post #181 of 417 Old 12-09-2007, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post

I get the feeling from the triple posting that even if I had calibrated at this point, I would have done it wrong by Mr. 5000+ posts standards. Why the hell are you breaking my balls? All the posts you quoted were a day apart. If I'd had a week to get my sh!t together, had still not calibrated and was still bitching about poor quality, then by all means bring the flames. My first post was initial 'out of the box' reaction, complete with a big caveat. The other posts were responding to questions.

Now, to get back on topic, I have calibrated, watched Transformers (adjusted source audio output as well) and was pretty impressed. I still need another round of tweaks to both display and audio calibrations, and I have yet to compare apples to apples between up-conversions. I need to play more, but between my wife, 4 year-old and 2 month-old daughters, time is limited.

On the calibration topic, I just used the basic AVIA disk. I'm no calibration pro as this is my first Home Theatre. I'm sure with more experience and knowledge, I'll get better performance out of all my sources.

Since the existing settings when you install the player could be anywhere relative to the actual needs of the player, the initial impressions (outside of cosmetic and operational considerations) really aren't informative, ie aren't useful. The most likely result will be to cause potential buyers to be afraid there is a problem -- well, yes there is, it's called lack of calibration. You can tell from the responses you received that many were trying to problem solve, when it was not yet ascertained there was a problem TO be solved. That's a normal reaction.

It never makes sense to discuss picture qualities before calibrating, since the results end up typically being only somewhat related to the actual capability of the player. In any case, having calibrated, you are now getting accurate results -- and that is what is helpful and informative to others. Congratulations on your results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 417 Old 12-09-2007, 09:08 PM

Liked: 10
so people keep talking calibrating is there certain settings that should be changed on this HDDVD player?

using it with a Samsung LNT4661F
post #183 of 417 Old 12-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post

so people keep talking calibrating is there certain settings that should be changed on this HDDVD player?

using it with a Samsung LNT4661F

Sorry to make an example of you, Silverfire, but I wanted to point out your post to TrevorS. I believe this somewhat contradicts your statement of uncalibrated reactions being of little use. Many end users are unaware that any adjustments are necessary. Now, I say 'somewhat contradicts' because you are correct in your assessment that comments on performance probably are best left until the display is calibrated. I realize that now, but...

On a positive note, the tiny uproar my un-calibrated reaction started has at least made end-users reading this thread aware that calibrations to your video display are necessary to get peak performance from the player.

Now, Silverfire, to answer your question, the settings will be on your display (TV, Projector, etc). Using a calibration disc, such as AVIA (there are others, I just know of this one) you can adjust contrast, brightness, color, tint, sharpness etc to get a standardized picture. There's way more to it than just that, but I'm still learning too. I believe you can get a disc at pretty much any place that sells HD displays.

Built on a tight budget: The Cheap Seats Cinema
post #184 of 417 Old 12-10-2007, 10:40 PM

I bought my Venturer a few weeks ago, no complaints with HD quality. My big complaint is upconverting regular dvds. I just finally got my hdmi cable and ran it from the venturer to my panny 42pz77u. Threw in a regular dvd and the quality was terrible! Blotchy all over colors were off! Like I said, everythings great with hd-dvds, but man.. what a dissapointment with the standard dvds.
post #185 of 417 Old 12-10-2007, 11:57 PM

That's strange, though i don't have a Venturer (yet) the specs seem to indicate it's an A3 in disguise and the upconversion on the A3 from what i've read seems to be pretty good, you sure it wasn't the movie or firmware or something? anyone else have comments on the the venturer upconversion? Don't really want to go out get the venturer and still need to keep my current upconverting player plugged if i don't need too.

It's all about the sound!
post #186 of 417 Old 12-11-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstar79 View Post

That's strange, though i don't have a Venturer (yet) the specs seem to indicate it's an A3 in disguise and the upconversion on the A3 from what i've read seems to be pretty good, you sure it wasn't the movie or firmware or something? anyone else have comments on the the venturer upconversion? Don't really want to go out get the venturer and still need to keep my current upconverting player plugged if i don't need too.

I will try another dvd later and post my thoughts.
post #187 of 417 Old 12-11-2007, 02:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet77 View Post

I will try another dvd later and post my thoughts.

I assume you are using HDMI as component upconversion is limited to 480p (or 540p by the standard).

Make sure your display is set to 1:1 pixel match if its 720p, and try that output setting. If you display is a 768p use 1080i60 output. If its 1080p, make sure you are using 1080i60 output and 1:1 pixel match.

Make sure your set to 100% over scan for input the HD DVD player is using (instead of a somewhat typical 97%) so that your display is not attempting to scale the upconverted image again.

What display do you have? What DVD discs are you trying?

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #188 of 417 Old 12-11-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Well been playing around with this player. Notice that it doesnt do error correction well (latest FW 1.3). I was playing Serenity HD DVD with the Vent and it chokes at 1:38-1:39 min into the movies and is repeatable. Pix's and tears and freezes. Tght the disc was FUBAR . Just to make sure I ripped the movie again to hdd to see if the disc was readable or was it f@cked, the disc read/ripped and play back over network with a HTPC with no issues . Then tested played back from disc directly with a LG combo drive with a HTPC and the disc played fine again .

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #189 of 417 Old 12-11-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Well been playing around with this player. Notice that it doesnt do error correction well (latest FW 1.3). I was playing Serenity HD DVD with the Vent and it chokes at 1:38-1:39 min into the movies and is repeatable. Pix's and tears and freezes. Tght the disc was FUBAR . Just to make sure I ripped the movie again to hdd to see if the disc was readable or was it f@cked, the disc read/ripped and play back over network with a HTPC with no issues . Then tested played back from disc directly with a LG combo drive with a HTPC and the disc played fine again .

Take it back and get a replacement.
post #190 of 417 Old 12-11-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Take it back and get a replacement.

Player or the disc (the latter no can do since its old).

The player so far has played all other movies I tried (HD DVD and BluRay). Havent tried all since I have over a 100 HD DVDs. I dont really think it will be any better with another player. Just guessing its the limitations of a stand alone player processor compared to the HTPC processing power. Also the quality of the blue laser rom reader of each device. But if I find more movies that give issues then the player will get exchanged.

Addendum: there is a mark on the disc...note I did say error correction in post, not that the Vent player was 100% at fault. Prob the mark on the disc is causing the probms with the Vent but the LG combo drive just corrected/ignored the error and sail thru.

post #191 of 417 Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

All indications are that it's the same drive that's in the A3. It could just be that the optical assembly on that particular unit is a little out of whack. I had tons of problems with playback on my A1 until I sent it in and had Toshiba do "maintenance" on it.

After that (mobo and optical drive replacement) it has played every single disc I've put in it.
post #192 of 417 Old 12-11-2007, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like a disk problem. Tried this disk after seeing your post and no problem.
post #193 of 417 Old 12-11-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post

Sounds like a disk problem. Tried this disk after seeing your post and no problem.

Updated my other post. There is a mark on the disc. Note I did say error correction. The Vent had probms and the LG Combo sail right thru with no issues.

I wish HD DVD disc would have a protective layer (needed or not) like the BD's have. Hate looking at the scratches and marks on the disc even with min cleaning and carefull handling.

post #194 of 417 Old 12-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Well... more playing tonight... as much as my 4 year-old would let me during the "mini-movies" anyway (that's what she calls the demo DVD that's all animation). I finalized the basic display calibrations and the picture is pretty damn good. Any limitations left are those left by my projector and screen.

Watching the SD DVD demo, the up-conversion was quite good. I wasn't 'allowed' to switch between my players for comparison tho. Before firing up the DVD, I changed the audio settings. I'm using HDMI, but I set the SPDIF to bitstream and left HDMI on auto. There's a scene from The Incredibles (family fighting the big robot) and the LFE was rediculous. Waaaaaay too much. I made adjustments to watch Transformers and hadn't touched it since, so I backed it off a bit. I also noticed a lot of sound from the surrounds I'd never noticed before. Why would that be?

I then put Transformers back in, without touching the volume or other settings. The sound was in fact quite a bit lower. No problem, I have a volume knob. But the LFE still seemed a bit weak too (I had adjusted my AVR to pump out less dB to the sub for the other DVD). Then we popped Cars in. Again, a SD DVD. Had to turn the volume down about 10dB so as not to go deaf. And again with the super-loud surrounds. Very strange. So, now more things to play with when I finally get a few minutes to myself.

Thanks to someone's suggestion on here, I was able to get Cars stretched out by changing my TV shape to 4:3 Letterbox. Thanks!

This is fun!

post #195 of 417 Old 12-14-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:

I'm using HDMI, but I set the SPDIF to bitstream and left HDMI on auto. There's a scene from The Incredibles (family fighting the big robot) and the LFE was rediculous. Waaaaaay too much. I made adjustments to watch Transformers and hadn't touched it since, so I backed it off a bit. I also noticed a lot of sound from the surrounds I'd never noticed before. Why would that be?

I then put Transformers back in, without touching the volume or other settings. The sound was in fact quite a bit lower. No problem, I have a volume knob. But the LFE still seemed a bit weak too (I had adjusted my AVR to pump out less dB to the sub for the other DVD). Then we popped Cars in. Again, a SD DVD. Had to turn the volume down about 10dB so as not to go deaf. And again with the super-loud surrounds. Very strange. So, now more things to play with when I finally get a few minutes to myself.

If you're setting SDPIF to bitstream, you need to set the HDMI audio to 2ch Downmix. This will improve the audio volume of your HD DVDs. You'll find that Transformers will now have more volume and better LFE.
post #196 of 417 Old 12-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

So, the bigger question is what does this all mean? What are the preferred/common settings? The idea of 'down'-anything just carries a negative conotation. All this multi-channel, bitstream, PCM, codec whatcha-ma-whosis is confusing the hell outta me. Just give me my damn 5.1 and go away!

post #197 of 417 Old 12-14-2007, 02:13 PM

What kind of receiver do you have?? Is it one that can receive Multi Channel PCM via HDMI or are you getting your 5.1 audio using a toslink (Optical SDPIF) cable??

I assume you are using the latter (toslink cable). The Venturer (along with the A3) sends an audio signal out the HDMI port and out the Optical port. In order to maximize the audio quality coming out of that optical port, you need to change the HDMI audio setting to 2ch downmix, because audio coming out of the HDMI port is not being used for you to get the desired 5.1 audio (at the most, it's giving you audio out of your tv speakers, in which case 2ch downmix is perfect).

This is also stated in the manual (though no description is provided to why you need to change it to 2ch downmix.....it just says do it).
post #198 of 417 Old 12-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

I've got an Onkyo 605 and it handles multi channel PCM. I'm only using HDMI. So, I assumed the SDPIF setting was inconsequential since I'm using HDMI.

Ha... I'm often one to say RTFM... guess I should take my own advice.

post #199 of 417 Old 12-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet77 View Post

I bought my Venturer a few weeks ago, no complaints with HD quality. My big complaint is upconverting regular dvds. I just finally got my hdmi cable and ran it from the venturer to my panny 42pz77u. Threw in a regular dvd and the quality was terrible! Blotchy all over colors were off! Like I said, everythings great with hd-dvds, but man.. what a dissapointment with the standard dvds.

I thought the same thing with my XA2. Everyone said it was THE player to use to upconvert SD-DVDs but Minority Report and iRobot looked terrible. I then played Star Wars E:I and it was beautiful.

It all depends on the content, IMO.
post #200 of 417 Old 12-15-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:

I've got an Onkyo 605 and it handles multi channel PCM. I'm only using HDMI. So, I assumed the SDPIF setting was inconsequential since I'm using HDMI.

Ha... I'm often one to say RTFM... guess I should take my own advice.

In this case, change the SPDIF option to whatever you want (IE: PCM) and change the HDMI audio option to PCM. This means the player will decode DD+ and TrueHD sound and send that signal as MPCM to the receiver (since the Venturer can't send the DD+ or TrueHD audio signal as bitstream).

You may find the audio volume to be a bit lower than SPDIF because the SPDIF connection incorporates "DialNorm" which ups the volume to a certain level.....PCM doesn't incorporate this feature. But nonetheless, all you have to do is turn up the volume a few notches and you'll be fine.
post #201 of 417 Old 12-16-2007, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone using this player with a Panasonic TH -XXPX75/77 TV and know the correct remote control code? I've tried the suggested Venturer and Toshiba DVD codes in the Panasonic manual with no luck.

Thanks in advance. G
post #202 of 417 Old 12-16-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Nger View Post

Anyone using this player with a Panasonic TH -XXPX75/77 TV and know the correct remote control code? I've tried the suggested Venturer and Toshiba DVD codes in the Panasonic manual with no luck.

Thanks in advance. G

Same problem here.
post #203 of 417 Old 12-18-2007, 11:36 AM

I just bought this player from Wal-Mart for $189.00, it came with two free in the box ("300" and 'Bourne Identity") with 5 more free with a mail-in.

Anyone have any opinions of this player? It appears to me to be basiaclly a Toshiba A-20 with a different brand name on it.

"If it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is!"
post #204 of 417 Old 12-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

It's basically a Toshiba A3 (same internals and even firmware). It's a good player.

John
post #205 of 417 Old 12-18-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4yDubs View Post

It's basically a Toshiba A3 (same internals and even firmware). It's a good player.

John

And apparently even the same movies in the box. There's a "first impressions" thread around here somewhere that some guy in Canadia started last month. It basically boils down to what John said--it's pretty much an A3.
post #206 of 417 Old 12-18-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The player is a solid player. Functional and does it's job. Played a number of disks on it without a problem. Except for the import Enemy at the Gates which it didn't recognize.
post #207 of 417 Old 12-18-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Sullivan View Post

I just bought this player from Wal-Mart for $189.00, it came with two free in the box ("300" and 'Bourne Identity") with 5 more free with a mail-in.

Anyone have any opinions of this player? It appears to me to be basiaclly a Toshiba A-20 with a different brand name on it.

what? you got a 5 free movie mail in offer? anyone else? this is the first i've heard of this...

It's all about the sound!
post #208 of 417 Old 12-19-2007, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstar79 View Post

what? you got a 5 free movie mail in offer? anyone else? this is the first i've heard of this...

Maybe a US promo only. Didnt see anything for Canadain Venturer Players at WallMarts on 5 disc offer. I didnt get the same movies. Got The Perfect Storm and Rumours Has It instead on 300 and Bourne Id. Actauly the Canadain movies I got was better for me since I already have 300 and Bourne Id and didnt have the other two.

post #209 of 417 Old 12-19-2007, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post

The player is a solid player. Functional and does it's job. Played a number of disks on it without a problem. Except for the import Enemy at the Gates which it didn't recognize.

HD DVD import?

Or DVD import from the wrong region?
post #210 of 417 Old 12-19-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:

Maybe a US promo only. Didnt see anything for Canadain Venturer Players at WallMarts on 5 disc offer. I didnt get the same movies. Got The Perfect Storm and Rumours Has It instead on 300 and Bourne Id. Actauly the Canadain movies I got was better for me since I already have 300 and Bourne Id and didnt have the other two.

Even the UK version of the player, will have the 2+5 free movies and a HDMI cable.:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/12/14...e-free-flicks/

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page