Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 190 Old 11-06-2014, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Not sure why but all my Warner discs still seem ok!
Hi dude. Even if they are all good, that might change sooner or later. I remember, my Warner discs played fine years ago, today they freeze while I try to watch them. Unfotunately no joke. Or maybe this happened just to me. However, good luck!

Blerim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 190 Old 11-10-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noibeli View Post
Hi dude. Even if they are all good, that might change sooner or later. I remember, my Warner discs played fine years ago, today they freeze while I try to watch them. Unfotunately no joke. Or maybe this happened just to me. However, good luck!

Blerim
The same thing happened to a lot of owners of WB HD-DVDs. Anybody that has a large number of WBs that have not failed (or not been systemically checked) will surfer the same fate I afraid.

It is not limited to only WB either.
post #183 of 190 Old 11-14-2014, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
The same thing happened to a lot of owners of WB HD-DVDs. Anybody that has a large number of WBs that have not failed (or not been systemically checked) will surfer the same fate I afraid.

It is not limited to only WB either.
I am collecting HD DVDs since 2008 and there are some experiences I have made:

- a lot of WB HD DVDs do not play on my XA2, BUT, they play fine on the LG BH 200!
- a lot of WB HD DVDs did play fine years ago, now they don't anymore (that's fact)
- you can't say "my copy of THE ISLAND HD DVD (example) does play fine today and this will never change" as it MIGHT change
- I have over 1000 HD DVDs at home and I never had an issue with HD DVDs from other film companies

As far as I know, Warner and Cinram used bad HD DVD blanks and after some time their readability suffers. If anyone has made bad experiences with other non-Warner HD DVDs than I would assume that they just had no luck. I have also seen some bad Blu-rays and lots of DVDs but that's not a reason to assume that any format is generally crap. However, it's sad that to see that Warner failed this way as they released most of the HD DVDs
post #184 of 190 Old 11-14-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noibeli View Post
- you can't say "my copy of THE ISLAND HD DVD (example) does play fine today and this will never change" as it MIGHT change
Yes that is my point. I do not think non-WB discs are immune to degrading over time either although it is less likely then WB. Also other labels used Cinram as well.
post #185 of 190 Old 11-24-2014, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's been a long time. I retired my old dusty HD DVD player for a while. I watched The Chronicles Of Riddick a few days ago.

It still looks and sounds great on HD DVD.
post #186 of 190 Old 11-24-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 384
I just watched The Shining HD-DVD and loved it! (Though I'd seen it before, it was still great to watch again).

Sadly, all the issues with HD-DVDs not working has me paranoid. I've had a few stop working, e.g. BladeRunner and others.
This makes me nervous about watching HD DVDs. It's not bad if I'm watching alone, but if it's a movie my family and I have been waiting to watch, or I've invited someone over, I'm now afraid the movie we are watching will crap out. I bought a Shining Blu-Ray as back up, just in case for the night we watched the HD-DVD
post #187 of 190 Old 11-27-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
...if it's a movie my family and I have been waiting to watch, or I've invited someone over, I'm now afraid the movie we are watching will crap out.
If you have an HD-DVD drive on your PC, you can try ripping it to hard disk which takes less than an hour and doesn't require you sit and stare at it. If there are errors, that doesn't necessarily mean your player won't play it (set-top players try to play-thru disc glitches) but ripping will tell you whether trepidation is warranted.

I use IsoPuzzle to rip, which shows you not only how many errors (un-readable/verifiable sectors) might be on a disc, but approximately where they are located. Some discs might have just one or two errors and you can fight through them, while others are virtually unreadable i.e. dozens/hundreds of errors and you have no prayer of them playing any more.
post #188 of 190 Old 11-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I just watched The Shining HD-DVD and loved it! (Though I'd seen it before, it was still great to watch again).

Sadly, all the issues with HD-DVDs not working has me paranoid. I've had a few stop working, e.g. BladeRunner and others.
This makes me nervous about watching HD DVDs. It's not bad if I'm watching alone, but if it's a movie my family and I have been waiting to watch, or I've invited someone over, I'm now afraid the movie we are watching will crap out. I bought a Shining Blu-Ray as back up, just in case for the night we watched the HD-DVD
I still have a large collection of HD-DVDs. In my experience, Warner is clearly the culprit with defective HD-DVDs. I've had little to no issues with HD-DVDs from other studios. And Warner has provided this customer excellent support by replacing all my defective HD-DVDs with the blu-ray releases.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #189 of 190 Old 11-27-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 208
is there HD-DVD's that are not produce in Blu Ray at this point in time?

DJoel
post #190 of 190 Old 11-27-2014, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
is there HD-DVD's that are not produce in Blu Ray at this point in time?
DJoel
Complete list of HD DVD titles (exclusives in Red)

A long-time audio/video addict!
Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page