Firmware 2.0 for A3/A30/A35 out (dont update if you use 1080p24 it causes jaggies!) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 700 Old 02-14-2008, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy brit View Post

Yep.

If you don't mind me asking.. Which display?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 700 Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by compson View Post

This may be a stupid question, but are those of you who see jaggies watching on a display with a refresh rate that is a multiple of 24?

Yes (XA2>VW60 in my case)

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #183 of 700 Old 02-14-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased View Post

I just saw this tidbid of news whilst searching for where to buy HD DVDs (in particular the Star Trek Enterprise HD DVD set) and ran into this article:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/14...o-drop-hd-dvd/

A bit OT but I felt it was impactful to Toshiba HD-DVD player owners and relevant.

FYI, there is no Enterprise HD DVD set....

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #184 of 700 Old 02-14-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

FYI, there is no Enterprise HD DVD set....

Shucks! That breaks my heart! I thought I read somewhere whilst googling, that they were coming out with a set on HD DVD. Anyway, enough OT talk on this topic here. I see there are other threads already talking this stuff now so will take it there.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
post #185 of 700 Old 02-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hopefully they resolve this problem before they drop the format.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." -Sir Walter Scott

post #186 of 700 Old 02-14-2008, 09:04 PM

FYI. I can tell you about one observable change I notice and have confirmed between the V1.3 firmware and the V2.0 firmware.

I have this scratched up Superman Returns HD DVD that won't play anymore in this Tosh A35 of mine. When I had firmware V1.3 and inserted this disc, it would say Loading and sit there for a minute or two then it would display on TV screen the message box saying the disc is not in DVD Format or something like that and halt.

When I updated to firmware V2.0 and tried inserting this same disc, it would say Loading as normal, but this time it would just sit there and hang on "Loading" and would not stop and did not display the error info message. I hit eject disc button and it did eventually eject the disc, but the display on the front of the unit would still be stuck saying Loading. Inserting another good playable disc, starts the player going fine again.
At this point I was not sure if it was because I might have damaged the disc making it worse by trying to scrub and buff it smooth again or not and whether this was causing V2.0 firmware to get stuck at saying Loading forever. BUTT! since I was now able to go back and reload firmware V1.3, I tried inserting this disc again to see what happens.
Well, it again said Loading and it again times out and displayed the error message box on the TV display saying the disc was not in DVD format.

This is a marked difference in behavour between V1.3 and V2.0 firmwares. I can only deduce that maybe Toshiba removed the error time out and halt routine and is allowing the player to keep retrying to read and read and read longer or forever in an attempt to reduce the player from freezing up during bad disc read areas.

Anyway, just FYI. No biggie. I am still back on firmware V1.3 for this reason and plan to stay with V1.3 until we get more input about V2.0 firmware experiences.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
post #187 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgodd View Post

If you don't mind me asking.. Which display?

Panasonic AX-100
post #188 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
Quote:

Here are instructions on how to do it:

1) You must have a copy of the Toshiba HD-A35 Firmware V1.3 downloaded from their update site. I don't know if it is available any longer since they might have replaced it with the latest V2.0 at this time of writing.

2) You will need a hexidecimal editor such as HexEdit or something similar. A search on the web for hex editors will lead you to something for free I am sure.

3) Make and keep a backup copy of your original V1.3 firmware file in case you mess up and need to get a fresh original copy of it.

4) Use the hex editor to open the firmware file. It should display the contents of the file from the beginning (top) of the file. If not go to the top of the file where line 1 is. Put the cursor at the first byte (upper left corner of the editor).

5) Use the find or search function and search for the hexidecimal number 0514.
6) It should be found right at the beginning of the file at the very top. You will want to change that value to be 07D1.

7) Next search for the key word 1300 text (which is also at the very top beginning of the file clearly visible by naked eye).

8) You change this to 2001 text value.

9) Save the file renaming it if so desired (but keeping the *.ISO extension) and exit the editor.

10) You are done editing the flle! Now burn the ISO image to CD-R and you can install the firmware V1.3 back to your Toshiba HD-A35 if it has V2.0 installed on it.

Note: this will only install if you are on firmware V2.0 or below.

Updated to add links to pics:

I took before and after screenshots for referencing and uploaded them for viewing. I highlighted the values locations to be changed. One shot is the original V1.3 firmware values and the other screen shot is of the modified V.3 firmware values.

When you click on the links to view the pictures be sure to expand the to their full size image or else the numbers may be blurry.

Before the mod values:
http://www.imageno.com/hjeqxeu9vku2pic.html

After the mod values:
http://www.imageno.com/d6etx80jdkzqpic.html

Update2: For those who don't want to bother with the DIY aspect of it all, here is the entire firmware V1.3 ISO file already modified for you. Just download burn it to a CD-R and reload! Make sure you use good CD-R disc! Download file here:
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/dd39423a08_38.64MB

Usual Disclaimer: This is not a task for someone who does not understand what they are doing with the hex editor concept. You do this back level mod at your own risk! I have nothing to do with it other than informing you it can be done and how I did mine. I can only promise you that it works. But if anyone attempts to do it and botches it up and bricks their player, that's your own responsibility. 'nuff said.

You are an absolute star. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to do this. Much appreciated.

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #189 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Here are instructions on how to do it:

Before the mod values:
http://www.imageno.com/hjeqxeu9vku2pic.html

After the mod values:
http://www.imageno.com/d6etx80jdkzqpic.html

Update2: For those who don't want to bother with the DIY aspect of it all, here is the entire firmware V1.3 ISO file already modified for you. Just download burn it to a CD-R and reload! Make sure you use good CD-R disc! Download file here:

Usual Disclaimer: This is not a task for someone who does not understand what they are doing with the hex editor concept. You do this back level mod at your own risk! I have nothing to do with it other than informing you it can be done and how I did mine. I can only promise you that it works. But if anyone attempts to do it and botches it up and bricks their player, that's your own responsibility. 'nuff said.

I can confirm that the update back to 1.3 (!) that you posted works just fine and my player is now back to 1.3 following the abortive 'update' to 2.0. Thanks again for your help.

Isn't it amazing that Toshiba, with their (presumed) enormous technical resources, can release this FW 2.0 update and after just one day ordinary users with nothing other than a DVD player, a screen and their eyes can see that it has some huge bug in it that Toshiba themselves couldn't apparently find in all of their R&D testing facilities?

Now that I have gone back to 1.3, the 'test' scene from Ch5 of Transformers shows amazing smoothness at 1080p/24 and a total absence of jaggies. The difference between that scene at 1.3 and at 2.0 is revelationary.

Thanks to the eagle-eyed guys on here who first spotted this problem and reported it here.

Keith

post #190 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 06:00 AM
Ola

Anybody here who knows where I can get the 1.3 update? I'm still at the original FW, but would like to update to 1.3 and not 2.0. Can't find it on the Toshiba web.

Thanks,

Ola
post #191 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Isn't it amazing that Toshiba, with their (presumed) enormous technical resources, can release this FW 2.0 update and after just one day ordinary users with nothing other than a DVD player, a screen and their eyes can see that it has some huge bug in it that Toshiba themselves couldn't apparently find in all of their R&D testing facilities?.....

No wonder Toshiba lost the war.

Thanks a lot for the 1.3.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." -Sir Walter Scott

post #192 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
for what it's worth...
Firmware Update Version: 2.0

Applicable Models: HD-A30, HD-A3, HD-D3, and HD-A35.

Overview: As part of our commitment to provide world-class service to our customers, Toshiba is supplying this firmware update for use by purchasers of the Toshiba HD DVD Player models listed above. This firmware update improves support for 1080p/24Hz and auto mode(for HD-A30 and HD-A35), improves network connectivity for supporting the download of web-enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba.

Important Note: Certain HD DVD discs may contain or have the capability of downloading studio-provided, web-enabled network content. To minimize any potential compatibility and/or connectivity issues it is recommended that you perform the firmware update process to ensure that your HD DVD player is using the latest firmware version.

How to obtain and install the firmware update:

1. If you have broadband internet service, you may obtain the firmware update over the internet using the Ethernet port on the back of your HD DVD Player. Instructions for configuring the Ethernet port and downloading the firmware update can be found in the owner's manual and the Update Procedure sheet for your HD DVD Player. Here is an overview of the process:

BEFORE BEGINNING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCESS, BE SURE TO REMOVE ANY DISCS FROM YOUR HD DVD PLAYER.
Please configure the Ethernet port. You may need to turn on DHCP and DNS.
After you have configured the Ethernet port, follow the directions in the owner's manual to check for a firmware update.
If a firmware update is available for your player, it will take about 20 minutes to download and install. Once the firmware update download process has finished, the player's power will automatically switch off. You must wait until this process has finished.
" DO NOT UNPLUG, TURN OFF, OR USE ANY OTHER FEATURE OF YOUR PLAYER DURING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCESS. Doing so will cause the writing of the firmware update to the player to be halted and the player may no longer operate properly. If the player stops working, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at 1-800-319-6684 or HD-DVD Concierge at 1-888-MYHDDVD(1-888-694-3383).
If no firmware update is available, the player will quickly exit the firmware update process.
Please refer to the owner's manual for additional details.
2. If you have a PC with a CD-R or a CD-RW drive that is connected to the internet, you may be able to download an ISO image file of the firmware update to your PC and copy it to a blank CD-R or CD-RW disc, as applicable. For more information, and to download an ISO image file of the firmware update click here.

3. If you are unable or prefer not to obtain the firmware update by one of the methods described above, you may contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at 1-800-319-6684 or HD DVD Concierge at 1-888-MYHDDVD(1-888-694-3383), and request that a firmware update disc be sent to you by mail. You can update the firmware using the firmware update disc by following the instructions provided with the disc.

Please note that if you sent Toshiba the Firmware Update Request card included with your player, you will receive an update disc by mail from Toshiba as soon as it becomes available.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q1. What does this update do?

A1. This firmware update improves network connectivity for supporting the download of web-enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, improves certain video and audio processing capabilities, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba.

Q2. Why do I need to turn on DHCP and DNS?

A2. Turning on DHCP causes the player to automatically detect its IP address and other network information from your internet service provider's DHCP server. Turning on DNS causes the player to automatically detect the DNS server address associated with your internet service provider.

Q3. I purchased an HD DVD disc that contains/has the capability of downloading web- enabled network content. What do I need to do to view this content?

A3. First, be sure that you have properly configured the player's Ethernet port. If your Ethernet port is properly configured, perform the firmware update process to update the player's firmware to the latest firmware version. Once you have updated the player with the latest firmware, follow the directions that came with the HD DVD disc or that appear in the menu of the HD DVD disc. Should you experience problems viewing such content, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at 1-800-319-6684 or HD-DVD Concierge at 1-888-MYHDDVD(1-888-694-3383).

Q4. The HDMI output does not work or works intermittently with the HDMI or DVI input on my HDTV or monitor. Does the new firmware address that issue?

A4. The firmware update addresses and improves HDMI and DVI connectivity issues. If you still experience such issues, try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable. Make sure your display input is set to HDMI (or DVI). If your display has more than one HDMI/DVI input, make sure that all connected HDMI/DVI source devices are powered on (even if not in use). If none of these solve the issue, please turn off the TV and the HD DVD player. Check all connections. Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. Turn on the TV first and then turn on the HD DVD player. Should you continue to experience issues, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at 1-800-319-6684 or HD-DVD Concierge at 1-888-MYHDDVD(1-888-694-3383).

Q5. During HD DVD playback I sometimes experience pixelization, block noise or audio dropouts. Sometimes playback freezes or stops. Sometimes, playback is not smooth. Does the new firmware address these issues?

A5. This firmware update addresses various playability issues. You should also check to be sure that the disc is clean and, if the disc will not operate at all, that you are inserting the disc with the right side up. In the event that playback freezes or stops, press and hold the ON/STANDBY button on the front of the player for approximately ten seconds. This will cause the player to turn off. After the player turns off, turn the player back on by pressing the ON/STANDBY button, and then press the OPEN/CLOSE button to remove the disc. Should you continue to experience issues, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at 1-800-319-6684 or HD-DVD Concierge at 1-888-MYHDDVD(1-888-694-3383).

Q6. Do I need to install prior firmware updates before installing the current firmware update?

A6. No. The current firmware update includes all of the prior firmware updates.

post #193 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 06:22 AM

Has anybody reported the issue to Toshiba? I wouldn't expect they would be around reading this forum to learn about their product issues.
post #194 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post

Has anybody reported the issue to Toshiba? I wouldn't expect they would be around reading this forum to learn about their product issues.

I just checked their website, the 2.0 firmware update has been removed. The 1.3 is now back.
post #195 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 07:57 AM

Liked: 12
I updated my A30 to 2.0. I'm seeing the jaggies also in the same Bumblebee seen, although I don't know if it was there on FW 1.3. Anyone know how to reload 1.3? Thanks.
post #196 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post

I updated my A30 to 2.0. I'm seeing the jaggies also in the same Bumblebee seen, although I don't know if it was there on FW 1.3. Anyone know how to reload 1.3? Thanks.

Right above in this thread. Not for the faint of heart, but pretty easy of you know what you are doing.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post13113427
post #197 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

anyone with 2.0 try to update via ethernet to see if it downloads and installs 1.3? or does it say your firmware is already current. i only ask cause i read 2.0 is no longer available.
post #198 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonte View Post

Okay, so I went through the update, however, when starting the Player up it seems to have bricked the player...

The "Welcome" text is displayed but no video and no "Loading" text pops up? Is my player essentially bricked?

I have no idea what the problem might be, I never removed power from the unit during the update...

Either way is there anyway to reset the player?

Exactly the same problem here (ep-35), both removing the power, end resetting the player keeping pressed the start bottom for 10 seconds don't solve the problem; the player is stock on the "welcome" message
post #199 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Anybody here who knows where I can get the 1.3 update? I'm still at the original FW, but would like to update to 1.3 and not 2.0. Can't find it on the Toshiba web.

Thanks,

Ola

I have uploaded the original ver 1.3 Toshiba firmware for the A35 player to the following site. Note that if you have already upgraded to ver 2.0 you need Unbiased's crack of the 1.3 firmware or the version checking will prevent you from reverting back to 1.3. THIS FILE IS THE ORIGINAL ver 1.3 FOR USERS WHO WANT TO UPDATE FROM 1.1.

As always, use at your own discretion. If you brick your player, I don't want to know. (Although it was downloaded from Toshiba originally and hasn't been tampered with).

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/137f101fa1_38.64MB

Keith

post #200 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

How do you know which version of the firmware you get from Toshiba. I just downloaded the file "HD-A3-2000U" but it doesnt say which version it is. Is this the 2.0?

Also, I am having trouble with burning the ISO to a disc. I have burned two disc's with Nero 7 and when I put it in the A3 it says "this disc is not DVD format, can not play"
What Am I doing wrong?

Thanks
post #201 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm View Post

How do you know which version of the firmware you get from Toshiba. I just downloaded the file "HD-A3-2000U" but it doesnt say which version it is. Is this the 2.0?

Also, I am having trouble with burning the ISO to a disc. I have burned two disc's with Nero 7 and when I put it in the A3 it says "this disc is not DVD format, can not play"
What Am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Use IsoBurner:
http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

Eamus Catuli!
Zerstörung durch Fortschritte der Technologie

post #202 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 11:06 AM
j7f

fwiw...
firmware v 2.0 is still readily available at toshiba's site:
http://www.tacpservice.toshiba.com/C...andnotices.asp

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...d3firmware.asp

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp

i own the hd-d3 [hd-a3]...i think i'll sit this round out. if it's still a viable enough product for them...and, there's another firmware down the line...i'll consider installing that one. this one...makes me nervous. i've had ZERO problems or issues w/ this player running fw 1.3.

i run this model on a panny plasma and a Hitachi 50PD9800TA...

i've had zero problems...and, my standard def dvds look great, to boot. don't want to risk bricking my players.

anyone else w/ hd-d3 [hd-a3] thoughts?
post #203 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7f View Post

fwiw...
firmware v 2.0 is still readily available at toshiba's site:
http://www.tacpservice.toshiba.com/C...andnotices.asp

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...d3firmware.asp

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp

i own the hd-d3 [hd-a3]...i think i'll sit this round out. if it's still a viable enough product for them...and, there's another firmware down the line...i'll consider installing that one. this one...makes me nervous. i've had ZERO problems or issues w/ this player running fw 1.3.

i run this model on a panny plasma and a Hitachi 50PD9800TA...

i've had zero problems...and, my standard def dvds look great, to boot. don't want to risk bricking my players.

anyone else w/ hd-d3 [hd-a3] thoughts?

Same here. I too have had zero problems with 1.3. The ONLY reason I bothered with 2.0 was that it promised auto frame rate and under 1.3 I have to manually go into setup to change 1080p24 to 1080p when I want to play a standard DVD. I thought that auto format would do it for me. I now know of course that auto format does nothing at all according to Toshiba and is meant for future developments where the disc manufacturers put an appropriate flag on the product. IOW, it's pointless ATM.

I had to get Unbiased's crack to revert back to 1.3 to get rid of the jaggies. Like you, I think I will stay with 1.3 on the basis that "if it ain't borke, don't fix it"

Keith

post #204 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointyskull View Post

Use IsoBurner:
http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

That did it. burned the disc and it works. Nero is supposed to do ISO's, but I guess not!

Anyway, I hope this update to the A3 will fix the playability issues i'm having. If not, its going back to Citcuitcity.
post #205 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Thanks,

Ola

I uploaded it earlier.

Keith

post #206 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

Thanks but I put it up somewhere already. I will also update my earlier instructional thread with the download link now too. Took awhile to upload, big file it is!

Here it is:

I have a Toshiba A30 with it's original firmware (1.1 I think).

Your hacked 1.3 version is labeled as A35 firmware. Even though Toshiba uses separate download options for the A30 and the A35 I suspect that they are the same. Is that the case?

Last night late I downloaded HD-A30-2000U.zip from Toshiba before I found this thread. I haven't installed it, but I assume that it's the version 2.0 firmware.

Someone posted a little while ago that version 2.0 had been taken down and replaced with version 1.3 by Toshiba this morning. At 11:11 AM PST I downloaded the firmware from Toshiba again. It seems to be exactly the same one I downloaded last night. At least the byte count of the zip file is the same.

There may be some confusion at Toshiba.

I'm positive that I'm confussed.

Calibration Resources:

post #207 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Just updated my A3 to version 2.0 and now the stalling and playability issues seem to be gone on mallrats. so far so good
post #208 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm View Post

Nero is supposed to do ISO's, but I guess not!

Nero does. I burned two FW updates via Nero 7. You cannot burn the .iso file as a data disc; there is an option for copying an image to the dvd, that is the one you need to select to properly burn the .iso file.
post #209 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I uploaded it earlier.

Keith

I'm downloading your A35 1.3 file, but I don't know if it can be used with an A30.

Calibration Resources:

post #210 of 700 Old 02-15-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectra57 View Post

I just checked their website, the 2.0 firmware update has been removed. The 1.3 is now back.

I found 2.0 for the A30 at 11:11 AM PST this morning. The ISO's time stamp is the same as the copy I downloaded last night.

Which model firmware did you download?

Calibration Resources:

Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page