Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 175 Old 10-27-2009, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by argento77 View Post

Yeah.Just like KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.Yeah,I know It's not an HD-DVD edition but the same problem.

Whatever:

I didn't like that movie when I have seen in the cinema.But when I bought the Extended version on DVD (and later on Blu) and I have seen the director's cut I was suprised.

I sad:Wow.I remember.It was a bad movie.I didn't like it.What happened ?

The KINGDOM OF HEAVEN re-cut was amazing.The storyline the characterization (Eva Green's personal tragedy).The WHOLE movie.It's not an another "fake" director's cut with some additional stupid scenes.This is the real version of the film.

The same effect just like Troy.The Director's cut is the winner.

gonna check it out then man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post

I watched Forbidden Planet this past weekend. Man, for a 1950's film, I was completely blown away! I really enjoyed the film as well as the image clarity.

indeed it`s a stunner, as it is the tin case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 175 Old 10-28-2009, 11:22 AM

ALEXANDER REVISITED - THE FINAL CUT

This is a reference HD Disc.

The pics is superb and the DD+ sound is bombastic.Especially in battles scenes.

Unfortunately I didn't like the film.However Colin Farrell played great the role of Alexander and Val Kilmer was brilliant.

About the movie:

It's a little bit boring,but it wasn't too bad.Sometimes I have felt it's too long.I have never seen the movie version so I don't know this FINAL CUT version is better or worse than the theatrical cut.Anybody ?

But it think It's not a good Oliver Stone movie.Stone has made really good movies in the past (Platoon,Natural born killers,JFK) but he should be take some rest.He's a tired director.

Then again I have 2 good news:

Angelina Jolie looks like a real goddess in this film and this edition contains an additional bonus disc with a lot of extras.It was a wise move from Warner.
post #63 of 175 Old 10-28-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 164
"Troy: Director's Cut" and "Alexander Revisited: Final Cut" back-to-back? Dude, you've had your fill of thousands of muscled oily men in cloths killing each other and hotter-than-Goddesses actresses disrobing for you in high-def. Expand your viewing choices!
post #64 of 175 Old 10-28-2009, 11:54 AM

And the 2nd one (for today):

THE LAST SAMURAI:

I saw that movie many-many times (on HD-DVD,DVD).

Of course the HD version is my favourite(the only one).It has brilliant quality and the all movie is amazing.

When I have seen first time on HD I was impressed.This film is a wonderful journey (and an epic tale).I think this is the best Tom Cruise movie I've ever seen & the HD-DVD edition is absolutely perfect.

The picture quality the details and everything else:amazing.Unfortunately this edition doesn't contains lossless sound (TrueHD or DTS HD),but Warner did a really good job with this DD+ mix on the disc.

However I have the EU new Blu-ray version and It contains TrueHD English sound. I'm very lucky.

LAST SAMURAI is a must have buy on HD-DVD...or on Blu.
post #65 of 175 Old 10-28-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

"Troy: Director's Cut" and "Alexander Revisited: Final Cut" back-to-back? Dude, you've had your fill of thousands of muscled oily men in cloths killing each other and hotter-than-Goddesses actresses disrobing for you in high-def. Expand your viewing choices!

Yeah,It's my fault.

I like history/epic/war movies.

Next time I'll post my opinions about only horror or sci-fi movies.
post #66 of 175 Old 10-28-2009, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

And "Last Samurai" makes it THREE epic war movies back-to-back-to-back for argento77. Dude, time for a girlie romantic comedy or a sobering documentary. Enough with the war epics!
post #67 of 175 Old 11-10-2009, 01:56 PM

Just saw Dead Silence around Halloween and it is scary!!! PQ/AQ is reference, must own!
I thought this was a great horror flick, not sure why the bad reviews? Cheap too!!!!

1080P at last!!!
post #68 of 175 Old 11-20-2009, 08:55 AM

I saw a really good movie today.

Everybody just stay calm.It wasn't a war epic movie.

TERMINATOR 2:ULTIMATE HD EDITION - GERMAN STEELBOOK

It was an unopened,brand new HD-DVD so I think it's time to watch it.

The STEELBOOK case looks marvellous.

The first time I had some problem because I have wanted to try the Quiz(or Spy ?) mode under the movie.But the German smart guys made it only for German language users.Why ??

The Sound:

The DTS-HD 7.1 English sound was'nt too bad.

Yeah I know It's just a lossy sound but sounds really good.

The pics:

It's not a reference HD picture quality like the French or UK Studio Canal versions (the VC-1 bitrate is a little bit low).

I think the german distributor used a different encode method on this release.

However It looks definitely better than the brand new Skynet edition BD "DNR" transfer.

And have some good news:

I found many bonuses on the Disc.It contains a lot of extra materials from the previous DVD releases.

It was a "must have" buy for me and of course It's a real classic from james Cameron.
post #69 of 175 Old 11-25-2009, 12:32 PM

Finally getting around to watching some flicks I picked up the past few months (toddler in the house makes it hard to find time). Watched half of Dune yesterday and thought the pic quality was fantastic, but it was soooo boring I turned it off half way through. Saw it in the theater when it came out and didn't really care for it back then either.

Just watched The Thing and thought it was exactly as a high def transfer should look. Very pleased with how that was put together and the movie actually was still fun to watch.
post #70 of 175 Old 11-28-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post

Finally getting around to watching some flicks I picked up the past few months (toddler in the house makes it hard to find time). Watched half of Dune yesterday and thought the pic quality was fantastic, but it was soooo boring I turned it off half way through. Saw it in the theater when it came out and didn't really care for it back then either.

Just watched The Thing and thought it was exactly as a high def transfer should look. Very pleased with how that was put together and the movie actually was still fun to watch.

THE THING HD-DVD PQ is much better than the BD version.The BD transfer contains too much DNR.It's a real reference quality HD-DVD title.

But I agree with you.THE THING HD transfer looks damn so good.

"Watched half of Dune yesterday and thought the pic quality was fantastic, but it was soooo boring I turned it off half way through."

The DUNE was "boring" ?? Why ???

It's was a real classic dude.
post #71 of 175 Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Just took Grand Prix out of the out of the shrink wrap and WOW! Filming on 65mm sure does make a difference. Print & transfer are nothing short of fantastic PERIOD. Now factor in that it was filmed in 1966 and that really just drops my jaw to the floor.

It's a MUST HAVE title.

Webdev511
San Jose, CA
TrueHD = DTS-MA = LPCM
Low Bit Rate AVC > Low Bit Rate VC-1
High Bit Rate VC-1 > High Bit Rate AVC
MPEG-2 = Great for DVD and that's about it.
post #72 of 175 Old 12-26-2009, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Saw 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), The Bourne Identity (2002) and The Bourne Supremacy (2004) the past couple of days. Visiting my father for Christmas vacation and giving his 52" 120Hz Sammy LCD a spin. He and his wife are still reeling from the experience of watching "2001" up close and personal in high-def, and I'm talking about the movie and not the extremely pretty pictures.
post #73 of 175 Old 12-31-2009, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I finally watched Children of Men two days ago on HD-DVD. Fantastic movie, sound and PQ. In the middle of the movie one of my children got up and I had to pause the movie to put them back to bed. When I got back, to my surprise, a Universal screen saver kicked in. I then got all teary eyed and remembered how much I missed HD-DVD- some functions are still ahead of blu-ray.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #74 of 175 Old 12-31-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Saw 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), The Bourne Identity (2002) and The Bourne Supremacy (2004) the past couple of days. Visiting my father for Christmas vacation and giving his 52" 120Hz Sammy LCD a spin. He and his wife are still reeling from the experience of watching "2001" up close and personal in high-def, and I'm talking about the movie and not the extremely pretty pictures.

I wanna see Space Odyssey.

Unfortunately I haven't got this masterpiece yet.It's a rare HD-DVD.

l'll buy It in 2010.I hope.
post #75 of 175 Old 01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wanna see Space Odyssey.

Unfortunately I haven't got this masterpiece yet.It's a rare HD-DVD.

l'll buy It in 2010.I hope.

You better get the blu-ray it's easily findable for at least half the price, it's the same transfer.

I don't see the point of buying an hd-dvd if it's much cheaper on blu, I bought 100s during the clearance sale but I have all I need that was released in that format.
post #76 of 175 Old 01-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

. . . When I got back, to my surprise, a Universal screen saver kicked in. I then got all teary eyed and remembered how much I missed HD-DVD- some functions are still ahead of blu-ray.

I had a similar experience just the other night. Sigh!

post #77 of 175 Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_qc View Post

You better get the blu-ray it's easily findable for at least half the price, it's the same transfer.

I don't see the point of buying an hd-dvd if it's much cheaper on blu, I bought 100s during the clearance sale but I have all I need that was released in that format.

Ok.

I'll buy the BLU version.
post #78 of 175 Old 01-06-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Ok.

I'll buy the BLU version.

Or just rent it. I heard a rumor that there will be a new SE of 2001 comning later in the year.
post #79 of 175 Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

I finally watched Children of Men two days ago on HD-DVD. Fantastic movie, sound and PQ. In the middle of the movie one of my children got up and I had to pause the movie to put them back to bed. When I got back, to my surprise, a Universal screen saver kicked in. I then got all teary eyed and remembered how much I missed HD-DVD- some functions are still ahead of blu-ray.

I've had the Universal screensaver kick in on some of my blurays.
post #80 of 175 Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Watched Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket (1987) last week (the Deluxe Edition) and the results were predictable for my folks seeing it for the first time (versus my umpteen millionth time seeing it): great first half (Pyle's confrontation with Hartman caught them completely off-guard and nearly made them want to stop watching), OK second half (they really bonded with Cowboy and Joker) and overall great but imperfect war flick. But damn, after so many viewings I had never made the connection between the speech by Hartman about Whitman/Oswald being motivated marines with sharpshooting skills and the sharpshooter in the final act of the flick. I literally felt like the 'Sucker/Jackass' visual joke in a Looney Tunes cartoon. Maybe the ever-improving high-def transfers on Blu-ray are spoiling me but damn, "FMJ" looks soft in HD-DVD. Not "Clockwork Orange" or "Eyes Wide Shut" soft but much more soft and bland than "2001" and "The Shining."
post #81 of 175 Old 06-06-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I just saw A Room With A View on HD-DVD for the first time and WOW, I loved it! Great flick with a neat (but not overwhelming) high-def transfer that brings the Florence and English countryside locales to life. The writing/story are simple yet deep but it's the acting that stands out. I can't belive that's Daniel Day Lewis as Cecil (soo mannered and nebbish it's hard to belive it's the same guy that played Bill The Butcher in "Gangs of New York"). Julian Sands, Simon Callow, Maggie Smith, Judi Dench (in what amounts to a glorified cameo at the beginning of the film), Denholm Elliott... just one standout Brit actor after another bringing Forster's charming eccentric characters to life. Helena Bonham-Carter is merely OK as the young lady the movie revolves around but the performances around her are so fine you kind-of buy that Helena is as good as them (which she isn't). Great HD-DVD blind buy.
post #82 of 175 Old 06-07-2010, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post

... You gotta say WOW seeing Shooter's girl in bra and panties with her 12 gauge pump shotgun!

+2

My favorite scene in that movie!
post #83 of 175 Old 06-30-2010, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Saw Wyatt Earp on HD-DVD for the first time, and... it's A-OK. I felt the weight of every second that entails watching a Kasdan-Costner co-production though (ponderous James Newton Howard score, solemn close-ups of Costner with fireworks in the background, etc.) but it was worth it. Seeing a still-youthful Kevin in high-def at the top of his game is always a treat. The pre-CGI sets/costumes and attempt to be a character study about Wyatt along with his friends/relatives at the expense of cool gunfights are all well done and entertaining if you're patient. Loved the way the movie shows Wyatt trying to de-mystify the then-contemporary myths about him that still endure today. Dennis Quaid's Doc Holliday is a scream (he steals the movie whenever Doc's on-screen) and the cast of bad-asses in supporting roles (Fahey, Madsen, Sizemore... even "NCIS" star Mark Harmon as a comic relief sheriff) only highlights how cliched and underwhelming the female characters/actresses are (the former more than the latter since top actresses like O'Hara and Rossellini are given little to work with) compared to the men's. Hackman's screen presence is shockingly short and underdeveloped (plus his Earp patriarch disappears before we're halfway through the flick) but Gene still delivers the goods.
post #84 of 175 Old 07-01-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:

Saw Wyatt Earp on HD-DVD for the first time, and... it's A-OK. I felt the weight of every second that entails watching a Kasdan-Costner co-production though (ponderous James Newton Howard score, solemn close-ups of Costner with fireworks in the background, etc.) but it was worth it. Seeing a still-youthful Kevin in high-def at the top of his game is always a treat. The pre-CGI sets/costumes and attempt to be a character study about Wyatt along with his friends/relatives at the expense of cool gunfights are all well done and entertaining if you're patient. Loved the way the movie shows Wyatt trying to de-mystify the then-contemporary myths about him that still endure today. Dennis Quaid's Doc Holliday is a scream (he steals the movie whenever Doc's on-screen) and the cast of bad-asses in supporting roles (Fahey, Madsen, Sizemore... even "NCIS" star Mark Harmon as a comic relief sheriff) only highlights how cliched and underwhelming the female characters/actresses are (the former more than the latter since top actresses like O'Hara and Rossellini are given little to work with) compared to the men's. Hackman's screen presence is shockingly short and underdeveloped (plus his Earp patriarch disappears before we're halfway through the flick) but Gene still delivers the goods.

Wyatt Earp was not a bad movie but i prefer the other Earp movie:Tombstone.It was a much better western, i think.
post #85 of 175 Old 07-06-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just saw SAHARA (2005) on HD-DVD for the first time and WOW, it (mostly) stinks! I know its a popcorn 'leave the brain at the door' type of flick but the preposterous set-pieces, music video-style presentation (a pop song during every other montage) and impossible coincidences just became too much to sustain the movie's weight. Only the triple-whammy finale involving a solar panel plant, a helicopter chase and a Civil War boat stranded in the Sahara desert (!) achieve the kind of madcap excitement "Sahara" promised, but by then I had already given up on the flick being any good. Matthew McConaughey seems like a genuinely nice guy but an Indiana Jones-type adventure star he ain't. Steve Zahn and Rainn Wilson score few laughs as the comic-relief sidekicks, and poor Penelope Cruz looks like she wants to catch the next plane out of this movie and into another Almadovar project. William H. Macy and Delroy Lindo also phone in their performances. Pretty coold HD pic/sound but this one turned out to be a waste of cash.

Other HD-DVD's I watched over the long July 4th holiday weekend (in the USA): AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (1981), THE UNTOUCHABLES (1987) and QUEEN ROCK MONTRAL & LIVE AID (2007).
post #86 of 175 Old 07-06-2010, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Other HD-DVD's I watched over the long July 4th holiday weekend (in the USA): AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (1981), THE UNTOUCHABLES (1987) and QUEEN ROCK MONTRAL & LIVE AID (2007).

Agree strongly with AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (1981) and THE UNTOUCHABLES (1987)! Both are really great entertainment.
post #87 of 175 Old 07-19-2010, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just watched HALF-BAKED (1998) on HD-DVD for the first time and WOW, it was barely OK. I'm not a fan of drug comedies (cannot relate to them since I never drank or did drugs growing up; not being preachy or anything, just saying why I couldn't relate to the material) and this one had amusing moments here and there. Bob Saget steals the movie with a super-filthy cameo and half-a-dozen recognizable names (Jon Stewart, Willie Nelson, Jerry Garcia, etc.) drop by for their minute or two of fun. I was surprised that Guillermo Diaz (an unknown actor) steals the movie from comedy veterans like Chappelle and Breuer with his ridiculous role of Scarface. Overall though this one runs out of steam way before it's 80 minutes are up. The HD-DVD combo began skipping at odd intervals, so much so that I had to flip over to the DVD side to finish the flick. To my disappointment the SD picture looked only marginally worse than the high-def version, meaning the HD-DVD wasn't as big a jump in quality as what I paid for (less than five bucks). Yes, I'm spoiled.
post #88 of 175 Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Agree strongly with AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (1981) and THE UNTOUCHABLES (1987)! Both are really great entertainment.

I still haven't watched my HD DVD of An American Werewolf in London, but strongly agree about The Untouchables. I have the LaserDisc which was a very good transfer, but never noticed that in a bunch of scenes Kevin Costner had pretty bad razor burn. Well not until I watched the HD DVD.

Webdev511
San Jose, CA
TrueHD = DTS-MA = LPCM
Low Bit Rate AVC > Low Bit Rate VC-1
High Bit Rate VC-1 > High Bit Rate AVC
MPEG-2 = Great for DVD and that's about it.
post #89 of 175 Old 07-27-2010, 11:19 PM

i just finally watched FACE OFF on hd-dvd and wow it looked great and sounded fantastic.really enjoyed it as i had never watched the hd-dvd or bd version of face off.it does have a somewhat far fetched plotline but-hey what the heck i liked it anyway!
post #90 of 175 Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I just saw GALAXINA (1980), A ROOM WITH A VIEW (1985) and SAHARA (2005) on HD-DVD -all three repeat viewings with commentary tracks on- and WOW: it stank ("Galaxina"), delighted ("Room") and proved that movies which are the funnest for filmmakers end up being the least-enjoyable experiences for audiences ("Sahara").
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page