Toshiba HD-A3 remote sensor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just set up my Toshiba HD-A3 and I can't control the player while sitting on my couch 10 feet away. The player is in an open rack facing side ways, but I have to position the remote right in front of the player to have it work. Is the remote sensor on this player that bad or do I have a defective player?

Anyone else have a problem like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-13-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcn823 View Post

...The player is in an open rack facing side ways...

Please explain. When you are sitting on your couch, do you have a clear line of sight to the front of the player?
post #3 of 9 Old 11-13-2007, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Not a clear line of sight to the front of the player, only the left side. Even if I angle it 30 degrees or so in the rack it won't control it. I pretty much have to have it turned 90 degrees and have to have it facing me for the remote to work. All my other components in the rack (tivos's, dvr's, a/v receiver, old dvd player) work fine even when they aren't facing my couch.

It just surprises me that such new product would have such a limited remote sensor. I'm using a Home Theater Master MX-500.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-13-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 250
If you read the inserts in the A3 box, it clearly shows you the angles your remote has to point to in relation to the front of the player. IIRC, it's +- 30 degrees.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I just set up my Toshiba HD-A3 and I can't control the player while sitting on my couch 10 feet away. The player is in an open rack facing side ways, but I have to position the remote right in front of the player to have it work. Is the remote sensor on this player that bad or do I have a defective player?

Anyone else have a problem like this?

I think its that you have a defective player but before you box it up change the batteries in the remote. If you are using the ones that came with it, they are junk, use a good name brand.

I took the red pill.
(and got screwed by Toshiba)
post #6 of 9 Old 11-13-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not a clear line of sight to the front of the player, only the left side. Even if I angle it 30 degrees or so in the rack it won't control it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe01880 View Post

I think its that you have a defective player but before you box it up change the batteries in the remote. If you are using the ones that came with it, they are junk, use a good name brand.

No, he is pointing the remote at the side of the player, not the front. That is the problem.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-13-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not a clear line of sight to the front of the player, only the left side. Even if I angle it 30 degrees or so in the rack it won't control it. I pretty much have to have it turned 90 degrees and have to have it facing me for the remote to work. All my other components in the rack (tivos's, dvr's, a/v receiver, old dvd player) work fine even when they aren't facing my couch.

It just surprises me that such new product would have such a limited remote sensor. I'm using a Home Theater Master MX-500.

The MX-500 remote is a good one with a very strong dual emmitter IR transmitter. I would suggest you should just upgrade to a newer remote with built in RF and IR. Here is one example that I use and with the RF repeater I can control any device from half a block away lol.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16880120001

post #8 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 02:26 PM

Any suggestions for a 5 digit code to allow the Regza 42HL167 LCD TV remote (CT-90276) to control the A3? The codes listed in the Regza for Toshiba DVD's don't seem to work.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 02:49 PM

I have problems with this too and my A3 is facing forward. The remote has to be pretty much pointing straight at the front of the player, with no obstructions (such as, oh, coffee table legs).
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page