Good places to get HDDVD in Japan? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-20-2008, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wondering if anyone has some good places to look for HD DVD in Japan. Will be going to Tokyo in a couple of weeks and wondered if I could find any interesting HD DVD's there or maybe some bargains.

Thanks,
jb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarm View Post

Wondering if anyone has some good places to look for HD DVD in Japan. Will be going to Tokyo in a couple of weeks and wondered if I could find any interesting HD DVD's there or maybe some bargains.

Thanks,
jb

I second that also, I'll go to my annual tokyo trip at the end of the year. Would also want to know where can I got some HD-DVD deal as well.

But, my guess, if I'm there now are the numerous Dept store in Tokyo or Shinjuku, they'll have Entertainment section there for sure. Perhaps Somewhere in electronic Mecca "Akihabara" as well. But I'm just in to this HD-DVD, so I didn't pay attention last year.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-20-2008, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

The best place to try I think is Yodobashi Camera. There is one at Akihabara, and Shinjuku iirc. And Yojohama if you are down that way.

Alternatively Bic Camera has a few locations.

IIRC both still had plenty of HD DVD in stock last in March - of course that might not be the case any more...
post #4 of 13 Old 06-20-2008, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

The HD DVD selections in Tokyo stores are getting slim these days. Many stores are trying to get rid of them now, but they don't usually dump them at cheap prices. They mostly had relatively small selections to begin with and they are not getting any more stock now, so titles are running out gradually.

I'd recommended checking out these stores in Akihabara:

- Sofmap stores (been selling at 50% off MRSP but running out)
- Yodobashi Camera (running low, Warner titles 50% off others just 10% or 20% off)
- Ishimaru stores (MRSP prices, still a fairly good selection)

Bic Camera stores in Shinjuku and Yurakucho also still have a fair selection but they are still selling at their normal 10% off MRSP prices. Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku already dumped all their HD DVDs to a special container in some corner and they were selling those at 20% off (not a great discount but little was left).

Feel free to ask me for some more detailed info e.g. by PM when you are about to travel, if you like.

HD DVD: 387 (new: Taking Lives ; list)
Blu-ray: 262 (new: North Face (UK) ; list)
HD DVD-R: 262 (new: Charlie Wilson's War ; list)
post #5 of 13 Old 06-20-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannisto View Post

The HD DVD selections in Tokyo stores are getting slim these days. Many stores are trying to get rid of them now, but they don't usually dump them at cheap prices. They mostly had relatively small selections to begin with and they are not getting any more stock now, so titles are running out gradually.

I'd recommended checking out these stores in Akihabara:

- Sofmap stores (been selling at 50% off MRSP but running out)
- Yodobashi Camera (running low, Warner titles 50% off others just 10% or 20% off)
- Ishimaru stores (MRSP prices, still a fairly good selection)

Bic Camera stores in Shinjuku and Yurakucho also still have a fair selection but they are still selling at their normal 10% off MRSP prices. Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku already dumped all their HD DVDs to a special container in some corner and they were selling those at 20% off (not a great discount but little was left).

Feel free to ask me for some more detailed info e.g. by PM when you are about to travel, if you like.

Thanks Kannisto,

I went to Sofmap website http://google.com/translate?u=http%3...F8&sl=ja&tl=en
Man their prices is still above US$40. I dunno how are you holding up Kannisto.

So I'm assuming there are no good deal for Japanese Band of Brothers right?
post #6 of 13 Old 06-20-2008, 12:21 PM

I don't know about Tokyo...but some stores in other major cities I've been to (Nagoya, Nagano, etc) hardly even had any Blu-ray discs. One place said they didn't stock BD because there was no demand for it. Sounds like High-def isn't as big a deal over there. Probably because standard def DVD's look fine on their smaller TV sets in their homes...
post #7 of 13 Old 06-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abee View Post

Thanks Kannisto,

I went to Sofmap website http://google.com/translate?u=http%3...F8&sl=ja&tl=en
Man their prices is still above US$40. I dunno how are you holding up Kannisto.

So I'm assuming there are no good deal for Japanese Band of Brothers right?

Sofmap's online shop hasn't had discounts, just their B&M stores have

Some individual BoB discs are still floating around in shops but none left at SofMap stores I go to (I actually did buy disc 4 for someone from there just yesterday though, the last one they had). It's very difficult to find all 5 in Tokyo stores, some shops still have one or 2 but trying to collect the whole set would require visits to a whole lot of stores and the prices wouldn't be cheap either.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-26-2008, 03:19 AM

I do not suggest wasting time on visiting stores that most probably do not carry HD-DVD at all. It is far better to shop on the web. Amazon.co.jp has excellent selection, the best prices and they ship fast. I've got my order shipped to LA in 2 days. HMV.co.jp is also good choice.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-26-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Do any of the Japanese releases (Jersey Girl, Band of Brothers, Machinist, Equilibrium, Resident Evil, Oliver Twist, Underworld, etc) have menus in English? I can navigate most menus in other languages but ones that aren't Indo-European like Mandarin, Japanese, etc are a total loss for me.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post

Do any of the Japanese releases (Jersey Girl, Band of Brothers, Machinist, Equilibrium, Resident Evil, Oliver Twist, Underworld, etc) have menus in English? I can navigate most menus in other languages but ones that aren't Indo-European like Mandarin, Japanese, etc are a total loss for me.

Some of them have top level menu icons in English, some in Japanese. Sub-menus are more often in Japanese only. There's not that much to navigate though, typically the menus have "Play", "Chapters", "Setup" and "Extras" options on the main level and you can just start to play from the first menu option that's highlighted first by default and turn the Japanese subs off by your remote while the movie starts playing without using the menu for that. It wouldn't take long to figure the whole menus out by pure experimentation either. Identifying all the extras could be a little more difficult but there aren't that many extras on many of these releases.

The import sticky here has the information about menu language for some of these titles on its first page and there is a quick translation for BoB floating around in the import sticky as well (the one I wrote). I can provide a direct link if needed.

post #11 of 13 Old 07-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

I am still looking for Discs 3 and 4 from the Japan Band of Brothers set. If anyone has a source, please let me know. (I have a friend in country who can have it shipped to her house if it is a Japan-only site.)

Thanks.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-01-2008, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

I just got back from Tokyo and did visit one of the Sofmap stores in Akihibara. Actually I visited two, the one that had all the 'adult' selections on the top floor had no hddvd's -- not that I'm into pron on hddvd.

The second store had the hddvds in a dump bin (one of the top floors). A fairly good selection at 50% off MSRP. However MSRP is about 5,000 yen (about $48), so at 50% off or 2,500 yen is not a good deal at all. Good thing I wasn't there just for HD DVD's.

It was really sugoi to visit Akihibara though, crazy selection of cool stuff and fun place to visit.

Arigato gozaimas for the tips though.

jb
post #13 of 13 Old 08-01-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarm View Post

I just got back from Tokyo and did visit one of the Sofmap stores in Akihibara. Actually I visited two, the one that had all the 'adult' selections on the top floor had no hddvd's -- not that I'm into pron on hddvd.

Yeah Right, Sure..... I bet you went to the Kabukichō in Shinjuku for the real deal.

Anyway did you have sushi for breakfast at the Tsukiji Market?
If you missed it, you better go back there now... LOL

BTW, thanks for the scouting report.
Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page