Toshiba HD-A3 v1.3 Bourne Ultimatum Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2007, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a problem at the 1:29 mark where the player hiccups with blockies and freezes for a second but then is fine for the rest of the movie. It does it everytime in the same spot. Is this happening with anyone else?

I have it connected to a projector w/ 720p and HDMI
I upgraded the firmware by CD and this is the only HD-DVD that has given me problems
Thanks for your help comments or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have not seen it on to many HD-DVD's, but this sure sounds like a classic layer change. If so, there is no issue.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Someone else posted this with an A35 player and said around the 1:27 mark so I'd guess its the layer change too.

Blue Discs: 28....Next purchase...The Rock
Red Discs: 7....Next purchase...Is there a need to?
PS3 Games: 4....Next purchase...GT5
Just a bluish shade of purple....Neutrality is calming!
Old 12-14-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hd dvds don't freeze on layer change.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:26 AM

I have the a30 and the first time if froze up all over the place, the second time watching the movie if froze up and all I could do was pull the power. And this was a brand new disc.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hmmm we have two negative posts in this thread with a total of 10 posts between the two.
Need I say any more.

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
Old 12-14-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Hmmm we have two negative posts in this thread with a total of 10 posts between the two.
Need I say any more.

Craig

Please do, i don't understand what you mean by that. If you said more maybe i would.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if it might be a layer change but I havent had it happen on any others. I hope that this wont become a bigger issue with this player if it is the problem. Other than that everything else is great.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

swap the disc to be sure, sounds like a bad copy.

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:58 PM

I just played through my Bourne Ultimatum from the 1.20 mark to the 1.40 without any problems. My A35 is very sensitive and frequently gets hung up on layer changes especially with combo discs. I have had no issues with the Bourne Ultimatum so that would lead me to believe you got a bad disc, if the layer change was hanging up players my A35 would be one of the first affected.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Its not a bad copy my A35 screwed up at 1:39 mark, video stuttered for a second, leaving audio out of sync, RW for 20 seconds, pressed play, all is well. There are a number of reports of these glitches all seen in the last 20 minutes of the movie from what I've read. I will try and play it through next week on the XA2, its a good enough movie to watch again so soon and see if the XA2 comes through with a flawless playback.

Check this thread, many, many people have a similar error around the same time, some at other times, sounds like a lot of bad discs maybe! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=951378

Blue Discs: 28....Next purchase...The Rock
Red Discs: 7....Next purchase...Is there a need to?
PS3 Games: 4....Next purchase...GT5
Just a bluish shade of purple....Neutrality is calming!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

just saw the movie, no problems on the 360.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:48 PM

We have now watched BU 3x - not one issue to speak of as far as freezeups or hiccups.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 PM

I watched it last night, it locked up right after he drove the car off the parking garage.
I tried 3 times to get it to play each time it locked up then displayed an error.
I turned the disk over and watched SD DVD .
I'll be taking the disk back to get a new one.
By the way I have the A35.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Combos are just a bad idea. Too many problems.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

Combos are just a bad idea. Too many problems.

Combo's were a great idea, but they are not as reliable that is for sure. Also, I think it is insane to force people who will never use the SD-DVD side of the disc to pay a premium.

Craig

Old 12-14-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:

Combo's were a great idea, but they are not as reliable that is for sure. Also, I think it is insane to force people who will never use the SD-DVD side of the disc to pay a premium.

Craig

At least I had the SD-DVD side to finish watching the movie, I would have been really bummed not being able to watch the end.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleto View Post

At least I had the SD-DVD side to finish watching the movie, I would have been really bummed not being able to watch the end.

true, but if it wasn't a combo you wouldn't have had a problem in the first place. They could pack in a 2nd SD dvd in the box instead of a combo but greedy studios would think you'd ebay it.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:53 PM

Beyond problems with the “loading” screen for web-enabled features (same problem with 1st disc of the BG-Season One set) that Microsoft ought to find a work-around for, many, many people seem to be having skipping/stalling problems in or around the chapter 13-14 mark. Luckily, I got mine from Netflix, so I don’t have to deal with returning or exchanging the disc.

I’m using the 360 add-on which has never given me this sort of trouble with any other title. Considering that Microsoft and Universal both insist on maintaining this format war (until MS can swoop in like a with a variant of their video download service to save the day?) they’d better get their heads together and figure out a way for Uni’s ridiculous “combo discs” and MS’s 360 HD-DVD to play well with each other.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Craig

Not to be a jerk - but why, exactly? The only possible reasoning I can think of is to hook the people who may be planning on buying an HD-DVD player in the future and want to hedge their bets. This seems like a pretty slender thread from which to hang this 'combo' concept, don't it? Why would an early HD adopter be wowed by the inclusion of a standard-def version that will never be played?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I will try it out on my Onkyo unit... Hopefully with good results...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Old 12-14-2007, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by withnail View Post

Not to be a jerk - but why, exactly? The only possible reasoning I can think of is to hook the people who may be planning on buying an HD-DVD player in the future and want to hedge their bets. This seems like a pretty slender thread from which to hang this 'combo' concept, don't it? Why would an early HD adopter be wowed by the inclusion of a standard-def version that will never be played?

trust me when an SD version is less than half hd combo prices there is almost noone buying them to future proof. I have a few combos myself and never used the sd side. Also the whole point of slow hd adaption is because people are waiting out which format will win out... Regular joes are not that is waiting for a side wins out, they are not buying a format that can potentially be obsolete.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by withnail View Post

Combo's could have been a good thing. Lets face it. If they didn't cost $10 more than the average HD-DVD and the fact that it is obvious that they are not as reliable as other non combo HD-DVD's, combo's would be welcomed with open arms. But for what ever the reason, Toshiba can't seem to get its act together with them.
Where the combo's could be good, (if they get them more reliable) is to package the HD version with the SD version and offer no other alternatives to those without a HD player but to buy the combo version.

Craig

Old 12-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Combo's could have been a good thing. Lets face it. If they didn't cost $10 more than the average HD-DVD and the fact that it is obvious that they are not as reliable as other non combo HD-DVD's, combo's would be welcomed with open arms. But for what ever the reason, Toshiba can't seem to get its act together with them.
Where the combo's could be good, (if they get them more reliable) is to package the HD version with the SD version and offer no other alternatives to those without a HD player but to buy the combo version.

Craig

Combo's are a good thing. Some people have had issues but for the majority there's no issue at all. It isn't about futureproofing, it's about extending the legs of all the current DVD players you already own. Most households have at least 3 or more at this point.

I'd like to hear less problems from people about combos, but this is a forum and people with problems are more vocal than those who don't.

I do agree about the combo only SD release being a powerful marketing option, but only if HD DVD prices, combos in particular get closer to average DVD prices.

Back on the topic, I'm picking up Bourne Ult. tomorrow. I'll post any problems if I see them.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:42 PM

I had some stuttering and audio out of sync in the last 10 minutes of the movie. I thought it was because the disk came from Netflix, even though I examined it very closely beforehand and didn't see any scratches. Nice to see there's a possible alternative explanation for it.

In my case, hooking up with Mr. Chocolate and Mr. Marshmallow could be fatal.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:09 PM

A35 (with v.1.3) user here and I also use Netflix. I'm having the same issue as many in that, beginning in chapter 16, right after driving off the parking garage, the movie stutters and freezes. If I can get it to play again it continues to stutter and the audio is out of sync by about 5 seconds. The disk appeared to be scratch-free through there were some finger prints from the previous user which I cleaned with alcohol. Cleaning made no difference. One time, after the video froze, the entire unit locked up to the point that the power button no longer worked and I had to pull the power cord. I'm going to try another disk; however, based on the other posts, it doesn't sound like it will make any difference.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:41 AM

I have noticed there is quite a bit of heat inside my player. After upgrading the firmware and still having problems even on new discs I decided to take the cover off to vent the excess heat. It seems to have helped but I would like to install more fans inside. It has this teeny tiny fan in the back which isn't doing a whole lot. I would like to install one on the heat sink and another on the cover which will needs some modification. There is another chipset in there that should probably have a heat sink on it also.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:04 PM

I played BU with no problems on my XA2 via HDMI.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:35 PM

Liked: 11
I played this in my A30 tonight with 0 problems.

We all go a little mad sometimes...
Old 12-16-2007, 11:22 PM

had problems with it playing on my a3, from 127 on I could not finish the movie.