All HD-DVDs I play since Aug freezes up halfway through - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 02-11-2008, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think thre is something wrong with my player. Every HD-DVD I have played since Bourne Identity seems to always freeze up halfway through a movie. It does not matter what it is, Transformers, Bourne Identity, Knocked Up, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, Dawn of the Dead, etc. Anyone know what the deal is with these discs? I am getting really sick of it.

The format wars are over Primal, you lose - Megatron from Beast Machines (partially)

So long HD-DVD, I will miss you no matter how much I complained about Combo Discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 02-11-2008, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Chuck and Larry is just a really bad movie. That's what is wrong with the disc.

Seriously, what player do you have and what version of firmware are you running?
post #3 of 34 Old 02-11-2008, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If every HD DVD is doing this, I suspect your player has problems with layer changes. Is it under warranty?

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #4 of 34 Old 02-11-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did You Try Washing Them?

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #5 of 34 Old 02-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

I have the same problem with both my first and third generation player. I have not paid to much attention to it as I am assuming this format is dying dying dead - kind of like my DVHS player which never worked either - sits in my rack as a conversation piece. I guess it would be a good idea to get it fixed under warranty.
post #6 of 34 Old 02-11-2008, 04:45 PM

I have the same problem... they lock up right around 1hr. I have no idea what the problem is, but re-initializing the player (under setup >> maintenance) helped for the time being. I also hear gently cleaning the disc with a mild detergent (Dawn) can help.

Who cares. I just read about Best Buy now endorsing BluRay.

Ef this player and the horse it road in on. I'm so glad I bought into a dead format.

This is me being sad>>>
post #7 of 34 Old 02-11-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

I think thre is something wrong with my player. Every HD-DVD I have played since Bourne Identity seems to always freeze up halfway through a movie. It does not matter what it is, Transformers, Bourne Identity, Knocked Up, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, Dawn of the Dead, etc. Anyone know what the deal is with these discs? I am getting really sick of it.

I've had no issues ....
post #8 of 34 Old 02-11-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

ive had very good luck with washing the discs with mild dish det. and warm water. let air dry or gently dry with micro fiber cloth.

10' from 84" screen.

post #9 of 34 Old 02-11-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I have over 100 HD DVD discs. I ONLY replaced 1 or 2 discs from all the HDM I ever bought. My A1 is almost 2 years old too!

...Angelo

2x HD-XA2 firmware 3.0
1x HD-A1 firmware 3.0
HD DVD movies: 141
post #10 of 34 Old 02-11-2008, 05:59 PM

No problem here. My player works flawlessly.

"never give in, never give in, never, never, never, neverÂin nothing, great or small, large or pettyÂnever give in except to convictions of honour and good sense." - W. Churchill
post #11 of 34 Old 02-11-2008, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Chuck and Larry is just a really bad movie. That's what is wrong with the disc.

Seriously, what player do you have and what version of firmware are you running?

Actually Chuck & Larry was great, I think you meant to say Knocked Up was a bad movie, as that movie sucked monkey balls.

Anyway, I have the A1, and I do not know what version of firmware it is, as I have been unable to get it to connect to update in over 8 months. It just tells me it cannot connect to the server.

Transformers' last few seconds in Chapter 12 is unplayable.

Chuck & Larry froze during the part when Adam punches the guy outside of the gay club.

Knocked UP kept freezing when the girl was in the tub about to have her baby.

I don't remember where the others froze up though.

The format wars are over Primal, you lose - Megatron from Beast Machines (partially)

So long HD-DVD, I will miss you no matter how much I complained about Combo Discs.
post #12 of 34 Old 02-12-2008, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually Chuck & Larry was great, I think you meant to say Knocked Up was a bad movie, as that movie sucked monkey balls.

Anyway, I have the A1, and I do not know what version of firmware it is, as I have been unable to get it to connect to update in over 8 months. It just tells me it cannot connect to the server.

Transformers' last few seconds in Chapter 12 is unplayable.

Chuck & Larry froze during the part when Adam punches the guy outside of the gay club.

Knocked UP kept freezing when the girl was in the tub about to have her baby.

I don't remember where the others froze up though.

Try firmware version 2.0

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post11972768

Burn it using Active@ ISO Burner

John
post #13 of 34 Old 02-12-2008, 10:02 AM

My A35 from Amazon would have problems on about a third of my disks at the time (7/24 disks). I returned it before the 30 days was up and bought a replacement locally. It's been able to play all the disks I own flawlessly, and is way more responsive on startups and disk changes. I'm thinking that the HD laser may be susceptible to miss alignment during shipping, or Toshiba's quality control could use some improvement.
post #14 of 34 Old 02-12-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Hmmmmmmmmm....I think your player is gagging on those crap movies your feeding it. I think it's safe to say that some of these players are capable of achieving conciousness......maybe???
post #15 of 34 Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 AM

Not a single lock-up here on my A1 for at least 6 months now and never one on my A2. Both launch units. Both running latest firmware. Have about 70
HD DVD's. (crosses fingers)
post #16 of 34 Old 02-12-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My A1 chokes hard on any scratches on the disc. I mostly rent from Netflix and their HD DVD tend to be a lot more scratched up than Bluray. I'm on 2.0 firmware (the one that added TrueHD decoding which was 2.0, I think). I also tried to update it says "Cannot find out the server". I tried selecting "Initialize" thinking maybe I had to initialize the connection or something, but that apparently initializes the player back to defaults.

So now I have a second problem. Toshiba in their infinite wisdom decided to make HDMI output disabled as the default setting. Which means I need to buy and run a long composite cable back to my projector to get into the A1 menu and turn on HDMI so it works again through my receiver.

Coming from D-Theater, the A1 didn't seem that bad. But after I got a PS3, the faults of the other players started to really annoy me. The PS3 isn't perfect, but it works consistently.

post #17 of 34 Old 03-30-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

If every HD DVD is doing this, I suspect your player has problems with layer changes. Is it under warranty?

What is the mechanics of the dual layer change? I often see a "very brief pause" when this occurs on my A3/D3, but I'm curious what exactly is going on. Is the laser refocused, does it change to a second wavelength, or do they perhaps use a filter???
post #18 of 34 Old 03-30-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobgre View Post

Not a single lock-up here on my A1 for at least 6 months now and never one on my A2. Both launch units. Both running latest firmware. Have about 70
HD DVD's. (crosses fingers)

I dare you to play Departed and see if the A2 doesn't freeze up with an error number posted on the screen.
post #19 of 34 Old 03-30-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:

My player works fine.
post #20 of 34 Old 03-30-2008, 03:24 PM

I tried watching Children Of Men yesterday, and I was having problems with it locking up every 15-30 minutes or so. It was pretty annoying that I spent money and was legal about everything, and it doesn't work.

HD-DVD:34
Blu-Ray:0
HD Downloads:10
post #21 of 34 Old 03-30-2008, 09:43 PM

I actually had the same problem with The Last Samurai. I kept freezing during the conversation with Ken and Tom under the cherry blossom tree. Once I updated the firmware to 1.3 (A35), it worked flawlessly. Haven't had any other problems since.
post #22 of 34 Old 03-31-2008, 08:18 PM

Most HD DVD discs seem to lock up my player as well. I just use it as an upcoverting player instead.
post #23 of 34 Old 04-06-2009, 07:02 AM

I have two HD 30's and they both lock up. You will find the lockup at the end of chapters. Sometimes you can forward ahead one chapter, sometimes you have to reboot.

It seems the players can not handle any sort of disk error, they have no brain. I have 4.0 on one machine - it never made any difference at each stage I went through.

For all those people who say, "my machine works perfect with no problems" my question is;

Can you start or stop during the movie and turn back on again? I have to reboot - start from the beginning and watch all the intro stuff.

Each lock up is a bit different but they are all a pain. My disks are new without dirt and scratches.

My suggestion to Toshiba is - when some type of disk error happens - skip ahead 2 seconds and restart. I would accept a few skips instead of lock up and reboot. The software is open source, a subset of Linux. If we have any linux pros around here, help? Can someone hack the SOB to make it work? I don't think Toshiba cares.
post #24 of 34 Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Locking up was the major problem with HDDVD. I was glad to see the format die - as I got tired of cringing everytime I went to watch a movie. I have two different models of Toshiba players and both had lock up problems. They did improve with later versions of software - but HDDVD is in no way equal to BluRay in terms of reliability.

My HDDVD player is simply used now for DVD's and an occasional legacy hddvd - as long as I am not inviting friends over for a movie.

All to often - I invite 12 people over for a movie and the HDDVD player locks up. Not worth the risk any more.

HDDVD was only one step above DVHS in reliability - another format that was unreliable and failed to take on.
post #25 of 34 Old 04-06-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Locking up was the major problem with HDDVD. I was glad to see the format die - as I got tired of cringing everytime I went to watch a movie.

I really feel like a total idiot. I spent countless hours surfing around to read up on the players and format before I bought one. I would not even care that it went defunct - if it would work properly. I never did find anywhere where lock up or freeze up was mentioned. There are still people who claim it has never happened to them.

It still seems fixable to my little pea brain? A lock up is similar to a pause.

(a) if the player is acting like it is paused
and
(b) the pause button is not pressed in
(c) the software should instruct it to "jump" ahead a bit
and
(d) play automatically or somehow restart from a paused state if you press a button

Now it is like the, "blue screen of death" in Win 95,98.
Make it self repair like Win XP, Vista

post #26 of 34 Old 04-06-2009, 12:17 PM

Try unplugging the player from the wall outlet for 30 seconds before powering it on(powercycling).I had a similar issue on my A1 and this trick has fixed it. Use the switch on a powerstrip to do it if the power cable is unreachable. I have my player unplugged all the time except when i am watching the movie.
post #27 of 34 Old 04-06-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Try unplugging the player from the wall outlet for 30 seconds before powering it on(powercycling).I had a similar issue on my A1 and this trick has fixed it. Use the switch on a powerstrip to do it if the power cable is unreachable. I have my player unplugged all the time except when i am watching the movie.

OK
I don't mind trying anything. Nice to hear it works for you. I will try that for a few days and see how it goes. Thanks
post #28 of 34 Old 04-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't had many playability problems with my two A30s, one with firmware 1.3 and the other with 4.0. Whenever I have a problem it seems to be disc related. A brand new Transformers froze at the same spot over and over but after washing it in soap and water it played.

The older player had firmware 1.1 and an upgrade to 4.0 solved some problems it had with a few discs. Though I never noticed a real problem with 1.3 I later upgraded that player to 4.0 as well since 4.0 worked well in the second player.

I agree that the player should skip forward slightly when it encounters an error, it shouldn't freeze completely. Toshiba has improved the firmware but a bad disc like a couple rentals I got at Hollywood Video will lock both players tighter than a drum.

Also I will admit that I rarely pause a movie or jump around the disc, usually just hit play and let her rip.

BSODs self repair in XP/Vista? Not on my PC...

HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #29 of 34 Old 04-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

There were tons of threads on this during the heyday. For instance - many of the dual discs (DVD/HDDVD) were known to have problems. Sometimes firmware upgrades were supposed to solve this. Also, Netflix HDDVD's were notorious for having problems. I remember threads suggesting that people use auto polish scratch remover to buff up the discs prior to playing. I tried all of these methods -- and nothing really worked; although as I indicated before - new software updates did help improve reliability.
post #30 of 34 Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipmonger View Post

but re-initializing the player (under setup >> maintenance) helped

That fixed it for me.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here --->
good times!

Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page