Venturer SHD7000 End User Reports and Owner's Thread! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 417 Old 11-30-2007, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well!! i've pre ordered the Blade Runner HD DVD set so my spouse better notice all those walmart flyers that happen to in every room

It's all about the sound!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 417 Old 11-30-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I guess then it is like the cheap razor and the expensive razor blades...I think I paid $7 for my razor, but every few months, I pay $35 at Cost Co for replacement blades...

The flaw in that analogy is that you can't rent razor blades (at least, I would strongly caution against doing so ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

The SDH 7000 is already being sold at the US based walmart.com , and brick and mortar Canadian and apparently now US Wal-Marts.

Hmmm...guess I should have added more 's after my post.

Also, it's "SHD," not "SDH." Probably a typo, I know, but we still have people referring to this player as the "Ventura."
post #93 of 417 Old 11-30-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post

Personally, I've been trying to stay out of the format war because of cost. I think with HD DVD players coming down in price to be 1/2 of a BD player, it just may tip the scales. I know there are lots of people like me who are waiting until this shakes out until committing to a format, but for <$200 I'll likely be jumping onto the HD DVD bandwagon.

I'll admit tho, when I saw Venturer HD DVD player in the Wal-Mart flyer, my initial reaction was "yeah, right, watch 3 movies and it's toast". I came here for some perspective and hearing that it's basically an A3 with different pants on.... hell.. I'm in!

Well, and think of it this way. You are helping to shake out the format war by taking a side. If you don't take a side, then neither side grows.

Price is what will sell these formats. I said this last year and people scoffed at me for it. And now it's playing out that way. Price price price.
post #94 of 417 Old 11-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Happy to report that my local Wally World had 4 in stock when I walked in tonight....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mullis View Post

Well, and think of it this way. You are helping to shake out the format war by taking a side. If you don't take a side, then neither side grows.

Price is what will sell these formats. I said this last year and people scoffed at me for it. And now it's playing out that way. Price price price.

... and sad to report they still had 4 when I left. I hate wanting stuff before Christmas.

Built on a tight budget: The Cheap Seats Cinema
post #95 of 417 Old 12-02-2007, 12:36 AM

Bought mine 2day @ my local Walmart in Ontario. Had 2 I walked off with 1 of em. Same movies as every 1 else got. Perfect Storm and the other 1. I already had purachsed Planet Earth. Cant wait to watch it.
post #96 of 417 Old 12-02-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstar79 View Post

Well!! i've pre ordered the Blade Runner HD DVD set so my spouse better notice all those walmart flyers that happen to in every room

Nice Spouse
I bought the player and leaving all the hints about the Blade Runner HD DVD around....

Long Live The Gorn!
post #97 of 417 Old 12-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

I just picked on up. Went a few days ago, they had 4, went back the next day they were gone. Was in Wally-World tonite and took a peek. They had another 4. Now they're down to 3.
Got Perfect Storm and Rumor Has It in the box. Also bought Italian Job, but I have a question. The back doesn't report an aspect ratio and the sticker thingy on top of the HD DVD says "Italian Job SCE '03" What is SCE? Some sort of Standard Cinema Edition or something. I want to be sure this sucker's at least 16:9 before I open it.

post #98 of 417 Old 12-03-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just picked on up. Went a few days ago, they had 4, went back the next day they were gone. Was in Wally-World tonite and took a peek. They had another 4. Now they're down to 3.
Got Perfect Storm and Rumor Has It in the box. Also bought Italian Job, but I have a question. The back doesn't report an aspect ratio and the sticker thingy on top of the HD DVD says "Italian Job SCE '03" What is SCE? Some sort of Standard Cinema Edition or something. I want to be sure this sucker's at least 16:9 before I open it.

Special
Collector's
Edition
post #99 of 417 Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also bought Italian Job, but I have a question. The back doesn't report an aspect ratio and the sticker thingy on top of the HD DVD says "Italian Job SCE '03" What is SCE? Some sort of Standard Cinema Edition or something. I want to be sure this sucker's at least 16:9 before I open it.

2.35:1

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/122/italianjob2003.html
post #100 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Walmart now lists the Venturer SHD7000 for $189.98 fyi.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7942216
post #101 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 03:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post

Walmart now lists the Venturer SHD7000 for $189.98 fyi.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7942216

$57.30 or almost $60 less than a Toshiba HD A2 on that site. ($247.28)

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #102 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 03:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Also, it's "SHD," not "SDH." Probably a typo, I know, but we still have people referring to this player as the "Ventura."

corrected

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #103 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks! The article actually says 2.40:1. Here's a different question... I'm guessing that 90% of HD DVDs will be in WS, since they're made for HD TV's, which are typically 16:9 anyway. I would further deduce that HD DVDs won't be offered in a Standard AND Wide Screen editions, like current SD DVD offerings. Which leaves the question... how much Standard Screen material is out there for HD DVD that we should worry about?

post #104 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 08:09 AM

just bought one at my local downtown toronto mall. W-M had about 30 of 'em
post #105 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcluhanprophecy View Post

just bought one at my local downtown toronto mall. W-M had about 30 of 'em

What mall?

I'm trying to find the closet Wally world to me in Newmarket that has them. If anyone knows, let me know.
post #106 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Yonexsp, the Wally in woodbridge at HWY # 7 near Jane had 15 of them as of Saturday!

Paul
post #107 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! The article actually says 2.40:1. Here's a different question... I'm guessing that 90% of HD DVDs will be in WS, since they're made for HD TV's, which are typically 16:9 anyway. I would further deduce that HD DVDs won't be offered in a Standard AND Wide Screen editions, like current SD DVD offerings. Which leaves the question... how much Standard Screen material is out there for HD DVD that we should worry about?

Worry? Sometimes it's good to have 4:3 material. eg. Star Trek.
post #108 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mullis View Post

Exactly. A cubemate of mine just got his first HD TV. Got 720 because 1080 was too expensive. $200 dollars too expensive. Wide acceptance of non essential products is almost always price driven.

Jerry the HT Nut
post #109 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut View Post

Exactly. A cubemate of mine just got his first HD TV. Got 720 because 1080 was too expensive. $200 dollars too expensive. Wide acceptance of non essential products is almost always price driven.

Perhaps, but take a look at this graph:

post #110 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 12:22 PM

To all the new Venturer owners...

If you get a chance, email Toshiba asking them to include the Venturer in their "Perfect Offer - 5 free HD-DVDs" promotion.

Blu-ray has a similar free disc promotion to which they add new players as they hit the market, so hopefully we can persuade Toshiba to do the same (the Xbox add-on is part of this offer, so it's not 100% exclusive to Toshiba standalone units).

Takes a minute or two to send them an email... worse case, nothing comes from it, best case: 5 more discs in your collection for free... can't hurt to try, right?

Cheers.
post #111 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

On a larger HDTV, 4:3 material displayed in its OAR in the center of the screen with smaller side pillarbars is generally not as distracting as 16:9 material on a 4:3 smaller screen with top and bottom bars.

You tend to focus on the center of the screen and with a larger screen its less of a deal to most people.

Don't worry about it, enjoy it, as you are seeing all the image that is available. Why crop or zoom it to fill your display?

follow me on Twitter
post #112 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 01:53 PM

here is some pictures of the inside didnt see them up here but sorry if they have been allready posted
camera isnt the greatest

post #113 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

So what is the $336,964.51 on the note pad in the last shot?

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. ~ Henry David Thoreau
post #114 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 02:20 PM

paycheck
post #115 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

On a larger HDTV, 4:3 material displayed in its OAR in the center of the screen with smaller side pillarbars is generally not as distracting as 16:9 material on a 4:3 smaller screen with top and bottom bars.

You tend to focus on the center of the screen and with a larger screen its less of a deal to most people.

Don't worry about it, enjoy it, as you are seeing all the image that is available. Why crop or zoom it to fill your display?

Yeah, I get the bars on the sides. yet another format that doesn't use my huge screen... guess I need to make it bigger to compensate!

post #116 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

If you get a chance, email Toshiba asking them to include the Venturer in their "Perfect Offer - 5 free HD-DVDs" promotion.

I just sent them this:
Quote:

With the recent release of the new Venturer SHD7000, it has come to my attention that this HD DVD player is not included in the "Perfect Offer - 5 free HD-DVDs" with the purchase of a HD DVD Player. I've already bought the player, but would like Toshiba to consder extending the promotion to include the Venturer SHD7000 (which contains all Toshiba parts and is essentially the same unit as the A3). I look forward to taking advantage of this spectacular offer. Help your consumers crush BluRay by saturating the market with HD DVD players AND material.

post #117 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

post #118 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 03:42 PM

right down to the tape holding down those wires!! and i wonder if there's anything written under that little bar code sticker that probably voids the warranty if removed

It's all about the sound!
post #119 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

The Venturer above is identical.

Hmm...I wonder if this means that Venturer is just taking a smaller profit cut in these machines or if Toshiba is kicking in a few bucks in these units to make it appear that there's a price drop.
post #120 of 417 Old 12-04-2007, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedGord View Post

Hmm...I wonder if this means that Venturer is just taking a smaller profit cut in these machines or if Toshiba is kicking in a few bucks in these units to make it appear that there's a price drop.

Toshiba kicking in a few bucks?!

Venturer is basically riding Toshiba's coattails on this one. Seen any Venturer ads on TV? That's one place the savings is coming from.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page