Originally Posted by Electone View Post

Excellent...
post #393 of 417 Old 11-01-2008, 03:40 AM
etp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 4.0 on one and the original on the other. No problems yet with either FW.

ETP
post #394 of 417 Old 11-14-2008, 11:26 AM

Has anyone verified if the Toshiba update discs will work in this unit? I used an earlier version and thought that it updated too quickly (I walked away and it ended). Now I tried the 4.0 HD-A3 update disc. It says that it has 5 steps but it ends after 4 and pops the disc out. It also was supposed to last aprox 15 minutes but lasted less than 5. Also the On/Standby LED dosen't flash from red to blue for an extended period of time in step 5 like the directions explain. When I called Venturer they said that it was the same as the Toshiba but NOT to use the Toshiba update and that they didn't have an update. Also, I'm now getting freezes with brand new discs that I didn't get before. Sorry for the double post!
post #395 of 417 Old 11-14-2008, 12:16 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticat View Post

Has anyone verified if the Toshiba update discs will work in this unit? I used an earlier version and thought that it updated too quickly (I walked away and it ended). Now I tried the 4.0 HD-A3 update disc. It says that it has 5 steps but it ends after 4 and pops the disc out. It also was supposed to last aprox 15 minutes but lasted less than 5. Also the On/Standby LED dosen't flash from red to blue for an extended period of time in step 5 like the directions explain. When I called Venturer they said that it was the same as the Toshiba but NOT to use the Toshiba update and that they didn't have an update. Also, I'm now getting freezes with brand new discs that I didn't get before. Sorry for the double post!

Exact same thing happens when updating the Toshiba A3...I updated both with the same disc with great success...
post #396 of 417 Old 11-14-2008, 12:49 PM
etp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticat View Post

Mine works fine, suggest you go back to another version if it is not disk related.

ETP
post #397 of 417 Old 11-14-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Exact same thing happens when updating the Toshiba A3...I updated both with the same disc with great success...

Good to know! Thanks, I have 2 more 7000s to do I wasn't sure if I should update them or not. Is there any way to verify what version the unit has installed? Are you having any freezing issues?
post #398 of 417 Old 12-31-2008, 11:39 AM

finally had the chance to unwrap my player after wooting it back in Oct (just got my LG70 HDTV last week). Glad that I didn't have too many problems with it. I only encountered the freeze skip problem with 1 HDDVD Stardust (after viewing about 15). I just fast forwarded to that scene and a lil bit over and it seemed to continue just fine.

Noticed a huge difference when I got my HDMI cables in the mail last night. However, noticed a lot of pixel effects on HDDVD & DVD combo disks (such as 300). At first I thought it was a particular disk but eventually I realized it after playing multiple combo disks. As a result the normal HDDVD disks looked way better. So I am going to try a firmware update to 4.0 and see if I notice any difference.
post #399 of 417 Old 12-31-2008, 12:10 PM
etp

4.0 is fine /// jump in man

ETP
post #400 of 417 Old 01-30-2009, 03:35 AM
etp

Any failures yet on this or the A2?

ETP
post #401 of 417 Old 02-06-2009, 04:18 AM

Just bought a Venturer SHD7001 model here in Hong Kong. Brand new in box, sealed with 2 movies (Troy, Hulk), approximately US$63.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #402 of 417 Old 02-06-2009, 04:44 AM
etp

Wow, so there are still models floating around the planet somewhere.

ETP
post #403 of 417 Old 02-06-2009, 04:45 AM
etp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugzpodder View Post

finally had the chance to unwrap my player after wooting it back in Oct (just got my LG70 HDTV last week). Glad that I didn't have too many problems with it. I only encountered the freeze skip problem with 1 HDDVD Stardust (after viewing about 15). I just fast forwarded to that scene and a lil bit over and it seemed to continue just fine.

Noticed a huge difference when I got my HDMI cables in the mail last night. However, noticed a lot of pixel effects on HDDVD & DVD combo disks (such as 300). At first I thought it was a particular disk but eventually I realized it after playing multiple combo disks. As a result the normal HDDVD disks looked way better. So I am going to try a firmware update to 4.0 and see if I notice any difference.

Noticed that on my A2 also. It is disk related and not your player. Seems the quality of the dual sided disks is very poor.

ETP
post #404 of 417 Old 02-07-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etp View Post

Wow, so there are still models floating around the planet somewhere.

Ya the store I bought it from had at least 10 in a stack behind the counter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #405 of 417 Old 02-12-2009, 07:49 PM

Hi there,

I seem to have run into a small snag. When I first got it, I initially connected the player directly to my samsung dlp tv via a HDMI-to-DVI cable and things were hunky dory. I then bought a marantz sr6002 receiver which has HDMI inputs and outputs, and when I route the signal through it, the tv won't display a picture. To my untrained eyes it looks like the player and the tv can't get an HDMI handshake going anymore: the player's HDMI indicator lights up for an instant every few seconds, and when it does that, the tv briefly displays a "not supported mode" message, then resumes its "no signal found" banner. Anyone run into that? If so, how'd you set up the receiver to get around the problem? Mind you, as soon as I connect the player directly to the tv, video plays just fine.

A few more questions, while I'm at it:

- under what circumstances should I get video signal out of the component output of the player? i.e. does a presence of a plugged-in HDMI cable matter? does it matter whether I'm playing a standard DVD disk vs. HD DVD? does the firmware matter?

- I tried burning the various revs of the firmware to CDs, but they all abort with an error essentially amounting to "bad image". Ideas?

Thanks in advance
post #406 of 417 Old 03-24-2009, 11:15 AM

Just to confirm, better safe than sorry. It is fine to use Toshiba's HD-A3/HD-D3 firmware 4.0 update disc they sent for that model with this?

I tried contacting Toshiba and they stated they cannot guarantee or recommend that you use a Toshiba firmware upgrade in your unit and to contact Venturer instead but I have the 4.0 update disc for the HD-A3/HD-D3 already if that works perfectly for this.
post #407 of 417 Old 03-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abintra View Post

Just to confirm, better safe than sorry. It is fine to use Toshiba's HD-A3/HD-D3 firmware 4.0 update disc they sent for that model with this?

I tried contacting Toshiba and they stated they cannot guarantee or recommend that you use a Toshiba firmware upgrade in your unit and to contact Venturer instead but I have the 4.0 update disc for the HD-A3/HD-D3 already if that works perfectly for this.

I can confirm that I have successfully updated my Venturer with the Toshiba 4.0 firmware.
post #408 of 417 Old 07-16-2009, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just bought one of these from a eBay seller. I did the 1.3 firmware upgrade with a CD. I was having trouble getting the network connection to work before doing the 1.3 upgrade. It may have been some incorrect setting. With 1.3 installed the network and online upgrade now worked. I did the online upgrade and ended up at 4.0. I'm using it with a CRT projector connected component thru a Extron CVC200 transcoder. I've only watched a couple movies on it.
post #409 of 417 Old 07-20-2009, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the report
post #410 of 417 Old 06-22-2011, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I know people aren't using their HD-DVD players much anymore... but I was given one of these by a friend without the remote. The unit works and plays HD-DVD's fine, but there's no real way to control it.

I have a Marantz receiver with its universal remote. Does anyone have any idea which manufacturer's remote code I should use to program the remote for this unit? Would it work if I programmed the remote like it was controlling an "RCA DVD player"? "Toshiba DVD player"?

Any guidance would be awesome, but I'm not expecting answers
post #411 of 417 Old 06-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitagarwal View Post

I know people aren't using their HD-DVD players much anymore... but I was given one of these by a friend without the remote. The unit works and plays HD-DVD's fine, but there's no real way to control it.

I have a Marantz receiver with its universal remote. Does anyone have any idea which manufacturer's remote code I should use to program the remote for this unit? Would it work if I programmed the remote like it was controlling an "RCA DVD player"? "Toshiba DVD player"?

if all else fails you could buy a universal remote like a harmony which will have the hd-dvd codes in their data base as well as the marantz code to operate your whole system.i may be suggesting something you have already considered-but just in case i sent my 2 cents worth.i also looked in my denon avr manuel for a venturer code and it lists number #30790 as the only code but its listed under dvd and does not mention hd-dvd for toshiba or venturer.you might give the vent.code a shot if it doesnt pose a problem with your overall operation.hope you get a quick solution!
post #412 of 417 Old 06-22-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjitalian View Post

if all else fails you could buy a universal remote like a harmony which will have the hd-dvd codes in their data base as well as the marantz code to operate your whole system.i may be suggesting something you have already considered-but just in case i sent my 2 cents worth.i also looked in my denon avr manuel for a venturer code and it lists number #30790 as the only code but its listed under dvd and does not mention hd-dvd for toshiba or venturer.you might give the vent.code a shot if it doesnt pose a problem with your overall operation.hope you get a quick solution!

Hey, thanks so much for the feedback. Unfortunately I wasn't able to use your code because my remote uses a 4-digit code instead of 5 digits. It did give me the idea to look at the codes from other more-recent Marantz devices, but I found that the codes didn't overlap with my instruction manual.

I have been considering the Harmony, but other than for the HD-DVD I don't have any real need for a new or different remote. Since I got the player and movies for free, I'd like to avoid investing any money into this obsolete technology if possible, especially since I have a Blu-ray player and a significant BD collection.
post #413 of 417 Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 PM

Liked: 14
I've always been annoyed at electronics that don't let you control everything from the unit itself, so if you break or lose the remote you've lost access to many functions.

All the Toshiba HD-DVD players (and the RCA, which was a rebadged Toshiba A1) used the same remote codes, maybe the Venturer player does too- I know it used the same drive as the A3 series players.
post #414 of 417 Old 06-23-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitagarwal View Post

If you can find a code for the Toshiba A3, it should work with the Venturer. My A3 remote is interchangeable with my Venturer remote; i.e. both remotes will work with both the Toshiba A3 and the Venturer SHD7000. Hope this helps.
post #415 of 417 Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSkerry View Post
If you can find a code for the Toshiba A3, it should work with the Venturer. My A3 remote is interchangeable with my Venturer remote; i.e. both remotes will work with both the Toshiba A3 and the Venturer SHD7000. Hope this helps.
Perfect! This is the answer I've been looking for.

Now I wonder if I could badger Marantz into giving me a code for the A3... hrm...
post #416 of 417 Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 PM

Liked: 14
The A1 and A2 (and A20, A30 and A35) all use the same remote, so just look for any code that says "Toshiba HD-DVD" and you'll be good to go. (Reason why I don't bother with universal remotes, it's really too much trouble to get them to do everything the original remotes will do.)
post #417 of 417 Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

The A1 and A2 (and A20, A30 and A35) all use the same remote, so just look for any code that says "Toshiba HD-DVD" and you'll be good to go. (Reason why I don't bother with universal remotes, it's really too much trouble to get them to do everything the original remotes will do.)

Well, I ended up getting a Harmony 628 from the same friend who gave me the HD-DVD player. I was able to load a proper Venturer patch into it and it works great! .... except that I can't figure out how to get it into the setup menus to change from 720 to 1080!

You're right, even with the smartest of universal remotes (Harmony) it seems you can't do everything. Ah well...
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page