Should I return my HD DVD Player? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 173 Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would return the A3 and put the money towards a ps3. You don't have a library of HD DVD movies so why bother keeping something will have little (if any) studio support by the end of the year? The A3 is a good DVD up converting player but then again the ps3 should do a good job of that as well.

I returned my A35 that I got for xmas because I only had the HD movies that came with it and I already have a great DVD up converter in my Denon 3910.

The fire sale on Toshiba players and soon the movies to come is perfect for people that already bought into the format to build their libraries and insure that they have something to play them back on in the years to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 173 Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

It's a price competitive up converting player that also plays HD DVD. I would say that you should keep it unless you've already got a better up converter.

I'm actually trolling auction sites for people that aren't seeing them as upconverters and picking them up for my parents and in-laws, neither of which have upconverting players are are extremely unlikely to put a game machine in their living room. Throw in the fact that they are coming with 2+ HD movies is just a bonus.

Webdev511
San Jose, CA
TrueHD = DTS-MA = LPCM
Low Bit Rate AVC > Low Bit Rate VC-1
High Bit Rate VC-1 > High Bit Rate AVC
MPEG-2 = Great for DVD and that's about it.
post #153 of 173 Old 01-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShow87 View Post

For christmas I got the Toshiba HD A3 player and loved it. But over the past week I've been starting to feel like the Blu Ray will win over HD DVD and that it would be a prudent decision to get a blu ray player. BTW, my mom got it from costco, so I can return it basically any time. So, should I return it and invest in a blu ray player? I was thinking since I'm a gamer I would get a PS3 since it's around the price range of other blue ray players and well... it plays other games my 360 doesn't play.

It's a shame, since I was really pulling for HD DVD and I was only able to watch 1 HD movie since I got my new A3 and I might have to return it. I didn't even send in for the free movies...

I would say don't stress, this is a really fun hobby. I would say if you are really worried about it, return it and get a PS3 since you are a gamer and this would give you more bang for your buck right now. However, see what happens with Uni and Para over the next few weeks and months. If they hold out, go pick up a cheap HD DVD player and a few movies that you can't live without. The movie and players should be cheap soon and it can become your primary SD DVD player. Just a thought.
post #154 of 173 Old 01-17-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotkey View Post

I could use some help with this very issue too. HD DVD really doesn't wow me either but I'm watching via component connection on an older 53 inch Pioneer 1080i rear projector (before DLP vintage). And, the connection is not direct, it is component through my Sony A/V receiver.

Do I need a new TV to see the dif?

You need a new TV (1080p...60" or larger) , new HDMI 1.3a receiver and HDMI cables. You won't believe the difference in both sight and sound!

Jerry Rappaport
post #155 of 173 Old 01-17-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

You got an HD-DVD player for $98 and you're returning it? Why bother?? For that price you can at least have an HD-DVD player to play the remaining HD-DVD studios discs and also upconvert SD movies.

It may not make sense to you but it makes perfect sense to me. Like I said in my original post, I believe the writing is on the wall and this is a good time to abandon HD DVD for me.

I dont need another upconverting player, as the PS3 does an excellent job of that. I don't buy movies, I rent them so I have no need to keep a player around to play HD DVD's that I have purchased. The 40GB PS3 retails for $399, and with the current Sonystyle campaign, it's $299. Together with the $100 I got back for the HD-A2 I returned, the new PS3 ends up costing me roughly $200. That's a good price for me.
post #156 of 173 Old 01-17-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJRapp View Post

You need a new TV (1080p...60" or larger) , new HDMI 1.3a receiver and HDMI cables. You won't believe the difference in both sight and sound!

I hope you are joking. You don't need any of that. For certain, not a 1.3 receiver. Why???? How do you have the audio connected? Optcial or digital coax should be fine if you don't have HDMI.
Try the component connection directly, as the receiver may be doing something to it (ala HK-247 ish). Otherwise, if you can defeat the processing (upconversion) in the receiver, then let the player do it. On a 53 inch 1080i set, you should be wowed.

Pat
post #157 of 173 Old 01-17-2008, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp777 View Post

It may not make sense to you but it makes perfect sense to me. Like I said in my original post, I believe the writing is on the wall and this is a good time to abandon HD DVD for me.

I dont need another upconverting player, as the PS3 does an excellent job of that. I don't buy movies, I rent them so I have no need to keep a player around to play HD DVD's that I have purchased. The 40GB PS3 retails for $399, and with the current Sonystyle campaign, it's $299. Together with the $100 I got back for the HD-A2 I returned, the new PS3 ends up costing me roughly $200. That's a good price for me.

Again, I can't imagine going through that for just $98, which was an unbelievable deal. For that price, just keep it and put it in another room. I understand that HD-DVD took a blow with the Warner announcement but I don't think it is completely dead yet.

BTW, I have an A20 and also getting a PS3.
post #158 of 173 Old 01-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech View Post

Again, I can't imagine going through that for just $98, which was an unbelievable deal. For that price, just keep it and put it in another room. I understand that HD-DVD took a blow with the Warner announcement but I don't think it is completely dead yet.

BTW, I have an A20 and also getting a PS3.

What is it that you dont understand or can't imagine? It's $100 spent on something I dont need or want. It was a great deal back in early Nov of 2007, but today you can find factory sealed A2's and A3's all day long on ebay for $100 or less. And online retailers are fast approaching the $100 mark as well for new A3 units.

You keep saying that "Im going thru all that". Going thru what? Walking in to Walmart with my receipt and getting a refund in ten minutes? And then applying the $100 to a purchase that I do want? I already have an upconverting dvd player as well as a standard dvd player, with a PS3 on the way, I don't need a fourth box.
post #159 of 173 Old 01-17-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post

Very amusing comment. Many HD DVD owners also have Blu Ray players. It's not as if they've invested in some grandiose investment and the bottom has dropped out. They have nothing to lose because they've still got the movies to enjoy and players which upconvert and play sd dvds. Why should they dump a probably inexpensive player with numerous movies unless their going to do something like buy the SAME movies on the other format thus duplicating/losing their money for qualitatively the same movie, resolution etc.. Their advice is particularly relevant and yours is not because you quickly bailed out as if possessing a player would bring on a strange incurable disease.

And that bit about "hundreds of dollars invested in movies that can't be returned either" doesn't really ring true. They can resell them if they want but again it's not as if as first time adopters their lifetime investments have been lost with the purchase of a few movies. Some of which may never be transferred to the Blu Ray format.

I understand his and your points however. The thing is, none of the players are really that expensive in relative terms, and the media costs the same. There is a virtual guarantee that HD DVD players will exist well into the future, and certainly as long as your discs are viable. So when the day comes, take a deep breath and go out and get a BR player for $300, and move on. Hobbyists/enthusiasts will do this no matter their sentiments today.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #160 of 173 Old 01-17-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan View Post

I hope you are joking. You don't need any of that. For certain, not a 1.3 receiver. Why???? How do you have the audio connected? Optcial or digital coax should be fine if you don't have HDMI.
Try the component connection directly, as the receiver may be doing something to it (ala HK-247 ish). Otherwise, if you can defeat the processing (upconversion) in the receiver, then let the player do it. On a 53 inch 1080i set, you should be wowed.

Pat

+1
post #161 of 173 Old 01-17-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech View Post

There is no difference in the subjective opinion. The discs overall when projected onto a 120 inch screen don't usually look much better than the SD discs upconverted.

It should be needless to say that you need a 1080p projector to see the difference.
post #162 of 173 Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp777 View Post

The Sony campaign is just $100 credit to your card after 1st purchase..there are plenty of CC's with sign up bonus..$100...$150 etc..look at the deal sites. So I could could sign up for a new card (not a sony card) and get $100 sign up bonus and say I got my $99 player free. Or someone else says they got $100 free gas.... So the PS3 STILL costs $400...you just decided to use some credit to help....but the cost is still the same.
post #163 of 173 Old 01-18-2008, 04:41 AM

I purchased the A3 in early November. Got 3 free movies in store with purchase. I have only opened 1 movie. Due to Christmas my receipt says return accepted until January 24.
Anyone know if BB will accept return since 1 movie has been opened.
Thanks.
post #164 of 173 Old 01-18-2008, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

You should be able to return the whole kit, but if BB gives you an issue, just buy another copy of the movie and return the sealed copy with your player. The price drop more than makes up for the little you will lose on the movie.
post #165 of 173 Old 01-18-2008, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 98
If Toshiba opens the purse strings and buys exclusivity from Universal and Paramount for say two years then what? Just about everyone will buy an HD DVD player for those exclusive titles. Personally I'd wait until this does or doesn't happen - probably within the next month or so. If you need an upconverting player now - then its a no brainer.

Someday someone will write a best seller about all the back room dealings in this format "war".

Cheers,

Grant
post #166 of 173 Old 01-18-2008, 06:31 AM

Liked: 14
I know this much. I bought my HD-A3 for $129 with 7 free titles, and I don't care if HD-DVD dies in a year, for that kindda $$ I don't want to wait a year to let the industry decide on a standard. I want to enjoy high-def movies RIGHT NOW.

I came very close to buying a PS3 during the boxing week, but decided not to, because $400 was still too much for a high-def player (not much of a gamer here) and Blu-Ray's current selection of movies SUCK.

I want to watch Transformers and it's on HD. Bourne series, HD again. Batman series ... HD again. The only titles I want to see on BR is Spiderman, and maybe the odd Disney animation.

I understand that may (and probably will) change, but again, for $129 - that includes 7 titles, I'll have no problem paying the $$ and being able to enjoy high-def movies TODAY, and keep the HD DVD player as a 'backup high def player' if need be in the future.
post #167 of 173 Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

If Toshiba opens the purse strings and buys exclusivity from Universal and Paramount for say two years then what? Just about everyone will buy an HD DVD player for those exclusive titles. Personally I'd wait until this does or doesn't happen - probably within the next month or so. If you need an upconverting player now - then its a no brainer.

Someday someone will write a best seller about all the back room dealings in this format "war".

Cheers,

Grant

If that was to happen, I would then ask a simple question, How many titles can Paramont & Universal release in a two year period???? 100 each maybe?? Or maybe a better question why would they? What many of us fail to realize is that all these studios aren't rushing to make Blue Ray or HD DVD's, why?, because they are all making far too much money making DVD's. DVD's are cheaper to make and the hardware is already in almost every house that has a TV in the U.S. I said in a previous thread thread that Toshiba would be making Blue Ray disk players inside of 18-24 months, I'll stand by that, simply because no player is going to support itself on what amounts to a 25% share of avalible content. Lets not kid ourselves either, Paramont & Universal are not looking at this with any kind of "brand Loyalty" in mind, they are looking at $$$$.
post #168 of 173 Old 01-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

took my a2 and 1 hddvd still sealed back and got my full 121 bucks back, just going to sit on my money and buy a ps3 a little later on

Flickr ::[color=Blue][b][Blog]
Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
post #169 of 173 Old 01-18-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number17 View Post

I know this much. I bought my HD-A3 for $129 with 7 free titles, and I don't care if HD-DVD dies in a year, for that kindda $$ I don't want to wait a year to let the industry decide on a standard. I want to enjoy high-def movies RIGHT NOW.

I came very close to buying a PS3 during the boxing week, but decided not to, because $400 was still too much for a high-def player (not much of a gamer here) and Blu-Ray's current selection of movies SUCK.

I want to watch Transformers and it's on HD. Bourne series, HD again. Batman series ... HD again. The only titles I want to see on BR is Spiderman, and maybe the odd Disney animation.

I understand that may (and probably will) change, but again, for $129 - that includes 7 titles, I'll have no problem paying the $$ and being able to enjoy high-def movies TODAY, and keep the HD DVD player as a 'backup high def player' if need be in the future.

QFT
post #170 of 173 Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 View Post

I purchased the A3 in early November. Got 3 free movies in store with purchase. I have only opened 1 movie. Due to Christmas my receipt says return accepted until January 24.
Anyone know if BB will accept return since 1 movie has been opened.
Thanks.

Yes..... no questions asked. They probably wont even open the box to see if everything is there. They didn't with me luckily because I forgot to pack the Owners Manual...LOL (it saved me a trip home)

I also watched both the freebies before I returned mine.
post #171 of 173 Old 01-18-2008, 11:29 AM

"I said in a previous thread thread that Toshiba would be making Blue Ray disk players inside of 18-24 months,"

Heh, that be the time that I go purple.
Tony
post #172 of 173 Old 01-24-2008, 08:31 AM

well since i had both ps3 and a venturer hddvd player i decided to ditch HDVD even though i was hoping HDDVD was going to win.

returned my hddvd player and just going to sell off all my hddvd movies which isnt many to put towards some blue ray movies.
post #173 of 173 Old 01-24-2008, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just bought the A3....I wanted an upconverting DVD player for my aging RP-62. This puts out a nice PQ for $149 and does HD. Also, I got 4-free HD-Dvds immediately($100 value) and 5 more to come in the mail. Even at $20 each that's $200 worth of movies. Also, no one seemed to mention these "dual format" HD players (BD/HD dvd)....so if HD dvd dies and you have 30-40 HD DVD movies, by that time these dual format players will be $99....So enjoy HD DVD now and don't fret, the player will end up in the basement regardless of what happens either way then you can get a "dual format" player and enjoy BD/HD discs.

Dual format....will save your HD DVD's. Also, just because BR has the majority of studios does not mean they make the majority of movies. I read a post showing that even with the loss of Warner, BR has control of 16000 plus movies and HD-DVD around 12000....that does not seem like HD DVD is dead and the format war is close to being done!!!
I made my mind up...it's staying!!!

Acts 17:27
"His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"
Yamaha Drum kit....
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page