Onkyo DV-HD805 - First End User Reports! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1755 Old 12-29-2007, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^^ I guess that's true if you want to buy one of their 4 remaining refurbished used units and not take advantage of the 5 free HD DVDs.

The XA2 is restricted to a very limited distribution of a select group of high end independent retailers. I am sorry to say we can expect the price to continue to go up as this high end player becomes harder to get.

-Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1755 Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

^^ I guess that's true if you want to buy one of their 4 remaining refurbished used units and not take advantage of the 5 free HD DVDs.

The XA2 is restricted to a very limited distribution of a select group of high end independent retailers. I am sorry to say we can expect the price to continue to go up as this high end player becomes harder to get.

-Robert

Yep didn't look at the ad, just googled and saw the price.
My bad
post #183 of 1755 Old 12-29-2007, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

-Robert

If the price for a new XA2 becomes real close to a new HD805, which would you choose? Would you at this point just choose by cosmetic appearance? I'm going to try and buy one of these two units soon.
Thanks

-Tom
post #184 of 1755 Old 12-29-2007, 05:18 PM

Tom, their is still a $100 gap between them so it's a toss-up.

However, as you stated if the price difference gets closer the Onkyo DV HD805 would be my choice.

We stock the XA2 and HD805 and they both sell very strong and steady.

-Robert
post #185 of 1755 Old 12-29-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Tom, their is still a $100 gap between them so it's a toss-up.

However, as you stated if the price difference gets closer the Onkyo DV HD805 would be my choice.

We stock the XA2 and HD805 and they both sell very strong and steady.

-Robert

Thanks Robert - I'm a couple of weeks away because of a business trip. I'll revisit the situation when I get back.
Thanks

-Tom
post #186 of 1755 Old 12-29-2007, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I'd still think that the XA2 might be a better deal at $200 less if only because Toshiba has proven it will support it and who knows what Onkyo will do once they sell their units. Plus there's a larger body of data to go to for support.

Who knows? I'll find out on Wednesday.
post #187 of 1755 Old 12-30-2007, 05:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 112
The Kingdom played perfectly (as reported) on the HD805 last night. It is nice knowing when I do have company over I do not have to woryy as much about lock ups...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #188 of 1755 Old 12-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:

-Robert

that's funny...

i remember you stating a few times that the xa2 will still be their flagship and will still be produced. but now it is produced less? and available at fewer places (no longer at bestbuy). so now the price will go up higher and higher. i have an hd-xa1, but i call shenanigans until toshiba gets their act together and quit putting out buggy systems. all hd-dvd players seem to be in beta form. can't wait to see a new flagship (hd-xa3 haha) and its bugs.
post #189 of 1755 Old 12-30-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the place I bought the XA-2 from, Frys.com, just notified me that that they're out of stock. Back to the Onkyo 805. I guess.
post #190 of 1755 Old 12-30-2007, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Most places consider the XA2 discontinued as I did a month ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #191 of 1755 Old 12-30-2007, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bring on the XA3, I'm ready for it.

Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own.
post #192 of 1755 Old 12-31-2007, 01:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioNeil View Post

So far, it seems like the sound from the analog outputs is at least as good as my A1, and perhaps better. The picture quality of SD DVD is awesome (though nothing can turn that DD into TrueHD).

You raise a good comparison: for a yardstick, IMO the A1 analog outs are of a very high standard ( BM problems aside). Yet, I would still hope the analog outs on the Onkyo would be noticably better than the A1, but in your opinion it seems this is not necessarily so, or would you reconsider ? BTW IYO, are the analogs on the XA2 better or the same as on the A1 ?

How does it compare picture wise to the A1 and also to the XA2 ?
post #193 of 1755 Old 12-31-2007, 01:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgz View Post

http://formatwarcentral.com/index.ph...ba-price-cuts/

Is this true?

Mark

I wonder , if Onkyo were to make a dual format player, would it be a re-badged Samsung UP5000 ?
post #194 of 1755 Old 12-31-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone using a XA2 remote to get the picture adjustments(sharpness,DNR) menu?
What are your thoughts.
post #195 of 1755 Old 12-31-2007, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing I notice in comparing this player to the A35 at 1080p 24 is the very fast motion is not quite as smooth on mission impossible 3 fast motion scenes which makes me wonder if the 1080p24 is coming right off the discs like the A35 or maybe has to go thru the reon chip first on the 805.
post #196 of 1755 Old 12-31-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviec View Post

One thing I notice in comparing this player to the A35 at 1080p 24 is the very fast motion is not quite as smooth on mission impossible 3 fast motion scenes which makes me wonder if the 1080p24 is coming right off the discs like the A35 or maybe has to go thru the reon chip first on the 805.

Do you prefer the A35 over the HD805?

-Tom
post #197 of 1755 Old 12-31-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsantagonist View Post

that's funny...

i remember you stating a few times that the xa2 will still be their flagship and will still be produced. but now it is produced less? and available at fewer places (no longer at bestbuy). so now the price will go up higher and higher. i have an hd-xa1, but i call shenanigans until toshiba gets their act together and quit putting out buggy systems. all hd-dvd players seem to be in beta form. can't wait to see a new flagship (hd-xa3 haha) and its bugs.

Nothing stays the same forever. And the CE business things change faster than most folks change their.. well you know what. So at the time I made that statement it was true. However, today things have changed and Toshiba has decided to restrict the distribution of the flagship player.

And regarding your remarks about Toshiba putting out buggy systems, tell me which CE manufacturer has not? None that I know of. And BTW, you forgot to mention Toshiba's dedication to getting it right by fixing bugs and enhancing all HD DVD players, including the very first generation.

Honestly, godsantagonist, what more could you or anyone ask for. Here we have a company who forges forward to build bleeding edge technology and continues to perfect their art and science and does not abandon their older models like so many well respected competitive CE manufacturers do.

Why not be thankful for the development and advancements and the commitment to make things right.

Personally and professionally my hat's off to Toshiba and the fine engineering and marketing folks that put it all together and for their commitment to fix and enhance all generations of HD DVD players. We can only hope the BD camp can take a lesson from Toshiba and fix their mistakes.

Happy New Year!

-Robert
post #198 of 1755 Old 01-01-2008, 06:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

I will give them credit (TOSHIBA), I just received firmware version 2.4 for my XA2 in the mail! Now that is dedication...

post #199 of 1755 Old 01-01-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post

Do you prefer the A35 over the HD805?

I prefer the 805 for the simple fact that it works well and plays everything.
always anticipating a lockup with the a35 on combo discs.
post #200 of 1755 Old 01-01-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Same here. I am always worried about lockups when it comes to combos. Which is another reason why the HD805 is in my main lineup. Nothing is worse than having people over and then experiencing freezing and then total lockup. The new Onkyo has still never let me down with anything I have put in it.

post #201 of 1755 Old 01-01-2008, 08:30 AM

Thanks - the HD805 sounds like the player I want

-Tom
post #202 of 1755 Old 01-01-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

It is a good choice with great picture Q, all the features, and no performace issues...

post #203 of 1755 Old 01-01-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post

Thanks - the HD805 sounds like the player I want

Robert has them in stock for a great price and the fed-ex shipping is really fast!
post #204 of 1755 Old 01-01-2008, 09:33 AM

Had 2 a35's, returned them both for freezing very fequently via hmdi connection, tried all known fixes to no avail. Feeding everything into integra 9.8 , blu ray and sat dish never a glitch. Exchanged 2nd a35 for an integra 8.8 figuring they had to work together, it works flawless, not one skip,stutter,freeze,drop out etc. Even plays through same disks that killed the a35. Cost more but i have something that works now and no more frustration.
post #205 of 1755 Old 01-01-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviec View Post

Have you adjusted any HD805 PQ settings (color, NR etc)? If so, can you reset those to their default positions and watch the scenes again (in p24)?

You may not have a remote to change (or even check) those settings... the settings do need to be checked....

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #206 of 1755 Old 01-01-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

I have to say I did not notice any blur from the HD805 whatsoever. I am using it thru a crystalio II which may be a factor. I will do some comparisons later without it.

post #207 of 1755 Old 01-01-2008, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Any word on a replacement remote for accessing the picture adjustments?

Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own.
post #208 of 1755 Old 01-01-2008, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tausifs View Post

I wonder, if Onkyo were to make a dual format player, would it be a re-badged Samsung UP5000 ?

OMG, Please No !!! I had great hopes for this [the Samsung] unit, but to bring it [the Sammy BD UP-5000] to even an acceptable level of performance will require multiple firmware updates and improvements.

I've been following this HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray stand-off for quite sometime (it's only fair to say I have a Sony PS3 60g Blu-ray; but I have no great love-affair with it; it is very good and pretty impressive, but how long can Sony stand on just "pretty-dang-good" when other competitors are surpassing them and they're pissing $'s out the window everyday?) -- however, one thing I will give Sony beaucoup props is for frequent, enthusiatic, useful, and very-easy-to-obtain firmware updates; in this matter they're absolutely on top of the game.

In my AVSF and other readings, however, one thing does come quite clear; HD-DVD players have very little to NO problems with their media's playback, while Blu-ray continues to have all sorts of issues. In my own experience, to be fair, I've only encountered occasional Blu-ray playback hiccups, but I've read of so many other people having problems that I can't just discount them.

I've been looking for the best compromise between the two, but as far as I've seen yet, there isn't any viable choice. Maybe, CES 2008 will give us some hope ?!

Now, to get things back on track, I've almost already decided (barring new ground-breaking announcements) that separates are the best way to go. I have an Onk 905 AVR (silver), so I'm looking to the Denon 2500 for Blu-ray (and SACD/DVD-A) playback and the Onk DV-HD805 for HD-DVD playback. It's just that my whole setup is in (I guess) yesterday's silver finish (I don't have a hidden rack setup like some of you others). I can see that, today, black is the new and only black, but I can't quite get away from my old-gen silver roots (slave to out-dated fashion that I might be). I see that Engadget photo-pic'd the Onkyo DV-HD805 player in silver, but I fear that Onkyo has finally succumbed to the "black-is-obviously-the-only-cool-and-business-smart-USA-marketing-tool" theory for today's AV buyers (just like every other manufacturer has already done). But I'm hopelessly yesterday (and, I guess, a little European or Asian, who will get their silver versions; despite the fact that I'm really an ummp-teenth-gen American).

Does anyone know if Onkyo is going to revert to its roots and offer a silver version of this thing - or will I have to wait another 5 to 8 years before silver comes into style again (I don't really want to resort to the spray can mod). Since Denon will obviously not comply with my wishes, maybe I can display these two black sheep on the same tier of my display stand, and then, maybe, fashionably get away with it ?

I don't mean to put fashion before function, but does anyone have a clue if Onkyo is going to come out with their traditionally silver iteration of this unit? Black is good too.

- da Choge

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #209 of 1755 Old 01-02-2008, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Check out this guys fix for the lockups!cool if it works on the a35!

For those with lock up, freeze or no disc messages (at least for the A3):

Try setting the TWIN FORMAT DISC to DVD (not HD DVD) - player must be empty.

My A3 (with 1.3) locked up after chapter 12 (@~58min) on THE KINGDOM and spit out a NO DISC on THE REAPING. After changing the setting they played fine. Not sure if it is works only for this f/w version...

I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but forgive me if it has as this is my first post.

~Cheers
post #210 of 1755 Old 01-02-2008, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

joerod & steviec, what are the plans for replacing the remote that c omes with the 805. From what I understand it's missing a button. I have an 805 arriving today. This is my 2nd try as the first one arrived frozen and I want it to work out and stay. The first one did look good in my rack with the SP 885 pre/pro.

Thanks.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page