post #181 of 1110 Old 12-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digex View Post

I am a proud owner of a Toshiba HD-A3. I currently have a older Panansonic 47" HDTV until I can afford to get a new 1080P LCD. I was wondering what everyones best practices were for video and sound. I am currently using Component Video to the HDTV and RCA to sound reciever. Looks great on HD-DVD but my DVD's are downconverted to 480P and not upconverting. I was wondering if I should purchase a HDMI to DVI cable and use it to my HDTV instead of component cables. Is this the best way or should I stay componenet? And if I do use HDMI to DVI will the sound still go through my RCA cables to the reciever or will have to buy a HDMI capable reciever also? Thanks for any help.

A fine example of yet another person that did not read the owners manual to the A3!

I took the red pill.
(and got screwed by Toshiba)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1110 Old 12-18-2007, 07:33 PM

Liked: 10
I am having to ask this as a last resort. I did search the web for this and have had no luck. I have had this player for about a month now. No problems until tonight I tried to play a movie from Blockbuster Online. The disc looks in great shape compared to a couple other HD discs from them before that suprisingly played.

Has anyone ever seen this error message on their player? "The disc is not dvd format, cannot play disc"

I am downloading the firmware as I'm typing this. In anyone's opinion is this a disc problem and not a player problem?

Thanks to anyone willing to reply, Sean
post #183 of 1110 Old 12-18-2007, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by labboy View Post

I am having to ask this as a last resort. I did search the web for this and have had no luck. I have had this player for about a month now. No problems until tonight I tried to play a movie from Blockbuster Online. The disc looks in great shape compared to a couple other HD discs from them before that suprisingly played.

Has anyone ever seen this error message on their player? "The disc is not dvd format, cannot play disc"

I am downloading the firmware as I'm typing this. In anyone's opinion is this a disc problem and not a player problem?

Thanks to anyone willing to reply, Sean

It happened to my player with a "Burned dvd" so maybe what you got was a clone from blockbuster , many renters are making copies and then make them look like originals , By printing the images on them and they look like originals and swap them out.
post #184 of 1110 Old 12-18-2007, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

I was wondering if I should purchase a HDMI to DVI cable and use it to my HDTV instead of component cables. Is this the best way or should I stay componenet? And if I do use HDMI to DVI will the sound still go through my RCA cables to the reciever or will have to buy a HDMI capable reciever also? Thanks for any help.

1. Get an HDMI-DVI cable
2. Use optical audio instead of the RCA stereo pair to get 5.1 sound
post #185 of 1110 Old 12-18-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo9710 View Post

I wanted to get a new receiver anyway. Another excuse to spend more money! (Im about to cry anyway.) Someone else on the forum suggested the Onkyo TX-SR705. I love my old denon. Time to go shopping!

You are not alone. I love my Denon 3805, but am thinking about getting the Onkyo 805.
post #186 of 1110 Old 12-18-2007, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spriteman View Post

monoprice 4x1 HDMI switch (apparently currently back ordered):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

So what does the "built-in equalizer" do? I notice they have one without the equalizer in stock for a few bucks less...
post #187 of 1110 Old 12-19-2007, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

OK, I need help understanding something.

1. When I set the A3 to 480i, the 16:9 setting sizes the image to fit and the projector scales it to 480p. The native setting of course puts the image in the little non strtched box (you guys know what I am talking about)

2. When I set the A3 to 480p same thing except the A3 does the scaling

3. When I set the A3 TO 720P, 16:9 mode scales it to fit, native mode centers the image in the available pixles on my unit and crops the rest. no scaling by the projector.

I understand all of this but the next one is where I'm confused

4. I set the A3 to output 1080i and the projector to 16:9, the projector is scaling the image to fit the screen, but when I set the projector to native it stays exactly the same. What is this doing? I know the projector is downscaling the 1080i image, but why in native? If it centers the native 720p image wouldnt it do the same to the 1080i image and which one is best for both units, 1080i native or 1080i 16:9?

How to identify a future projector owner, he's the kid sitting two feet from the 42" plasma.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=954837
post #188 of 1110 Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 AM

I was getting the message "no disc" when putting in combo discs, so I figured it was the disc. Yesterday I got the same message with a non-combo disc. Long story short, I took the player back to Best Buy and the replacement A3 works great. I couldn't be happier.
post #189 of 1110 Old 12-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

You are not alone. I love my Denon 3805, but am thinking about getting the Onkyo 805.

I can recommend the 805. I love it! It has 3 HDMI in, does all advanced decoding, powerful and THX Ulta2 certified. Amazon has a killer deal on these right now. Check it out!

Mike
post #190 of 1110 Old 12-19-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:

1. Get an HDMI-DVI cable
2. Use optical audio instead of the RCA stereo pair to get 5.1 sound

Thanks! I did exactly that. I also purchased a Onkyo TX-SR505 and Optical Audio cables. I am completely new to this Home Theatre experience and I love it. Cool to be a newbie at something for a change. Most of my time is spent building servers and gaming machines so I understand the PC more than anything. I never even knew the fact they made Optical Audio cables until now. I normally always used RCA, LOL.
post #191 of 1110 Old 12-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe01880 View Post

A fine example of yet another person that did not read the owners manual to the A3!

LOL I did read the manual its just not english to newbies like myself. Nowhere in the manual does it say to use HDMI to DVI cable at all. Yet many users recommend it. My cable box has DVI to DVI which I have tried and works great. I hope I can get some up conversion on standard DVD's but if I dont I will have to get a seperate DVD player just for standard DVD's instead.
post #192 of 1110 Old 12-19-2007, 04:03 PM

I have a HD-A3 what is the best output for sound to a reciever? (Onkyo TX-SR505). I read this sticky http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=bitstream but Im even more confused. I have it going from Optical Out to Optical 1 In. Im using Bitstream, or is PCM recommended?
post #193 of 1110 Old 12-19-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:

I have a HD-A3 what is the best output for sound to a reciever? (Onkyo TX-SR505). I read this sticky http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=bitstream but Im even more confused. I have it going from Optical Out to Optical 1 In. Im using Bitstream, or is PCM recommended?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=946179 Found my questions here. Thanks anywayz
post #194 of 1110 Old 12-19-2007, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes you want player set to bitstreaming. Your HDMI cable does not carry audio so you are using the s/pdif connection (i.e optical).

The method labeled: Legacy S/PDIF (Digital Out) applies to your case. The audio will be downgraded to 640K or 1.5Mbps DTS as that is the limit of spdif. 640K DD is higher bitrate than DVD allows so it will still be better than SD DVD.

Your receiver does have support for 6 channel analog so if you ever wanted to upgrade you could get a player w/ 6 channel analog out and gain full resolution audio.
post #195 of 1110 Old 12-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namechamps View Post

Your receiver does have support for 6 channel analog so if you ever wanted to upgrade you could get a player w/ 6 channel analog out and gain full resolution audio.

What do you mean by this? Higher grade HD-DVD player? Or SD player?
post #196 of 1110 Old 12-19-2007, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
An HD-DVD player with analog outs, like the A35 or XA2.
post #197 of 1110 Old 12-19-2007, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! I did exactly that. I also purchased a Onkyo TX-SR505 and Optical Audio cables. I am completely new to this Home Theatre experience and I love it. Cool to be a newbie at something for a change. Most of my time is spent building servers and gaming machines so I understand the PC more than anything. I never even knew the fact they made Optical Audio cables until now. I normally always used RCA, LOL.

Digex - Welcome to the club. You won't be a newbie for long.

As you are already discovering, audio is the tricky part of these set ups. And, it's getting much more complex with HDMI and the new audio codecs. If you aren't careful in planning out your future needs, it's quite easy to invest a lot of money in equipment that won't work as well as you'd like with the next piece of gear you buy. Just having HDMI on a receiver is not enough. Some AVRs don't process audio via HDMI. Many others can't decode the advanced bitstreams, meaning they have to rely on the player to do the decoding. Right now, no players can decode DTS-HD Master Audio. So, if you want to hear those tracks, you have to get a receiver with DTS-MA decoding.

AVS is great place to learn, even if some people are a bit prickly at times.
post #198 of 1110 Old 12-20-2007, 04:58 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just watched Star Wars EP IV & V last night upconverted on my A3 to my 50E2000 Sony. All I can say is WOW!!!! This has to be the absolute BEST that a standard DVD can look! I can't imagine an HD version looking alot better. Anyone else think these are the best looking upconverted DVD's out?

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #199 of 1110 Old 12-20-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Digex - Welcome to the club. You won't be a newbie for long.

AVS is great place to learn, even if some people are a bit prickly at times.

Thanks BIslander. I havent had this much fun with technology in a long time. I didnt realize how much went into the Home Theatre experience and how much it has changed. I do have a few questions I hope people can answer.

1. Why do my standard DVD's play DTS fine in 2ch mode to the reciever and the bass is actually louder than my HD-DVD? Is this the low bass issue on HD-DVD with Optical out?

2. MNC, how were you able to up convert standard DVD? I am currently unable to? Is it only capable with HDMI with 720P support?

I love these forums. Very active and knowledgable members.
post #200 of 1110 Old 12-20-2007, 09:19 AM

Just hooked up a Toshiba HD-A3 going HDMI to DVI on Toshiba 65HX83

Result, no video...called Toshiba tech support - no results..

I can see the setup menu, I have sound working - just no video. When I hook-up component video it works. Just, not via my HDCP capable DVI. I've upgraded software to v.1.3 (on the HD-A3) otherwise have all default out-of-the-box settings.

This is my second HD-A3, I had the same thing happening with original unit and Toshiba asked me to send it back thinking it was a bad HDMI portsecond unit does the exact same thing as previous.

FYI, my Dish Networks ViP622 DVR going HDMI to DVI on Toshiba 65HX83 works great.

any ideas?

thanks in advance and I hope I have enough info up here to provide guidance, if not just ask.
post #201 of 1110 Old 12-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Just watched Star Wars EP IV & V last night upconverted on my A3 to my 50E2000 Sony. All I can say is WOW!!!! This has to be the absolute BEST that a standard DVD can look! I can't imagine an HD version looking alot better. Anyone else think these are the best looking upconverted DVD's out?

They look good. Try any of the Lord of the Rings.

Mike
post #202 of 1110 Old 12-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

2. MNC, how were you able to up convert standard DVD? I am currently unable to? Is it only capable with HDMI with 720P support?

Yes, you either have to use HDMI or a "backup" copy of the DVD with the copy protection stripped off. Stupid Hollywood.

Mike
post #203 of 1110 Old 12-20-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techzin986 View Post

Just hooked up a Toshiba HD-A3 going HDMI to DVI on Toshiba 65HX83

Result, no video...called Toshiba tech support - no results..

I can see the setup menu, I have sound working - just no video. When I hook-up component video it works. Just, not via my HDCP capable DVI. I've upgraded software to v.1.3 (on the HD-A3) otherwise have all default out-of-the-box settings.

This is my second HD-A3, I had the same thing happening with original unit and Toshiba asked me to send it back thinking it was a bad HDMI portsecond unit does the exact same thing as previous.

FYI, my Dish Networks ViP622 DVR going HDMI to DVI on Toshiba 65HX83 works great.

any ideas?

thanks in advance and I hope I have enough info up here to provide guidance, if not just ask.

Try Component Cables. I hear some HDTV's don't work well with HDMI to DVI cables. I have one on order for delivery today to test myself. My cable box is using DVI to DVI currently to my Panasonic HDTV at 1080i. I will post my results later today with HDMI to DVI.
post #204 of 1110 Old 12-20-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPines View Post

Yes, you either have to use HDMI or a "backup" copy of the DVD with the copy protection stripped off. Stupid Hollywood.

Mike

Really? Gonna try a backup copy of my DVD and see.
post #205 of 1110 Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Really? Gonna try a back copy of the DVD and see.

Yes. As long as the copy protection has been stripped off, it will upconvert via Component.

Mike
post #206 of 1110 Old 12-20-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. Why do my standard DVD's play DTS fine in 2ch mode to the reciever and the bass is actually louder than my HD-DVD? Is this the low bass issue on HD-DVD with Optical out?

Try googling "DTS lfe boost" for more information. But, the bottom line is that you will likely need to increase your sub output by 10db to get the bass where you want it. Many AVRs have a setting for this.

I find DTS bass to be a pretty complicated area, with variables introduced at the encoding stage, the player settings, and the receiver settings. HDMI apparently adds more complexity, depending on whether you are sending DTS as bitstream to the AVR or decoding it in the player and sending multichannel PCM to the receiver. Aren't you glad you asked.
post #207 of 1110 Old 12-20-2007, 01:41 PM

I know there are differing opinions on whether to set the HD-A3 Output to 720p or 1080i (if you have a 1080p TV) and I think it is probably very dependent on how well your 1080p TV upscales and deinterlaces. I did some testing with my setup and it appears to me that the 1080i Output setting works best. My setup is:

TV - Samsung HL-T6187SAX (latest firmware)
DVD - Toshiba HD-A3 (latest firmware)
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR605 (latest firmware)
HDMI - all of the above

Although I couldn't see much difference between the 720p and 1080i Output Settings when viewing HD DVDs (the 1080i appeared slightly better to me), I was able to tell a difference on some of the Video "grids" on the HD version of Digital Video Essentials DVD. With my setup, there was an advantage when using the 1080i Output vs: the 720p output setting on the HD-A3.

Again, "your mileage may vary" but I thought I would report the best setting with my specific combination of devices... IMHO.

Regards, Steve
post #208 of 1110 Old 12-20-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post

I know there are differing opinions on whether to set the HD-A3 Output to 720p or 1080i (if you have a 1080p TV) and I think it is probably very dependent on how well your 1080p TV upscales and deinterlaces.

No, I don't think there is. The question is what looks best if you have a 720p TV. I don't believe I've seen anyone claim that their 1080p TV looked better with input at 720 rather than 1080.

With a 1080i input, there is no upscaling; the set simply takes the fields that were originally sent interlaced and displays them with progressively - that is, put back together.

Now with a 720p TV, I could see a possibility, because there would be some scaling (in this case downscaling) of a 1080 signal, and if the scaling device (whether it's the sending unit or the receiving unit) doesn't do a good job of scaling, the 720 signal could look better. But for a 720 signal to look better than a 1080 signal on a 1080 TV would mean that the whatever did the de-interlacing was really, really bad at it.

At least, that's my understanding of the technology.

RFT!!!
I always try to be modest; I'm very proud of that.

Dave Kelsen
post #209 of 1110 Old 12-20-2007, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Kelsen's comments seem quite correct. I would only add that using the 720p output almost always means rescaling twice. The vast majority of 720p panels are actually 768. So, the player takes a 1080 image and scales it to 720. Then, the set has to upscale it to 768 for display. It seems like it would have to be better to just do one scaling job from 1080 down to 768. My plasma is a 768 display and I have found that feeding it 1080i is always better, albeit only slightly better, than 720p.
post #210 of 1110 Old 12-20-2007, 04:15 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPines View Post

They look good. Try any of the Lord of the Rings.

Mike

They also look good, just not quite the same as SWIV & SWV. Something about them just looks so film-like yet highly detailed. I do think SW ep.VI did not quite match IV & V though.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page