looking for playback software for HD disks on a computer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 12-31-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
etp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just crossed flashed a LG GGW-H20L BD/HD burner and wondered if there were an links to be able to watch an HD/DVD off this drive or at least rip an HD version to my Hard Drive.

Thanks,

ETP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-27-2010, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
PowerDVD 7.3 on my computer plays HD-DVD, as well as Nero Showtime ( off my Nero 8 ),and I believe WinDVD still does play HD-DVD. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a free software out there
post #3 of 25 Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 AM

Power DVD 7.3 is the best choice for HD-DVD's on PC but Totalmedia 3 also plays HD-DVD movies fine.
post #4 of 25 Old 01-28-2010, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anydvd HD should be able to rip them to your hard drive. I believe there is a 21 day trial.
post #5 of 25 Old 01-28-2010, 12:51 PM

Like rr6966, I play my HD DVDs on the same drive as you with Nero 8 Showtime app. Works like a charm for both HD DVD and BR. If you can rip them to a drive, using AnyDVD, and convert to m2ts, VLC (free) plays the m2ts files fine.
post #6 of 25 Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 PM

Also, the version of PowerDVD 7 that comes bundled with the LG drive plays both HD DVD and BR, but unfortunately only supports 2 speaker output.
post #7 of 25 Old 01-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-eh! View Post

Also, the version of PowerDVD 7 that comes bundled with the LG drive plays both HD DVD and BR, but unfortunately only supports 2 speaker output.

It can be patched to enable 6 channel. Check the HTPC for details. I currently use TMT3, but have this installed as backup with 6 channel enabled.
post #8 of 25 Old 01-30-2010, 05:29 PM

Hey folks, I just picked up an XBox 360 HD-DVD drive cheap in hopes of shelving my Toshiba HD-A3 and using this little guy in the rare cases I need to pop in a HD-DVD (I've converted almost all my collection to BRD). However, like others I'm having real issues finding software to play it. I tried PowerDVD 6.5 and while it seemed to play for a few seconds here and there it is very unstable on my Windows 7 rig. Freezes/crashes frequently before I can even get an HD-DVD menu to come up. Also tried PowerDVD 7 but I got an error stating that the HD-DVD disc was a "disc with unsupported format." Just tried Corel's WinDVD and it's latest version also does not support HD-DVD. Anyone know what else I can try? I just can't seem to find a version of PowerDVD 7.2/7.3 anywhere to DL to try or even to buy. I find it absurdly frustrating that companies just completely dropped support for HD-DVD. Why remove code that won't need updating (since HD-DVD isn't going to change) from a player? I'd go right out and buy the newest version of PowerDVD/WinDVD, but both dropped HD-DVD support and won't offer older versions for sale. Fail on the part of those companies.
post #9 of 25 Old 01-31-2010, 09:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVrolok View Post

... like others I'm having real issues finding software to play it...

It is sad that all the current software players dropped support for HDDVD except TMT3. You might try downloading their trial from Arcsoft and see if it works for you.
post #10 of 25 Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

You can still purchase 'WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-ray' directly from Corel's website which plays HD DVD. It's $40. It's not the current version of the software (2010 is) but you can still purchase it.
post #11 of 25 Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Update...I just looked on Corel's website and the item is not listed as being available. I purchased the boxed/retail version last week and it shipped. I wonder if they took it off or if I got the last one. It is still available from Amazon.com but it's $58.99. Newegg doesn't have it.

And apparently they cancelled it after sending me a Shipped invoice????
post #12 of 25 Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterho3 View Post

It is sad that all the current software players dropped support for HDDVD except TMT3. You might try downloading their trial from Arcsoft and see if it works for you.

After a solid few hours of trying different software versions, even WinDVD 9 which supposedly works, but didn't for whatever reason, I found TMT3. Apparently it doesn't overtly list support for HD-DVD (ie it's not listed in the features, or ANYWHERE on the site that I could see), but I did find a thread on some forum where someone said it's still coded in the backend. And, luckily, it is. There's no HD-DVD icon like there is for every other format, but it did load up my HD-DVD. Didn't output audio, but I'm pretty sure there's no DD+ decoder in the trial. As soon as I confirm that, I'm going to purchase TMT3 Plat - really nice player. All after I had 3 of my HD-DVDs all converted to 1080p MKV. :P Now I won't need to waste nearly a TB storing them all for playback.
post #13 of 25 Old 01-31-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Last day for 25% off.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #14 of 25 Old 01-31-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Last day for 25% off.

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't notice the sale advertisement when I first viewed the page. Just picked up TMT3 Plat and it works wonderfully for my HTPC with XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive.
post #15 of 25 Old 02-01-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a question : Does anybody know if Nero 9 will play HD-DVD? I have Nero 8 and it will, but I kinda curious if I upgrade will this feature go away, like manyother softwares.
post #16 of 25 Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post

Does anybody know if Nero 9 will play HD-DVD?

Nero 9 does not play HD DVD.
post #17 of 25 Old 02-01-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Bean View Post

Nero 9 does not play HD DVD.

Kinda figured...another reason not to use Nero. Thanks!
post #18 of 25 Old 02-01-2010, 07:16 PM

I have an LG combo drive that I encased in an external housing to use as a portable drive for my laptop. I recently attempted to play an HD DVD and the program I was using, Cyberlink Ultra froze and crashed. I tried several HD dvd's. Now I have not had any problems playing any of my blu rays and this is the first time it isn't playing the HD DVD's. I reinstalled the software and the same thing happens. None of my HD's are working but Blu ray plays fine. Any opinions? Can I get another software program to play my HD's? Are there any free ones out there?
post #19 of 25 Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 AM

To all HD-DVD owners that uses Cyberlinks PowerDVD 7 software: I have been e-mailing back and forth with Cyberlink's support with regard to my LG GGC-H20L along with PowerDVD 7 (OEM) problems of audio and playback. Cyberlink finally came up with a conclusion of complimenting me with a full version of PowerDVD 7 Ultra (currently up-to-date). The result is NOT any of my HD-DVD movies will play it all. Although Blu-Ray plays fine except for "2010". I am so jealous to all of you who's running PowerDVD 7 and able to playback your HD-DVD movies. Please advice on what I need to do to enjoy my HD-DVD movies. I still have more than a dozen HD-DVD movies that I have not seen as of yet. It's been 4 days now and Cyberlink hasn't respond to my queries yet. I think they've given up on me

Please help.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-18-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelenor View Post

I have an LG combo drive that I encased in an external housing to use as a portable drive for my laptop. I recently attempted to play an HD DVD and the program I was using, Cyberlink Ultra froze and crashed. I tried several HD dvd's. Now I have not had any problems playing any of my blu rays and this is the first time it isn't playing the HD DVD's. I reinstalled the software and the same thing happens. None of my HD's are working but Blu ray plays fine. Any opinions? Can I get another software program to play my HD's? Are there any free ones out there?

You and I have the same problem. I have a LG GGC-H20L.
post #21 of 25 Old 03-18-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVrolok View Post

Hey folks, I just picked up an XBox 360 HD-DVD drive cheap in hopes of shelving my Toshiba HD-A3 and using this little guy in the rare cases I need to pop in a HD-DVD (I've converted almost all my collection to BRD). However, like others I'm having real issues finding software to play it. I tried PowerDVD 6.5 and while it seemed to play for a few seconds here and there it is very unstable on my Windows 7 rig. Freezes/crashes frequently before I can even get an HD-DVD menu to come up. Also tried PowerDVD 7 but I got an error stating that the HD-DVD disc was a "disc with unsupported format." Just tried Corel's WinDVD and it's latest version also does not support HD-DVD. Anyone know what else I can try? I just can't seem to find a version of PowerDVD 7.2/7.3 anywhere to DL to try or even to buy. I find it absurdly frustrating that companies just completely dropped support for HD-DVD. Why remove code that won't need updating (since HD-DVD isn't going to change) from a player? I'd go right out and buy the newest version of PowerDVD/WinDVD, but both dropped HD-DVD support and won't offer older versions for sale. Fail on the part of those companies.

You and I are having the same frustration with this HD-DVD issue. Even the PowerDVD 7 Ultra full version and its most up-to-date patches doesn't work at all. IT'S TOTALLY UNFAIR.
post #22 of 25 Old 03-29-2010, 06:29 AM

I did not try it by my self, but this is what other HD DVD users say:
The only PowerDVD version 3.19, NOT HIGHER, plays HD DVD correctly.
Do your research on the web and you will find that this is true.
post #23 of 25 Old 03-31-2010, 07:15 AM

The updated power dvd 7 ultra (which came bundled with the drive) has a problem playing hd dvd. (The audio loses sync with the video as it plays on) Apparently there is really no plan to fix this in future updates, so basically we're hosed. You can get around this by reinstalling power dvd 7 ultra to gain hd dvd functionality (but you lose blu ray updates). Cyberlink has suggested buying power dvd 9 for blu ray playback and keeping the un updated power dvd 7 ultra for hd dvd.
post #24 of 25 Old 04-08-2010, 07:50 AM

I am actually looking for an HD-DVD drive and proper driver software to put into my nee HTPC running Windows 7 Ult 64.. any help on that front ?
post #25 of 25 Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconmd View Post

The updated power dvd 7 ultra (which came bundled with the drive) has a problem playing hd dvd. (The audio loses sync with the video as it plays on) Apparently there is really no plan to fix this in future updates, so basically we're hosed. You can get around this by reinstalling power dvd 7 ultra to gain hd dvd functionality (but you lose blu ray updates). Cyberlink has suggested buying power dvd 9 for blu ray playback and keeping the un updated power dvd 7 ultra for hd dvd.

Either TMT 3 or PDVD 7.3 with AnyDVD-HD will allow you to play both.

My interest in PDVD ended along with their HD-DVD support.

Blu-ray: 50+
HD-DVD: 23
DVD: 600+ and lost count
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page