Venturer SHD7000 End User Reports and Owner's Thread! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 417 Old 01-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My guess is Venturer invested a pretty penny branding, and distributing the HD DVD rebadged Toshiba player.

They aren't a big company, any thoughts on what the Warner announcement might do to them?

They would take a huge hit if the HD DVD players stocked in every wal mart got shipped back to them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 417 Old 01-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz_fan View Post

This is strange. I watched the Nannie Diaries last night on my Toshiba HD-A2, and that movie looked horrible, just as you described. I've never had any issues playing standard DVDs on the A2 until this one, so I searched the site and found this thread. Perhaps there is something about that movie, but the Venturer unit isn't the only one to have issues with that move.

I was just able to confirm crappiness on a single disc. I've got my daughter's favorite demo disc that contains clips from a pile of cartoons. Most of them look and sound spectacular on the Venturer. But the "Bug's Life" clip absolutely sucked. Pixels and artifacts flying everywhere. Other Disney stuff was great though. No idea what would cause this, but it's not likely a shortcoming of the player. Just media funkiness.

Built on a tight budget: The Cheap Seats Cinema
post #273 of 417 Old 01-12-2008, 01:07 PM

I'm royally pissed right now. These units used to have an HDMI cable included and were advertised as such. Now they include nothing except for remote and power cord. NOT EVEN COMPOSITE OR RCA cables!!!!

I hate companies that pull this crap, it is clearly intentional. Searching the box, there is no indication of what the contents included are until you look in the manual carefully (its like it is hidden) and see 3 sentences devoted.

I got mine at walmart Ottawa, Ontario and movies included now are Perfect Storm and Firewall.

If you're buying this instead of an A3 because you think it comes with an HDMI cable, double check the box now.
post #274 of 417 Old 01-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Styles View Post

I'm royally pissed right now. These units used to have an HDMI cable included and were advertised as such. Now they include nothing except for remote and power cord. NOT EVEN COMPOSITE OR RCA cables!!!!

I hate companies that pull this crap, it is clearly intentional. Searching the box, there is no indication of what the contents included are until you look in the manual carefully (its like it is hidden) and see 3 sentences devoted.

I got mine at walmart Ottawa, Ontario and movies included now are Perfect Storm and Firewall.

If you're buying this instead of an A3 because you think it comes with an HDMI cable, double check the box now.

wow... so you're out about $10. You still saved $150 over the A3.

post #275 of 417 Old 01-12-2008, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:

I'm royally pissed right now. These units used to have an HDMI cable included and were advertised as such.

ROTFLMAO !!! $10 cable... what a big deal. Well, if it IS a big deal, then you shouldn't be having home theatre as a hobby then.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #276 of 417 Old 01-13-2008, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 383
besides, being "royally PO'd" for a $10.. uhm $15 cable just because "it used to be included" is completely messed up. I guess I have to be "royally pissed" too because they used to include demo video tape when I buy a VCR.

[sarcasm]I'm now going to boycott every video playback unit manufacturers because they no longer include those demo video although it's completely worthless and pointless. I want free stuff. No free stuff = royally pissed.[/sarcasm]

bwa ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #277 of 417 Old 01-13-2008, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've bought six players so far (one en route) and only the very first officially and actually contained an HDMI cable (pretty cheap, but it works .) The two BD players listed it as an "optional" accessory, and the others didn't mention it at all. The original I received is now coiled up with a twist-tie as a spare !
post #278 of 417 Old 02-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

I got a letter back from the "Ultimate HD Offer" telling me I submitted an invalid product barcode. Sh!t. No free DVDs for me

post #279 of 417 Old 02-10-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:

lol,man VHS is what you wantman they didnt even include a toothpick for cleanin my teeth after id used them to pull the tape off the box....damn
post #280 of 417 Old 03-05-2008, 08:42 PM

For any of those interested in reading this... Walmart Canada now selling this unit for $69.97, with 2 free DVD's.
Was checking Toshiba's website too, and see that for the A3, there is firmware that is now version 2.0... anyone using this? Just wanted to confirm that it is the firmware upgrade for the HD-A3 that we use???

Thanks
post #281 of 417 Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatteis View Post

For any of those interested in reading this... Walmart Canada now selling this unit for $69.97, with 2 free DVD's.
Was checking Toshiba's website too, and see that for the A3, there is firmware that is now version 2.0... anyone using this? Just wanted to confirm that it is the firmware upgrade for the HD-A3 that we use???

Thanks

Yes there is a firmware 2.0 and it goes fine with the Venturer and the A3. (YLMV).
post #282 of 417 Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 AM

On my tv this player plays everything in red. Which Toshiba firmware is it safe to flash it to. Does this player play mp3. My Venture is playing everything in red over hdmi.
Thanks
post #283 of 417 Old 03-07-2008, 12:21 PM

I sent out a $10 cheque for the 5 free HD DVD's on Jan.20th. I noticed that the cheque was actually cashed on Feb.29th. I'm hoping that means the movies are in the mail...
post #284 of 417 Old 03-17-2008, 12:27 PM

My Venturer player has taken to disply this whenever I put in an SD-DVD:

"High Definition is unavailable with this disc. Resolution has been reset to 480i"

Is that normal for a non-HD-Disc? Does it mean that it is not upconverting it, or is it just reminding me that it is not an HD-disc?

"If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"
post #285 of 417 Old 03-17-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Sullivan View Post

My Venturer player has taken to disply this whenever I put in an SD-DVD:

"High Definition is unavailable with this disc. Resolution has been reset to 480i"

Is that normal for a non-HD-Disc? Does it mean that it is not upconverting it, or is it just reminding me that it is not an HD-disc?

If you're using component video output from the player it will not upconvert standard DVD's (use the hdmi output and it will upconvert).
post #286 of 417 Old 04-09-2008, 11:25 AM

Has anyone returned their unit to Walmart? I saw an article about Walmart giving full refunds for anyone who returns their player with the original receipt, packaging not required. I was going to head over tomorrow, just seeing if anyone has tried it yet.

post #287 of 417 Old 04-09-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s8n666 View Post

Has anyone returned their unit to Walmart? I saw an article about Walmart giving full refunds for anyone who returns their player with the original receipt, packaging not required. I was going to head over tomorrow, just seeing if anyone has tried it yet.

What's the UPC on the receipt? See if it matches one of the 8 players listed in the .pdf file.
post #288 of 417 Old 04-11-2008, 03:01 AM

Well, I returned the unit to the Walmart in Ancaster, ON. They had no idea what I was talking about, but after several phone calls, they relented and refunded my money. Goodbye Venturer SHD7000 thread!!

post #289 of 417 Old 04-11-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s8n666 View Post

Well, I returned the unit to the Walmart in Ancaster, ON. They had no idea what I was talking about, but after several phone calls, they relented and refunded my money. Goodbye Venturer SHD7000 thread!!

I returned my unit to Wal-Mart in Vacaville, CA without any problems. I had the box, owners manual and the receipt. I went in with a copy of the pdf file and was ready "to do battle". Much to my surprise...no hassles what so ever.
post #290 of 417 Old 04-18-2008, 05:57 PM

Has anyone had any freezing issues with Warner disks?

I have played about a dozen Universal and Paramount movies with no problems, but both of the Warner disks I have tried (Brave One & Departed) freeze at around an hour in. Fast forwarding about 10 seconds corrects the freezing. I'm going to try the other Warner disks I have (Blade Runner, 2001, 300) and see if they freeze also
post #291 of 417 Old 04-28-2008, 09:16 AM

I returned mine yesturday. Got my $199.99 back I paid in November. Times running out for anyone else looking to return theres. April 30th - Wed is the last day.
post #292 of 417 Old 04-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

I'll be turning the house upside-down tonite looking for my receipt. Now what to do with the movies... Hmmm... eBay I guess.

post #293 of 417 Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet77 View Post

I returned mine yesturday. Got my $199.99 back I paid in November. Times running out for anyone else looking to return theres. April 30th - Wed is the last day.

TTT last day to return
post #294 of 417 Old 05-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

They took mine back... Took my $200 and ran.

post #295 of 417 Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 AM

Here is a thought (for those of you who like to take advantage of situations),

Why not take them back for $ 199 and then buy back a BRAND NEW one for $ 69.99 (and a NEW 1 year warranty) and get the 2 free movies again which you can sell on Ebay for $ 15 to $ 20.

At the very least its a great upconverting player. I did not even get into HD DVD until AFTER the demise. I got one of these new for $ 69 to act as a backup and put it in the Master Bedroom hooked up to a 42" plasma.

** PS: While maybe not quite ethical, NO ONE forced Wallmart to make the refund offer in the first place, and since they are STILL selling these units at a new price point..... Well its up to you)

Overheard at a Best Buy....

"So these in the red boxes work with red lasers and the one's in the blue boxes work with blue lasers.... Oh that makes sense. Now I understand"
post #296 of 417 Old 05-03-2008, 11:59 AM

I see what your saying. But I wasent impressed by the Venturer much from the start. Personally I would rather use my standard jvc dvd player to watch regular movies. The venturer load times were almost unbearable for myself.

The 2 free movies wont fetch anything close to $20 on ebay. I already sold mine. Got $6 for one and $8 for the other (+/- s&h).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaPhil View Post

Here is a thought (for those of you who like to take advantage of situations),

Why not take them back for $ 199 and then buy back a BRAND NEW one for $ 69.99 (and a NEW 1 year warranty) and get the 2 free movies again which you can sell on Ebay for $ 15 to $ 20.

At the very least its a great upconverting player. I did not even get into HD DVD until AFTER the demise. I got one of these new for $ 69 to act as a backup and put it in the Master Bedroom hooked up to a 42" plasma.

** PS: While maybe not quite ethical, NO ONE forced Wallmart to make the refund offer in the first place, and since they are STILL selling these units at a new price point..... Well its up to you)

post #297 of 417 Old 06-13-2008, 06:20 AM

This thread is pretty much dead, but I thought I would post this for anyone who may still be wondering about this and concerned about future support.

I picked up a Venturer unit for $ 69 at a Wallmart a couple of months ago to act as a simple backup. It is now setup in my master bedroom.

I updated its firmware yesterday using a CDR burned with a Toshiba A3 version 2.0 firmware update. The Venturer was an Oct. 2007 build, with firmware 1.1.1 from the factory.

The Venturer took the new Toshiba update perfectly and is working well.

Tried it with a few Star Trek episodes as well as 2 movies. No problems of any kind.

NOTE: The Toshiba firmware patches update the unit without affecting the opening logo on the screen. IE: It still just displays the HD-DVD logo on its own without Toshiba's logo being added.

Overheard at a Best Buy....

"So these in the red boxes work with red lasers and the one's in the blue boxes work with blue lasers.... Oh that makes sense. Now I understand"
post #298 of 417 Old 07-09-2008, 03:02 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

They are on sale at Walmart for $49.99 CDN now. That's cheaper than any DVD player that upconverts. And I have about 30 HD-DVD discs. So that works out for me! Plus, it has a HD-DVD drive in it,and a motorola shark processor. I expect the software might be upgradable. Anyone know what drive is in there?

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #299 of 417 Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My Venturer is still in the box, I bought it this week @ WalMart for $49.00 this is my back up HD DVD player, however I kinda regret only buying 1 should have bought 2 but I want to try to find another model just in case. I also have the A3.

Denon 2809CI
C: Def Tech - CLR2002
F: Def Tech - BP2002TL
S: Def Tech - BP1.2X
SB: Def Tech - PM400
Sub: Still looking
post #300 of 417 Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 AM

I got my Venturer last week at Walmart for $49.98, hooked it up and, when I turned it on using it's remote, my HD-A3 also came on. Both remotes work on both players. I also upgraded the Venturer firmware, which was 1.1, to 1.3 using a download from Toshiba Canada's website. So far, I'm quite pleased with the Venturer.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page