Firmware 2.0 for A3/A30/A35 out (dont update if you use 1080p24 it causes jaggies!) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 700 Old 04-05-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron_Boy View Post

Once I heard that people were getting jaggies after the upgrade, I couldn't wait to upgrade my HD-A35. I upgraded through my ethernet connection (Comcast) out the back of the machine. It took about 20 minutes and completed without a hitch. I watched Oceans 13 on it on a 1080p plasma and had the HD-A35 settings at "up to 1080p/24Hz" and had no "jaggies" or other viewing issues. I highly recommend the download.

NB

Just so you know, Ocean's 13 is not an MPEG-4 encoded HD DVD. The jaggies only pertain to MPEG-4 encoded discs played backed at 1080/24p. So, naturally, you wouldn't see the anomaly on VC-1 encoded titles (such as the "Ocean's" trilogy). Play Transformers, Beowulf, Zodiac, Stardust, Next, Shooter, Black Snake Moan, Babel, or any other AVC/MPEG-4 encoded title, however, and you'll see what everyone is talking about.

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Da-Lite Model B 106" HCMW
Sony KDS-60A3000

VIP 3D Theater Plus Converter w/ MonsterVision Max 3D Eyewear
Onkyo TX-SR805 (v1.08 w/DSP & HDMI Updates)
Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Polk Audio RTi8 / CSi5 / FXi3
Boston 595x Subwoofers

My DVD Collection

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 700 Old 04-06-2008, 08:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicBlak View Post

Just so you know, Ocean's 13 is not an MPEG-4 encoded HD DVD. The jaggies only pertain to MPEG-4 encoded discs played backed at 1080/24p. So, naturally, you wouldn't see the anomaly on VC-1 encoded titles (such as the "Ocean's" trilogy). Play Transformers, Beowulf, Zodiac, Stardust, Next, Shooter, Black Snake Moan, Babel, or any other AVC/MPEG-4 encoded title, however, and you'll see what everyone is talking about.

I made the same mistake at first as well. Once I put one of the mentioned titles in listed above you will notice the problem imediately. I did this right after the upgrade and have been on 1.3 since without problems. 2.0 also affects SD DVD playback as well as it does not remove the 3:2 pulldown properly but still tries to play in 1080p/24......so you end up with terrible framerate problems. 1.3 does this just fine as well.
post #543 of 700 Old 04-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerguy View Post

Thanks. I was able to download from your site lickety-split, and downgraded from 2.0 back to 1.3. Thanks to all who facilitated this!

I called Toshiba to report the 2.0 problem. The guy I talked to indicated they are aware of the problems, and will try to fix them in the next firmware update. He could not tell me when/if the next update would be....

The above was posted back on March 4th. Have there been any new indications from Toshiba regarding a new firmware release?
post #544 of 700 Old 04-06-2008, 01:07 PM

Just received my update disc in the mail. Just to clarify that I have the same version as everyone else from back at the end of February, the info states:

Toshiba Update Disc Part Number: HD352011
Firmware Update Version: 2.0/1.1

Is this the version that everyone is referring to with the aforementioned problems?

Steve
post #545 of 700 Old 04-07-2008, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder what are the chances of another firmware. Slim to none?

Really unhappy with the A35 in general because of all the glitches. My HD-A1 was solid as a rock and thankfully I held onto it as sometimes the A35 feels so cheap in comparison I can't help but think it'll break some day.

If Toshiba doesn't leave us HD DVD owners with a proper final firmware without glitches like the 1080p24 jaggies I'm afraid they lost a customer for life.
post #546 of 700 Old 04-07-2008, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
They really do owe it to their customers to put out a fix, final 2.1 version which fixes the things that they broke since 1.3, but includes the fixes that work.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #547 of 700 Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicBlak View Post

I did not realize that HD DVDs came in multiple formats. I don't own any of the ones you mention, but I can test my SD DVDs. Planet Series Earth looks OK too. I'll have to look into whether any of my HD DVDs are MPEG-4 encoded.

NB
post #548 of 700 Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

It seems with many Japanese companies when they put out a failure or discontinue a product they tend to sweep it under the doormat and forget about it. Its some kind of pride thing with them and as soon as its gone they get there pride back. I have seen it with many Japanese motorcycles. I have a model that was never that popular but a good bike overall. It was discontinued last year and already some parts are hard to find. If you need a plastic body part good luck. I know they are supposed to support for 7 or 10 years but it seems they rarely do in reality.

I think its pretty low of them to put out a defective firmware that causes major problems. They really need to put out another one to fix it but somehow I doubt they will. Maybe they did it intentionally to help kill the format?
post #549 of 700 Old 04-07-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron_Boy View Post

I did not realize that HD DVDs came in multiple formats. I don't own any of the ones you mention, but I can test my SD DVDs. Planet Series Earth looks OK too. I'll have to look into whether any of my HD DVDs are MPEG-4 encoded.

NB

Well... not exactly multiple "formats," just multiple compression encodings. I know how you feel though--you look at one title and it's easy to think all's well. Then you take a gander at one of the afflicted titles, and it's like "Holy s**t!!!" (Planet Earth has a VC-1 encode, so it's fine.) With HD DVD, Paramount/DreamWorks seems to favor MPEG-4 more than the other majors. So when testing titles for the anomaly, you can start with Paramount.

SD DVD uses MPEG-2 compression (not MPEG-4), and really shouldn't be viewed on the A20/A35/XA2 at 24fps anyway. The anomalies seen with SD DVD (at 720/60p or 1080/60p) have more to do with the unit's widely reported slightly subpar deinterlacing than anything else. However, I find the A35's deinterlacing to be superior to that of my Sony A3000, so I've chosen not to run my A35 at 1080i. (On my system, 1080/60p doesn't have the hideous jaggies issue that 1080/24p does.)

On another note, I think we all might need to take a deep breath and relax a bit. For I believe Toshiba will come out with a firmware update to address this problem. I've been at this HD DVD thing since nearly the beginning, and I've noticed something with Tosh that consistently occurs: When they "rush" (a relative term, to be sure) their firmware fixes, s**t tends to happen almost without fail. For whatever reason, their technicians just don't seem to work well under the gun or when running against the clock, so to speak. However, between all the HD DVD players I've owned since the outset, there have been a few updates that were pretty clean and stable. When they screw s**t up (and they've done it more times than not), they tend to come back with an update that may fix the previous issue but then screws up something else. And that very frustrating merry-go-round keeps turning and turning and turning.

In contrast, Sony and their PS3 will take their sweet-a** time coming out with updates. And almost without fail, their updates are flawless. They test and test and test and test before unleashing it on us. Why Toshiba doesn't do the same, frankly, is beyond me; this MPEG-4 issue should have been an easy catch, all things considered. Still, people moan and grown that Sony takes too long with their updates. So it seems that no one camp is ever really satisfied. I say we've made the investment (for better or ill), so let's give them the benefit of the doubt. Tosh will still be doing business here in the US, and I don't believe they want this stain hanging over their heads. They even threatened lawsuits against Warner and the BDA earlier this year (for collusion and/or breach, I believe it was reported) but ultimately chose not to persue it in order to protect their other business relationships here, which are substantial. I'm pretty confident they'll do right by us in the end. I don't think there's much to worry about there. What we should be worried about is the quality of the update and whether or not it breaks more than it fixes. I, for one, am willing to let Tosh take as long as they deem necessary in order to get this one right. And if they screw us yet again, well... that's a horse of a different color--In the words of Vito Corleone at a meeting with The Commission regarding Sonny's death in the first Godfather, "...and then I will not forgive!"

Panasonic PT-AX200U

Da-Lite Model B 106" HCMW
Sony KDS-60A3000

VIP 3D Theater Plus Converter w/ MonsterVision Max 3D Eyewear
Onkyo TX-SR805 (v1.08 w/DSP & HDMI Updates)
Oppo BDP-103
Sony PS3 Slim (v4.50)
Toshiba HD-A35 (v4.0)
Polk Audio RTi8 / CSi5 / FXi3
Boston 595x Subwoofers

My DVD Collection

post #550 of 700 Old 04-07-2008, 04:27 PM

I have an HD-D3. I was having problems with frames freezing and the movie locking up. So I updated to ver 2.0. Toshiba's website states the update should take about 30 minutes. Mine only took about 10 minutes. Anyway, I tried playing The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Young and a 1004050 error code pops up. I have done some searching and it seems that this code may mean that the update was interrupted. I did the update off an ISO image disc that I created CD-R. The player says the update version is 2.0.

I played No Reservations and it worked just fine. Any thoughts on how to correct this? I tried to go back down to the 1.3 v, but the player stated the player was already updated. BTW, when I tried to run the 2.0 v firmware update again, it also stated that the player was already updated. I'm not sure I have the correct file for the 1.3v update. Anyone know where I can find a copy that works?

TIA

Before having children I could afford this stuff.
post #551 of 700 Old 04-07-2008, 08:39 PM

How can I tell what firmware version is on the player? I just bought the player today. Sorry for the newbie question...
post #552 of 700 Old 04-07-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 751
How to check your Firmware Version on your HD DVD Player
Quote:
Originally Posted by halokilla77 View Post

How can I tell what firmware version is on the player? I just bought the player today. Sorry for the newbie question...

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #553 of 700 Old 04-07-2008, 09:06 PM

aaronwt thank you so much. Just checked and I got 1.1...
post #554 of 700 Old 04-07-2008, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Man, Im pissed off,
I just cant beleive how much crap this 2.0 is, What does this update fix? I think this was intentionally put out to F*** up the players instead of help them, I cant play half of my twin format movies on 2.0 and for the first time when shutting down the Player after removing a HD DVD - the player went to GoodBye and then froze, and on the tv it stated disc empty, And it powered off, So i had to manually unplug the machine when this happened. Its no coincidence that this happened after putting 2.0 on.

DONT PUT 2.0 on your machine.

I didnt even want 2.0 on my machine, I thought 1.3 was still the newest version and finally got a hd-a30 with 1.1 on it, So i updated expecting to have 1.3 and saw 2.0, And right away i felt like something bad was going to happen..

An update after HD DVD went downhill? Sounds kind of funky...

Its sad that no companies take pride in there work any more.
That being stated i am or at least was half/half on the war- But seeing as my PS3 is a 10X better player than the HD-a30 its kind of sad that a standalone player cant do the one with its meant to do- Play HD DVD's.

But then again I hear ppl with 360 HD Players with NO ISSUES.

Anyways does the 1.3 hacked version work just like 1.3 with no side efffects? What is being hacked? Im worried that it might brick my machine or something?
Anyone use it with no problems?
post #555 of 700 Old 04-08-2008, 02:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by btdvox View Post

Man, Im pissed off,
Anyways does the 1.3 hacked version work just like 1.3 with no side efffects? What is being hacked? Im worried that it might brick my machine or something?
Anyone use it with no problems?

Yes the hacked version works just fine. It is the original Toshiba 1.3 update but with the version check removed. Normally, an update checks the version already in the player and if the update is a lower version than that in the player it won't run - it just says something like 'you already have a more up to date FW version'. The hack removes this region check so the 1.3 firmware will load even on a machine that has 2.0 in it currently. The hack doesn't touch the firmware code at all - just the version check.

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/8d9b5c5e55_38.63MB

HTH, Keith

PS. Dozens of people have run this update version with no problems at all. There is a dedicated thread on here somewhere. Look for the posts by user 'Unbiased'.
post #556 of 700 Old 04-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Hey Keith,
Will this work with my d3 or will it only work with the a30?

ETA: I found UNBIASED A3 download (assuming I can use this for my D3) in this thread. It's taking close to 10 hours to download this thing. Did anyone else's download take this much time? Maybe UNBIASED should zip it. Also, do I still need to burn it as an ISO image or can I just burn the file to a CD-R?

post #557 of 700 Old 04-09-2008, 04:22 AM

guys, does anyone know of a firmware or hack to make the A3/EP30 region free for SD-dvd playback?

I cant seem to find one anywhere!
post #558 of 700 Old 04-09-2008, 01:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesha View Post

Hey Keith,

ETA: I found UNBIASED A3 download (assuming I can use this for my D3) in this thread. It's taking close to 10 hours to download this thing. Did anyone else's download take this much time? Maybe UNBIASED should zip it. Also, do I still need to burn it as an ISO image or can I just burn the file to a CD-R?

Here you go, I uploaded a zipped version for you. I don't know if zipping these files compresses them much (the actual filesize is actually saying its a couple of bytes larger than the plain ISO file). But I zipped it anyway and here is the new download link to the zipped version for the Tosh A3 V1.3 firmware mod to reload back from V2.01.

Download link:
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/046da66720_38.61MB

I just zippd the .iso file and it is now in a .zip file. You will have to unzip it to extract the actual .iso file now. Then burn it to a CD-R disc.

Edit: Oh, to answer your other question about will it work with the D3, I don't know really, I don't have a D3. But if Toshiba's official download page mentions and mixes the A3 and the D3 firmwares together, then I suppose it should work. Mind you, I have not looked at the Toshiba official download site in ages...! So you should check first yourself. Usual disclaimer applies. Do at your own risk.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
post #559 of 700 Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 PM

A3 and D3 are the same machine. As been explained before, the designation of D3 was used on units shipped to places like Costco and Sams Club, and were bundled with an HDMI cable as a bonus.
post #560 of 700 Old 04-10-2008, 02:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesha View Post

Hey Keith,

My transfer took just a few minutes - it's not a massive file - maybe a server problem. If it's already an ISO image I guess just burning it 'as is' to CD will be fine.
post #561 of 700 Old 04-10-2008, 02:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazjunky View Post

guys, does anyone know of a firmware or hack to make the A3/EP30 region free for SD-dvd playback?

I cant seem to find one anywhere!

Go here:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=64196

And join the fun. It will cost you 40 bucks though (if it ever gets released).
post #562 of 700 Old 04-10-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

My transfer took just a few minutes - it's not a massive file - maybe a server problem. If it's already an ISO image I guess just burning it 'as is' to CD will be fine.

I tried it again and the zipped file took me 2 hours. Man, I don't understand what's going on. I spoke with my ISP and they think it's my computer, but I've tried it on 2 computers. Same situation on both.

post #563 of 700 Old 04-10-2008, 08:23 PM

Just for grins I timed the download of that ZIP file to my own system. It took 4 1/2 minutes. I observed the transfer rate was about 145KB/Sec which is very slow in my opinion. I normally see 600KB - 900KB/sec transfer speeds from a decent file host. Just for comparison sake I also downloaded the ZIP file found on the Toshiba site, and it only took just over 1 minute to download
post #564 of 700 Old 04-13-2008, 04:34 PM

I have tried everything to burn a V1.3 Disc to upgrade my 1.1 version A3 Player that I recently obtained. Not computer literate I guess. Please PM me if you can and I will compensate you for your troubles mailing me one. Located in California.

Thanks in advance if someone can help,

David
post #565 of 700 Old 04-14-2008, 06:11 AM

another story of someone who mistakingly upgraded to the new firmware and had to back out of it back to 1.3 Basically my only reason for buying this was to correctly display 24p. Anyways, thanks so much for posting the hacked firmware and helping me with backing up guys!
post #566 of 700 Old 04-14-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLEC View Post

I have tried everything to burn a V1.3 Disc to upgrade my 1.1 version A3 Player that I recently obtained. Not computer literate I guess. Please PM me if you can and I will compensate you for your troubles mailing me one. Located in California.
Thanks in advance if someone can help,
David

What software are you using to burn the .iso file? The .iso file is an image which is to be copied to a CD-R or CD-RW. I have successfully used IsoBurn 1.1, ImgBurn, and BurnatOnce. These are all freeware and worked successfully. The only thing I recommend is you burn at slower speed such as 8X.
post #567 of 700 Old 04-15-2008, 08:57 AM

Liked: 14
Has anyone noticed that the A35 (at least with FW 2.0) does full bitstreaming over HDMI of DTS-MA? I wasn't expecting this from what I've read in the manual and on these forums but my Yamaha RX-V3800 decodes it properly and the appropriate indicators on the AVR light up (DTS Master Audio, 7.1 channels). This was tested with 'Pan's Labyrinth' HDDVD which only has a DTS-MA 7.1 channel audio track.

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #568 of 700 Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillspace View Post

Has anyone noticed that the A35 (at least with FW 2.0) does full bitstreaming over HDMI of DTS-MA? I wasn't expecting this from what I've read in the manual and on these forums but my Yamaha RX-V3800 decodes it properly and the appropriate indicators on the AVR light up (DTS Master Audio, 7.1 channels). This was tested with 'Pan's Labyrinth' HDDVD which only has a DTS-MA 7.1 channel audio track.

maybe this is a bad place to ask this, but what advantage does bitstreaming over HDMI do? I was under the impression that if I had a reciever that takes in HDMI (which I don't yet) I would just have it as linear PCM and as long as my reciever can decode everything I am fine.

Or maybe I just answered my self and bitstreaming is for recievers that can't decode it?!?
post #569 of 700 Old 04-15-2008, 10:20 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsmaniac02 View Post

maybe this is a bad place to ask this, but what advantage does bitstreaming over HDMI do? I was under the impression that if I had a reciever that takes in HDMI (which I don't yet) I would just have it as linear PCM and as long as my reciever can decode everything I am fine.

Or maybe I just answered my self and bitstreaming is for recievers that can't decode it?!?

Bitstreaming is for AVRs that do decode the new HD audio formats. Basically, the bitstream is the pure ones and zeroes, unprocessed by the player passed the AVR and then gets decoded...decoded once that is. The advantage I see with this is that you can take advantage of the already equalized and balanced speaker setup via the AVR versus the player. Someone can chime in if I'm going in the wrong direction with this.

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #570 of 700 Old 04-15-2008, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Well right now my A35 can send DTS-HD MA 7.1 encoded bitstreams straight to my Integra DTC-9.8 and the Integra processes them correctly. I have a PS3 for BluRay and it doesn't always decode DTS-HD MA 7.1 properly so it's a problem for some titles. If the dts decoder were full featured, there would be no difference between decoding in the player and the prepro. But the DTS decoder in the Integra prepro decodes more DTS formats and is less problematic with 7.1 tracks than the one on the PS3 is right now. For example the PS3 will not decode even old style DTS-ES streams completely, while the prepro does. The Integra will also correctly decode DTS 96/24 streams, while the PS3 will not.

So for maximum flexibility its best if the player can send bitstreams, as well as decode itself.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page