XA2 OWNERS: Do you have the 1080P Power Down/ Shutdown Bug? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your XA2 have 1080P shutdowns and if so what is your config?
I do not have shutdowns. I run HDMI straight to my TV set. 92 38.17%
I do not have shutdowns. I run HDMI thru a reveiver or router. 100 41.49%
I do have shutdowns that happen in 20 minutes or less. I run HDMI straight to my TV set. 13 5.39%
I do have shutdowns that happen in 21-90 minutes. I run HDMI straight to my TV set. 7 2.90%
I do have shutdowns that happen in 20 minutes or less. I run HDMI straight to my TV set. 4 1.66%
I do have shutdowns that happen in 21-90 minutes. I run HDMI thru a reveiver or router. 25 10.37%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 525 Old 12-10-2007, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I just got my first AX2 1080p shutdown. Was watching "The Untouchables" and just as that baby carriage was falling down the stairs BAM the unit goes off! July build, Amazon bought, sent UPC sticker for free movies already, bah-humbug!

Got a great price on the thing though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 525 Old 12-10-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigVid View Post

Well, I just got my first AX2 1080p shutdown. Was watching "The Untouchables" and just as that baby carriage was falling down the stairs BAM the unit goes off! July build, Amazon bought, sent UPC sticker for free movies already, bah-humbug!

Did you use the "work around" when you powered up your system?? I'm curious if it works 100% of the time. I haven't had any shut down issues since I found out about the work around.

Mike
post #93 of 525 Old 12-10-2007, 06:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigVid View Post

How long have you had your player and how many HD DVD's have you watched. I've had mine for about 2.5 weeks and watched several SD DVD's upconverted to 1080p and only one full length HD DVD. I have also watched over 20 minutes of a couple of HD DVD's. So far, no shut down occurence. Am I in the clear?
post #94 of 525 Old 12-10-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinyhenry View Post

How long have you had your player?..

I got my player directly from Amazon on Nov 27th (and was able to get their low price for it - I'm sure we all know what that was). I hooked it up and updated to 2.7 almost immediately. The sound of CDs was great with NO dropouts (relief). I had great results with upconverting DVDs to 1080p. However, I did notice some digital artifacting on Animatrix (green digital noise on tan colored backgrounds) and other discs. I was able to get rid of it by bypassing my Sony STR-DG1000 and connecting HDMI directly to my Sony S3000 LCD, or by reducing the res on the AX2 to 1080i. However, I never noticed that problem on my Epson HC1080 so it may be either a HDMI cable or monoprice HDMI splitter prob. Anyway, other than that things seemed to be going smoothly, I even have quiet (but not dead) fan operation. The transport is a bit noisy, but I've heard worse. Then, this happens, the player just turns off. I will try the procedures described here and keep posting. I will say that after owning this player for awhile, that I love it (so much better than my A2) and just hope it returns the favor and lasts.

Oh, and I've watched only a handful of HDDVDs on it since I've been so amazed by the AX2's upconverting abilities...
post #95 of 525 Old 12-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinyhenry View Post

How long have you had your player and how many HD DVD's have you watched. I've had mine for about 2.5 weeks and watched several SD DVD's upconverted to 1080p and only one full length HD DVD. I have also watched over 20 minutes of a couple of HD DVD's. So far, no shut down occurence. Am I in the clear?

It will only happen with HDDVDs, and it happens immediately, like with the first HDDVD you will play unless you have the thing running in your refrigerator, then it might not shut down if you have the bug. Or you may have inadvertently done the workaround and not know it, like if you were watching TV and started the XA2 and then later switched over. Then you still might have the bug. But the bug is fairly rare so there is a good chance you don't have it. Watch a few more HDDVDs for longer as in a cooler environment and if the player has been off for a while, it can take 20-30 minutes to reach the shutdown temp. Only being around hot components or a warmer room will it shut off in 1-5 minutes.

Blue Discs: 28....Next purchase...The Rock
Red Discs: 7....Next purchase...Is there a need to?
PS3 Games: 4....Next purchase...GT5
Just a bluish shade of purple....Neutrality is calming!
post #96 of 525 Old 12-11-2007, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

we're closing in on 200 replies and thus far about 1 in 5 owners is reporting this issue. that's a HIGH number.

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS.
post #97 of 525 Old 12-11-2007, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Plenty of replies indeed. I wish Robert from VE would post here, and specifically say he has told Toshiba about the problem. The only confirmation we got from Robert was vague and probably an attempt to circumvent a direct answer. 20% of players is a LOT, especially since this could be fixed through firmware. Just have the machine do the workaround itself if you can't get to the root of the real issue.

At any rate I returned my shutdown-bug player on the 30th day since the future was uncertain. i still have the good xa2 and my A2 for now. I will get another XA2 when i hear some confirmation that Toshiba is working on the issue.

I wonder how long it will be before we hear about an Onkyo doing this. It's the same machine, so it's got to be coming soon!

I Like Digital!
post #98 of 525 Old 12-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Its pretty much become a non-issue for me, the workaround is so ridiculously simple that my Harmony knows to keep the receiver on PVR while it turns on the machine, then I have a custom screen button to switch to DVD once I know the player is ready. The XA2 is becoming increasingly rare in Canada and has been confirmed by two of my sources to be discontinued in Canada. I think I'll keep mine and enjoy the amazing PQ and bitstreaming audio.

post #99 of 525 Old 12-12-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrage000 View Post

Its pretty much become a non-issue for me, the workaround is so ridiculously simple that my Harmony knows to keep the receiver on PVR while it turns on the machine, then I have a custom screen button to switch to DVD once I know the player is ready. The XA2 is becoming increasingly rare in Canada and has been confirmed by two of my sources to be discontinued in Canada. I think I'll keep mine and enjoy the amazing PQ and bitstreaming audio.

I agree. With the simplicity of the work around it's not something that will get me to send it in for service, or return it. It would be nice if they fixed it, but I can remember to turn my XA2 on first, if that's what it takes.
post #100 of 525 Old 12-14-2007, 04:32 PM

I received my XA2 a couple of days ago...played an HD-DVD episode of "Heroes" @1080p w/ no pwr. down issues. I am experiencing periodic audio dropout when playing a CD via Coaxial Bitstream. It dosen't seem to occur using 5.1 multi-analog...

AMS
post #101 of 525 Old 12-14-2007, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morg999 View Post

I received my XA2 a couple of days ago...played an HD-DVD episode of "Heroes" @1080p w/ no pwr. down issues. I am experiencing periodic audio dropout when playing a CD via Coaxial Bitstream. It dosen't seem to occur using 5.1 multi-analog...

AMS

what fw are you using?

post #102 of 525 Old 12-14-2007, 11:15 PM

FW=2.2
Date of Manufacture= 09/07

AMS
post #103 of 525 Old 12-15-2007, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morg999 View Post

FW=2.2
Date of Manufacture= 09/07

AMS

update to FW 2.7. it is a great fw update in general and might fix your audio bug. i've heard of people getting the shutdown bug when upgrading and it going away when upgrading. that's the only risk you run right now.

post #104 of 525 Old 12-17-2007, 09:13 AM

Okay, I've watched a few more HD DVDs and some DVDs since my last post on this thread. I haven't had any more shutdowns (with or without turning my HDMI receiver on first), so that's good. However, now I've noticed that I am getting strange sync problems with the XA2. We were watching Phantom of the Opera HD DVD and noticed that the sync seemed to go in and out. Also, Simon and Garfunkel Central Park DVD seemed out-of-sync slightly. These were slight sync errors fixable with about 50ms of correction on my new Sony STR-DG2100 1.3a receiver. However, because it would go in and out of sync on the XA2 for the POTO HD DVD, I am worried it can't be totally fixed using this method, at least for certain HD DVDs.

One other thing I noticed, when using 1080p 24hz on the XA2 and sending it via HDMI thru the DG2100 to my Epson HC1080 projector, even DVDs seem to show up as 23.97hz on the projector (when I don't think they should). My PS3 doesn't pass DVDs as 23.97hz on the projector (even in forced 24hz mode). Only Blu ray films show up as 23.97hz, everything else is the proper 59.97hz. Maybe this has to do with the Reon chip processing everything on the XA2 to 1080p24; but this sometime results in brief combing artifacts at the beginning of takes. Oh well, guess I can use 1080i to get away from these probs (though I don't think I should have to)
post #105 of 525 Old 12-17-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowryan View Post

update to FW 2.7. it is a great fw update in general and might fix your audio bug. i've heard of people getting the shutdown bug when upgrading and it going away when upgrading. that's the only risk you run right now.

I upgraded to 2.7 on FRI night via ISO disc...it FIXED my CD audio problem completely..I didn't have the shutdown bug; still don't. I played a bunch of CD's this weekend to see if it would skip; it didn't. So the 2.7 worked for me.....it took about 17 mins.

AMS
post #106 of 525 Old 12-17-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Well Toshiba had my XA2 for a week as of last Friday and today I got a call that my XA2 cant be repaired so will be replaced with a new one. Good CS from Toshiba and hopefully the new unit doesnt have the same bug.
post #107 of 525 Old 12-19-2007, 07:42 AM

I purchased an xa2 from Amazon and received it last week - build date 9/07. Firmware = 2.2. I am running HDMI directly to my Panny plasma.

I watched "Transformers", "Flags of our Fathers" and "Goodfellows" ( all HD-DVD ) under fw 2.2 and had no issues.

I then upgraded the fw to 2.7

After the fw upgr., I started watching the same Goodfellows HD-DVD and within 3 miutes I experienced a shutdown. I powered it back up and played the same scene and it happened again at approximatly the same spot. Powered it up a third time and played a different scene from the same HD-DVD and it happened again.

I came directly to these awesome forums to research the issue and then tried the workaround of letting the xa2 boot fully before switching to its video port. The workaround seems to be working although I have not let it run more than 30 minutes b/c I havent had time.

Caveat / gray area: somewhere in between the fw upgrade, I re-programmed the harmony 880 to leave the player off untill I was going to use it. Then the sequence was to power on the player and THEN switch to its hdmi port - of course the tv switched ports quicker than the player powers up.

So the first 3 flawless movies were all played under fw 2.2 and most likey the video port was switched AFTER the player had fully booted since the player was on all the time. Unfortunatly i dont recall exact details.

The shutdowns occured after 2.7 AND after changing the power on sequence in the remote - not positive which one of these is relevent but I suspect the firmware is NOT causing the issue. It is more likely a HDMI handshake problem.

I dont think its heat related because the first shutdown happended 3 minutes after the machine was first powered up.

Im going to call Toshiba later this morning and I will post after I hear from them.

In the meantime, does anyone have more info on this annoying problem?
post #108 of 525 Old 12-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

I would agree with your assessment, I don't think firmware has ever been the cause of getting or getting rid of the bug. There are old threads on this problem from way back at the beginning of the XA2 lifecycle and ever since. I think you were inadvertently doing the workaround with the Harmony at first. The bug is so reproducible and the fix is so reproducible that there doesn't seem to be any variation that could be firmware induced.

I do know youknowryan posted that he had seen reports of people getting or losing the bug after firmware but I don't remember reading any.

post #109 of 525 Old 12-19-2007, 09:47 AM

Thanks arbitrage000. I called toshiba and the rep said she has to investigate so I will post any new info as I get it.

Has anyone figured out a seamless way to program the 880 or similar remote, to implement this workaround? I can not find a way to put in a long enough delay between "power on dvd player" and "switch input". Its not so much a problem for people on this thread as it is an inexperienced family member who just wants to hit a single button and not have to think about it.

Thanks for any input.
post #110 of 525 Old 12-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puravida View Post

Thanks arbitrage000. I called toshiba and the rep said she has to investigate so I will post any new info as I get it.

Has anyone figured out a seamless way to program the 880 or similar remote, to implement this workaround? I can not find a way to put in a long enough delay between "power on dvd player" and "switch input". Its not so much a problem for people on this thread as it is an inexperienced family member who just wants to hit a single button and not have to think about it.

Thanks for any input.

Your right there is no way to get the delay long enough (I have the 880 also). For myself I have the "Watch DVD" to power on the receiver and leave it on my HDPVR input instead of my DVD input. Then under custom commands for "Watch a DVD" I have the button for my receiver that switches to DVD input. So I have to push one more button on my own but that is all I have to do extra (I think the 880 can have up to a 30sec delay but I don't think the Toshiba can boot quite that quick, the PS3 would but no HDDVD will, of course then you have to have it pointing at the receiver the whole time anyways). My way works good for me.

Funny thing is, I taught my GF how to do it and then the other day I come home and she's watching her regular DVD on the PS3. I asked her why she isn't using the XA2 for the better upconversion and she said it was taking too long to eject the disc and boot up so she just stuck the disc in the PS3 and turned over to its input. She had the PS3 playing before the eject even opened!! This is a problem I see the regular consumer having issues with when used to fast DVD players.

post #111 of 525 Old 12-19-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrage000 View Post

Your right there is no way to get the delay long enough (I have the 880 also). For myself I have the "Watch DVD" to power on the receiver and leave it on my HDPVR input instead of my DVD input. Then under custom commands for "Watch a DVD" I have the button for my receiver that switches to DVD input. So I have to push one more button on my own but that is all I have to do extra (I think the 880 can have up to a 30sec delay but I don't think the Toshiba can boot quite that quick, the PS3 would but no HDDVD will, of course then you have to have it pointing at the receiver the whole time anyways). My way works good for me.

Funny thing is, I taught my GF how to do it and then the other day I come home and she's watching her regular DVD on the PS3. I asked her why she isn't using the XA2 for the better upconversion and she said it was taking too long to eject the disc and boot up so she just stuck the disc in the PS3 and turned over to its input. She had the PS3 playing before the eject even opened!! This is a problem I see the regular consumer having issues with when used to fast DVD players.

Im in the same boat. I spend all this $ and time setting up this system and then I catch my gf watching standard dvd on an analog tv because she said the new one is too complicated and slow. Thats why I got the 880. Funny, but we'll get there.

Anyway, I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.
post #112 of 525 Old 12-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hey guys!

Late to the game here. I received a Toshiba HD-AX2 from Toshiba
a few months ago directly from the manufacturer.

The player is a mess. It has repeatedly shut down on me several
seconds and/or minutes into the film. A Blue box comes up and says
that it needs to change resolution and then after a bit of flickering the
title starts all over again. It can happen multiple times within a single
viewing.

I basically have had very little time to diagnose the problem, but happy
to see that a direct number to Toshiba has been posted here. I will call
them later today and arrange to have my player shipped back, though I am
a bit miffed that it's at my expense.

Before I ship it back....

Is there a software fix? Is there any fix at all?

For anyone that received their AX2 back from Toshiba, did they actually
fix the problem?

Thanks in advance!
post #113 of 525 Old 12-20-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

Hey guys!

viewing.

fix the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Have you updated the firmware to V2.7? If not, it's worth a try to see if it cures any of these problems ...
post #114 of 525 Old 12-20-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Hey guys!

viewing.

fix the problem?

Thanks in advance!

are you using hdmi through a receiver? what is your firware?
post #115 of 525 Old 12-20-2007, 12:52 PM

I reported this problem back in October when I got my XA2 from Amazon. The work-around of not switching the HDMI to my TV until the XA2 was fully booted up and saying "No Disk" has been working for me. I have updated the firmware to 2.7 and it makes no difference, I still have to do the work-around. I threw in the new Harry Potter the other night and forgot to wait for the XA2 to say No Disk before swiching TV sources and Harry crapped out an hour into it. I tried loading Harry again with out waiting and he crapped out after 5 minutes. I unplugged the power cord from the XA2 and then plugged it back and waited for it to fullly boot and then put Harry back in and he ran fine for the rest of the show. So it looks like 2.5 and 2.7 have not fixed this issue. I guess I will try to be paitent because I really don't want to have the down-time of sending it into Toshiba to fix it.

Sony PS3(60 GB, the good one, not the Gimp'd one)
post #116 of 525 Old 12-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, using HDMI through receiver.

Have not upgraded firmware simply because I haven't had the time.
Actually, I would do it today if I knew this was the cure-all for the problem.

I'm going to call Toshiba now.
post #117 of 525 Old 12-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Update....

Tried a firmware upgrade via Ethernet. The player would not
find my router. It's strange as my Denon 3808CI found it
immediately without having to do any menu tweaks.

So I tried to burn an ISO file onto a CD. I know how to do it,
but the player would not read it.

So now I have to wait a few weeks till Toshiba gets the firmware
CDs back in stock. They will not take my machine back unless
it is updated to the latest firmware despite the fact that I argued
relentlessly that the updates are not fixing a problem that is rather
widespread.
post #118 of 525 Old 12-20-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Update....

Tried a firmware upgrade via Ethernet. The player would not
find my router. It's strange as my Denon 3808CI found it
immediately without having to do any menu tweaks.

So I tried to burn an ISO file onto a CD. I know how to do it,
but the player would not read it.

So now I have to wait a few weeks till Toshiba gets the firmware
CDs back in stock. They will not take my machine back unless
it is updated to the latest firmware despite the fact that I argued
relentlessly that the updates are not fixing a problem that is rather
widespread.

Ronald,

did you try bypassing your receiver and run hdmi straight to your tv?
post #119 of 525 Old 12-20-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Harvey View Post

I reported this problem back in October when I got my XA2 from Amazon. The work-around of not switching the HDMI to my TV until the XA2 was fully booted up and saying "No Disk" has been working for me. I have updated the firmware to 2.7 and it makes no difference, I still have to do the work-around. I threw in the new Harry Potter the other night and forgot to wait for the XA2 to say No Disk before swiching TV sources and Harry crapped out an hour into it. I tried loading Harry again with out waiting and he crapped out after 5 minutes. I unplugged the power cord from the XA2 and then plugged it back and waited for it to fullly boot and then put Harry back in and he ran fine for the rest of the show. So it looks like 2.5 and 2.7 have not fixed this issue. I guess I will try to be paitent because I really don't want to have the down-time of sending it into Toshiba to fix it.

yes, this workaround does seem to do the trick but its still annoying to have to worry about sometime like this. Has Toshiba told you this is not a hardware issue and can / will be fix in a firmware update?
post #120 of 525 Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 PM

I am just waiting to see if someone here finds out if Toshiba is going to fix it with a patch. Seems to me that a thermal sensor could have it's settings changed with a software patch.

Sony PS3(60 GB, the good one, not the Gimp'd one)
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page