Turning off HDMI Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-19-2007, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an A35 running optical audio to YSP-3000 and HDMI video to Samsung LNT-4042. I cannot turn off the audio through HDMI unless I press mute. Is there a way to disable audio in HDMI?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-19-2007, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestigg35 View Post

Is there a way to disable audio in HDMI?

Nope. HDMI audio is always there. I just turn the sound off on my TV when I watch movies.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-19-2007, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yeah, just turn down the volume on your television, a pain but it works.

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #4 of 14 Old 12-19-2007, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

If you use your receiver for all audio most Samsung HDTV have an option called internal mute. It turns off the speakers, prevents someone from accidently adjusting the volume on TV and even cuts out the internal amplifier. It's the next best thing to an actual removable speaker. I wish they made more TV with either no speaker or a removable speaker.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Namechamp:
Thanks I'll look into it tonight. My cable box HDMI to the receiver. So all my audio pass through receiver. That would be a great option.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 09:21 AM

If there is one issue I have with the A3 it is the inability to shut down the HDMI audio. This is something that should be handled by the players software. Muting the TV is an option that should not need to be employed. It appears Toshiba assumes we all have HDMI capable receivers.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjc View Post

If there is one issue I have with the A3 it is the inability to shut down the HDMI audio. This is something that should be handled by the players software. Muting the TV is an option that should not need to be employed. It appears Toshiba assumes we all have HDMI capable receivers.

well... the audio is embedded in the video stream (this is by spec, not a decision that toshiba is making)... so it probably isn't going to happen...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjc View Post

If there is one issue I have with the A3 it is the inability to shut down the HDMI audio.

Even on SD DVD players with HDMI output, you can't disable audio, it's just always there. Actually, turning off the TV volume is really no big deal for me.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

my tv allows me to set the speakers to "off" so that is what I do...i always wonder whether having the speakers present on the tv messes up the hdmi handshake dance and the players handling of audio from the s/pdif and/or analog connections; i.e., the tv tells the player that it has audio and what its capabilities are and theoretically the player is supposed to take this informat from hdmi and properly configure itself for output, presumably only on the hdmi connection...
post #10 of 14 Old 12-22-2007, 04:38 PM

How do you turn off the internal speakers for Samsung HLN5065W and send sound to monitor out? Thanks.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-22-2007, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
On my Samsung I hit the Menu button on the Tv's remote, go to audio and set internal speakers to off.

If I remember correctly I could just hook up an optical cable from the tv into the receiver and that was it.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Interesting thread. So if you HD cable box goes into the receiver, will the receiver still pass video & audio if you decide not to use the surround sound? Seems like a silly question but I am hoping HDMI can be passed without needing to turn on the receiver (kind of like old shcool coaxial cable signals through the VCR). If it can't, how do users watch cable without needing to turn on the receiver? Perhaps an external HDMI hub or splitter?
post #13 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

Interesting thread. So if you HD cable box goes into the receiver, will the receiver still pass video & audio if you decide not to use the surround sound? Seems like a silly question but I am hoping HDMI can be passed without needing to turn on the receiver (kind of like old shcool coaxial cable signals through the VCR). If it can't, how do users watch cable without needing to turn on the receiver? Perhaps an external HDMI hub or splitter?

Most receiver's don't turn off they go into standby. It depends on the model but some will pass audio/video while in standby. Some will need to be on/muted to use the HDTV speakers.

I don't see the need to use the crappy TV speaker ever. Once you get use to it using the receiver all the time is a better option.

I always use my receiver 100% of the time. It has a stereo mode and even using just the Front Left & Right speakers it sounds much better than any speaker built into an HDTV. Let's face it the speakers in the TV is just and afterthought with no consideration for quality what so ever. I wish more designs had removable speakers.

I run all my audio to the receiver.
I leave my HDTV on internal mute (impossible to accidentally turn on speaker without going to the audio menu).

Usually for movies or TV programs I care about I run 5.1 setup. For sports or casual TV browsing I drop it to stereo or all channel stereo.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by namechamps View Post

Most receiver's don't turn off they go into standby. It depends on the model but some will pass audio/video while in standby. Some will need to be on/muted to use the HDTV speakers.

I don't see the need to use the crappy TV speaker ever. Once you get use to it using the receiver all the time is a better option.

Thanks for the input. It would be nice to not have to turn on the receiver and save some electricity when watching the news
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page