Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just found this on WSR, any takers??

http://www.widescreenreview.com/news...l.php?id=18450

I know with the 3 SA players, 2 HTPC's, and XBox360 addon I am set to use the 200+ HDDVD's I already have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Only available to USA resident....
post #3 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'm going to do it. It's a win-win. Keep your original HD DVDs minus the covers you send to Warner for Blu replacements. I think I have near 200 HD DVDs.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #4 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

I'm going to do it. It's a win-win. Keep your original HD DVDs minus the covers you send to Warner for Blu replacements. I think I have near 200 HD DVDs.

Max is 25 that you can trade in and you have to pay a small fee with shipping costs. Does not sound like a good idea at all.

HD DVD 354ish
Blu Ray 375ish
360 Halo Reach Slim,360 Elite 120GB, MW2 250GB, Halo 3 20GB, RE5 120GB, PS3 Fat 320GB, PS3 Slim 250GB, Wii
HD DVD & Blu Ray players, too many
Money Spent.... Priceless
post #5 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
The actual discs are useless to the studio. This is an incentive and promotional program to transition the first adopter HD DVD owners to Blu-ray. Pretty much for previous Warner HD DVD owners you can transition a 25 disc HD DVD library over to Blu-ray for $125 bucks, and hopefully you will start buying Blu-ray's at a higher rate.

Like the trade in programs for HD DVD hardware after the format war, this is design to take away the pain of buying into high definition and is a targeted promotion to high value users. If it costs them $2 per disc for a 10 to 25 disc library its a $20 or $50 promotional cost micro targeted at high value users that they still actually break even on, and creates oodles of goodwill where people think they are getting $100-$300 of product value.

Great move.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #6 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Max is 25 that you can trade in and you have to pay a small fee with shipping costs. Does not sound like a good idea at all.

Should have read the fine print I guess. So, for 25 titles, it's $130.70 w/shipping. That's $5.23/title. It may be possible to eBay the 25 HD DVDs w/o sleeves at a price that would get your $130 investment back, unless a lot of people start doing the same thing & driving the value down. Yeah, come to think of it, this may be too much hassle...I'd do it if I could turn in all my HD DVDs, not just 25.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #7 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 07:26 AM

I'm split, on one hand it would be nice to consolidate everything to one format, on the other hand its paying money for very little additional content if any. I think I'm going to wait to see what the first reports are from people who have done it. Do you get the full blu-ray packaging? or just the discs, in the event of upgrades like Casablanca do I get the box set?

Is there a list of titles that are actual upgrades to bd? rather than repackaging or downgrades? I'm thinking I want to exchange Casablanca and the Ultimate Matrix, maybe a few others, but I'll wait to see...
post #8 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

What of us that have spent a lot of time with custom cover art... of course most times we have the UPC code on the back... but it does leave questions.... And as much of a packrat as I am I LITERALLY just through the originals out about 2 weeks ago... FML

post #9 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrojunkie View Post

Is there a list of titles that are actual upgrades to bd? rather than repackaging or downgrades? I'm thinking I want to exchange Casablanca and the Ultimate Matrix, maybe a few others, but I'll wait to see...

+1.

Warner isn't like Universal where there are a lot of Blu-Ray releases that have upgrades from HD DVD version. Definitely no upgrades to the titles listed on the site.

Webdev511
San Jose, CA
TrueHD = DTS-MA = LPCM
Low Bit Rate AVC > Low Bit Rate VC-1
High Bit Rate VC-1 > High Bit Rate AVC
MPEG-2 = Great for DVD and that's about it.
post #10 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Who said HD didn't have any effect on BD sales. ha.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #11 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Here's the press release in full:

Burbank, CA, April 22, 2009 – Warner Home Video (WHV) has announced the launch of two new programs, “Warnerblu Buy 5 Get 1 Free,” the Studio’s first-ever Blu-ray Disc™ customer loyalty program, and an HD-DVD trade up program, “Red2Blu,” which offers HD-DVD owners the opportunity to upgrade their Warner Home Video releases on HD-DVD for a Blu-ray Disc of the same movie.

For those who have chosen to watch movies at home the best way possible, with the picture and sound that you can only get on Blu-ray Disc, the new “Warnerblu Buy 5 Get 1 Free” program offers consumers one free Blu-ray movie for every five participating titles purchased through April 6, 2010 (shipping and handling not included). “Warnerblu Buy 5 Get 1 Free” is open to residents in the United States and Canada.

To join “Warnerblu Buy 5 Get 1 Free,” consumers register at Warnerblu.com/rewards. After joining, members earn one credit for each subsequent WHV Blu-ray title they purchase. Once their Blu-ray title is registered, their Warnerblu account is credited,and when they reach five Blu-ray titles, they will be able to select a free WHV Blu-ray Disc (plus shipping and handling).

The first participating Blu-ray release is Yes Man,released on April 7. For details and restrictions and a list of upcoming participating WHV titles, visit WarnerBlu.com/rewards.

In addition to “Warnerblu Buy 5 Get 1 Free,” WHV has announced a new program, “Red2Blu,”for those who want to upgrade titles they currently own on HD-DVD to Blu-ray. By visiting Red2Blu.com, consumers can trade up virtually any of their WHV HD-DVD titles (up to 25) for the same title on Blu-ray for a small fee plus shipping and handling. For details and restrictions, visit Red2Blu.com. “Red2Blu” is available to residents of the United States only.

Also, to promote the launch of “Warnerblu Buy 5 Get 1 Free,” WHV is launching the “Blu-ray Today” sweepstakes, featuring a grand prize of $5,000. Once they enter the sweepstakes, customers can return to the web site every day for additional entries (one per day). The “Blu-ray Today” sweepstakes runs now through April 6, 2010 on WarnerBlu.com.

To register for “Warnerblu Buy 5 Get 1 Free,” to take advantage of “Red2Blu,” and for more information on the sweepstakes, visit Warnerblu.com/rewards or Red2Blu.com.

-------------------

Click on http://red2blu.com/products.html and click 'Show All' to see all 128 HD-DVD titles in this promotion.

I'm personally OK with this. Just because I enjoy HD-DVD doesn't mean people that enjoy high-def media and want to have all (or most of) their movies/concerts/etc. in one format shouldn't have a chance for a relatively cheap path to that format. Our main criticism of AVS posters boasting proudly that they were dumping HD-DVD titles for their BD counterpats was that it was an unnecessary waste of money for the exact same transfer. For under $10 ($4.95 plus S&H which can't be more than five bucks) these BD's would cost about what they go for on sale a few times a year during an amazon 3-for-2 BOGO.
post #12 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am going to trade up at least my Harry Potter gift set. I believe the BD version has 1080p extras, will be nice to get those.
post #13 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 08:14 AM

This is a pretty darn good deal, considering you get to keep your HD-DVD media...it's not like a trade-in so much as a great way to get these movies cheap. Heck, if you have someone you need to buy gifts for you can always send in your covers and get sealed copies on Blu to give away and keep the HD-DVD copies for yourself. Seems like a win-win to me; you can always print out one of the alternate covers posted here anyway.
post #14 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

So I am basically paying $5-6 per disc more to insure my HD collection with a format which may require I buy an additional $200+ box??
Esp. when there is no sign of wear or tear on my initial format nor is there an improved PQ/AQ quality in the WB transfer?

How is this a good deal again?

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #15 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

The actual discs are useless to the studio. This is an incentive and promotional program to transition the first adopter HD DVD owners to Blu-ray. Pretty much for previous Warner HD DVD owners you can transition a 25 disc HD DVD library over to Blu-ray for $125 bucks, and hopefully you will start buying Blu-ray's at a higher rate.

Like the trade in programs for HD DVD hardware after the format war, this is design to take away the pain of buying into high definition and is a targeted promotion to high value users. If it costs them $2 per disc for a 10 to 25 disc library its a $20 or $50 promotional cost micro targeted at high value users that they still actually break even on, and creates oodles of goodwill where people think they are getting $100-$300 of product value.

Great move.

Hardly a good will gesture, especially since it is not an upgrade. HD DVD owners don't need to pay extra for blue-colored cases with the same encodes. Warner may be trying to cash in on the flood of old HD DVD inventory that is beginning to surface. This may be their way of making a profit, however small, on the discs they dumped to third parties. After all, where did the Bonnie and Clyde HD DVD come from all of a sudden, just before the release of the blu-ray?

How is this a "design to take away the pain of buying into high definition"? HD DVD IS high definition. HD DVD owners have already made the transition to high definition. The only transition they haven't made is from exclusive red or inclusive purple to exclusive blue.

Pardon my skepticism; but if it comes from Warner, I assume that all the good will is meant for Warner, not for the consumer. A real gesture of good will would have come earlier, not when folks are buying up Warner discs on HD DVD at $5 to $10 a pop. If you trade in that cheap disc, when you add $5 plus shipping to a bargain, it isn't a bargain anymore.

But I am sure you will see discs without cover art showing up all over the place now, as people try to get back the $5 plus shipping surcharge to trade red for blue. Of course, when you can get the same disc new with cover art from an online supplier for $5 to $10, what would consumers be willing to pay for a disc without the art? $3? $2? $1? Who knows?

If people are ashamed to have red covers on their shelf, it would cost a lot less just to replace the red covers with blue ones. You can buy lots of ten, twenty or a hundred for low cost online. Other than the color of the case, I can't see why people would pay extra to get the same transfer and PQ (in most cases).

So I ask, apart from "good will," what is Warner afraid of? Why the sudden change of heart? Are these the same new execs who are willing to press CHDVD discs for China? Will they ask the Chinese to trade in their CHDVD discs for blu-ray for a certain amount of yuan plus shipping?

You state, "hopefully you will start buying Blu-ray's at a higher rate..." Warner's concern is that bargain buys in HD DVD will hurt, however insignificantly and however short-term, their blu-ray sales. So, it is hoped that trading for a few blu-ray discs will increase the appetite to buy more blu-ray. The problem is that cheap HD DVD's have made many retail blu-rays look unappetizing, especially when the same title appears in both colors.

The problem is not ours, for holding onto our HD DVD's, but the studios', for pricing their discs the way they do in a very tight economy. Blu-ray is selling quite well, all things considered. This may be due to the fact that the wealthy folk who buy such things haven't felt the impact of the economy yet. But, for many people out there, the cheapest equivalent is the best buy. It is -- and always has been -- an issue of best bang for the buck.

Just MHO.
post #16 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Depend if you're stuck with a dead HD DVD Player. Like my friend for example. He have about 40 title. About half / half Universal and WB. But he'll only rebuy those he have when they are in special. If your HD DVD player is working fine, i see no reason to 'upgrade'.

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #17 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webphilosopher View Post

The problem is not ours, for holding onto our HD DVD's, but the studios', for pricing their discs the way they do in a very tight economy. Blu-ray is selling quite well, all things considered. This may be due to the fact that the wealthy folk who buy such things haven't felt the impact of the economy yet. But, for many people out there, the cheapest equivalent is the best buy. It is -- and always has been -- an issue of best bang for the buck.

Just MHO.

Yep - the great war was supposed to be a boon for BD fanatics. Why they are still having to sit on the sidelines waiting for the ever elusive price drops is a mystery.

Price has always been the determinant. Not technology - in this case it was BD's capacity nothing more.

post #18 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 AM

I think this deal is great.
I only have 3 qualifying disks, Planet Earth, Troy, and Swordfish. Two of which i got for free and have never even opened.
so for $27.87 after tax, i can copy the coverart, keep my HD-DVD movie intact, and get the Blu copy for when i purchase a BD player.
This also allows me to do a side by side of HD-DVD vs Bluray for these three titles for fun.
so for 27.87 + the $30 i spent of Planet Earth I get 2 copies of each.

Dave
post #19 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post

Depend if you're stuck with a dead HD DVD Player. Like my friend for example. He have about 40 title. About half / half Universal and WB. But he'll only rebuy those he have when they are in special. If your HD DVD player is working fine, i see no reason to 'upgrade'.

Of course, an HD DVD player can be replaced more cheaply than spending $130 or more for replacement blu-ray discs with shipping. Everything but the XA2 (or its Onkyo clone) and the A35 is wildly affordable right now.

Let me add: As a genuine good will gesture, Warner should provide free replacements with free shipping. Now, that would be a genuine good will gesture.
post #20 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKStallion View Post

I only have 3 qualifying disks, Planet Earth, Troy, and Swordfish. Two of which i got for free and have never even opened.
so for $27.87 after tax, i can copy the coverart, keep my HD-DVD movie intact, and get the Blu copy for when i purchase a BD player.
This also allows me to do a side by side of HD-DVD vs Bluray for these three titles for fun.

Dave

Instead of getting duplicate copies of what you already have, why not spend the money on new blu-ray titles you don't already have?
post #21 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKStallion View Post

Dave

Were you even watching your HD copy enough to warrant anxiety over it's longevity?

Many here have bought hundreds or even just a dozen & have not had the time to watch their HD catalogue more than once or not @ all.
So I wonder where this worry is coming from to have to worry about buying an insurance policy on your disc + a potential new box.

Just like DVD's, were the HD going to die in just a couple of years of service?

post #22 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

Were you even watching your HD copy enough to warrant anxiety over it's longevity?

Many here have bought hundreds or even just a dozen & have not had the time to watch their HD catalogue more than once or not @ all.
So I wonder where this worry is coming from to have to worry about buying an insurance policy on your disc + a potential new box.

Just like DVD's, were the HD going to die in just a couple of years of service?

I think the concern is with the longevity of the players, and not the discs.

post #23 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
May do the Harry Potter disks, but I don't have the Ultimate Matrix Box set , just the regular 3 movie box set on hd-dvd.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #24 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

... but I don't have the Ultimate Matrix Box set , just the regular 3 movie box set on hd-dvd.

I'm in the same boat; I've got the 3-disc Matrix set and for some reason that isn't included. Is there a way to contact them to find out what the deal is?

Other than that this is a great little promotion that I may as well take advantage of because one day my dual-format player will either cease to function or be too outdated to play new discs.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #25 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I was just about to come in here and ask about the complete matrix, and see others have similar questions.

I'm wanting to do this, but i have reservations on some titles:
1) Superman Returns: will the blu have True HD?
2) Is it worth it to spend an additional $5 on titles that will no doubt be re-released -- Superman titles. We know there will be a 5 movie box set in the future... should i pay $15 to upgrade these just so I can pay more for another edition?
3) Are there any other titles where the blu-ray is a downgrade? I know there were some differences with 300 and Blood Diamond.

There's also the issue where there isnt an equivalent blu (Smallville S5) and a few others...

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #26 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Of course, as it was suggested on another forum, you could keep your HD DVD's, print out custom cover art for them, and resell the brand new blu-ray discs and sets for a handsome profit, especially Harry Potter or Planet Earth.
post #27 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

May do the Harry Potter disks, but I don't have the Ultimate Matrix Box set , just the regular 3 movie box set on hd-dvd.

ditto. I don't mind having the HD DVDs of the Matrix though, but I am tempted with Harry Potter Boxset and Casablanca though.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #28 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbooth View Post

I am going to trade up at least my Harry Potter gift set. I believe the BD version has 1080p extras, will be nice to get those.

+1

I also look at this as a win-win. All i have to do is scan and copy the cover, put that in my red case, send in the original sleeve and now I have 2 copies. There are some that I would like to go blu on. HP is a good one. Batman Begins is another.... and so on.

Technically you could even just sell the old HD DVD on ebay with a printed cover. It is not like you don't have the case for it.... not that you get much for them now anyway.

I really like my HD DVDs and prefer them over my BDs, but I do worry about long term playability even though I have an HD-805, HD-A3, Xbox add on and an LG GGC-H20l PC drive.

I will concede one plus for the bluray: I am really impressed with this 3M coating. It makes them much less prone to accidental scratches..... like no one has accidentally dropped one before.

I wouldn't do it on all of them though.... maybe just about 10.

Edit: Looking over the list, I might do a bit more. I didn't realize how many warner titles that I have. Batman, Supermas, HPs, I am legend... I could easily do $25. I do like the idea of selling these on ebay to recoup the cost. I think I may be in for more like 20-25.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #29 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 AM

Love this plan... A few of my disc, now skip... I all ready have a blue ray player, so... nice way to get a scratch free disk
post #30 of 417 Old 04-22-2009, 10:39 AM

cue WB hd dvd cover art thread...
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page