XA2 OWNERS: Do you have the 1080P Power Down/ Shutdown Bug? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your XA2 have 1080P shutdowns and if so what is your config?
I do not have shutdowns. I run HDMI straight to my TV set. 92 38.17%
I do not have shutdowns. I run HDMI thru a reveiver or router. 100 41.49%
I do have shutdowns that happen in 20 minutes or less. I run HDMI straight to my TV set. 13 5.39%
I do have shutdowns that happen in 21-90 minutes. I run HDMI straight to my TV set. 7 2.90%
I do have shutdowns that happen in 20 minutes or less. I run HDMI straight to my TV set. 4 1.66%
I do have shutdowns that happen in 21-90 minutes. I run HDMI thru a reveiver or router. 25 10.37%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 525 Old 01-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

No worries. I thought I had credible information that would help other people so decided to post the information I was given. I have found the forum to be very helpful and just wanted to return the favor.

Where in SoCal are you? I was in Costa Mesa, then Lake Forest before being outsourced, and the new position forcing me to move to Texas. Really miss the weather and the beaches/palm trees, Hermosa Beach, etc! But what I paid for my postage stamp condo in Lake Forest, I could have bought a mansion here in the Dallas area! Maybe even JR's mansion LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 525 Old 01-18-2008, 02:57 PM

Liked: 11
Just purchased a Pioneer Kuro Pro-110FD. First time using a HDMI connection. Plan on going direct from my XA2 (2.7 update) to the Pioneer HDMI connection. Does this problem happen on direct connects or only if I was to first route through my processor? Thanks.
post #183 of 525 Old 01-18-2008, 04:28 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer6871 View Post

Just purchased a Pioneer Kuro Pro-110FD. First time using a HDMI connection. Plan on going direct from my XA2 (2.7 update) to the Pioneer HDMI connection. Does this problem happen on direct connects or only if I was to first route through my processor? Thanks.

I had my XA2 connected via HDMI directly into my Pioneer 6010. The "shutdown bug" happened every time I tried an HD-DVD at 1080p output. I'm now awaiting a replacement XA2 from Toshiba.
post #184 of 525 Old 01-19-2008, 06:06 PM

I was having this problem occur about five minutes into every movie I tried to watch. I read this thread and saw the work around about not selecting the input on your TV until after the player has completed loading. Now I just don't turn on my TV until the player finishes loading and I make it through every movie without any shutdowns. It sucks that the player can't work normally, but the work around really isn't that painful. I advise anyone with shut down problems to try this.
post #185 of 525 Old 01-19-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeyourself5007 View Post

I was having this problem occur about five minutes into every movie I tried to watch. I read this thread and saw the work around about not selecting the input on your TV until after the player has completed loading. Now I just don't turn on my TV until the player finishes loading and I make it through every movie without any shutdowns. It sucks that the player can't work normally, but the work around really isn't that painful. I advise anyone with shut down problems to try this.

I did try "the workaround", but unfortunately the shutdowns were still happening every time I played a HD-DVD at 1080p ...
post #186 of 525 Old 01-20-2008, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by swlee View Post

I'm now awaiting a replacement XA2 from Pioneer.

Huh?
post #187 of 525 Old 01-20-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Huh?

Sorry - I meant Toshiba ...
post #188 of 525 Old 01-20-2008, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry - I meant Toshiba ...

I know, just rattlin' your cage a little.
post #189 of 525 Old 01-22-2008, 06:59 AM

Well I voted today acknowleding that I DON'T have the Shutdown Bug. I've had my XA2 since November and I've watched numerous standard DVD's and a few HD DVD's and I've yet to experience anytype of shutdown. I have my unit directly connected to my TV via HDMI and run it at 1080p. I hope I didn't jinx myself.
post #190 of 525 Old 01-22-2008, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Firmware 2.8 is available for download. It would be interesting to see if this update might fix the shutting down when at 1080p. If anyone who has had this problem hasn't sent their unit to Toshiba and downloads the update, would you let us know if it fixes the problem? I sent my machine to them so I can't.
post #191 of 525 Old 01-23-2008, 04:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

I sent my unit for repair from the shutdown bug last week. I just received a call from Toshiba that they can't repair it, so they are replacing it. Mine was an early unit, received in Jan '07.

Alan

UPDATE: 2/9/08 - I received a brand new unit from Toshiba (Sept 07 build). I tried to play Bourne Ultimatum. The player shut down within the first 10 minutes of playing the movie. I repeated this process 5 times. Each time, the player shut off between 1 and 10 minutes after the movie started. Bad "player" karma, I guess. My wife and I ended up watching the movie in (shudders) standard def.
post #192 of 525 Old 01-24-2008, 09:48 PM

I returned my XA-2 to Toshiba on 1/2/08 - RMA'd for the "shutdown bug" (see a couple of my earlier posts above). They notified me two weeks ago that they'd be replacing it with a new XA-2. The new unit arrived today. When I pulled it out of the box, I could hear something rattling inside (sort of sounds like bits of glass ...). I went ahead and connected it to my Pioneer 6010 via HDMI. When I plugged it in, the red power light came on. When I actually turned it on, the blue power light came on and "Welcome" was displayed on the front panel. But - that's as far as it goes! There's no image being displayed on the screen (I think it should be showing the setup menu ...), and it doesn't respond to any button pushes (either on the front panel or using the remote) other than to beep with each push. The disc tray won't open, and it won't turn off other than by holding in the power button for about 15 sec. I've unplugged it several times to "reboot", but that hasn't changed anything. I guess it's back on the phone with Toshiba in the morning .... Any ideas from anyone - other than it's DOA?

I've got until Jan. 31 to return this to Amazon for a refund (I ordered it right after Thanksgiving). I was hoping this new unit would arrive problem-free so I could actually start enjoying the dozen or so HD-DVD's I've already bought (this is my only HDM player). I'll see what Toshiba has to say before I make any rash decisions, but at this point I'm tempted to just give up on the XA2 and maybe go with an A35.

I'll be glad to listen to whatever advice anyone has to offer ....

Steve
post #193 of 525 Old 01-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've got until Jan. 31 to return this to Amazon for a refund (I ordered it right after Thanksgiving). I was hoping this new unit would arrive problem-free so I could actually start enjoying the dozen or so HD-DVD's I've already bought (this is my only HDM player). I'll see what Toshiba has to say before I make any rash decisions, but at this point I'm tempted to just give up on the XA2 and maybe go with an A35.

Steve

I see you did not read my post a few above this? I spent hours with both the XA2 and the A35 watching SD DVD's to try and determine if the REON in the XA2 was really that much better (and worth that much more $$$) over the A35. I had them both hooked up at the same time, so there was just the time to switch discs in between viewing the same pictures. I could barely tell the difference. Of course, the XA2 is heavier built, and many seem to like the lit remote over the A35 remote - but then I have a Harmony 1000 so never use the factory remote anyway. Oh, and what was pretty cool, was that both accepted the same codes, so I had no need to reporgram the Harmony for either unit

Also, though sometimes things are cheaper on Amazon, is it really all that much cheaper when you add in the shipping? Or the waiting? Or the tag game you have to play if you are not home to accept your package? Or the hassles of returns or exchanges? There are still some things to be said for brick & mortor stores. You walk in, touch it, see it, walk out with it that day. Problem? Return or exchange it that day or the next. Price dropped? Walk in and 5 minutes later you got your refund. It is sometimes almost as sad as someone wasting $5+ of gas to drive way out of your way to another gas station that is only maybe .03 cheaper than the one right next door to you.
post #194 of 525 Old 01-24-2008, 11:59 PM

Well, i got my unit back from Toshiba today; thet sent me a new one. Build date is Sep 2007 and it works like a champ!!! no lockups, shutdowns nor freezing up. i upgraded to the latest firmware with no issues (2.8) as well.
it's great to have to old girl back in the house. Great customer service from where i stand.
also, if someone need a remote just PM me; i got extras!
Later,
Jufon
post #195 of 525 Old 01-25-2008, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I returned my XA-2 to Toshiba on 1/2/08 - RMA'd for the "shutdown bug" (see a couple of my earlier posts above). They notified me two weeks ago that they'd be replacing it with a new XA-2. The new unit arrived today. When I pulled it out of the box, I could hear something rattling inside (sort of sounds like bits of glass ...). I went ahead and connected it to my Pioneer 6010 via HDMI. When I plugged it in, the red power light came on. When I actually turned it on, the blue power light came on and "Welcome" was displayed on the front panel. But - that's as far as it goes! There's no image being displayed on the screen (I think it should be showing the setup menu ...), and it doesn't respond to any button pushes (either on the front panel or using the remote) other than to beep with each push. The disc tray won't open, and it won't turn off other than by holding in the power button for about 15 sec. I've unplugged it several times to "reboot", but that hasn't changed anything. I guess it's back on the phone with Toshiba in the morning .... Any ideas from anyone - other than it's DOA?

Steve

Steve I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I suggest you send it back in a get a good unit. Toshiba will take care of your and the XA2 is a great machine.

If you plan on using your HD DVD player for SDs you should the XA2 is the wast to go. If you do go the A35 route be sure the set you player at 1080i for SD DVD and 1080p24 for HD DVD.
post #196 of 525 Old 01-25-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Toshiba received my machine 1-21. I called today to check on it since I hadn't heard back from them. I was told they are still working on it. Maybe they got new motherboards in? I'm not sure why my machine is being handled differently than others who sent in their machine for the same issue. I was told they will contact Toshiba Depot who I had to return the machine to but I won't hear back on its status for 2-3 more working days. The rep. I spoke to said he would try to expedite the request to find out what they are doing with the unit but he couldn't guarantee it.
post #197 of 525 Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought an XA2 last night at BB..."OPEN BOX'.....no remote....today i`m messing with it ....i cant get to the setup menu with out the remote,,,,so i cant check f/w or change anything...i tried to program my AV reciever (DENON 3808CI) and my sony xbr4 remote,,,both with no luck.....any thoughts on my problem.......play a sd thru analog....that worked ok.......
post #198 of 525 Old 01-27-2008, 11:27 AM

buy a harmony or find a xa2 remote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngneg View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought an XA2 last night at BB..."OPEN BOX'.....no remote....today i`m messing with it ....i cant get to the setup menu with out the remote,,,,so i cant check f/w or change anything...i tried to program my AV reciever (DENON 3808CI) and my sony xbr4 remote,,,both with no luck.....any thoughts on my problem.......play a sd thru analog....that worked ok.......

post #199 of 525 Old 01-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I did not havethis bug until I installed 2.8
Its a somewhat diff bug, because it only happens when I set video to 1080/60 and Diecrt Audio off, 1080/24 is OK, or 1080/60 with Direct Audio off is OK, but with 1080/60+Direct Audio on I get a shutdown within a few minutes

I did not have this issue until 2.8
post #200 of 525 Old 01-27-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

You just confirmed why I have not updated to 2.8. Right now everything is working with 2.7 so I see no reason to update.
post #201 of 525 Old 01-27-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

I did not havethis bug until I installed 2.8
Its a somewhat diff bug, because it only happens when I set video to 1080/60 and Diecrt Audio off, 1080/24 is OK, or 1080/60 with Direct Audio off is OK, but with 1080/60+Direct Audio on I get a shutdown within a few minutes

I did not have this issue until 2.8

I just received my XA2 on Thursday.
We watched one movie and had no problems..Later I upgraded the firmware to 2.8
Tonight ,,the player kept shutting down.
After restarting it and going into the set-up screen, I noticed it switched the audio selection from 1080p to 1080i.
When I switched it back to 1080p , the player shuts down.
Leaving it on 1080i ensured the player stayed on and we were able to watch 2 movies tonight with no problems.
Also had direct audio on so that playback was in Dolby True HD,,so the audio selection didn't create any shut down problems. Just the video seems to cause the problem..

I would imagine that there must be a fix for this..besides having to send in the unit for repairs or replacement.?
A new firmware patch should correct it?

Trevor
My HomeTheater S.E.
Sonically Enhanced
post #202 of 525 Old 01-28-2008, 06:45 AM

I have the "shutdown" bug. D/Led the 2.8 firmware over the weekend and still have the "bug". Guess I'm going to have to call Tech Support and send my X2 in.
post #203 of 525 Old 01-28-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you guys try the workaround suggested earlier in this thread?
post #204 of 525 Old 01-28-2008, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I did get an email from Toshiba saying they are sending me a new HD-XA2. They do not have any new motherboards to repair the issue. I found out they do not test new units before sending them out, it's a matter of luck. As the rep. told me, "we do quality control testing on the units before they are packaged so you shouldn't have a problem with a new machine." I told her that was my expectation when I bought my 2nd XA2 only 3 weeks before. She said, "well sometimes some machines pass through in error."
I then mentioned to her some people are reporting problems with the 2.8 firmware. She said they haven't received any reports of any issues in fact she received several calls today just to let her know how happy some people were with the new firmware. I told her since I would be receiving my new DLP that will accept 1080p 24fps this afternoon, I will be checking it out and will call back if I have issues with it as others have reported on the forum.

Update: Some have reported their unit shutting down with firmware 2.8 at 1080p/24fps. Others have judder on mpeg4 discs at 1080p/24fps. My problem is the latter.
post #205 of 525 Old 01-28-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Did you guys try the workaround suggested earlier in this thread?

Turning the TV on after powering up the HD-XA2.
Not yet, however , so far I have left the resolution at 1080i.
The Reon in the Onkyo is then passing it through at 1080p.
I would be hoping a future firmware upgrade will correct the problem.
Toshiba has to do something about this.

Trevor
My HomeTheater S.E.
Sonically Enhanced
post #206 of 525 Old 02-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Hi-
I seem to have this bug when setting the XA2 to "Up to 1080p" and setting Digital Audio Out to "On"

If I set to Up to 1080p and Digital Audio Out = Off then it does not shut down.

I do not experience this issue at all when set to "Up to 1080/24".

Is this indeed the "shutdown bug?"

I am running 2.7, run through a Onkyo 605 to a Sanyo Z2000 over HDMI

I have an RMA with Toshiba and am sending it in on Monday, but i want to make sure there is not something else I can do since I have to pay for th shipping and really don't want to go without my XA2 for a couple of weeks

Perhaps I should just set Direct Digital Audio=Off when watching SD movies (thats usually the only time I switch from 1080/24 to 1080/60 and hope this gets fixed in a FW update, or is this really a HW issue that will go away with a fixed or new unit?

thanks
post #207 of 525 Old 02-02-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi-
I seem to have this bug when setting the XA2 to "Up to 1080p" and setting Digital Audio Out to "On"

If I set to Up to 1080p and Digital Audio Out = Off then it does not shut down.

I do not experience this issue at all when set to "Up to 1080/24".

Is this indeed the "shutdown bug?"

I am running 2.7, run through a Onkyo 605 to a Sanyo Z2000 over HDMI

I have an RMA with Toshiba and am sending it in on Monday, but i want to make sure there is not something else I can do since I have to pay for th shipping and really don't want to go without my XA2 for a couple of weeks

Perhaps I should just set Direct Digital Audio=Off when watching SD movies (thats usually the only time I switch from 1080/24 to 1080/60 and hope this gets fixed in a FW update, or is this really a HW issue that will go away with a fixed or new unit?

thanks

I leave my resolution at 1080p/24 all the time. It is good for SD too. I always have digital audio out on. I guess with some SD material 24p may not be as good a picture. But leaving it at this setting you wouldn't have an issue. The work-around people have posted has worked for most people but it didn't for me so I sent my 2nd unit in. (The work-around is to turn on the XA2 first then turn on your receiver or display after the XA2 is on ).
Even if the work-around did work I figured I'd rather get it taken care of now while there are still machines available since no one knows for sure if it is a hardware or software problem. Toshiba has had my unit for 2 weeks now. I was told last Monday they were sending a new unit since it can't be repaired. The paperwork still hasn't been processed to get the new one sent to me. Who knows if the new one they send will have the same issue. Since I have another XA2 I can be patient.
post #208 of 525 Old 02-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

thx I ususally leave it to 1080/24 but some SD movies cant be played at that as I'm sure you;ve noticed (first 2 Austin Power are one example)

this is what I am worried about, I dont have 2 XA2s and dont want to be without it for weeks, but am also worried they will run out of replacements

so I assume other XA2 owners dont have this problem?

I actually notcied it when I went to 2.8 and set frame rate to "Auto" which basically sets you to 1080/60, thats when I noticed this issue, I did not have it before

When I rolled back to 2.7 though I still had the issue

also - I have to turn my display on first (Sany Z2000 projetcor) else the XA2 will not output 1080/24 for some reason

can you let me know when you get your XA2 back if this went away for you?
post #209 of 525 Old 02-02-2008, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thx I ususally leave it to 1080/24 but some SD movies cant be played at that as I'm sure you;ve noticed (first 2 Austin Power are one example)

this is what I am worried about, I dont have 2 XA2s and dont want to be without it for weeks, but am also worried they will run out of replacements

so I assume other XA2 owners dont have this problem?

I actually notcied it when I went to 2.8 and set frame rate to "Auto" which basically sets you to 1080/60, thats when I noticed this issue, I did not have it before

When I rolled back to 2.7 though I still had the issue

also - I have to turn my display on first (Sany Z2000 projetcor) else the XA2 will not output 1080/24 for some reason

can you let me know when you get your XA2 back if this went away for you?

Other people do have this problem but are using the work-around. Check out the beginning of this thread.
I was told the motherboard needed replacement but they are just sending out new machines as per Toshiba policy. We just don't know if a future firmware update can remedy the problem.
I was told the paperwork can take 7-10 days once they decide it isn't repairable, takes 3 days to decide it can't be repaired (although with my unit it took 7 days to determine it). They are supposed to send the new unit 2 day fed ex but who knows if they will. I will let you know when I do receive the new unit.
post #210 of 525 Old 02-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Okay, so I got an XA2, all works well, the upconversion is excellent on SD. I updated to FW 2.8 as soon as I got it and I noticed something odd : When it is set to 1080p/24fps "forced" mode it plays my movies fine, but there are tiny, little lines that pop up every once and awhile, like, pixels or colored "scratches" across the upper part of the screen. I thought maybe my display wasnt a good one for displaying 1080p/24fps (LNT4665) so I changed it to 1080p, and as soon as the disc is read, the XA2 IMMEDIATELY powers down and turns off, like 1080p is an unrecognized format. It will only allow 1080p when it is set to 1080p/24fps forced mode. When I set it to 1080i all works fine and no lines appear either. So, my choices seem to be 1080p/24fps and live with the occasional lines appearing, or 1080i everything okay. My problem appears similar to those here....should I call Toshiba or Overstock? Im still within my 30 day return at Overstock and I don't want to have to pay to send it in.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page