Refurbished, good or bad idea? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all...just a quick question. I have an option to get a refurbished XA2 for around 400 bucks. Could anyone give me their experiences with buying refurbished? The only refurbished product I ever bought was a blender, which is a LITTLE less complicated piece of equipment. Most sites selling refurbs state they are MORE reliable than buying new. Anyone have good or bad stories about buying these kinds of items? Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 01-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

There are stories good and bad to tell. Personally, I have had awesome luck with refurbs. I bought a home PC, a DVD/Tivo unit and various satellite equipment and have made out quite well. Many times sellers of refurbs offer an extended warranty of some kind for cheap. That is a tempting deal as the XA2 is an awesome machine.
post #3 of 42 Old 01-21-2008, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I only go for refurbs if the company has at least a 30 day return policy (I.e. not Fry's) and the warranty is equal to that of a new product. The 90 day warranties scare me.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 42 Old 01-21-2008, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I only go for refurbs if the company has at least a 30 day return policy (I.e. not Fry's) and the warranty is equal to that of a new product. The 90 day warranties scare me.

Ya....my only concern. The XA2 is from Overstock, and they offer a 2 year extended warranty for about 30 bucks, but they list the warranty without buying the extended one as 90 days- Manufacturer. I know an XA2 has 1 year thru Toshiba, so 90 days kinda worried me.
post #5 of 42 Old 01-21-2008, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just bought a refurb HD-A2 on eBay including 90 day warranty and three day refund or replacement (according to the advertisement.) The player arrived dead (doesn't get past "Welcome" on the player) and they are now telling me to exercise the Manufacturer Warranty. All I can say is good luck -- speaking for myself, I may have a fight on my hands.
post #6 of 42 Old 01-23-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

13 months ago i bought a refurb tosh dr-2 sd dvd recorder from etail.com for under $105 (msrp just under $400, i think) and its been awesome!

10' from 84" screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

Just bought a refurb HD-A2 on eBay including 90 day warranty and three day refund or replacement (according to the advertisement.) The player arrived dead (doesn't get past "Welcome" on the player) and they are now telling me to exercise the Manufacturer Warranty. All I can say is good luck -- speaking for myself, I may have a fight on my hands.

Who was the seller? I'm also considering a refurbed XA2.

Edit: I checked the one I'm watching, the seller has a 14 day return policy. Still not sure though...
post #8 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:

Hopefully you used PayPal and there was buyer protection on the Item.
It may take awhile but PayPal,at least my experience with them,will stand up for you and returne youre money.
After you prove you shipped the item back,and can track it to prove the seller recieved it back,all at youre expense of course

I support Region-Free/OAR!
post #9 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
IMHO, $400 is too much to pay for a refurb XA2.

I could see $200. However, you can find new ones for around that price if you scour the web, etc.

My first DVD player was a refurb Mitsubishi that I bought in 2001 at Fry's for $30. (I was cheaper then than I am now.) My first DVD recorder was a refurb that I bought (again at Fry's) in 2005 for $80. My first HDTV was a refurb (from buy.com) LCD for $400 last year. All 3 still work.

I have nothing against refurbs. I prefer them since I know what was wrong with them got fixed. I would even pay $100 (but not $250 ) for a refurb profile 1.0 Blu-Ray player. I just think $400 is too much to pay for a refurb XA2.
post #10 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

I purchased my refurbed hda1 from vanns.com back last August. Toshiba refurbed the unit and gave it a 90 day warranty, so far so good for me. Only cost $150 which was alot cheaper at the time than the xa2 or a35 with analog outs which I needed for my older non hdmi receiver. Most people say a refurbed unit is better than brand new factory unit since the factory unit does not go throught a complete test after assembly like a refurbed model does. The xa2 is probably he best hd dvd player toshiba will ever make so I would take the chance. I a waiting for the A35 to drop in price later this year or hopefully and I have no confidence that a dual format player will be available that will work as good as my A1.
post #11 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 07:42 AM

I purchased a refurbed Tosh VHS some years ago. Lasted as long as the warrantee.
As far as using PayPal to protect your purchase, good luck with that. For me, my first line of defense would be my credit card. Check the FleaBay forums for more info on this. I'll only use PayPal for smaller purchases and only if its the only way available to pay.
As usual ymmv.
Tony
post #12 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw97000 View Post

Hello all...just a quick question. I have an option to get a refurbished XA2 for around 400 bucks. Could anyone give me their experiences with buying refurbished? The only refurbished product I ever bought was a blender, which is a LITTLE less complicated piece of equipment. Most sites selling refurbs state they are MORE reliable than buying new. Anyone have good or bad stories about buying these kinds of items? Thanks for any input!

I have so far purchased two refurb A-2's. The first was literally perfect -- must have been returned the next day from the Black Friday sale last October.

The second was mildly cosmetically challenged and DOA when received last friday. I engaged in an email crossing-of-swords and shipped it back today for supposed replacement.

I think the answer is it's not a bad way to go, but YMMV !
post #13 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Refurbished = it already broke once.

Caveat emptor.

That said, I have bought refurb before with generally good results. Sometimes, in my field (Computers), with model turnover so severe, you often find yourself having to use second source to provide replacements, or even known good variants.

MEC2
P.S. And as noted, $400 for an XA2 refurb seems a bit steep... I'd shop around for a second hand XA2 before paying that steep a premium for refurb.
post #14 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw97000 View Post

Ya....my only concern. The XA2 is from Overstock, and they offer a 2 year extended warranty for about 30 bucks, but they list the warranty without buying the extended one as 90 days- Manufacturer. I know an XA2 has 1 year thru Toshiba, so 90 days kinda worried me.

90 days seems to be standard for a Toshiba HD DVD player refurb.
post #15 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fx4dude View Post

Who was the seller? I'm also considering a refurbed XA2.

Edit: I checked the one I'm watching, the seller has a 14 day return policy. Still not sure though...

The company is: Global Phoenix Computer, Inc (NY of course ). and their eBay handle is: ebestdeal4u.

They officially allow three days for reporting a problem, though my experience is they'll try to deflect you to exercising the MFG warranty instead of returning.
post #16 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2 View Post

Refurbished = it already broke once.

Caveat emptor.

That said, I have bought refurb before with generally good results. Sometimes, in my field (Computers), with model turnover so severe, you often find yourself having to use second source to provide replacements, or even known good variants.

MEC2
P.S. And as noted, $400 for an XA2 refurb seems a bit steep... I'd shop around for a second hand XA2 before paying that steep a premium for refurb.

That's actually not true. Most returns of this high tech stuff is due to the purchaser not being able to navigate it, or for other situational or cost reasons, deciding to abort. In other words, most returns are not due to product failure, but rather due to operator issues -- especially early returns (which is most ).

PS. Of course, then you have the AVS returner and his ilk -- he tends to use and abuse the item as long as possible before returning it (thirty days) in hopes of picking up something else of even greater interest!
post #17 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 03:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Buy an A35 on amazon for half the price NEW.
post #18 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikric View Post

Hopefully you used PayPal and there was buyer protection on the Item.
It may take awhile but PayPal,at least my experience with them,will stand up for you and returne youre money.
After you prove you shipped the item back,and can track it to prove the seller recieved it back,all at youre expense of course

I used Paypal and it just shipped back UPS today with the provided RMA. They will supposedly send my a replacement -- that's all I'm asking for !
post #19 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have never had a refurb go bad. And I prefer refurbs to new if I can get them.

My brand spanking new Mitsu TV did puke up its light engine, covered and replaced so now good as new again. That is the first piece of electronics that ever failed on me in over forty years of buying electronics.

Jerry the HT Nut
post #20 of 42 Old 01-24-2008, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the XA2....shipped fast, uber fast actually! It is working just fine...so far!
post #21 of 42 Old 01-31-2008, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Refurbished DOES NOT mean it already broke once.

What it means is, it was returned to the factory, thusly the factory cannot sell it as new.

So what does Toshiba do with the thousands of players that have been returned, by customers stating that it doesn't work right.

A LOT of times, the customer is just an idiot. He had it hooked up wrong, he put in the wrong disc.

OR The player had old firmware and wouldn't play his discs.

OR He had a faulty Combo Disc, but he blamed the Player.

etc. etc. etc.

I don't even want to think about the amount of returns, JUST because they think HD DVD is a dead format, but the excuse they use when they return it is, "It doesn't work right".

I BET a lot of the "refurbished" units didn't need anything corrected at all, and they will and have always, worked perfectly.
post #22 of 42 Old 01-31-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW yes, I did just pick up a refurbished XA-2, so maybe my opinion is a bit tainted.

But I still would say that a large percentage of the products returned to Toshiba, actually have nothing internally wrong with them.

What percentage exactly, I don't know, I would say, on the low end, at least HALF the players probably never had a real mechanical problem.
post #23 of 42 Old 01-31-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used Paypal and it just shipped back UPS today with the provided RMA. They will supposedly send my a replacement -- that's all I'm asking for !

Well, I shipped the DOA A2 back Thursday last week, they received it Monday (Attica NY), and I received the replacement Wednesday -- which means they shipped it the same day they received the original. Can't complain about the turnaround!

The replacement was also factory sealed and so I hooked it up, let it get used to the temperature change for a few hours, and then spun "Miami Vice" and it behaved perfectly. I just wish they wouldn't describe it as being in brand new perfect condition, since there were minor cosmetic flaws on both units I received (not a big surprise for a player that some idiot clearly kept for the duration of the return period -- too much to expect them to take care of gear they've no intention of keeping I guess ).
post #24 of 42 Old 01-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

I just ordered the XA2 from Overstock with the 10% coupon,this will be the 1st refurb I have ever purchased. I am getting this player for $243.94 shipped so it worth a try..IMO.
post #25 of 42 Old 02-06-2008, 10:46 AM

I was ready to start a thread on this when I found this thread. Any feedback on Overstock RonH54? Any reason not to pull the trigger on an XA2. B&H in NY has one used but it's a bit steep at $375 or so.

Thanks,
Rony.

Rony M.
post #26 of 42 Old 02-06-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I got one of the HD-XA2'a last week on the Overstock.com deal for $245.00. Mine arrived yesterday and looks like a brand new unit. It has a August 2007 build date and had firmware 2.5. I updated to 2.7 last night. It came with all the accessories normally included with a new unit except batteries. Tried a few different dics both HD-DVD and DVD and everything seems to be working fine.

I already have a HD-XA2 I bought from Robert @ VE when they first came out so this will really be my backup player if I ever need one in the future.

So my Overstock deal has worked out fine for me.

Jim
post #27 of 42 Old 02-06-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I have bought several refurb electronic items over the years with good luck.
I just received a refurb XA2 from Ubid for $263USD and it's in excellent condition.
I would never buy a refurb tv or large appliance because of the cost of shipping and a 90 day warranty isn't enough.
post #28 of 42 Old 02-06-2008, 07:15 PM

So what's this Overstock.com deal for $245? I'm ready to pull the trigger on it but the best price I can get it there is $367, is there a coupon or something that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Rony.

Rony M.
post #29 of 42 Old 02-06-2008, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maalourm View Post

So what's this Overstock.com deal for $245? I'm ready to pull the trigger on it but the best price I can get it there is $367, is there a coupon or something that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Rony.

They had two listed but the $245 one is sold out.
post #30 of 42 Old 02-07-2008, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by maalourm View Post

Thanks,
Rony.

They had one XA2 listed for $269.99 and it you liked to Overstocks site from the billmelater.com site you would get the extra discount.

Jim
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page