***The Official Toshiba HD-A3 (ONLY) Thread*** - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
ctiq21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I thought this was mentioned before. But I was curious if others are receiving the 2CH display on the A3 when playing a Dolby 5.1 track. My receiver (onkyo 605) shows it is receiving the 5.1 track but the A3 still shows 2CH.

My settings are HDMI on auto, which is what I use, but I put the optical out on bitstream and pcm with the same results.

I have reinitialized the player and have the current firmware.

Anyone else with the same issue?
ctiq21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jim S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Auburn WA
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'd like to think I'm not a noob at this AV stuff but the audio setup instructions (both in the manual and on forums) have got to be about the most cryptic I've seen in awhile for a consumer electronic device. I have a receiver that decodes DD and DTS only with a SPDIF connection and the Westy LVM-37w3se is hooked up via HDMI. I set the player SPDIF to bitstream, and HDMI to PCM downconvert. I then select DD or DTS on the disc setup. Does this get me the best sound out of my receiver?

Jim
Jim S is online now  
post #93 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Member
 
TreeFarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: East TN
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just received our A3 from Amazon. After making sure it was working at all, I did the update. Since some posters indicated it took quite awhile to update via a direct connection, I decided to go for the ISO update.

Just thought I would mention that the ISO update instructions posted on the Toshiba web site are somewhat incorrect. They state that there are five stages to the update, and that stage five will take about 25 minutes, during which the LED will flash alternate blue and red. That's not quite how it went.

Everything proceeded as indicated. When it reached stage four, it sat there for a few minutes, so I got up and went into the kitchen to make a sandwich. A couple minutes later, at most, I heard a click sound come from the living room, so I went back to investigate.

The CD had been ejected, and the entire process had taken only around 10 minutes or so. I never did see stage five or any flashing LED. I verified that the box had updated to v1.3 and still played OK, as far as I can tell (I am still waiting on a HDMI cable).

For those that are planning an ISO update. The download is only 36 MB, which makes you wonder why the over the Internet updates take so long.

The zipped file "decompresses" to a 36 MB ISO, so I guess they just went with the zip format for the built in error check.

My CD burning software, K3B, claimed the ISO was not valid, but didn't have any problem with burning it. I am assuming it was the burner software, not the ISO itself.

If anyone else who has done an ISO update had a different experience, I would like to hear about it.
TreeFarm is offline  
post #94 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Newbie
 
jdwest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFarm View Post

Just received our A3 from Amazon. After making sure it was working at all, I did the update. Since some posters indicated it took quite awhile to update via a direct connection, I decided to go for the ISO update.

Just thought I would mention that the ISO update instructions posted on the Toshiba web site are somewhat incorrect. They state that there are five stages to the update, and that stage five will take about 25 minutes, during which the LED will flash alternate blue and red. That's not quite how it went.

Everything proceeded as indicated. When it reached stage four, it sat there for a few minutes, so I got up and went into the kitchen to make a sandwich. A couple minutes later, at most, I heard a click sound come from the living room, so I went back to investigate.

The CD had been ejected, and the entire process had taken only around 10 minutes or so. I never did see stage five or any flashing LED. I verified that the box had updated to v1.3 and still played OK, as far as I can tell (I am still waiting on a HDMI cable).

For those that are planning an ISO update. The download is only 36 MB, which makes you wonder why the over the Internet updates take so long.

The zipped file "decompresses" to a 36 MB ISO, so I guess they just went with the zip format for the built in error check.

My CD burning software, K3B, claimed the ISO was not valid, but didn't have any problem with burning it. I am assuming it was the burner software, not the ISO itself.

If anyone else who has done an ISO update had a different experience, I would like to hear about it.

I can confirm what TreeFarm is stating here. I also just purchased from Amazon and did the update via CD. There were only 4 stages and it went by very quickly with no problems.

The player is working just as well as my older Toshiba 1080p upconverting DVD player/recorder and I think the quality is actually better on my Samsung 61" DLP 1080p HDTV. Watched a bit of the HD version of 300 and the SD version of Hairspray and both looked great, but 300 was especially nice.

So far no complaints other than I really need to get a better receiver/speakers/HTIB to take advantage of the sound (still using old composite for now).

Amazon's deal for $100 off and 10 free movies is hard to beat if you can catch them when it's offered.
jdwest is offline  
post #95 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Member
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The firmare update did not cure my skips & sound dropouts.

I contacted Amazon for a replacement A-3 & the are sending it via overnight shipping. Hope I have better luck with the new one.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
post #96 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Member
 
Kelsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post

I thought this was mentioned before. But I was curious if others are receiving the 2CH display on the A3 when playing a Dolby 5.1 track. My receiver (onkyo 605) shows it is receiving the 5.1 track but the A3 still shows 2CH.

My settings are HDMI on auto, which is what I use, but I put the optical out on bitstream and pcm with the same results.

I have reinitialized the player and have the current firmware.

Anyone else with the same issue?

I noticed this last night; the sound I am getting out of my 8 speakers (Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1 system) is fine - but it's a fairly small room, and I do not have the most discriminating ears.

Playing a Netflix version of "Bourne Supremacy", I noted that my A3 indicated 2CH for the output. My connections are HDMI out directly to my Toshiba 62HM196, with optical sound out to the Onkyo HT-550 receiver; unlike your 605, my receiver will not decode TrueHD. I can only get TrueHD audio with an HD-DVD player that does the decoding before transmitting to the receiver, like the A35.

I'm going to look into this further this evening, but you are not alone.


RFT!!!
My current hobby is not collecting stamps. I'll be adding not collecting coins as soon as I don't have time.

Dave Kelsen
Kelsen is offline  
post #97 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Member
 
Jizzay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SSF, CA
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can this player do a vertical stretch? I have a CIH setup and might have to return this player because it won't do my required stretch.
Jizzay1 is offline  
post #98 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
khwiggins2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Clarksburg, MD
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsen View Post

I noticed this last night; the sound I am getting out of my 8 speakers (Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1 system) is fine - but it's a fairly small room, and I do not have the most discriminating ears.

Playing a Netflix version of "Bourne Supremacy", I noted that my A3 indicated 2CH for the output. My connections are HDMI out directly to my Toshiba 62HM196, with optical sound out to the Onkyo HT-550 receiver; unlike your 605, my receiver will not decode TrueHD. I can only get TrueHD audio with an HD-DVD player that does the decoding before transmitting to the receiver, like the A35.

I'm going to look into this further this evening, but you are not alone.


RFT!!!
My current hobby is not collecting stamps. I'll be adding not collecting coins as soon as I don't have time.

Kelsen, unplug the optical cable from the TV and plug it into the player.

HD-A3 ---> HDMI -> 62HM196
...........--> Optical -> HT-550

The optical output on you TV is only for over the air, it can't output dolby 5.1 for the other inputs. I believe this is for copy protection which is why you can only use it for broadcast channels. Anything else gets downgraded to stereo.

Also, I just checked and it looks like your receiver will accept HDMI input. Is there a reason you're not using HDMI to the receiver? Your player will decode TrueHD to PCM which can be sent over HDMI as MPCM. This way you can get the lossless sound. You can not get lossless sound over optical, it get's downgraded to DD or DTS(can't remember which for the A3).

HD-A3 -> HDMI -> HT-550 -> HDMI -> 62HM196

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
khwiggins2 is offline  
post #99 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
BigPines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by khwiggins2 View Post

You can not get lossless sound over optical, it get's downgraded to DD or DTS(can't remember which for the A3).

It is actually output as PCM on the A3.

Mike
BigPines is offline  
post #100 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
khwiggins2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Clarksburg, MD
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPines View Post

It is actually output as PCM on the A3.

Mike

PCM over optical? If you select PCM, then you're limited to 2 channels. If you leave it auto, then it will re-encode the signal and send it bitstream as DD or DTS. You don't want to select PCM when you're dealing with optical or coax.

If using HDMI to the receiver, then it will decode DD+ or TrueHD to PCM and send that to the receiver. That's the only way to get lossless audio out of the A3 as it doesn't have analog outs. The receiver won't say TrueHD or DD+, as that's not what it's receiving, it will say something like multichannel PCM or multi in. It's still lossless audio, it's just that the player decodes instead of the receiver.

Mike - Not sure if you were referring to PCM over optical or HDMI. Didn't want to sound confrontational. Just want everyone to get the best experience they can.

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
khwiggins2 is offline  
post #101 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
BigPines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by khwiggins2 View Post

PCM over optical? If you select PCM, then you're limited to 2 channels. If you leave it auto, then it will re-encode the signal and send it bitstream as DD or DTS. You don't want to select PCM when you're dealing with optical or coax.

If using HDMI to the receiver, then it will decode DD+ or TrueHD to PCM and send that to the receiver. That's the only way to get lossless audio out of the A3 as it doesn't have analog outs. The receiver won't say TrueHD or DD+, as that's not what it's receiving, it will say something like multichannel PCM or multi in. It's still lossless audio, it's just that the player decodes instead of the receiver.

Mike - Not sure if you were referring to PCM over optical or HDMI. Didn't want to sound confrontational. Just want everyone to get the best experience they can.

Sorry. You are 100% correct. It is PCM over HDMI. I can test what comes out of optical if anyone would like the info?

Mike
BigPines is offline  
post #102 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rynberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: California
Posts: 2,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Optical will send 2-channel PCM, 640kpbs DD, or 1.5Mbps DTS.
rynberg is offline  
post #103 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
BigPines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

Optical will send 2-channel PCM, 640kpbs DD, or 1.5Mbps DTS.

So is TrueHD downconverted to DD via optical?

Mike
BigPines is offline  
post #104 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Member
 
Kelsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by khwiggins2 View Post

Kelsen, unplug the optical cable from the TV and plug it into the player.

HD-A3 ---> HDMI -> 62HM196
...........--> Optical -> HT-550

The optical output on you TV is only for over the air, it can't output dolby 5.1 for the other inputs. I believe this is for copy protection which is why you can only use it for broadcast channels. Anything else gets downgraded to stereo.

Also, I just checked and it looks like your receiver will accept HDMI input. Is there a reason you're not using HDMI to the receiver? Your player will decode TrueHD to PCM which can be sent over HDMI as MPCM. This way you can get the lossless sound. You can not get lossless sound over optical, it get's downgraded to DD or DTS(can't remember which for the A3).

HD-A3 -> HDMI -> HT-550 -> HDMI -> 62HM196

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. The optical audio out from the A3 *is* plugged in to the Onkyo receiver. This receiver has HDMI in (2 of 'em, actually), but will not decode the uncompressed audio it gets via HDMI (the 605 and up will). The receiver will play already uncompressed TrueHD audio, if sent by a machine that does the uncompressing - like an A-35. As I understand it, the A-3 will not decode/decompress TrueHD, although it will send the compressed bitstream.

If I have this wrong, please educate me.

Thanks.

RFT!!!
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." -- George Washington

Dave Kelsen
Kelsen is offline  
post #105 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
BigPines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsen View Post

As I understand it, the A-3 will not decode/decompress TrueHD, although it will send the compressed bitstream.

The A3 will decode TrueHD and send it via PCM on the HDMI. It will NOT send the raw bitstream itself.

Mike
BigPines is offline  
post #106 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Newbie
 
Now Hear This's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFarm View Post

Just received our A3 from Amazon. After making sure it was working at all, I did the update. Since some posters indicated it took quite awhile to update via a direct connection, I decided to go for the ISO update.

Just thought I would mention that the ISO update instructions posted on the Toshiba web site are somewhat incorrect. They state that there are five stages to the update, and that stage five will take about 25 minutes, during which the LED will flash alternate blue and red. That's not quite how it went.

Everything proceeded as indicated. When it reached stage four, it sat there for a few minutes, so I got up and went into the kitchen to make a sandwich. A couple minutes later, at most, I heard a click sound come from the living room, so I went back to investigate.

The CD had been ejected, and the entire process had taken only around 10 minutes or so. I never did see stage five or any flashing LED. I verified that the box had updated to v1.3 and still played OK, as far as I can tell (I am still waiting on a HDMI cable).

For those that are planning an ISO update. The download is only 36 MB, which makes you wonder why the over the Internet updates take so long.

The zipped file "decompresses" to a 36 MB ISO, so I guess they just went with the zip format for the built in error check.

My CD burning software, K3B, claimed the ISO was not valid, but didn't have any problem with burning it. I am assuming it was the burner software, not the ISO itself.

If anyone else who has done an ISO update had a different experience, I would like to hear about it.

My firmware upgrade went exactly as you described - about 10 minutes. I was quite surprised once the cd ejected and initially thought the upgrade had failed. Glad to hear from someone who experienced the upgrade as I did. Thanks!!!
Now Hear This is offline  
post #107 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Member
 
bluemax50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Holyoke, Massachusetts
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my new HD-A3 yesterday from Amazon.com. I got it when it was 199.00 with 12 free movies. I ordered on impulse but after all the problems I read in this forum I was hesitant to even open it.Sure enough set it up this evening and stuck in the Bourne Idenitity. It played fine for about 15 minutes then the audio started to drop out and the video started to freeze. I updated the firmware and tried again same result. Tried a few other movies I already owned and same problem. I've owned the XBox360 add-on since they came out and it has been bulletproof. I'm sending this piece of junk back to Amazon for a refund. Until Toshiba fixes their quality problems I'll stay clear of their products. It's nice Toshiba has cheap HD-DVD players on the market but if they don't work why bother. Toshiba has simply way, way to many quality issues for a third generation product. I'm sticking to my 360 add-on and wait for a reliable player to come to market. What a disappointment
bluemax50 is offline  
post #108 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax50 View Post

Just got my new HD-A3 yesterday from Amazon.com. I got it when it was 199.00 with 12 free movies. I ordered on impulse but after all the problems I read in this forum I was hesitant to even open it.Sure enough set it up this evening and stuck in the Bourne Idenitity. It played fine for about 15 minutes then the audio started to drop out and the video started to freeze. I updated the firmware and tried again same result. Tried a few other movies I already owned and same problem. I've owned the XBox360 add-on since they came out and it has been bulletproof. I'm sending this piece of junk back to Amazon for a refund. Until Toshiba fixes their quality problems I'll stay clear of their products. It's nice Toshiba has cheap HD-DVD players on the market but if they don't work why bother. Toshiba has simply way, way to many quality issues for a third generation product. I'm sticking to my 360 add-on and wait for a reliable player to come to market. What a disappointment

I also found the $199 w/ 12 free movies too good to resist. But, my experience has been much better. I got the player on Monday and have had no problems playing any of the disks I've tried so far, including a netflix rental of the latest Harry Potter movie (a new disk). My set only has one HDMI input and I installed a MonoPrice HDMI switch today. Others have reported problems with these switches. But, mine is working well so far - no loss of PQ or HDCP handshake problems.
BIslander is online now  
post #109 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Cnd Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tried to do a comparison btwn my A3 and my regualr dvd, to see the diff in picture. But each time I switch to Aux from DvD on my 705, the A3 wants to reset itself to the load screen so I have only one chance at looking for the differences.

Anyone know of a way to stop this from happening? So say I want to check the score on a game quickly, if I change to TV on my 705 while playing a HD dvd, and come back.. it wants to restart from the main menu all over.

Thanks.
Cnd Joe is offline  
post #110 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Member
 
Kelsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered one of these from Amazon after doing a fair amount of research with respect to the video capabilities. Because my television (Toshiba 62HM196) only accepts up to 1080i input, and because it has a flawless de-interlacer, I saw no need for one of the other Gen-3 players.

I got the device and set it up. I had already downloaded and burned onto a CD-R the firmware update to 1.3. It was installed before any disk was ever put in. Then I took a look at "The Bourne Identity", but only played about 15 minutes of it. No problems. I fiddled with the controls a bit, skipping chapters and so on. No problems. The next day, I put in my SD version of "Serenity". It looked great, and played from start to finish. No problems. Later, I put in "300" and watched it from start to finish. No problems. The next day, I put in "Planet Earth", and looked at about an hour of it. No problems. Next, I put in a Netflix version of "The Bourne Supremacy". It played from start to finish. No problems.

All in all, I have had no difficulties with this machine, and I have no complaints.

I am one of those who has yet to see a really startling difference between an upscaled SD DVD and an HD DVD. Some difference, yes. Not a startling one. One reason for that may be that although my screen is 62", I sit about ten feet away.

I have requested through Netflix some specific movies that are supposed to highlight the difference between SD and HD, like "Transformers".

In any event, I have no complaints. I hope to get a PS3 next.


RFT!!!
I hate laundry month.

Dave Kelsen
Kelsen is offline  
post #111 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
kreepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Owning the 42pz77u, i decided to pic the A3 up today at Ccity because it was it had 10 dvds, 3 instore, 2 in box, 5 rebate...So, of course i work there, so people are trying to talk me into getting the A30, but then of course its not what i really need. Anyway, after debating between the Xbox HD DVD and the A3, I decided for twice the price and not having to worry about if the xbox dies or not, i went with the A3..so now i have a couple questions

1) Should I go ahead and get it connected to the internet and leave it connected at all times??

2) Why when i put in happy feet the 1st time, did it tell me it wasnt in dvd format but after i tried again it worked???

3) I have a Yamaha HTIB, so im running the DVD player to my TV and then taking the sound from the TV to the reciever. What settings should i use when it comes to sound on the DVD player??

4) Anyway, besides zoom, if you use widescreen to get rid of the black bars on top and bottom??

5) Why for my 3 instore free DVDs did I choose Happy Feet, TMNT, and Polar Express?? Grant it transformers was out of stock.

Gaming and Movie Format Neutral
HDDVD: 84

BluRay:24

SD-DVD: 222
 

kreepy is offline  
post #112 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Newbie
 
raiderdave007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
were r u
raiderdave007 is offline  
post #113 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rynberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: California
Posts: 2,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
1. Sure, why not? You don't have to if you don't care about interactivity features on HD-DVD. Firmware upgrades can be done via a burned CD-R.
2. Have you updated the firmware and reinitialized?
3. Why are you doing this? Run the A3 into the Yamaha receiver first, then the TV. If your receiver doesn't have HDMI, then run HDMI to your TV and an optical digital cable from the A3 to the receiver. Do NOT rely on running optical cable from the TV back to the receiver.
4. Why? Some movies are SUPPOSED to have bars, that is the aspect ratio of the movie! Have you never watched a DVD?
5. I don't know, you were feeling very family movie oriented apparently!
rynberg is offline  
post #114 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rynberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: California
Posts: 2,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Kelsen I hope you have realized from the post above that you can take full advantage of the TrueHD tracks. Run HDMI to your receiver and set the A3 HDMI output to Auto. You will get DD/DTS as bitstream for your receiver, and get TrueHD decoded to multi-channel PCM>
rynberg is offline  
post #115 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
kreepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

1. Sure, why not? You don't have to if you don't care about interactivity features on HD-DVD. Firmware upgrades can be done via a burned CD-R.
2. Have you updated the firmware and reinitialized?
3. Why are you doing this? Run the A3 into the Yamaha receiver first, then the TV. If your receiver doesn't have HDMI, then run HDMI to your TV and an optical digital cable from the A3 to the receiver. Do NOT rely on running optical cable from the TV back to the receiver.
4. Why? Some movies are SUPPOSED to have bars, that is the aspect ratio of the movie! Have you never watched a DVD?
5. I don't know, you were feeling very family movie oriented apparently!


LOL, stupid questions get stupid answers...Im kool with that...thanks for the other answers though....i'll look into optical for the reciever. Im actually probably after the holidays getting a new reciever anyway. And the funny part about the movies, Im not married, dating or have kids...lol.

Gaming and Movie Format Neutral
HDDVD: 84

BluRay:24

SD-DVD: 222
 

kreepy is offline  
post #116 of 1110 Old 12-13-2007, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eapleitez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you get a new receiver, make sure it has HDMI, and MAKE SURE it can extract audio from HDMI (many don't). That way you can get DD+ and TrueHD in all their glory.

As far as movies, maybe you wanted some CGI? Oh yeah, lots of movies will have black bars, since they are wider than 16:9.

The way you have your audio connected is very bad. TVs typically don't send out more than stereo output, even over optical. So in this case, you are running stereo and not getting real surround.

_____________________________
eapleitez is offline  
post #117 of 1110 Old 12-14-2007, 04:23 AM
Member
 
TreeFarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: East TN
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now Hear This View Post

My firmware upgrade went exactly as you described - about 10 minutes. I was quite surprised once the cd ejected and initially thought the upgrade had failed. Glad to hear from someone who experienced the upgrade as I did. Thanks!!!

You are welcome. That's why I posted.

I thought the same thing. I was quite surprised when I checked and found the upgrade had actually worked.
TreeFarm is offline  
post #118 of 1110 Old 12-14-2007, 06:35 AM
Member
 
neilb5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was watching Shrek 3 last night and the screen went blank for a couple seconds and then was fine after that. I have watched other DVD's and the audio drops or the video freezes every now and then. This is annoying!

I have updated the firmware to 1.3 and have reintialized the player. My player is connected via HDMI directly to my Sony XBR (1080p). Will changing to Component fix this? If I change to Component, will it still upconvert SD DVD's? Is there anything else I can do or should I just exchange it?
neilb5 is offline  
post #119 of 1110 Old 12-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Newbie
 
yoda1138777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an optical hook up with it set to bitstream and PCM and everytime i play a SD-DVD it says 2ch instead of Multi and I have the latest firmware. I can tell a huge difference when i put in an HD disc so I am pretty sure the player is not outputing correctly. My reciever though says that its 5.1 DD and i can hear some sounds out of the Surrounds but I dont think its the way it should be. Any Suggestions? Thanks for all of your comments and help
yoda1138777 is offline  
post #120 of 1110 Old 12-14-2007, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JOHNnDENVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you AVR says it's DD 5.1 then it is.

The display on several of the HD-DVD player indicates 2 channel erroniously.
JOHNnDENVER is offline  
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off