XA2 OWNERS: Do you have the 1080P Power Down/ Shutdown Bug? - Page 18 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your XA2 have 1080P shutdowns and if so what is your config?
I do not have shutdowns. I run HDMI straight to my TV set. 92 38.17%
I do not have shutdowns. I run HDMI thru a reveiver or router. 100 41.49%
I do have shutdowns that happen in 20 minutes or less. I run HDMI straight to my TV set. 13 5.39%
I do have shutdowns that happen in 21-90 minutes. I run HDMI straight to my TV set. 7 2.90%
I do have shutdowns that happen in 20 minutes or less. I run HDMI straight to my TV set. 4 1.66%
I do have shutdowns that happen in 21-90 minutes. I run HDMI thru a reveiver or router. 25 10.37%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 525 Old 11-03-2008, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejackaz View Post

Toshiba replaced my xa2 and I have had no more trouble. The old one would shut down after about 15 mins.

Toshiba just replaced mine and even the new unit does it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 525 Old 11-04-2008, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
livingproof73-

First, I am glad to hear that Toshiba is still providing brand-new players as warranty replacements (even though some like yours have the shutdown bug). Second, I recommend that you go ahead and install v4.0 firmware on your new player-it cannot hurt and may help. Let us know if it affects your shutdown problem.

(Actually, I should not say "it cannot hurt"... I bricked my shutting-down XA2 trying to install v3.0 a while back. The good news is, Toshiba replaced that player with yet another new one, which did not have the bug.)

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #513 of 525 Old 11-07-2008, 03:10 PM

Hi, The player suddenly only reads Standard DVD´s. When I inser HD DVD´s I got a message that says that the disc inserted is not a DVD or somthg like it.
Any clues?

Many thanks
post #514 of 525 Old 11-08-2008, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedeM View Post

Hi, The player suddenly only reads Standard DVD´s. When I inser HD DVD´s I got a message that says that the disc inserted is not a DVD or somthg like it.
Any clues?

Many thanks

My guess, drive went bad. Get the cheapest A2 you can find that works, remove the drive, and replace it in your XA2.
post #515 of 525 Old 11-12-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

livingproof73-

First, I am glad to hear that Toshiba is still providing brand-new players as warranty replacements (even though some like yours have the shutdown bug). Second, I recommend that you go ahead and install v4.0 firmware on your new player-it cannot hurt and may help. Let us know if it affects your shutdown problem.

(Actually, I should not say "it cannot hurt"... I bricked my shutting-down XA2 trying to install v3.0 a while back. The good news is, Toshiba replaced that player with yet another new one, which did not have the bug.)

ChrisW6ATV- I updated it to 4.0 and the issue still happens at 1080p only....this is starting to get very frustrating
post #516 of 525 Old 11-12-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingproof73 View Post

ChrisW6ATV- I updated it to 4.0 and the issue still happens at 1080p only....this is starting to get very frustrating

The shutdown problem doesn't have anything to do with firmware updates. If your unit shuts down the only way to resolve it is to get another replacement. I had the same thing happen to me with the 1st replacement shutting down. The 2nd replacement I received hasn't shutdown in 9 months of use. It's hit or miss. Manufacturing dates, etc. never pointed to specific units that would or wouldn't shutdown.
post #517 of 525 Old 11-12-2008, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I've had mine replaced with a brand new one, which also shut-down as my house warmed up in the summer. I took the top and side panels off for more air flow, never a shut-down again (The REON chip thinks its overheating....). I recently put the top back on and left the sides off, still no shut-downs, but it is cooler now that winter is here. I also read that turning the XA2 on first before other components will do the trick...., I haven't personally tried this. Obviously this is something that firmware will not fix, it seems to be a hardware/logic design flaw. We have to work around it. Do an experiment. Take the sides and top off, report back your results.

-Tom
post #518 of 525 Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am sorry to hear the firmware update did not fix the shutdown problem; some reports for v3.0 at least had said that it did fix the problem for some users. The problem always only happened at 1080p mode if I remember right (you can confirm this by checking earlier posts in this topic), and can be worked around by starting the player and waiting for the "No Disc" message before turning your TV or HDMI receiver on. As Scubawoman said, the only true cure at this point is to get another replacement from Toshiba.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #519 of 525 Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Well I believe I have experienced my first "shut down" bug yesterday while watching the 12 Monkeys HD-DVD. It happen twice during playback. I don't recall the second time, but it first happened after about an hour. I initially thought I accidentally hit the power button but when it happened again, I knew it was something about the player.

I have about 20-30 HD-DVD titles that I have watched without incident and this is the first time I've had something weird happen with the player. The video output is set to 1080p/24 and I have v4.0 firmware.

Is there a known problem with the 12 Monkeys HD-DVD perhaps? I may test to see if the problem occurs at exactly the same point everytime.
post #520 of 525 Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

jdryyz-

That player behavior does not sound exactly like the typical version of the bug described here. Usually, the player will shut down within a few minutes of starting a movie. Also, it will not act as if the power button was hit, but rather it will simply go dead suddenly with no "goodbye" message on the front panel. Did your player do that? Also, how warm was the room or cabinet where your player is located? It is possible that you are having shutdowns for some other reason. I am not aware of a problem with 12 Monkeys; I played my copy without trouble but it was not recently.

Chris

post #521 of 525 Old 08-13-2009, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(July 28, 2008)
I finally decided to keep the brand-new XA2 that Toshiba sent me to replace the bricked one. It was built in October 2007 with v2.2 firmware, and I upgraded it to v2.7. I only watched one movie so far, but it did not shut down!

Well, it took over a year, but my HD-XA2 shut off during a movie the other night. It was about 30 minutes into "Mission: Impossible 2". Maybe the player was trying to warn me against watching it... That movie is really lame.

I am not going to try exchanging it, even if I could. I will just switch to the "start the player first" workaround.

Chris

post #522 of 525 Old 08-13-2009, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, it took over a year, but my HD-XA2 shut off during a movie the other night. It was about 30 minutes into "Mission: Impossible 2". Maybe the player was trying to warn me against watching it... That movie is really lame.

I am not going to try exchanging it, even if I could. I will just switch to the "start the player first" workaround.

I had the same scenario, they replaced mine etc... I ended up taking the side plates off to allow more air flow and have no more shut downs. Try it out, can't hurt.

-Tom
post #523 of 525 Old 08-20-2009, 08:57 AM

I've had my XA2 for well over a year. I had a problem once, after only a couple months. I initially had it in a cabinet. I took it out and placed it on top of the cabinet. No problems since. Based on mine, and other's experiences, it sure sounds like an air flow/heat problem.
post #524 of 525 Old 07-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 256
old thread to be unstuck

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #525 of 525 Old 07-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman View Post

I've had my XA2 for well over a year. I had a problem once, after only a couple months. I initially had it in a cabinet. I took it out and placed it on top of the cabinet. No problems since. Based on mine, and other's experiences, it sure sounds like an air flow/heat problem.

Some report that helps, others don't. A really annoying bug to be sure.

There's another "bug" where the video will blackout for a second or so every once in a great while. Atleast this is my experience with just under ten XA2's/Onkyo 805's that I have owned.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page