post #121 of 136 Old 01-19-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Toshiba is supporting all HD DVD player with upgrades as they are developed.

With all due respect, you fail to mention the COUNTLESS number of folks (myself included), who have encountered more/different problems after upgrading firmware. Simply peruse this section of AVS for the myriad of problems concerning ALL generations of Toshiba players. Gen 4 won't be any different!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 136 Old 01-19-2008, 11:41 AM

Liked: 10
While I can't say I haven't seen the issue threads, I've had zero issues with the XA2 and A3 players I have set up (thru 2-3 firmware updates) and I know of 6 other people that have owned or still own at least one model with no issues.
post #123 of 136 Old 01-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Absolutely 100% wrong. Toshiba's 4th gen player line-up will be shipping just after CEDIA. Toshiba has plans in development for a series of firmware fixes and upgrades to advance the current 3rd gen players while we're waiting for video processor technology to mature just a tad more. Toshiba's philosophy is to release 4th gen players when the hardware can give us something to talk about.

-Robert

Wait... CEDIA is September 3 - 7, 2008. What's the point of releasing the 4th gen player at that point, unless it is a combo player?

fitprod
post #124 of 136 Old 01-19-2008, 11:54 AM

I can only report what I am told. I'm asked questions and provide the best, most accurate information at the time. This is a very fluid situation and things change very rapidly. Over the nest few months we'll see what unfolds.

-Robert
post #125 of 136 Old 01-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassp View Post

I really like to see a super resolution chip in this 4th gen players

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/04/12...version-techn/

Oh, yeah! I like the idea of 'judderless', no-motion-blur conversion from 24fps to 60fps instead of 2:3 pulldown - for people like me, with a 720p/60 projector that doesn't accept 24p, it would be great.

Of course, the Super-Resolution processing is exciting enough! I really respect Yves Faroudja, so his endorsement of the technology means a lot to me. (hmmm, the spell checker suggested "Aroused" instead of "Faroudja" - how did it know how I feel when I read about Faroudja processing and such???)

Ty C. :-)
----------
"Riff Randal, Rock-n-Roller!"
post #126 of 136 Old 01-19-2008, 04:27 PM

I think Intel developed Super-Resolution:

Converting DVD into HD DVD
post #127 of 136 Old 01-19-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I thought it was a Sony and Toshiba joint venture or was that just for the PS3 Processor
post #128 of 136 Old 01-20-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassp View Post

I think Intel developed Super-Resolution:

Converting DVD into HD DVD

The idea of super resolution is 20 to 30 years old but it wasn't until the 90's that the algorithms and computer power came together to allow the process to be applied to photos. We are now waiting for the power to use it on live video.

Intel is desperately searching for killer apps that will require you to upgrade your computers.
post #129 of 136 Old 01-20-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResOGlas View Post

The facts are that Toshiba canceled their press conference and didn't show any new HD DVD players at CES.

Toshiba didn't have any new HD DVD player at CES. If that doesn't say anything to you, I don't think you understand how this industry works.

And of course you do...What I dont get is that the HD media market is less than 1.5 percent on the market but BD won and HD DVD is done.....done with losing more or less money than BD? BD has sold more discs and Toshibe more players(not counting the PS3)...so they both lose. This isn't even a "war"....its like 2 7 year olds wrestling over a swing at the park....

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #130 of 136 Old 01-20-2008, 03:12 PM

Redundant post
Sorry, Should have read ahead!

Help a Family in need, Show Them We Care! Like it on Facebook and tweet it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #131 of 136 Old 01-20-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

And of course you do...What I dont get is that the HD media market is less than 1.5 percent on the market but BD won and HD DVD is done.....done with losing more or less money than BD? BD has sold more discs and Toshibe more players(not counting the PS3)...so they both lose. This isn't even a "war"....its like 2 7 year olds wrestling over a swing at the park....

I agree, we have not seen a war, the soldiers are in the barracks watching DVD, cable and satelite, they are not terribly interested in joining in any fight.

Sony has sold millions of players to a demographic that is not terribly interested.

The question is whether Toshiba can sell millions of players to a demographic that is interested in movies. I think I know how they can sell millions of players but I have no idea if that will translate to movie sales. Of course on the other hand, does Toshiba care? It's hard to tell if anybodys wants to sell HD DVD discs, look at their price vs blu ray, I see that Amazon is selling blue for half price again.

This is rhetorical, does Toshiba want to sell players and sell HD discs or are they trying to stop blu ray. Those are really two different questions and may have two different answers and two different tactics.

In all honesty, after buying into HD DVD, there are movies that I want on HD but for the most part I will stick with DVD for many purchases. I hate to admit this, I have 6 DVD players in the house and another one in the car, whoops add another 4 installed in the computers. There are a few movies that I really want to dive into and watch over and over, those are HD material. The rest are background noise or entertainment for the wife and kids, those are DVD material.

If Toshiba can make a gen 4 player that improves the picture of DVD, I would probably buy 2 more of them. If I had 3 Toshiba players, I would buy more HD DVDs but I would still buy most of my movies on DVD. Now is this a problem for Toshiba? Depends on what Toshiba really wants, more HD DVDs sold or stopping blu-ray.
post #132 of 136 Old 01-20-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

^
1st = XBOX 360
2nd = Wii
3rd = PS2
4th = PS3

And I never said "this generation"

The PS2 still outsells the PS3 (I've read that december sales for PS3 were only 400,000 in NA...I'm thinking that sounds low, but I read that in another thread). Hell, PS2 may even be outselling XBOX 360, for that matter.

You missed the first....

DS lite. they have more of those sold than the current gen combined

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #133 of 136 Old 01-20-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdoc1 View Post

I agree, we have not seen a war, the soldiers are in the barracks watching DVD, cable and satelite, they are not terribly interested in joining in any fight.

Sony has sold millions of players to a demographic that is not terribly interested.

The question is whether Toshiba can sell millions of players to a demographic that is interested in movies. I think I know how they can sell millions of players but I have no idea if that will translate to movie sales. Of course on the other hand, does Toshiba care? It's hard to tell if anybodys wants to sell HD DVD discs, look at their price vs blu ray, I see that Amazon is selling blue for half price again.

This is rhetorical, does Toshiba want to sell players and sell HD discs or are they trying to stop blu ray. Those are really two different questions and may have two different answers and two different tactics.

In all honesty, after buying into HD DVD, there are movies that I want on HD but for the most part I will stick with DVD for many purchases. I hate to admit this, I have 6 DVD players in the house and another one in the car, whoops add another 4 installed in the computers. There are a few movies that I really want to dive into and watch over and over, those are HD material. The rest are background noise or entertainment for the wife and kids, those are DVD material.

If Toshiba can make a gen 4 player that improves the picture of DVD, I would probably buy 2 more of them. If I had 3 Toshiba players, I would buy more HD DVDs but I would still buy most of my movies on DVD. Now is this a problem for Toshiba? Depends on what Toshiba really wants, more HD DVDs sold or stopping blu-ray.

For what I highlighted in red, Wouldn't blue ray have the very same problem with SD DVD's too? Is blue ray just trying to stop HD DVD?

Help a Family in need, Show Them We Care! Like it on Facebook and tweet it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #134 of 136 Old 01-20-2008, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So, Q3 '08 is the plan for new players. Thanks for the info, Robert.

P.S. I hope they release an inexpensive one with good DVD upconversion and a smaller form factor. All their current players are too large IMO.

|
|
|
post #135 of 136 Old 01-21-2008, 05:37 AM

I hope a model with 7.1 analog outs and internal decoding DTS-HD-MA like Pana BD-50
post #136 of 136 Old 01-21-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown Fan View Post

For what I highlighted in red, Wouldn't blue ray have the very same problem with SD DVD's too? Is blue ray just trying to stop HD DVD?

Toshiba wins with a status quo. Sony wins if they can shift people away from DVD.

That is why the super resolution upconverter 4th gen player would have been a home run if the studios were still 50/50. They could have sold enough players to keep blue from ever winning which would have been a win for them and may have tipped the ballance for a second win with eventual domination of the HD market.

I am not interested in buying another 3rd gen player unless they add some features. I would be very interested in a 4th generation player with a spursengine.
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page