AVS Forum banner

HDA30 can't get it to output DTS or DD

4K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Jgatie 
#1 ·
All HD-DVDs output only in PCM on my Yamaha 2600 reciever.

However all SD DVD's the 2600 does read them DTS and DD.

I'm using HDMI connection

Can anybody let me know why?

Thanks

#2 ·
Since HD DVD uses mostly audio is DD+ or TrueHD (not DTS or DD), does your receiver decode these bitstream audio codes?

...Angelo

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchills /forum/post/12948811

I don't think so I'ts about 3 years old.

I also have blu ray player hooked to it and and it reads the BD discs in DD or DTS

Does your Blu-Ray player support bitsteam over HDMI and do you have it set to do so? Just to let you know Linear PCM is the better choice for HD audio over HDMI. You should be looking into making your Blu-Ray player output BD's over PCM instead of getting your HD-A30 to output HD DVD's over DD or DTS.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchills /forum/post/12948811

I don't think so I'ts about 3 years old.

I also have blu ray player hooked to it and and it reads the BD discs in DD or DTS

HDM doesn't use basic DTS or DD; I guess BDM does use "older" audio codecs. In any case since your receiver doesn't support the "newer" audio codes just let your A30 convert them to PCM to your HMDI receiver and your good to go.

If you ever plan to upgrade your receiver I would check out the Onkyo 705 or 805 that also supports HD-DTS MA decoding via HDMI, but you will need a HD DVD player like the A35 or XA2 to bitstream HD-DTS MA, since all other models will not.

...Angelo

#7 ·
I posted this in another thread. There is a bizarre connection in these players between audio and video settings. I am connected to a prepro via bitstream over the optical connection. When resolution is set to "up to 1080i" the player will output only Dolby 2.0, not Dolby 5.1. Changing resolution to "up to 1080p" enables the Dolby 5.1 output. Makes no sense, but that's the way it works.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop /forum/post/12949096

I posted this in another thread. There is a bizarre connection in these players between audio and video settings. I am connected to a prepro via bitstream over the optical connection. When resolution is set to "up to 1080i" the player will output only Dolby 2.0, not Dolby 5.1. Changing resolution to "up to 1080p" enables the Dolby 5.1 output. Makes no sense, but that's the way it works.

"these Players"?? Which ones? What firmware? Sounds like the HDMI is set to Downmix the HDMI audio to 2.0, double check the HDMI Audio setting.

I have the A1 connected both Optical and Analog with 1080i video out on the HDMI and I never had the Optical playback audio at DD 2.0 on a HDM or DVD 5.1. Correction prior to firmware 2.0 on the X/A1 TrueHD was 2.0 but ever since firmware 2.0 and above it's been 5.1.

...Angelo

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop /forum/post/12949096

That was the trick It worked, now I get the full 5.1

Thanks!!

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro /forum/post/12953698

This setting is found in the back of the manual. If you choose anything less than 720P, the output will be only 2.0 for HD discs. It doesn't make sense but that's how its done. Why should video have any effect on audio.

Totally sounds like a firmware bug.

...Angelo

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro /forum/post/12953698

This setting is found in the back of the manual. If you choose anything less than 720P, the output will be only 2.0 for HD discs. It doesn't make sense but that's how its done. Why should video have any effect on audio.

I hadn't noticed that in the manual.. so I guess 1080i is considered as less than 720p. Agree with Angelo - despite the mention in the manual, this is a firmware bug.

#17 ·
It is in the back of the manual. On HD discs, if you choose 480P, 2 channel pcm is what will be outputted (sp?). Switch to 720P or 1080i and the higher codecs will be sent via pcm. Not a firmware bug but the way it is designed, why, I'm not sure. I guess they figure that if you bought HDDVD, you are going to output higher resolutions. I think it has something to do with downconverting the digital resolution.

#20 ·
So if u have older rec that can only do DD (no DD+/DTS), u can't get DD w/ any current HD-DVD player via optical for HD-DVD discs playback. Is this correct?

BTW - I can get DD via PS3 w/ BR or SD discs.

#22 ·
Guys, I can confirm in order to hear the NEWER codecs it has to outputted thru HDMI.....WHY. Higher bit rates!!!!! I have both the A2 and A30. THe A30 is connected to the Yammy 3800 and decodes all the new codecs. What is funny is when I output thru HDMI/set at auto/ SPDIF @ Bitstream I will get only DD+ 2 channels...weird . When I reset the A30 for PCM it will do regular dolby only.

Is there something I am missing????

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmitran /forum/post/12968871

So if u have older rec that can only do DD (no DD+/DTS), u can't get DD w/ any current HD-DVD player via optical for HD-DVD discs playback. Is this correct?

BTW - I can get DD via PS3 w/ BR or SD discs.

No, with HD DVD via optical you either get 1.5Mbs DTS (2nd gen. players) or 640k DD (3rd gen. players). So buy a 3rd generation player and you can use your DD only receiver.

#25 ·
Hi all. I am thinking about getting an HDA30 now. I have a Denon AVR3805, so if I hook it up with the tos-link will I still get DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1? I wanna make sure before I make my purchase.

Thanks for any help..

Roque

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA /forum/post/13044993

Hi all. I am thinking about getting an HDA30 now. I have a Denon AVR3805, so if I hook it up with the tos-link will I still get DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1? I wanna make sure before I make my purchase.

Thanks for any help..

Roque

From the A30 via optical, you will get standard DD/DTS from SD DVD, DD@640kbs from TrueHD/DD+ on HD DVD and DTS from DTS-HD/MA on HD DVD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.