***The Official Toshiba HD-A3 (ONLY) Thread*** - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1110 Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Description: If you're searching for the finest quality high-definition video playback solution that will transform your room into a powerful home theater experience, look no further. The Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD Player will blow you away with HD-DVD resolution and advanced HD-digital audio playback capabilities. The HD-A3 brings your home theater experience to a whole new level, without breaking the bank ,
and will give you features and video quality that will enhance your dvd video expirience.**

I wanted to add this thread since the others are so crammed with different model responses and answers and not specifically this one model,
So I figured it would be alot easier to find info On this one model only.
I had an A1 before my A3 and it was plagued with bugs and errors that was repaired and replaced and still everytime the player came back another problem arose which I sold and purchased the oppo until a 3rd gen hd-dvd player that was affordable came around.
But my A3 so far has been very good to me, I also have the Oppo 980H and I have compared both models and the toshiba has a slight edge over the oppo for sd-dvds and HD-dvds were stunning on my Acer ph530 with the likes of 300 and transformers was great and the sound was great, but since the A3 is a bit picky on reading burned media but the oppo plays everything I throw at it easily and is region free (which I wish the A3 would do) I intend to keep both for the capability of playing a vast array of dvds , so please list your likes and dislikes of the A3, Also your display how it's connected and what audio system do you have..,.

LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 06:02 AM

Liked: 10
I (and others in other forums) are still searching for a remote code to allow the Toshiba Regza (42" 1080p LCD in my case) remote to control the A3-HD. I actually like the Regza remote and would perfer to use it for everything.
post #3 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 06:43 AM

I originally bought an A-2 but had hdmi problems and replaced it with the A-3. So far the A-3 has worked well with the only glitches being having to occasionally change the screen size setting (from 16:9 to 4:3 letterbox) when playing home grown sd dvds and a Netflix sd dvd that didn't provide optical out audio.

The A-3 remote, on the other hand, is a classic case of penny-wise, pound foolish by Toshiba. It won't operate anything else and unless you have an expensive Harmony, Pronto, MX500 or the like, your remote probably won't operate it.

A moral wrong is not a civil right
post #4 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinvt View Post

The A-3 remote, on the other hand, is a classic case of penny-wise, pound foolish by Toshiba. It won't operate anything else and unless you have an expensive Harmony, Pronto, MX500 or the like, your remote probably won't operate it.

I have both the MX-500 and an 800 and it makes my life alot easier to control.
post #5 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 09:10 AM

A few cheaper options would be to get a learning universal. Some can be fairly cheap. I tend to "hide" any remote that comes from the factory so the kids can't break them or they don't get lost. Even a cheap factory remote will cost a ton of money to replace. My solution has been to use JP1 type remotes. There are lots of them out there but my preference is the URC-9910 series as I also use the RF capabilities. Usually when I find them on sale for about $30, I'll buy another. Some of the One For All remotes can update over the phone as well. Never tried that though. Once you get over the learning curve for the JP1 stuff, it's actually quite easy to completely customize your remote. I was easily able to add my A2 and A3 to my 9910's.
post #6 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got a Toshiba HD-A3 from Amazon.com and I have it connected to my Yamaha RX-V1800 via HDMI.

When I play a regular DVD, the Yamaha shows Dolby Digital like it should. When I play an HD-DVD, it goes into PCM mode. Any ideas? Thanks!

:p
post #7 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADebar View Post

I just got a Toshiba HD-A3 from Amazon.com and I have it connected to my Yamaha RX-V1800 via HDMI.

When I play a regular DVD, the Yamaha shows Dolby Digital like it should. When I play an HD-DVD, it goes into PCM mode. Any ideas? Thanks!

Do a search or look in the A3's manual. That's exactly how it's supposed to work. The A3 can not bitstream the newer HD audio codecs due to only having an HDMI 1.2 port. However, it does decode them internally and output them as multichannel PCM to your receiver. Either way, you are still getting HD audio, it's just wrapped in a different container format.
post #8 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinvt View Post

I originally bought an A-2 but had hdmi problems and replaced it with the A-3. So far the A-3 has worked well with the only glitches being having to occasionally change the screen size setting (from 16:9 to 4:3 letterbox) when playing home grown sd dvds and a Netflix sd dvd that didn't provide optical out audio.

So you had a DVD that has a 2 channel audio...what does that have to do with screen type??
post #9 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

Do a search or look in the A3's manual. That's exactly how it's supposed to work. The A3 can not bitstream the newer HD audio codecs due to only having an HDMI 1.2 port. However, it does decode them internally and output them as multichannel PCM to your receiver. Either way, you are still getting HD audio, it's just wrapped in a different container format.

I am confused on audio out of the A3. If my receiver only has coaxial in do I get dolby digital or DTS from an HD movie. I am not looking for the HD audio unless the A3 has the 6 analog outputs for audio
I would want at least the same quality audio I get from SD DVD's

Is that going to happen

Thanks

Dan
post #10 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

I am confused on audio out of the A3. If my receiver only has coaxial in do I get dolby digital or DTS from an HD movie. I am not looking for the HD audio unless the A3 has the 6 analog outputs for audio

Is that going to happen

Thanks

The A3 doesnt have an AC3 out. It only has HDMI, TOSLINK (optical), and 2 channel analog.
post #11 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 10:38 AM

I'm shipping my A3 back to Toshiba for service today. It will not play a few HD DVD's without locking up playback at a certain spot. (Evan Almighty and I now pronounce you Larry and Chuck) The 1.3 FW upgrade did not solve my issue either. Sucks. But obviously others A3's are working just fine, so I guess I got a bad one.
post #12 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerminator View Post

I'm shipping my A3 back to Toshiba for service today. It will not play a few HD DVD's without locking up playback at a certain spot. (Evan Almighty and I now pronounce you Larry and Chuck) The 1.3 FW upgrade did not solve my issue either. Sucks. But obviously others A3's are working just fine, so I guess I got a bad one.

My A3 has performed flawlessly and one of those *expensive* Harmony Remotes ($99 for the 670) is SO worth the money!

I took the red pill.
(and got screwed by Toshiba)
post #13 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz View Post

I have both the MX-500 and an 800 and it makes my life alot easier to control.

Does the MX-500 have a code that works with the A3 or did you have to learn all the functions? (I'm using the MX-500 and just received my A3 from hhgregg yesterday, haven't even taken it out of the box yet). Thanks.

Vin
post #14 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerminator View Post

Mine failed on Chuck and Larry also. I upgraded at that point and it worked fine since.

Did they give you an estimate on how long it takes to repair? Or do they just drop ship you a new/refurbed one?
post #15 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

Does the MX-500 have a code that works with the A3 or did you have to learn all the functions? (I'm using the MX-500 and just received my A3 from hhgregg yesterday, haven't even taken it out of the box yet). Thanks.

Look in the mx-500 manual , it has lots of Toshiba dvd player codes that do work with the A3 , and whatever won't work just teach it the commands that are missing.
Give it a whirl you never know what you can find.
post #16 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

Is that going to happen

Thanks

If I understand you correctly it sounds like you'd be interested in this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #17 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 06:02 PM

Well, got my A3 from Amazon yesterday, ran home from work and proceeded to tear apart my old SD DVD player and sit back and enjoy my HD.

Of course as soon as I turned everything on, I went from Happy to Sad due to HDMI issues between player, receiver and tv. I should have known better.

As far as my setup goes, I have a Toshiba TV (older rear CRT, but only 3 years old), a Pioneer VSX-72TXV (2 years old) and of course the A3.

When I went to power up everything (and yes, I went TV, Receiver and A3) it seems the receiver syncs up ok as the HDMI light comes on and I can hear audio no problem, but the TV just did a few flashes and then nothing, blank screen. Regardless of the order I powered on the equipment same issue.

I can get picture if I go HDMI direct from A3 to TV, but not through receiver. Damn it, this stuff is only 2-3 years old.

So, right now I have HDMI to TV and Optical to Receiver and will be contacting Toshiba in the morning to see what they say. But I'm not very positive regarding the outcome as I've been down this road once before.

What bothers me is my original DVD player is a Toshiba that plays perfect in this situation. Granted it is HDMI 1.1 (don't think its 1.2) along with my TV, but it should work.

Todd
post #18 of 1110 Old 12-04-2007, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #19 of 1110 Old 12-05-2007, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some thing funny happened to me on monday and it happened again today, I was watching an sd-dvd connected via hdmi and it was outputting 480p instead of 720p that I selected in the menu and I'm wondering what's going on?
post #20 of 1110 Old 12-05-2007, 04:27 PM

Received my A3 from Amazon yesterday. Hooked up with component and optical audio to my Panny HTIB and Samsung 43in DLP. Set up A3 for 720p and watched a bit of the "300" DVD which came with the A3 and had no problems. Flawless picture and excellent sound. Will try a regular DVD tonight but don't anticipate any problems. Can't use HDMI since my DLP is 4 years old and does not have HDMI hookup, but there seems to be lots of issues with HDMI so I am happy to stick with component.
post #21 of 1110 Old 12-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayanomich View Post

Received my A3 from Amazon yesterday. Hooked up with component and optical audio to my Panny HTIB and Samsung 43in DLP. Set up A3 for 720p and watched a bit of the "300" DVD which came with the A3 and had no problems. Flawless picture and excellent sound. Will try a regular DVD tonight but don't anticipate any problems. Can't use HDMI since my DLP is 4 years old and does not have HDMI hookup, but there seems to be lots of issues with HDMI so I am happy to stick with component.

I am using HDMI to DVI, no,ploblems at all!

I took the red pill.
(and got screwed by Toshiba)
post #22 of 1110 Old 12-05-2007, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
a month in and NO problems..haven't updated either!
post #23 of 1110 Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 PM

Loaded 1.3 with no problems.

Purchased disks are running fine, but am having major problems with rentals from Netflix.

Get an error message "no disk".

Ones with a std version on the flip side will run the standard version OK.

initialized the system & washed disks, still no luck - BlueRay rentals from the same source are also working fine.

Any thoughts?
post #24 of 1110 Old 12-06-2007, 08:07 AM

No problem with SD DVDs on the A3 either...great picture. Don't want to mess with HDMI to DVI since component hookup is flawless. good luck to all with your A3s.
post #25 of 1110 Old 12-06-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post

A few cheaper options would be to get a learning universal. Some can be fairly cheap. I tend to "hide" any remote that comes from the factory so the kids can't break them or they don't get lost. Even a cheap factory remote will cost a ton of money to replace. My solution has been to use JP1 type remotes. There are lots of them out there but my preference is the URC-9910 series as I also use the RF capabilities. Usually when I find them on sale for about $30, I'll buy another. Some of the One For All remotes can update over the phone as well. Never tried that though. Once you get over the learning curve for the JP1 stuff, it's actually quite easy to completely customize your remote. I was easily able to add my A2 and A3 to my 9910's.

After going from 1 "cheap" universal remote to another, I finally took the plunge and purchased a Harmony 670 (Amazon had a hot deal a few months ago for $60 shipped) remote. This is one of the best electronic things I have purchased. EVER!

Don't waste time with any other brand of universal remote... Harmony blows them all away. Invest in one and you will fall in love too.

Now I can put my cheaply made A3 remote on the shelf and never have to use it again.
post #26 of 1110 Old 12-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Anyone have any recommendations on whether to set the RGB output on the A3 to standard or enhanced? I have a Soanyo Z5 projector that can accept studio RGB (16-235) or PC RGB (0-255) over HDMI (L1 for studio, L2 for PC). I've tried setting RGB to enhanced and even turning on the enhanced black option (not sure what this does if enhanced already sets black to 0 IRE, which I assumed it does with a 0 to 255 colorspace). I get better color range and saturation with enhanced but I can't get the blacks right. they are too washed out. on L1 (Sanyo PJ) and standard RJB the blacks and whites are better but I don't get the 3D pop to the image I with RGB enhanced, but RGB enhanced just looks too washed out (contrast)?

Any suggestions?

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #27 of 1110 Old 12-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post

The Upgrade over the phone (or email) works fine. I had my 8910 upgraded for my receiver, tv, HD-DVD player, Xbox 360, and Cable Box. I did it through email. Got the sound file. played it, viola, upgrade complete.
post #28 of 1110 Old 12-06-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post

Anyone have any recommendations on whether to set the RGB output on the A3 to standard or enhanced? I have a Soanyo Z5 projector that can accept studio RGB (16-235) or PC RGB (0-255) over HDMI (L1 for studio, L2 for PC). I've tried setting RGB to enhanced and even turning on the enhanced black option (not sure what this does if enhanced already sets black to 0 IRE, which I assumed it does with a 0 to 255 colorspace). I get better color range and saturation with enhanced but I can't get the blacks right. they are too washed out. on L1 (Sanyo PJ) and standard RJB the blacks and whites are better but I don't get the 3D pop to the image I with RGB enhanced, but RGB enhanced just looks too washed out (contrast)?

Any suggestions?

Enhanced black is only used on the component out. Technically, for an HDMI to HDMI connection, the RGB setting should have no effect, but apparently it does (it should only effect HDMI to DVI). For proper settings, you should run standard RGB though. Then use a calibration disc to set the video settings on your projector. Just because you get more color from using enhanced RGB doesn't mean that it is accurate.
post #29 of 1110 Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 AM

Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble with a 2 minute video I need to loop. I think I may not be burning it at the optimum size/biterate for the HD-A3, because it will loop a few times, and the player crashes!

What would you recommend I burn HD media onto a DVD-R as, spec wise?
I am currently burning it at:

2 minute video file
1280x720p
15mb/s @ Constant Bit Rate
29.97 fps

I'm using DVD Studio Pro 4.1.2 on a mac, and Tayo-Yuden DVD-Rs. Signal is being output to via HDMI to 1080i Toshiba 42HL167 HDTV.

I can burn at pretty much any frame rate/size/data rate, so just let me know what might be a standard. The loop needs to go on for at least 8 hrs.

Thanks for any input!!!
post #30 of 1110 Old 12-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

Enhanced black is only used on the component out. Technically, for an HDMI to HDMI connection, the RGB setting should have no effect, but apparently it does (it should only effect HDMI to DVI). For proper settings, you should run standard RGB though. Then use a calibration disc to set the video settings on your projector. Just because you get more color from using enhanced RGB doesn't mean that it is accurate.

Thanks rynberg. It seems that in the Z4/Z5 Tweak threads everyone is recoomending setting the HDMI RGB input setting to L2 for the enhanced RGB colorspace. I can't get anything to look natural or accurate for the life of me. I actually get richer blacks, brighter whites and better shadow detail using standard for the A3 and my xbox 360 as well (I was surprised at that one, thougth it would look better at PC output levels for sure). When I set the A3 or 360 to RGB output skintones look clayish and the only way I can get decent blacks is to adjust the B & C until I get no shadow detail...dark areas just look like an empty space.

Guess this is just another case of 'trust your own eyes'...no one setting will look good to everyone.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page