Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 184 Old 11-06-2014, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Not sure why but all my Warner discs still seem ok!
Hi dude. Even if they are all good, that might change sooner or later. I remember, my Warner discs played fine years ago, today they freeze while I try to watch them. Unfotunately no joke. Or maybe this happened just to me. However, good luck!

Blerim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 184 Old 11-10-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noibeli View Post
Hi dude. Even if they are all good, that might change sooner or later. I remember, my Warner discs played fine years ago, today they freeze while I try to watch them. Unfotunately no joke. Or maybe this happened just to me. However, good luck!

Blerim
The same thing happened to a lot of owners of WB HD-DVDs. Anybody that has a large number of WBs that have not failed (or not been systemically checked) will surfer the same fate I afraid.

It is not limited to only WB either.
post #183 of 184 Old 11-14-2014, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
The same thing happened to a lot of owners of WB HD-DVDs. Anybody that has a large number of WBs that have not failed (or not been systemically checked) will surfer the same fate I afraid.

It is not limited to only WB either.
I am collecting HD DVDs since 2008 and there are some experiences I have made:

- a lot of WB HD DVDs do not play on my XA2, BUT, they play fine on the LG BH 200!
- a lot of WB HD DVDs did play fine years ago, now they don't anymore (that's fact)
- you can't say "my copy of THE ISLAND HD DVD (example) does play fine today and this will never change" as it MIGHT change
- I have over 1000 HD DVDs at home and I never had an issue with HD DVDs from other film companies

As far as I know, Warner and Cinram used bad HD DVD blanks and after some time their readability suffers. If anyone has made bad experiences with other non-Warner HD DVDs than I would assume that they just had no luck. I have also seen some bad Blu-rays and lots of DVDs but that's not a reason to assume that any format is generally crap. However, it's sad that to see that Warner failed this way as they released most of the HD DVDs
post #184 of 184 Old 11-14-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noibeli View Post
- you can't say "my copy of THE ISLAND HD DVD (example) does play fine today and this will never change" as it MIGHT change
Yes that is my point. I do not think non-WB discs are immune to degrading over time either although it is less likely then WB. Also other labels used Cinram as well.
Reply HD DVD Software