HD-DVD Firmware links for all models - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 154 Old 10-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How come I can't download any of these updates? When the downloads are done, the WinRAR says that it is damaged or corrupt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 154 Old 10-20-2008, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. If you'd like to get rid of your onkyo hd805 please dropp me a line. thanks
post #93 of 154 Old 11-05-2008, 05:19 AM

To my surprise I received a disc in the mail yesterday with 4.0 for my A35. It is certainly to Toshiba's credit that they are still publishing updates ands (supposed) improvements for a now defunct product. But...

Has anyone loaded it? I've never updated the firmware for either of my players (other is an A3) because they seem to work fine as is in my system (no 1080P available, component only) and because so many problems have been reported following installation of later versions.

Thoughts? Experiences?

-don
post #94 of 154 Old 11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 58
And yet I have owned 6 HD DVD players (an A1, an XA2, an A30 and currently have 3 A35s) and have yet to ever receive a single upgrade disk.....
post #95 of 154 Old 11-13-2008, 09:23 PM

anyone know how to burn this using a mac... I don't know how to make an ISO disk,
post #96 of 154 Old 11-14-2008, 10:09 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdastas View Post

anyone know how to burn this using a mac... I don't know how to make an ISO disk,

I made a copy of the steps from an earlier post and copied them below:

How to burn ISO disc images

Thu, Jun 22 '06 at 7:30AM PDT

Submitted by vocaro

Disc images are a fairly common packaging standard for large software programs. If you want to try out a new Linux distribution, for example, chances are you'll need to download a disc image in ISO format and burn it to a blank CD-ROM or DVD.

But ever since I began using Mac OS X, I've been perpetually confused about how to burn ISO images. I'm used to disc burning utilities that have an obvious, explicit command like "Burn ISO Image to CD." To make life even more confusing, OS X's Disk Utility does have a Burn command, but it becomes disabled when you click on the blank disc you'd like to use for the burn.

The problem here is that most Mac disc utilities, including the built-in Disk Utility, take a different approach when it comes to image burning. Instead of telling the program you want to burn an image, then choosing the file, you're supposed to do the reverse: You choose the file, then tell the program you want to burn it. So, to burn an ISO image to disc, here's what to do:

1. Insert a blank disc.
2. Start Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility)
3. From the File menu, choose Open Disk Image and select the ISO to be burned.
4. In the list of volumes, you will now see an item representing the ISO file. Select it.
5. Click the Burn button and follow the instructions.

To reinitialize the player

1. Update FW to 2.2
2. Clear Persistent Storage
3. Shutdown player
4. Unplug player
5. Press power on player (yes, AFTER unplugging)
6. Wait for about 1 minute
7. Re-plug power
8. Restart player and play the disc.
post #97 of 154 Old 11-14-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Thomas View Post

I made a copy of the steps from an earlier post and copied them below:

How to burn ISO disc images

Thu, Jun 22 '06 at 7:30AM PDT

Submitted by vocaro

Disc images are a fairly common packaging standard for large software programs. If you want to try out a new Linux distribution, for example, chances are you'll need to download a disc image in ISO format and burn it to a blank CD-ROM or DVD.

But ever since I began using Mac OS X, I've been perpetually confused about how to burn ISO images. I'm used to disc burning utilities that have an obvious, explicit command like "Burn ISO Image to CD." To make life even more confusing, OS X's Disk Utility does have a Burn command, but it becomes disabled when you click on the blank disc you'd like to use for the burn.

The problem here is that most Mac disc utilities, including the built-in Disk Utility, take a different approach when it comes to image burning. Instead of telling the program you want to burn an image, then choosing the file, you're supposed to do the reverse: You choose the file, then tell the program you want to burn it. So, to burn an ISO image to disc, here's what to do:

1. Insert a blank disc.
2. Start Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility)
3. From the File menu, choose Open Disk Image and select the ISO to be burned.
4. In the list of volumes, you will now see an item representing the ISO file. Select it.
5. Click the Burn button and follow the instructions.

To reinitialize the player

1. Update FW to 2.2
2. Clear Persistent Storage
3. Shutdown player
4. Unplug player
5. Press power on player (yes, AFTER unplugging)
6. Wait for about 1 minute
7. Re-plug power
8. Restart player and play the disc.

Thank you much... worked perfectly!
post #98 of 154 Old 11-17-2008, 10:02 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdastas View Post

Thank you much... worked perfectly!

Glad it worked for you, I've been burning discs using these instructions from vacaro for several versions and it has always worked for me.
post #99 of 154 Old 11-18-2008, 08:50 PM

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased some UK Region 2 Pal DVD's to play on my Toshiba HD-A2. I tried downgrading the firmware and then turning it into an HD-E1. Everything worked like it was supposed to, except that I wasn't getting an image, but was getting sound. Long story short, I ended up buying one of the cheap Philips region-free dvd players, and it works like a champ. I now want to turn my HD-E1 back into the original HD-A2 firmware, does anyone know if someone has written the HD-E1 to HD-A2 switch? I have tried searching through the various forums to no avail, and thought I'd try it out here, thanks for all of your help!
post #100 of 154 Old 11-22-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencosmos View Post

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased some UK Region 2 Pal DVD's to play on my Toshiba HD-A2. I tried downgrading the firmware and then turning it into an HD-E1. Everything worked like it was supposed to, except that I wasn't getting an image, but was getting sound. Long story short, I ended up buying one of the cheap Philips region-free dvd players, and it works like a champ. I now want to turn my HD-E1 back into the original HD-A2 firmware, does anyone know if someone has written the HD-E1 to HD-A2 switch? I have tried searching through the various forums to no avail, and thought I'd try it out here, thanks for all of your help!

Why not just leave it as is? It defaults to PAL when first turned on but it will still play any NTSC DVD (R1, R2 Japan & R3) you put in it no matter what region is. In the future maybe you will get a new TV that supports PAL.

The only pain in the butt is that you have to tap in the RCE fix on your remote when you want to play a RCE disc. Other than that you have a sweet region free player.
post #101 of 154 Old 11-22-2008, 09:05 PM

Liked: 16
On the mac- every time it downloads I get a "mounting failed"- and when i burn it I get an error message when I try to run it on the xa-2- How do you get it to not mount-?? thanks
post #102 of 154 Old 11-25-2008, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have an RCA 5000 which I found out today that RCA doesn't support anymore (aholes). The problem is that I bought a new Mits DLP tv this past week and the RCA will not handshake with the set. I figured I would update the F/W and get on with life- but no.
I read at the beginning of this thread that the A1 F/W is essentially the same. I downloaded the latest (V4) zip file from the link provided. I unzipped it and tried to burn the .iso file as an image to a cd-r using roxio v9. But I keep getting an error that says there's a problem with px.dll, pxafs.dll, etc..
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I just updated my Sony BD player the other day w/o problem..
Thanks, Gerry
post #103 of 154 Old 11-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

I've avoided Roxio software for years but can recommend ImgBurn. It's freeware and should burn an .iso image flawlessly.
post #104 of 154 Old 02-05-2009, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So I have an HD-A1 and want to update the firmware. How to go about this? -- I see the modem port on the back and have found the UPDATE part of the menu and know the updates exist online...now how do I bring these all together?
Thanks
post #105 of 154 Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

So I have an HD-A1 and want to update the firmware. How to go about this? -- I see the modem port on the back and have found the UPDATE part of the menu and know the updates exist online...now how do I bring these all together?
Thanks

Thanks to all the members that helped. I called for the update CD this morning, so my fingers are crossed that all goes well and it does not destroy the functionality I now have!
post #106 of 154 Old 02-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Thinking about picking up a Toshiba Model HD-A3KU from someone for a cheap price. I already have the HD-A2 4.0 firmware disc. Can this firmware disc also be used on the Toshiba Model HD-A3KU? I know stupid question.
post #107 of 154 Old 02-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingu808 View Post

Thinking about picking up a Toshiba Model HD-A3KU from someone for a cheap price. I already have the HD-A2 4.0 firmware disc. Can this firmware disc also be used on the Toshiba Model HD-A3KU? I know stupid question.

That's a no.
post #108 of 154 Old 03-30-2009, 12:59 AM

Hi a have a preowned HD-E1 and heard about the upgraded 4.0 firmware and did that and have found out that it didn't make it region free the player i have is a New Zealand one.Is it possible to go backwards to the region free 2.5 software ? And how on earth would you do it .I also read that someone got his HD-E1 to output in 1080p 24 is this possible and again how on earth would i do it ? I have basic computer skills .Any help advice is greatly accepted.
post #109 of 154 Old 03-30-2009, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokki View Post

Hi a have a preowned HD-E1 and heard about the upgraded 4.0 firmware and did that and have found out that it didn't make it region free the player i have is a New Zealand one.Is it possible to go backwards to the region free 2.5 software ? And how on earth would you do it .

http://cid-6948f2460bdd190c.skydrive...TY%20Australia

Will run on any current firmware. No need to revert to version 2.5 first. Re-apply version 4.0 afterwards.
post #110 of 154 Old 04-01-2009, 02:37 AM

Hi thank you so much worked like a charm.
post #111 of 154 Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 AM

Your player is now regionfree. Just be aware that some NTSC region 1 discs are in addition encoded with something called RCE. You will then have to enter the RCE hack which is:

1) Turn on player
2) Open tray, put disc in tray but donĀ“t close
3) Push T.search on remote
4) Push 1, 3, 9 and 1
5) Push T. search on remote.

You will see TEST on your player

6) Press PLAY on the remote

When player is turned off, this setting is cleared.
post #112 of 154 Old 06-18-2009, 05:40 AM

Does anyone know what issues the 4.0 firmware fixes? The Toshiba description is vague. I've got an HD-A30 and am wondering if they made changes to the audio area.

Also, some people seem to have trouble with the 4.0 update. Is that a fluke or is the 4.0 not really recommended?
post #113 of 154 Old 06-22-2009, 05:48 AM

I trust Toshiba when it comes to laptops. The durability is unquestionable.

Do you have the quickest link for all of the firmwares?

"A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person."- wedding wedding songs-
post #114 of 154 Old 06-22-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonone View Post

I trust Toshiba when it comes to laptops. The durability is unquestionable.

Do you have the quickest link for all of the firmwares?

View the first post in this thread.
post #115 of 154 Old 06-22-2009, 06:04 AM

I installed the v4 firmware on one of my HD-A30s over the weekend. I was hoping that it would fix the freezing that I was getting on the third disk of Battle Star Galactica, Season 1, but it did not. It's odd, because the disk is pristine condition with no scratches or smudges.

I'm going to test the disk on my other A30 when I get a chance to determine whether it's the player or the disk.
post #116 of 154 Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

MTAtech, I suspect it's the disc even though it appears pristine. I've had this happen with a handful of new discs and both of my A30s had trouble with these discs but not others. At the time I had firmware 1.1 and 1.3 on these units. Upgrading to 4.0 seemed to help a little but still problems. Overall 4.0 made both players work smoother and I'm glad I upgraded them but it doesn't help with disc problems a whole lot.

Anyway, I tried a recommendation in another thread of washing the disc and to my amazement it usually works. Just wash gently with a non filming detergent and rinse under very warm running tap water. Not saying this will cure every disc read problem but it's been extremely effective for me. There seems to be an invisible film on some factory fresh discs that a little soap will clean off.

2008 Samsung HLxxA650/Series 6 DLP Thread/FAQ
HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #117 of 154 Old 06-22-2009, 11:36 AM

I'll try that Quenin. Can't hurt.
post #118 of 154 Old 06-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Let us know if it helps, I think it will.

2008 Samsung HLxxA650/Series 6 DLP Thread/FAQ
HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #119 of 154 Old 06-22-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

I installed the v4 firmware on one of my HD-A30s over the weekend. I was hoping that it would fix the freezing that I was getting on the third disk of Battle Star Galactica, Season 1, but it did not. It's odd, because the disk is pristine condition with no scratches or smudges.

I'm going to test the disk on my other A30 when I get a chance to determine whether it's the player or the disk.

That is a known defective disc, apparently only the early pressings. I notified Universal and was instructed to return mine but unfortunately Universal was out of HD DVD replacements and I accepted the DVD set.

Chris
post #120 of 154 Old 06-23-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

That is a known defective disc, apparently only the early pressings. I notified Universal and was instructed to return mine but unfortunately Universal was out of HD DVD replacements and I accepted the DVD set.

Chris

Of course, I could just buy a new HD-DVD set for under ~$10. Or better, buy a new one for ~$10, exchange the old one with Columbia for a new std DVD and sell that one on Ebay or Amazon for ~$25.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page