Making Toshiba players region free. - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 125 Old 02-26-2008, 06:14 AM
Member
 
redbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutter View Post

Alright, I went from 2.7 -> 1.3US -> 2.501EU -> 2.7US and now PAL/NTSC DVDs play from all regions (have tried R1/R2 of both kinds) which is great... but I am no longer getting audio though my HDMI output, although I am still getting video.

Lutter, did you need to edit the 2.501EU FW? I know you need to edit the 1.3 to force the update, but I can't find a straight answer if you need to edit the 2.501 to match your player model. thanks
redbill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 125 Old 03-03-2008, 05:18 AM
Member
 
meli15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbill View Post

Lutter, did you need to edit the 2.501EU FW? I know you need to edit the 1.3 to force the update, but I can't find a straight answer if you need to edit the 2.501 to match your player model. thanks

I WENT FROM 2.8 US TO 1.3 US UP TO 2.5 UK AND 2.51 REGIONFREE UK AND BACK TO 2.8 UK........ALL WORKS PERFECT.ONLY 1.3 HAS TO BE HEXEDITED ALL OTHERS REMAIN THE SAME..................HOPE THIS HELPS
meli15 is offline  
post #123 of 125 Old 03-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Member
 
redbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I seem to have a PAL problem. I have an A2, onkyo 705 (receiver), samsung 4695 (lcd hdtv). I downgraded from 2.7 to 1.3, and then to the E1 hacked 2.5.1. (I also went to US 2.8 afterwards once, and once w/o). Both times I can play HD-DVD, NTSC region 1, but not region 2 PAL. The player seems to accept it, but my TV displays "Not Supported Format". The A2 plays it - I get sound, but the picture is does not show up. So the region hack worked & PAL hack worked, but my TV does not seem to accept PAL. Which is weird, because I have a separate (non-upconvert) all-region player that works fine. any ideas? thanks!
redbill is offline  
post #124 of 125 Old 03-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
fatherom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston area, MA
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbill View Post

I seem to have a PAL problem. I have an A2, onkyo 705 (receiver), samsung 4695 (lcd hdtv). I downgraded from 2.7 to 1.3, and then to the E1 hacked 2.5.1. (I also went to US 2.8 afterwards once, and once w/o). Both times I can play HD-DVD, NTSC region 1, but not region 2 PAL. The player seems to accept it, but my TV displays "Not Supported Format". The A2 plays it - I get sound, but the picture is does not show up. So the region hack worked & PAL hack worked, but my TV does not seem to accept PAL. Which is weird, because I have a separate (non-upconvert) all-region player that works fine. any ideas? thanks!

I think the A2, even when made region free, is still outputting PAL at 50Hz. So your TV would need to be able to accept 50Hz signals. The A2 hack only helps with region encoding, not with PAL vs. NTSC.

I think multi region regular DVD players convert the PAL signal to NTSC output for NTSC displays.


Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
fatherom is online now  
post #125 of 125 Old 03-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Member
 
redbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

I think the A2, even when made region free, is still outputting PAL at 50Hz. So your TV would need to be able to accept 50Hz signals. The A2 hack only helps with region encoding, not with PAL vs. NTSC.

I think multi region regular DVD players convert the PAL signal to NTSC output for NTSC displays.

thats what i was afraid of. i figured my TV would be smart enough to handle the 50Hz, but I guess not... well, at least it didn't break the non-PAL signals..
redbill is offline  
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off