question about HD DVD player...looking to buy, need info - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so, I have a 1080p set...it deinterlaces fine, just fine...my question pertains to players...and disc format...
first: HD DVDs are what format 1080p, i, 720 etc...or will they play back in any player, be it 1080p or 1080i?
2nd: since my TV does deinterlace fine, just fine (South Park...look it up, lol), is it safe to get a 1080i player, or should I get the 1080p....what benefit does the 1080p have over the 1080i player besides sending the signal already progressive?

i think that's it, lol.

I am having some issues with my Pioneer upconverting DVD player, and maybe getting a refund on it...I debated getting the HD DVD player when I got the Pioneer, but decided to stick with the upconverting, but now with all the great incentives to buy, and the free DVDs, it doesn't make much sense to buy another 100 upconverter when I can get a 1080i player for only a little more, still get the benefits of upconverting my fairly large SD DVD collection, but also the benefit of renting and buying HD DVDs....!

One more question...Blockbuster is only BluRay, just heard Best Buy is giving more shelf space to BluRay as well...kinda stinks...but anywhere to rent HD DVDs? I think Netflix does, but can't confirm on their site...anyone using them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeProcopio View Post

so, I have a 1080p set...it deinterlaces fine, just fine...my question pertains to players...and disc format...
first: HD DVDs are what format 1080p, i, 720 etc...or will they play back in any player, be it 1080p or 1080i?

Any HD DVD disc will play in any HD DVD player. Of course this assumes blu-ray disc in blu-ray player and HD DVD disc in HD DVD player.

Quote:

2nd: since my TV does deinterlace fine, just fine (South Park...look it up, lol), is it safe to get a 1080i player, or should I get the 1080p....what benefit does the 1080p have over the 1080i player besides sending the signal already progressive?

You're going to get a wide variety of response here. IMO the main questions to ask are "How big is your SD collection (you mentioned fairly large)? How critical are you of upconversion? How much money are you willing to spend?" If you don't have a large SD collection and/or aren't very discerning of the fine points of upconversion and/or don't want to spend a lot of extra money for the purpose of getting a better upconverter then I'd recommend the A3. For HD video I don't think you will see any difference in a 1080i signal vs a 1080p (assuming your TV does a good job at deinterlacing as you mentioned it does). Now don't get me wrong, the A3 is a very nice upconverter (better than any that is specifically for upconverting IMO) BUT the A30 and especially the XA2 do a better job at upconverting. If upconverting isn't a big issue I recommend an A3.

There is one other potential issue. If you have an older receiver (i.e. non-HDMI) and are an audiophile then you may want to upgrade to a player that has analog outs. That would be the other potential reason to upgrade.

Quote:

One more question...Blockbuster is only BluRay, just heard Best Buy is giving more shelf space to BluRay as well...kinda stinks...but anywhere to rent HD DVDs? I think Netflix does, but can't confirm on their site...anyone using them?

I don't rent but just yesterday Netflix announced that they are going blu-ray exclusive. I think BB online rent HD DVD even thought the brick and mortar don't. Not sure.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 09:11 AM

You will be happy with an HD-A3, with 7 free movies. Buy it from Costco and you get a free HDMI cable (you need this cable), and a great return policy for any reason.

"never give in, never give in, never, never, never, neverÂin nothing, great or small, large or pettyÂnever give in except to convictions of honour and good sense." - W. Churchill
post #4 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Wish is right. BB Online rents HD DVDs, even though most of their stores do not.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Our Block Buster has Hd-dvd's for rent ...in the store ..
you need to ask the stores in your area , as it seems they carry differant stock at each

good luck

I have the A1 And getting a refurb hd-xa2 .
I hook the analog 5.1 outs to the input of my older yamaha reciever ...

keep at it , results are worth it !!
post #6 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i hope this isn't a losing battle...300 on HD DVD alone should have won the war, lol.

so, my SD collection is 350+...I am a video engineer, so video is important to me...my crappy Panasonic SD player going component through my TV is enough for the wife, but I need more...hehe.

audio wise, I only need optical out to my Onkyo receiver, although I am a musician, audio isn't my main thing...it is picture quality. the A30 isn't much more than the A3, so that looks to be the best bet...A30 is the newer model, but the 35 is the top model, right?

I could really care less about other content other than the movie, maybe some deleted scenes and outtakes, but I don't need any more...basically, I'll get to watching 3 movies in a row on a weekend, and really don't need anything other than the movie itself..

how do the new players compare to the XA2 etc?

post #7 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striderprime00 View Post

Buy it from Costco and you get a free HDMI cable (you need this cable)

I have extra HDMI cables, thanks though for the info.

post #8 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i hope this isn't a losing battle...300 on HD DVD alone should have won the war, lol.

so, my SD collection is 350+...I am a video engineer, so video is important to me...my crappy Panasonic SD player going component through my TV is enough for the wife, but I need more...hehe.

audio wise, I only need optical out to my Onkyo receiver, although I am a musician, audio isn't my main thing...it is picture quality. the A30 isn't much more than the A3, so that looks to be the best bet...A30 is the newer model, but the 35 is the top model, right?

I could really care less about other content other than the movie, maybe some deleted scenes and outtakes, but I don't need any more...basically, I'll get to watching 3 movies in a row on a weekend, and really don't need anything other than the movie itself..

how do the new players compare to the XA2 etc?

I have an A30 that does a great job with sd-dvd's (to my eyes) yet I still ordered a refurb XA2 from Overstock. Since you are a video engineer you should be familiar with the Silicon Optix Reon VX which apparently is just a scaled back version of the Realta...if you get an upconverting dvd player with that kind of processing it will cost you a lot more than the under $400 that I paid..

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #9 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

The Xa2 is getting scarce , You can get a new one from value electronics with
7 movies . Its $700.00 delivered .
A refurb goes around 325.00 shipped 90 day warranty . I just bought an xa2 and bought
extended warranty from overstock.com$372.00
The xa2 is supposed to be the very best of the best flagship model.
Also was considering the A35 for the annalog out puts .
From reading , the third gen players have more issues but are solved by returning for a new machine..Via warranty ...
Say 7X$20.00 ave per movie on a brand new player sounds decent to me ...!!!
Bob

post #10 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

They are comparing the xa2 with $5000.00 video upscalers . I did not do a typo !!

post #11 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

looks like I'm going with the A30+7DVDs...getting a refund on my Pioneer DV400...too bad, nice player, just wasn't completely right...but the HD DVD player will get lots of use, even if BluRay wins, I'll never have to wait for HD DVD movies to be available on BluRay...and never have to buy them again, lol. I have 3 HDMI inputs to my Toshiba 42HL167, and 3 digital inputs on my Onkyo...1 optical, 2 coax...

thanks for all the help and advice...it was easy to get the wife on board to get the HD DVD player since we had returned 2... count them 2 upconverting players (originally bought the Tosh SD-5000 to go with the 37" 720p Tosh, then went with the 1080p 42" so matched the upconverter with that...and now...the HD-DVD player...each a laittle more expensive than the last one, lol.)

post #12 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog57 View Post

The Xa2 is getting scarce , You can get a new one from value electronics with
7 movies . Its $700.00 delivered .
A refurb goes around 325.00 shipped 90 day warranty . I just bought an xa2 and bought
extended warranty from overstock.com$372.00
The xa2 is supposed to be the very best of the best flagship model.
Also was considering the A35 for the annalog out puts .
From reading , the third gen players have more issues but are solved by returning for a new machine..Via warranty ...
Say 7X$20.00 ave per movie on a brand new player sounds decent to me ...!!!
Bob

Correction we're at $599 for the XA2. Hope the mods permit me to correct a post error on price. And hopefully we'll see a price reduction soon.

-Robert
post #13 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 PM

I'm surprised to see people still looking to buy.

All I have left is hope for the format.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 62
If you do get a HD DVD player, make sure you buy from someplace with an AWESOME return policy. I've gone through an HD-A1 and HD-A3 and Toshiba Customer Support is not great to deal with.

post #15 of 20 Old 02-13-2008, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

The A30 is still a very good upscaler and can output 1080p. HD DVDs are 1080p just an FYI.

I have an A3 and it upscales my DVDs to 720p just as well as my uber expensive HTPC.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #16 of 20 Old 02-13-2008, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

If you do get a HD DVD player, make sure you buy from someplace with an AWESOME return policy. I've gone through an HD-A1 and HD-A3 and Toshiba Customer Support is not great to deal with.

Holy Poo!.. what are doing with these things?

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #17 of 20 Old 02-13-2008, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

just picked up the A30 w 7 discs...should arrive in a few days...I'm not worried about return policy since Toshiba in Jersey is about 30 miles from me...and if something is wrong..I will break down their door to get it fixed, lol.

I am excited, and 300 is the #1 reason I bought it...i have it in SD, but HD will look so much sweeter I'm sure. the other movies are a bonus, and I'm not 100% sold on anything Sony yet...too bad Onkyo is so expensive...would have gotten one, my Onkyo SR600 system is an awesome product.

1 thing I loved about the Pioneer is that if you accidentally shut the player off, and turn it back on, it remembers where you last played the movie from and takes off at that point...does the A30 have anything like that...

and if everyone is like me...stubborn...HD DVD will not die!

IMHO...whichever format starts selling HD movies with just the movie...minus all the extras that differentiate BluRay and HD DVD, that one will be the winner...the majority of movie watchers only want to watch a movie...they don't care much about the extras...give them the movie, outtakes and deleted scenes and most viewers are happy campers...no need for all the commentaries, documentaries on how they did this, or how the actors had to train...(although I love that stuff being in the industry, my wife could care less).

And why would blockbuster and other rental houses just turn their back to the millions of rentals they could have if they had both formats readily available? that blows my mind...Sony must have given them a pretty penny for them to not want the profit they could have had.

post #18 of 20 Old 02-13-2008, 01:06 PM

Liked: 12
Congrats on your purchase! Now, do like most of us and go out to Best Buy and pick up those movies that are BOGO's also Amazon is having a huge Buy Two Get One free! I love my A30, I have had it for about a month now and appreciate what HD DVD has offered me!

post #19 of 20 Old 02-13-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Is it something I lerned from DVD is that you should always buy the chepest player. It always comes better and cheaper players in the long run.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-13-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binici View Post

Congrats on your purchase! Now, do like most of us and go out to Best Buy and pick up those movies that are BOGO's also Amazon is having a huge Buy Two Get One free! I love my A30, I have had it for about a month now and appreciate what HD DVD has offered me!

exactly...planned on it...gotta go pick my 5 free though...then go from there! I went on to netflix and queued up a bunch so i know what i want to get! what are they going to do with all the movies they already have to rent?

Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page