . . . then at a later date - bought another HD DVD player that qualified for 5 movies - sent in the rebate and received them . . .

And all the info is exactly the same; buyer, CC # and ship to address.

?
post #643 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thDanMaster View Post

Was this some online gift certificate?

No. It was a redeemable gift from my credit card.

2010 - In Jimbo I Trust. Go Noles!
2010 - If we had a real QB, the West is Ours. Go Niners!
post #644 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmel View Post

If it makes you feel any better...I got the $159 deal from costco without seeing your post.

Thanks! Believe it or not it does.
post #645 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

I'm assuming you've tested the same source on the same display with both units to make this comment?

Yep, I've had both this month. Look, the A3 is great but it's entry level... what do you expect?
post #646 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 01:55 PM

I just did the Amazon Price match by phone. Since their own price has risen back to $179 from from $159 it was at sunrise this morning, they will only price match back down to the CURRENT price, NOT the lowest price it has been in the last 24 hours. SO it is also crucial to to time your phone call/email correctly! As a help for those who wish to do the price match, I webt to "MyAccount", then down to the VERY bottom of the page to "Visit our Help Department". The price match FAQ is on the middle of this page, and the contact link is in a box on the right Hand side. Click the button "Customer Service" and you get a page with three tabs, "express", "email", and "phone". I clicked on phone, they popped up a dialog box to ask fro your phone number. After entering my number they called ME (saves long distances fees, and could mean free incoming minutes on some cell phones!) and the phone rang immediately, some automated stuff, then a live friendly person in under a minute.

As for whether or not a second free 10 movies for a second machine purchase, remember this. The studios want to 'prime the pump' and get people started in the new format(s) and building libraries, or replacing old ones!, instead of sticking with what they already have. Many people will chose not to buy ANY hi def players or disks, and therefor not create a market. In that regard, once a "household" as _a_ player, buying additional players, or upgrading initial ones has no benefit to the studios in terms of breaking that log jam, you have already made the leap. And so if the studios are subsidizing this deal with Toshiba, so that Toshiba can get players 'in the door', and then the studios can sell follow on product, I can see why they do not want to give the store away a second time when the benefit to them is clearly gone.

But if you are giving the additional players away as gifts, and list the new location for the rebate, they are still getting what they want with a new household 'infected' with high-def-itise!

Space Scientists think LIGHTYEARS outside the box! 21 Red 2 Blue
post #647 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07 View Post

Life is not aways fair

when its not, you must do your best to make it fair! take no prisoners!
post #648 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23 View Post

my amazon follow up. purchased last week for $199 and the ten free movies. the player is aleady in my hands and movies on the way. noticed today, thanks to this thread, the price was dropped to $159 for a couple of hours. emailed amazon around 10am and got confirmation of $40 credit this afternoon. good stuff. later.

Same here! The savings made my day. My parents xmas gift just got $40 cheaper!!! I'd buy them more movies, but they are already getting 10!!!

Toshiba HD-XA2
PS3
post #649 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 02:08 PM

Okay I made a last ditch effort and tried to get Wal-Mart or Best Buy to price match the $159 Costco price. No luck. In fact Best Buy said that they aren't price matching on Black Friday.

I need have one nice member of this thread send me a PM with the phone number of a Costco store who has them in stock. His idea was to try and get my local Costco to source one from another Costco that has them in stock. But I think I'm done running around town today (traffic is really heavy and I've been into town three times now). But I appreciate him trying to help.

The latest plan is to just wait and watch this thread with the hopes that something else comes along. Although it is tempting to just buy one of the A3's from Best Buy for $199 and be done with it.

Thanks again for your help!
post #650 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflagdan View Post

Looking for a deal on a A35. Amazon seems to have the best price right now, $359 and free shipping.

Thanks!

I purchased an A35 a couple of weeks ago. I sent Amazon an email today, and within an hour, they refunded me the difference!

I really appreciated the "heads up"!
post #651 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

I agree... unless you are sensitive to fan noise. The fan noise on the XA2 is simply unacceptable for me, worse than the PS3 in my opinion. Even my wife wanted to send it back. Tried a second one and it was a tad better but still unacceptable.

What fan noise?

Seriously, I have none.
post #652 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 02:26 PM

Trying to get some clarification on the disclaimer at the bottom of the rebate form because though the forms look the same - there is a printed beginning date and an end date which may mean that only during the time period does the disclaimer apply.
post #653 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmel View Post

post #654 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwisetheBrave View Post

What fan noise?

Seriously, I have none.

You have no fan noise on your XA2??

First one I've heard of without it.
post #655 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha View Post

As for whether or not a second free 10 movies for a second machine purchase, remember this.

I can see why they do not want to give the store away a second time when the benefit to them is clearly gone.

But if you are giving the additional players away as gifts, and list the new location for the rebate, they are still getting what they want with a new household 'infected' with high-def-itise!

I was really just asking (as were others) if anyone can confirm that Toshiba et al are refusing the rebates for those who participated in an earlier offer. I've only seen one post suggesting that to be the case, so we really need to hear from others who are actually in that situation. Lee asked the question very accurately.
post #656 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 03:02 PM

I have started a thread in the HDSM Forum about this issue. It may also affect the BD buyers/owners. If anyone has verifiable proof - please post it there - either way - yes or no:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=943712

MODS:

In no way, do I wish to hijack this thread. If you feel that this post is inapproproiate . . . please remove.
post #657 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlewis View Post

Okay I made a last ditch effort and tried to get Wal-Mart or Best Buy to price match the $159 Costco price. No luck. In fact Best Buy said that they aren't price matching on Black Friday.

I need have one nice member of this thread send me a PM with the phone number of a Costco store who has them in stock. His idea was to try and get my local Costco to source one from another Costco that has them in stock. But I think I'm done running around town today (traffic is really heavy and I've been into town three times now). But I appreciate him trying to help.

The latest plan is to just wait and watch this thread with the hopes that something else comes along. Although it is tempting to just buy one of the A3's from Best Buy for $199 and be done with it.

Thanks again for your help!

Just got back from Costco, they had 1/3 of pallet left with the one-day $90 rebate. I asked the attendent what is the best way to get the extra saving from the D3 I bought two days ago, he said just take one and pay at the register, then take it straight to the CS counter, use the receipt from two days ago to return it. I did and got the extra $20 back.

I wouldn't be too worried though, the way things are going, by Xmas the price may be half of what is now

BTW, I thought they make D3 for Costco just so we can not price match at other stores.
post #658 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 03:15 PM

I also have zero fan noise from my XA2. I've owned it since February and cannot hear the fan at all, no matter how close you are to the unit. I don't think I am alone in this category, but maybe the minority? I don't think I am, I rarely see people mention the fan noise.

Chris....
post #659 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 04:04 PM

Watch your emails from Amazon.com in regards to the special sale thing. They had the movies in stock now so they shipped. Instead of being free, the email they sent me said that they were charging me $53.91. I called in and asked why I was being charged for the movies and after being put on hold for a while, the CSR said some of the orders on this special are having a billing issue and are charging for the movies. She credited it back to my Visa so its all taken care of(I hope) but keep an eye open for this.

Edit: Disregard the above. This didnt make sense to me so I called and spoke to another person. They said that since its two shipments, its breaking the costs down between the two. So the movies shipped for the $53.91 and the player will ship for $119.33 for the correct grant total of $173.24
post #660 of 8408 Old 11-23-2007, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Amazon has now added Eyes Wide Shut and The Departed back into the "3 free" selection, and also reduced the price by three bucks to $177. That's enough for me, I'm in for my second (! ) HD-DVD player. Now I get to watch for that price to drop back to $159 so I don't feel like I missed out on something. Yeah, I know, pretty cheap. One of my friends once accused me of squeezing the dollar until the Eagle smiled. Not sure what exactly that meant, but probably just as well.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page