post #31 of 34 Old 04-08-2009, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tywoniak View Post

Locking up was the major problem with HDDVD. I was glad to see the format die - as I got tired of cringing everytime I went to watch a movie. I have two different models of Toshiba players and both had lock up problems. They did improve with later versions of software - but HDDVD is in no way equal to BluRay in terms of reliability.

I have an HD-A1 and an HD-A3, and only had them freeze once or twice each. I rented at least 50 HD DVDs from Netflix, and owned over 30 discs at one time.

However, my 60GB PS3 froze up more times than I could count. It seemed like every other disc would hang, especially if they used BD-J. It has gotten much better since the last few PS3 firmware releases, but I still have HDMI handshaking problems sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 04-12-2009, 03:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

All HD-DVDs I play since Aug freezes up halfway through

I started a thread with similar problems discussed here... I pegged it a firmware issue, but I am oddly relieved to hear others have similar issues.

I would like to add, that my impression is that the player works fine, but even the smallest dust-particle or smudge on the disc can cause it to hang. A restart fixes all, and sometimes I can see a whole movie without a freeze.

I stepped from 4.0 back to 1.3 and then to 3.0 (on a HD-A30). Seems 3.0 works best for me, but freezes will still occur. I inspect discs prior to playing for dust, just to be sure.

Will try that initializing thing again though, maybe it's a memory issue ? I pause my HD-DVD's all the time btw, could be relevant, but it has frozen without pauses also.
post #33 of 34 Old 04-12-2009, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Third generation players seem to have the most problems in this regard. Updating to firmware 4.0 helps in many cases. Generation Two players seem to be the most reliable. The first generation players work well until the NEC drive fails. Overall, I prefer Generation Two and Generation One to Generation Three players, although my A30 is great most of the time, especially after the 4.0 upgrade which seemed to solve the problem of quitting halfway through. Just my HO.
post #34 of 34 Old 04-14-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:

Third generation players seem to have the most problems in this regard. Updating to firmware 4.0 helps in many cases. Generation Two players seem to be the most reliable. The first generation players work well until the NEC drive fails. Overall, I prefer Generation Two and Generation One to Generation Three players, although my A30 is great most of the time, especially after the 4.0 upgrade which seemed to solve the problem of quitting halfway through. Just my HO.

I cannot seem to get over the SURPRISE, how many people have DIFFERENT experiences with basically the same players. Most user here have an : A2/A3 or A30 yet, firmware x.x can cause problems for A but work perfect for B ??

Maybe HD-DVD as a format is somewhat unreliable as written here ?
What's your opinion folkz?
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page