Old 02-29-2008, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_qc View Post

Hey guys I just return my 1080i a3 for a 1080p a30 but when playing films in 1080p it's just not right. I have a ps3 that display 1080p and so far is just a way better than my toshiba. Most people told me that hd-dvd had a better display than blu-ray why is my a30 not better than the 1080i a3? is there any firmware I can get to fix that? I have several hd-dvd titles and I'm wondering if I'd should keep my a3 and switch to blu-ray...

What TV do you have?
What firmware do you have on the A30?
What cable are you using?
What picture setting do you have turned on in the A30?

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 74
+ are you trying to watch HD DVD's or r u talking about the upscaling ability??
Old 02-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What TV do you have? sharp aquos lc52d82u
What firmware do you have on the A30? I don't know
What cable are you using? hdmi thru my yamaha htr6060 and hdmi thru my aquos (just like my ps3)
What picture setting do you have turned on in the A30? 1080p not 24fps because I know my tv does'nt display 24p

+ are you trying to watch HD DVD's or r u talking about the upscaling ability?? I'm watching only hd-dvd I own a samsung r160 that upscale dvd perfectly and respond faster than my toshiba

I have'nt download any firmware yet because I don't know how to do it.
My tv display 1080p perfectly when watching a blu-ray disc on my 80go ps3 but when I'm watching an HD-DVD it does'nt display better than my previous a3. Maybe I'm just a little slow but I hate to get lost reading the user manuals so far avs forums are my way to get my answers.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_qc View Post

What TV do you have? sharp aquos lc52d82u
What firmware do you have on the A30? I don't know
What cable are you using? hdmi
What picture setting do you have turned on in the A30? 1080p not 24fps

+ are you trying to watch HD DVD's or r u talking about the upscaling ability?? I'm watching only hd-dvd I own a samsung r160 that upscale dvd perfectly and respond faster than my toshiba

I have'nt download any firmware yet because I don't know how to do it.
My tv display 1080p perfectly when watching a blu-ray disc on my 80go ps3 but when I'm watching an HD-DVD it does'nt display better than my previous a3. Maybe I'm just a little slow but I hate to get lost reading the user manuals so far avs forums are my way to get my answers.

Play around with the A30 resolution settings. Start with 480i & working your way up to 1080p/24.

See how your TV reacts to it.

Also, play around with the 'Picture Mode' setting - it has 'Film', 'Video', & 'Auto'.

Check your firmware! It should be 1.3 or 2.0. Under General >Maintenance> Update>No pg.19

For gosh sake read the manual.
It's actually quite a short & tidy manual. All this can be found on page 20-21!!

btw, these HD boxes are computers not really plug play so you have to put some effort into it. Did u know your PS3 needs FW updates also?

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
Old 02-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

Play around with the A30 resolution settings. Start with 480i & working your way up to 1080p/24.

See how your TV reacts to it.

Also, play around with the 'Picture Mode' setting - it has 'Film', 'Video', & 'Auto'.

Check your firmware! It should be 1.3 or 2.0. Under General >Maintenance> Update>No pg.19

For gosh sake read the manual.
It's actually quite a short & tidy manual. All this can be found on page 20-21!!

btw, these HD boxes are computers not really plug play so you have to put some effort into it. Did u know your PS3 needs FW updates also?

Well I use to be not so bad hooking up home theater back when everything were SD. I have huge problems when I'm trying to work with computers... Damn I'm confused!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:57 AM

Is this player suppose to be quiet?

I had an A-2 and never heard the thing. I just got an A-35 and can now hear a low hum. Is this normal? It's not wicked loud, but I can notice the player now, but I could never notice the A-2. Should I return it?

I don't have a surround system, but I have a feeling if I did, then the speakers would totally drown out the player. I am just listening through the tv's speakers currently.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchesman View Post

I had an A-2 and never heard the thing. I just got an A-35 and can now hear a low hum. Is this normal? It's not wicked loud, but I can notice the player now, but I could never notice the A-2. Should I return it?

Bostonian, I presume?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchesman View Post

I don't have a surround system, but I have a feeling if I did, then the speakers would totally drown out the player. I am just listening through the tv's speakers currently.

I noticed the drive is louder than the A2's which I have also. Not too big of a deal though. My samsung BDP-1400 BD player's drive is really loud in comparison
Old 03-01-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

i was gonna suggest washing the discs but some peeps start bitching about how they shouldnt have to clean a new disc. they're right, they/we shouldnt have to BUT if thats what we gotta do to get a glitch free playable disc, i think its getting off easy. as in not having to replace disc or worse replace machine, etc.

i just clean them all; havent had problem yet w a2 or a30.

update-re: hd-a30 (fw1.1) even after cleaning ive had a couple of scratched up hd dvds freeze up and not continue. i learned how to skip around the 'jams' but thats no fun.
the cleaning usually does help tho.
will fw 1.3 help with freeze ups, make machine play discs more reliably?

i searched under 'scratched discs, scratches', etc, not much help.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

update-re: hd-a30 (fw1.1) even after cleaning ive had a couple of scratched up hd dvds freeze up and not continue. i learned how to skip around the 'jams' but thats no fun.
the cleaning usually does help tho.
will fw 1.3 help with freeze ups, make machine play discs more reliably?

i searched under 'scratched discs, scratches', etc, not much help.

bump
Old 05-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
What the difference / fixes from FW 1.3 to 2.0?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Bump, anyone know the difference between FW 1.3 versus 2.0. Toshiba's support pages only list the FW and do not contain details.