Old 11-18-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosman22 View Post

Not yet, however fw 1.1 fixed whatever bug was preventing all of us 3rd gen owners from updating through ethernet with the original 1.0. If you are waiting for the iso because you couldn't download 1.1 directly to your player give it a try with 1.3.

It always takes too long, lol. ISO is just easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

It always takes too long, lol. ISO is just easier.

All things considered it took about 45 mins for me to do the update. If you feel it takes too long, maybe you could try updating before you go to bed and it will be all ready when you wake up in the morning.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Understood, but it does me no good when I have two A3s in two different places in my apartment. One is connected the router, the other is no where near it. ISO is easier to update both players rather then unhooking one.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:18 PM

Well here is my 1.3 update...fixed my playback issue with Transformers. So I am all happy.

HD-DVD - 15
BluRay - 30

There was a format war...Best Buy won, I lost.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Brand new A3 out of the box. Came with 1.1. Upgraded to 1.3 without incident or fanfare. Took maybe 25 minutes. Glad I went with a wireless 4 port bridge for my xbox now, made plugging this into my network simple as pie.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

ISO for this yet?

I didn't see it listed yet in the thread, but the .iso is now up.

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 11-19-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

For those of you looking to download the 1.3 firmware iso for the A3 and A35, it's now on toshiba's web server.

Beat me to it.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

The 1.3 update ISO is now available on the Toshiba Website.

Goto the Toshiba Customer support website and look under the "Recalls and Updates" section. (Sorry-- Don't have the required three posts to include the URL!)

I have downloaded it and the file name (after extraction) is:

HD-A3-1300U.iso

Frank
Old 11-19-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
is there a documentation of what it fixes?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone posted that the .iso is up on the Toshiba site now? Just wondering...

PSN: VinnAY-DBC
Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Firmware 1.3 Read Me:

Q1. What does this update do?

A1. This firmware update improves network connectivity for supporting the download of web- enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, improves certain video and audio processing capabilities, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba.

Q2. Why do I need to turn on DHCP and DNS?

A2.Turning on DHCP causes the player to automatically detect its IP address and other network information from your internet service provider's DHCP server. Turning on DNS causes the player to automatically detect the DNS server address associated with your internet service provider.

Q3. I purchased an HD DVD disc that contains/has the capability of downloading web- enabled network content. What do I need to do to view this content?

A3. First, be sure that you have properly configured the player's Ethernet port. If your Ethernet port is properly configured, perform the firmware update process to update the player's firmware to the latest firmware version. Once you have updated the player with the latest firmware, follow the directions that came with the HD DVD disc or that appear in the menu of the HD DVD disc. Should you experience problems viewing such content, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q4. The HDMI output does not work or works intermittently with the HDMI or DVI input on my HDTV or monitor. Does the new firmware address that issue?

A4. The firmware update addresses and improves HDMI and DVI connectivity issues. If you still experience such issues, try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable. Make sure your display input is set to HDMI (or DVI). If your display has more than one HDMI/DVI input, make sure that all connected HDMI/DVI source devices are powered on (even if not in use). If none of these solve the issue, please turn off the TV and the HD DVD player. Check all connections. Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. Turn on the TV first and then turn on the HD DVD player. Should you continue to experience issues, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q5. During HD DVD playback I sometimes experience pixelization, block noise or audio dropouts. Sometimes playback freezes or stops. Sometimes, playback is not smooth. Does the new firmware address these issues?

A5. This firmware update addresses various playability issues. You should also check to be sure that the disc is clean and, if the disc will not operate at all, that you are inserting the disc with the right side up. In the event that playback freezes or stops, press and hold the ON/STANDBY button on the front of the player for approximately ten seconds. This will cause the player to turn off. After the player turns off, turn the player back on by pressing the ON/STANDBY button, and then press the OPEN/CLOSE button to remove the disc. Should you continue to experience issues, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319- 6684.

Q6. Do I need to install prior firmware updates before installing the current firmware update?

A6. No. The current firmware update includes all of the prior firmware updates.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

S~

Thanks! The .iso thing is incredibly easy with Mac OSX because it has image burning built in to the operating system. No extra programs needed.

"I was right in the middle of a freaking reptile zoo. And somebody was giving booze to these darn things! It won't be long before they tear us to shreds!"

-- Raoul Duke
Old 11-19-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

If you have a HDMI receiver, all three will be fine. A3 and A30 will decode all advanced audio (with exception of DTS-MA) and output multi-channel PCM over HDMI. A35 is a step further that gives you an option of output all advanced audio as bitstream over HDMI without decoding them (you will not be able to here secondary audio stream like PIP, comments and menu sounds in this mode).

If you're worried about format war, A3 is your best bet. You still get hi-res audio and don't lose two much $$ on the player itself.

HDMI receiver is the key here. Otherwise, you will have to get one with analog 5.1 out which A3 lacks.

Why not HDMI from A3 directly to HDTV and digital optical directly from A3 to to Audio Receiver?
Old 11-19-2007, 03:18 PM

I'm having trouble with 5.1 PCM over HDMI from A3 to HK AVR-645 (firmware 4.06 newest).

Does this update fix that? I'm only getting 2.0 PCM over HDMI with firmware 1.1.

Toshiba points the finger at Harman Kardon and Harman Kardan does the same at Toshiba. I'm sick of calling technical support on this issue.

I'm ready to return both pieces of equipment or maybe just get a different receiver.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

S~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

Firmware 1.3 Read Me:

Q1. What does this update do?

A1. This firmware update improves network connectivity...

Thanks for the update! I will add it to the first post...
Old 11-19-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Xtreme View Post

I'm having trouble with 5.1 PCM over HDMI from A3 to HK AVR-645 (firmware 4.06 newest).

Does this update fix that? I'm only getting 2.0 PCM over HDMI with firmware 1.1.

Toshiba points the finger at Harman Kardon and Harman Kardan does the same at Toshiba. I'm sick of calling technical support on this issue.

I'm ready to return both pieces of equipment or maybe just get a different receiver.

Any help is appreciated!

If you have it set to MCPCM, and not downmixed 2-ch PCM, it's sending 5:1. Sounds like you're have an issue with the receiver.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

If you have it set to MCPCM, and not downmixed 2-ch PCM, it's sending 5:1. Sounds like you're have an issue with the receiver.

On the Toshiba A3, I've tried Auto and PCM on the HDMI audio setting, but only get 2.0.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

On the Toshiba A3, I've tried Auto and PCM on the HDMI audio setting, but only get 2.0.

Try going into the HK surround setup and select one of the PCM modes 48 or 96 for which ever input you have the player assigned to. I think the factory preset is set to downsample PCM to 2.0.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 11-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Hello Everyone:

I just ordered my Toshiba A3 (grabbed the Amazon.com deal with the total of 10 free HD-DVD's for $199.00) and I have downloaded the 1.3 Update to my computer (so I have it if needed).

Now I won't upgrade it unless I have any "out-of-the-box" problems, but I just wanted to ask anyone who would like to assist me about something.

Seeing as how I will not be using Ethernet to upgrade the firmware (making a disc instead) do I just have to burn the ISO file to the root of a blank CD (meaning make sure it's not in a folder) and go from there?

When I downloaded the Firmware upgrade for my Philips DVDR-3575H there were some very specific things I had to select when using Nero to burn the CD with the upgrade on it.

So with the Toshiba HD-A3 do I just get the HD-A3-1300U.iso file on a CD and then go from there? I have instructions on how to turn on the unit and when to insert the CD and all of that, I am just concerned with the burning of the CD.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Never Underestimate The Power Of Forums.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

You must copy the image to the CD using a program capable of copying iso files. I use Nero 8 and have never had a problem.

Some people have used this freeware program.

http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm

S~

Old 11-19-2007, 05:58 PM

So how do I check the version number of my A3. When I got to the "update" screen it says 1.1/1.3. Does that mean I have 1.3? When I try to do an "update" it says I have already updated.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

change the SPDIF to PCM and HDMI out to Auto and see what you get...believe it or not, the settings for SPDIF affect what you get out of the HDMI.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay65 View Post

So how do I check the version number of my A3. When I got to the "update" screen it says 1.1/1.3. Does that mean I have 1.3? When I try to do an "update" it says I have already updated.

You're done.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:12 PM

Thanks. What does the 1.1 mean? Does it save two version of the firmware on the player and you can boot to the older version in case there is a problem.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. What does the 1.1 mean? Does it save two version of the firmware on the player and you can boot to the older version in case there is a problem.

The seond set is the firmware revision..dont worry about what the first set means.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

While playing a 5:1 disc, simply press the display button on the remote, and it will show what is being output.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For new A3/A30/A35 owners who have never updated with an iso image, here are some great instructions:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=89
Old 11-19-2007, 07:39 PM

I just played Bourne Identity on my A3 w/ 1.3 without a single hitch... good movie!

HD DVD - 10
BLU-RAY - 3
Old 11-19-2007, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My A35 says 1.3/1.1 what does that mean?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:

I assume you meant to type 1.3/1.1. The FIRST number is the firmware version. Version 1.1 reads 1.1/1.1, and version 1.3 reads 1.3/1.1

Regards